Depreciation Thread

>your car
>MSRP when released
>value today
>why?

Other urls found in this thread:

bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-850i-18/
redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/1997-bmw-328i-high-line-e36-manual/SPOT-ITM-209868
bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-bmw-m3-cabriolet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'll go first;
>your car
BMW 328i E36 Coupe High-Line w/ M sports package
>MSRP when released
Including options; $109,000 in 1997
>value today
Just bought it for 4 grand
>why?
FUCK YOU E46 FUCK YOU FUCK YOU
I'm fully convinced the e46 is solely responsible for the 'bmw is unreliable meme'
now nobody wants a used BMW with 250000 on the odometre

>$100k 3 series
for $100k you could buy a fully equipped 7 series user

I dare you to find a car that was in better condition for the price. The owners didnt know what they had, it was grandpa's car that he left the family when he died and nobody ever touched again. It still had his scottish music in the CD stack.
Also I'm not too knowledgeable on the 7 series but I dont think they came in a coupe, which was important to me.

I mean the brand new car prices.
E46 costed around $50k not $100k when new.
I've owned two e46 328 coupes too, one of the best daily drivers i've ever had

87 300zx
$41,493
2-3k?
why what?

wowee
have many problems like a lot of e46 owners say?
I've had to fix the window winders, locking mechanism and roof lining and its only been a month
>why what?
I mean, why do you think your car has depreciated like it has? your car in particular, not cars in general

Jaguar XJ 1974: $30.000, now 7-10k
Fiat panda: new 8000 euros, now 1900 euros

2006 bmw 330xi
$40k
$7k
Because cost of repairs and maintenance

My M3 was like $40k-ish on the papers in 1997. Got it in 2015 for $12k and they are appreciating now, have been for a few years. E36 is going up while E46 is still going down.

total future classic. keep it stock, user.

He probably meant $19k. Unless he is using some funny foreign dollar.

Also, pic.

USD my friend. My car was the absolute tip-top fully optioned out model. I'm aussie however.

I am not doing anything I can't undo, I save all the parts. Stuff like exhaust system, suspension, or wheel and shiftknob (which were degraded already) or the Genuine front splitter. Only thing that is tarnished is a few screw holes on the bottom of the rear bumper for the diffuser — it looks so good. You'd have to lay down on the asphault to see them though. OEM+

But I could never bring myself to do something like cut the fenders.

I don't want to sell it anyways. Can't see the point of getting a car from the high-computer age when I could just swap an engine if I wanted more power. I've already got the handling.

you have incredible taste user. what are you doing with your exhaust system? I need more sound out of mine because its so damn quiet I can't tell where Im supposed to be clutching and I keep stalling it.

How did your 328i cost over twice that of my M3? Was the PO a retard?

the original owner was an ultra rich guy. (his son was on a yacht at the time so I suppose its reasonable to assume). the car has every option available according to the little booklet in the glovebox, including the M sports package which boosts the price by 10,000, plus some other sports stuff.

my biggest problem was rust and diff bushings
solid cars in general

wait do you mean USD or AUD?
a fully equipped standard 3 series should not cost more than a 7 series lol

USD

This is a big copy paste.

· Cosmosschwarz Metallic on Black
· Sport Package
· Style 24s (LTW Double Spoked) 17x7.5/8.5
· Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45Z17R 245/40Z17R
· 5 Speed Manual Transmission
· High Arch Spoiler
· Eisenmann Race 83mm Catback
· Active Autowerke Track Pipe
· Active Autowerke O2 Simulators
· LTW/GT Splitter
· FANCYWIDE Diffuser
· DJ Auto Euro Projectors
· ST XTA Coilovers
· ECS 20mm Front Spacers
· French Highs & Fogs
· Corner Delete Mod
· Renown 130R Motorsport Competition Wheel
· MOMO 2008 Street Hub
· Condor Weighted Tall Shift Knob
AND COMING SOON...
· Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads
· Brembo Rotors
· Seibon Carbon Fiber OEM Style Hood

The hood is cause I took on a freeway UFO and think the money spent on repainting the stock hood is retarded when it is the same cost as a CF one. But I don't like the CF look so I will eventually have it candy coated if not fully painted.

Yeah USDM but it isn't a bad car, just not as spectacular as its brother. But hey, all the sales from them saved the M3 so you have us to thank haha.

Eisenmann is a very nice exhaust. No drone, very refined sound that keeps the true engine noise and not some exotic tone like the UUC Corsa RSC36.

He should have just gotten an M3 luxury package. The seats are comfier than my Vaders, I used to have one. But Vaders are ultra cool.

whats the designation? sports seats? cause I have those. theyre not bucket seats but apparently theyre 'sporty'. damn comfy.
thats a great list user, let us know how the brembos go. my brakes are cactus. what was the exhaust install like? is it a simple job? forgive me, Ive never done it before.

Calling bullshit. No way to get an e46 to 100kusd msrp

These things make my dingaling diamond.

E36, and apparently so.

Yeah sports seats. Used to have them heated and electronic. But these Vaders have none of that. The car is optionless except for the LTW wheels. The OP was a mechanic so he knew all that extra crap was just detractive.

But yeah, my back doesn't like the Vaders as much as my eyes haha.

Exhaust is easy. Headers would be hard, comparatively. But I've sheered two studs off the headers at different times, so I've had to have a shop fix that twice. Only issue is that my midpipe seems to leak between the sections.

But I don't have it on because I gotta pass SMOG, and the pre-cat O2 sensors dying in succession have delayed that.

Black Friday is gonna be when it all comes together again, new brakes, new hood, and I'll bother to put my track pipe on again. Also gonna get some Ground Control RSMs, I seem to have left them off the list.

>Mitsubishi triton MK, 2005
>around 23k AUD, maybe less
>I paid $2900 for it 4 months ago
>it has 260,000 km and is the poor mans hilux, also Mitsubishi’s have terrible resale value at lest in Australia

Pic is exact same model as mine, though I have a nudge bar

thanks for your input user, I need to replace my seats anyways I think I might go for more sports seats. GL with your build :333
harsh considering I see POS trucks go for ludicrous amounts here on carsales.com- some old shitty toyota hilux goes for 8000 constantly.

I'm a low energy Veeky Forumsutist with a E36 318i but goddamn, I'm going to get it to old-timer status

Checked an SL500, 2007 2 days ago.

Not sure but I think they were like almost 130k (swiss francs) new?
Was sold for 25k now.

Test drove it and I have no idea how mercedes can come up with such a digusting price tag.
Engine is weak. Exterior looks like pre 2000 (The one I drove actually looked superb, it had an AMG kit). Interior also pre 2000 and looks disgusting as fuck
Still shocked honestly. Especially since you can buy an 2012 Z4 for the same price which is better in every way possible.

Just shows me how fucked up mercedes can be.

Never get a used hilux, they cost way more than they’re really worth because idiots assume them to be the best. As someone who works with different utes all day if I was getting one that is newer I’d got for a D-Max, just as reliable as hilux but much cheaper.

>but user, stacey's boyfriend just bought her a new beemerrr, I need a mercedes, with the biggest badge on the front
realise what youre paying for user
wow really? Im thinking of buying a ute for the missus since shes getting her licence soon and I want her to be in the most indestructible vehicle possible.
do you have any experiences with old f-100s or similar?

They are one of the best parts of the car. One thing I would never change.

Yeah the sports seats are a lot easier to find anyways. I did come across a rare set of Modena Vaders with the full interior for an amazing price, like $800 and I think he dropped it to $500, but the fronts were torn up a bit.

What is old-timer status? Having the car until you are an old-timer or making the car like it is an old-timer's car which means stock and rarely driven?

>realise what youre paying for user
I literally feel bad for the people who bought these new. I mean it wasnt even worth it in 2007.

>1.2l 2012 vw polo (eurocuck here who gets tax raped by anything thats even slightly fun, pls no bully)
>18k new since my car does have alot of options (nav, pdc etc)
>bought it for 6k couple of months ago
>its a common shitbox ,that every wageslave drives in my country since its cheap to buy brandnew or lease.

pic not mine but looks similiar

its not bad looking and german. Im sure the ladies will love it user

1998 volvo v70 t5 manual
I think new they were about 50-60 ausd, which is about 80-90k nowadays
you can pick them up second hand for about 7-8k
why? because its a european semi-luxury car.

Are E46s that bad? I want to buy one because they're newer and look better than E36s, while costing the same on the used market in this country

well, the meme suggests that BMWs became infamously more unreliable once they went electric on everything; more computers, fly-by-wire throttle (pretty sure) etc. however its worth noting that its never the engine that fails, its everything else. BMWs from that era including some previous models had notorious issues with the cooling system.

also, e46s dont look better than e36s. youre objectively wrong

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
MSRP: $35,000
Value today: $24,000
Why? Because factory built race car.

I love the E46 M3's looks too, but for any other model, the E36 looks better. E36 was more homogenous, but that was a good thing. They put effort into the looks of all the models.

shit thats pretty good. sometimes I feel bad we dont get all the burger cars here in AUS, but then I remember our roads have turns in them
user your car is so fucking sexy

I put too much pride into it though, so any damage results in depression lol.

Yeah, but the 03-04 Cobra has irs and a supercharger. As well as bilstein shocks and Brembo brakes. They actually tracked as fast as the same year M3 and STi.

Depends on the previous owner. So it's prob fucked.
Never had any major problems on either my 323 or my m3. I do maintain them tho.

2007 Audi S6
I think it was close to $97,000 CAD new
I bought it for $15,000
Nobody wants to touch this thing out of fear, so nobody buys them

A 328i E36 coupe for 4k in aus? That's cheap as fuck. Is it an auto?
If it's a manual I find it hard to believe. If it's clean, even with 250k, 4k is a fucken good deal.

manual, 250k on the odo, barely any scratches, optioned out and in pristine condition. The guys who owned it had no idea what they had and they just wanted it gone cause grandpa's old car was taking up room in the garage. 1 owner, older car guy in his 60s who washed it every weekend. the roof lining needed regluing, the engine needed more oil and the window mechanism was a little screwy bt other than that it was flawless.

it was literally the best deal Ive ever gotten in my life. Im afraid ive used all my karma for this year and Ill have tremendously bad luck.

Fuck me I have a serious hard on for Green 90’s -00’s sport sedans right now.

Really want a geeen/tan IS300 manual right now.

>race car
>Mustang convertible

> not knowing what a Terminator Cobra
It doesn’t matter if it’s a vert or not. Stock, the very ran 0-60 in 4.5 sec, 2/4 mile in 12.6 sec, and tracked at the heels of the M3 and the coupe Cobra. It had chassis strengthening additions like farm connectors, cross brace, and sway bars. So, yes even the verts were factory built race cars.

Bloody hell, thats a good find. Lucky you.
I wanted a E36 328i coupe, but all the ones I found were clapped out rice mobiles sold by lebos, or clean examples sold by boomers that wanted $12k+. The convertibles are easy to find, but manual coupes are rare as.
I'm jelly mate, enjoy the car.

Ill start a green car thread soon. patrician taste user.

>1991 318is
>$21,750
>$1,400
>Because it's old

I've seen miled out rust bucket 318is's sell for 5 g. That is a stellar deal.

Various jurisdictions have different registration and insurance classifications for older cars. In Germany, for instance, an old timer is any car older than 30 years and no longer made. In North America various states/provinces have different registration for 25/30+ year old cars. Collector car insurance makes owning so much easier too. My six speed 850i costs me $150 a year valued at $15000. My 325ix just $70.

A lot of older cars are also exempt from emissions and inspection protocols.

It is part of the reason why good quality cars start appreciating as they approach their 25 year build date.

>(my recently purchased 146k km technoviolet m3)

>3 series
>not m3
>1996
>109k
>$170,055.28 in todays money
Fuck off mate, you're chatting massive horseshit

>30k mile 850i
>bought last year for $6500 CDN
>$100,000 MSRP in 1991
>bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-850i-18/
>Sat for ten years after export. Had to replace numerous systems (plugs, wires, pumps). Spent another $6000 cleaning that up and chasing after electrical gremlins. Past out of province, still lots of work left to get it to mint.

redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/1997-bmw-328i-high-line-e36-manual/SPOT-ITM-209868
hmm
+10,000 M sports package
+sunroof and others
seems like it to me

you lucky bastard. If I could own any other BMW it would be this or the 2002.

I really caught the bug last year, saw prices moving in Europe and live in western Canada where the flood of Jap imports nailed down the price on 90's BMW's to half what they would sell for elsewhere. Bought 4 e31's in the last year, three low mile autos and a decent six speed. Two e36 m3's, one of them a euro spec. Three e34's and five e30's. Most of them jdm. This is worse than a drug addiction.

Bong prices

OZ bucks were two thirds USD value in 1997. So we are looking at a $70000 car at most. About the same as a lightly optioned M3 of the same year.

Auto car magazine 1997

well that makes more sense. regardless, I think that it was a steal to get it for 4,000. Ill be sure to check in w my local economist before posting :3

Whats the mileage?

Going off the magazine:
1997: £31355 = Aus $53632.73

250,000. owned by an older car guy however so im sure its had proper maintenance .
the magazine doesnt have my car listed. Mine is the highline model which is above the executive one, which also doesnt seem to be listed.

The difference between the base and your model is not going to be $55367.27

apparently not. however, I dont own your magazine but I do have access to redbook.com.au, which shows the prices of cars in australia when the first account. who knows if that price accounts for things like import fees and taxes. I hope you can forgive me for my poor research user

Its a decent price. 250 k km is up there, the m50b28 is pretty bulletproof and 500 k km should be no problem if driven like an adult. Its a nice looking car no doubt, but collector types do look for low mileage. That's where your real price appreciation happens.

>Add $30 k in engine, transmission and suspension modifications and sell for $13 k
>bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-bmw-m3-cabriolet/

>when the first account
dont really know what I was typing there.
Im considering just replacing it with the 3.2l when mine dies, but I dont think I could bring myself to do it

I'm not gonna lie OP I was surprised to see how expensive it was, being as it's 20 years old now, I was expecting it to have been 10k or something. Looks like inflation isn't as crazy as I thought, if only houses followed the same path.

>tfw only 500,000 in my bank acc
THE HOUSING MARKETS GONNA CRASH ANY DAY NOW
JUST YOU WAIT ILL BE A HOMEOWNER SOON

It won't die. And swapping an engine out of a car is the worst possible thing an enthusiast can do with future value in mind. Its better to turbo, or supercharge it, at least you can back those mods off.

I will say this, I look at the absolute incredible price appreciation of e30 convertibles in Europe (Germany) and can't help to think that won't spill over into the e36's once they are H-plate eligible. Stock, unmolested cars sell for far more money than modified crap.

I dont really care for high performance mods. Id only get the 3.2 cause its closer to the M. its more of a grand tourer to me, so Ill be happy if the engine really does last
also its 2:34AM and I need to wake up in like 3 hours so goodnight

I'm only 24, colour me piss

Why is it that so many sportscars are compared to the same year BMW M3?

Isn't there a better benchmark?

I was going to make a joke but it seems I was actually right.

2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

Financed last year for 13,999

Current value 8,999

my parents had e46 when new it cost like $40.000 15 years ago. I think you're right about those stupid unreliability cause used 2nd handed drop below like nothing. e9x even worse on depreciation even way more costly when something break.

>Falling for the gook car meme
>Ever

what did you expect?

>your car
2002 avalanche Z66 package
>msrp new
Adjusted for inflation 34k
>value today
7k in its current condition
>why
Its a truck so its held value decently with only 6% average annual depreciation definitely not too shabby for a 15 year old truck

>bought for 7k in 2002, basest of the base trim
>now worth about 1.7k in good condition
>mine probably isn’t even worth $700 at this point

>Buying a fucking gook car in 2002

Holy shit we're reaching autism levels that shouldn't even be possible

Nigga who tf asked you

$39,900 new in 83, adjusted for inflation $100,696

Average value today $7,700

I bought it for $2800 but put a lot of money and time into it

>$110k E36 328
Maybe 110k yen or pesos

>7k for a 15 years old chebby
Don't look up craigslist desu

2001 Porsche boxster
5500-8500
Old, not seen as collectible, high mileage, cosmetic defects
Still a damn fun car

I want context for this picture

Proper shitbox had the 5spd hatchback a while ago, it's a shame companies don't offer poverty boxes anymore, shitsu mirage came close.

Not really, I'm in Australia so we don't really have those. My work imported some RHD F150's about 15 years ago but they ended up selling them because they broke down noticeably more than the Hiluxes and Landcruisers

>your car
2001 Mercedes CL500
>MSRP when released
£72,683 on the original invoice in the car's history file
>value today
£3,200
>why
a) price of petrol in the UK
b) the car might have been cheap but it'll still bankrupt me when the ABC hydraulic suspension shits the bed.

Some sort of drilling company I'm guessing? The company I work for did pretty much the exact same thing. Only two left in the fleet and they are the bosses company cars.

2012 Mazdaspeed3, Touring, with auto dimming mirror, and TECH package. (Basically the highest trim level and every option equipped).

>$27,000

Mine has 96,000 miles on it, in good condition, but is modified.

If it was stock, it could be sold private party for $10k, trade in $8,500.

So... depending on the buyer, I could ask for $11-12k for private. For trade-in, I'd probably get $5-6k