/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

Fresh new spin on an old classic edition.

> Previous Thread
> Play Demo Day 15
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Play Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Helpful links
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/JqsQerui

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

> How into .webm
OBS: obsproject.com
Webm for retards: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

track5.mixtape.moe/yglxyb.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reposting from last thread.
I dont have enough time anymore, and probably still wont have for almost a decade. So i decided to make the entire game with very lazy and rough pixel art. It was quite hard giving up on the fancy pixel assets i had done before, but if i kept that id never finish it. Also had to make the game a lot more static and strategy based. After i have the entire game done, i may have money enough to pay people to redo the assets.

Joining the army or something?

Maybe he got a girlfriend

Yep thats the one. Theonian helped a lot, so it could make it into the lewd jam. He did 4 of the sprites for it.

>10 years of gf/wife based nodev
RIP

>forgot to put the pic

Entered Med School and in my country it is an absurdly time taking and long course.

Do you guys want another lewd jam?

>Med School
Oh, yeah. That'd do it. When you get out you'll have so much moolah you could pay people to make your game and you wouldn't have time to play it lol

I don't know if there would be the same amount of hype.

If we were going to do another lewd jam (admittedly I won't participate since my skill is already beyond needing to work in jams) I'd suggest at least having a more specific theme.

> that webm

Lewd jams are the best.

No lewd jam just make a waifu jam.

Bad idea, lewd is just restrictive enough already.

If there was another theme what would you want?

nobody wants another jam

Hmm oops. I tried brainstorming some more specific ideas and came up short. Guess "lewd jam" is about as good as it gets. You could go into specific fetishes... but that basically shuts out everyone who doesn't care for that specific fetish.

Jams are great for greenhorns. There's a constant flow of them to these threads, and they seem open to them.

Sorry about your crippling depression, though.

Boat Invaders: like Space Invaders but you have to shoot refugee boats in the ocean.

I'd play it.

if you're a greenhorn you'll never finish anything in 48 hours

Could I make money off of an undertale clone or will I be closing the barn door after the horse is already gone?

agdg jams are usually two weeks, they fill a different niche

And yet you'll still learn a lot (not the least of which is "restrict your goddamn scope")

Not even a year has passed from the previous lewd jam. Make it a yearly thing like Halloween/Winter jam if you want but don't force it everytime you feel like fapping. Most jams have been a source of pure shitposting latelly.

I'm in favor of a yearly september lewd jam.

does anyone have experience with recording original sound effects? I kind of wanted to create my own wilderness ambience/footstep sfx/etc., by hitting up the nearby forest trails. I was wondering what would be the best devices to use for something like that, outside of banking on the standard microphones in my cameras.

Screenshot before bed: new assets!
How's my programmer art?

my parents decided to stop my neetdom and make me go to college

I want to make a successful game and if I don't by the time I'm 30, I'll probably just kill myself

what major should I pick for university to help me make game?

This year you fucks should try to keep it in your pants. Last lewdjam made its way to other websites and even /v/, and then people there started whining and crying "why no lolis allowed on even if you're hosting on an external website that doesn't allow them? Reeee this isn't a Veeky Forums jam it's a reddit jam!!!" despite the fact that they probably had no intention to contribute in the first place. (As seen by the fact that there were only a couple of games despite over a hundred people registering)

I'm sure you could, still a lot of fans clambering for more since toby hasn't done anything new or announced anything new.

Computer science.

Here's some progress. Easily scaled up to 4 players, then started making a basic GUI. Got health working in that regard, at least for test purposes.

>lewd is just restrictive enough
not really, is a really open theme wich gives you a lot of freedom, which is the main issue of agdg jams in my opinion.

Medical Science
So you'll know the difference between medicine and poison doses, and you can kill yourself painlessly.

>implying good coding skills matter in this day and age to make a successful game

Perfectly servicable, I can tell the screenshot has a pot, a rock, and a tree. The tree is actually quite nice.

Here's some progress:
Scoring system added
Score, wave and lives are now being displayed on screen
Added a Game Over screen
Enemies can shoot bullets at the player now
Enemy speed and their projectile speed increases based on wave number
Added and edited some sprites
Added some sound effects
Started utilizing screen shake effect for various events
Player can destroy enemy bullets
Added an overheat mechanic, but removed it afterwards as it hampered the gameplay
Removed the rocket in its current state as it was ineffective
Actually had fun devving and playing the game.

I know this is basic stuff, but I'm really looking forward to adding new things and exploring potential mechanics.

>needing a degree to kill yourself

Damn, life keeps getting harder and harder for drop-outs like me.

You have to tune the restrictiveness of the theme to the size of the audience. Agdg jams are open because there are around 150 devs here at a time, so the difference between 5% and 10% joining a jam matters.

Another way to think of it is, half of the theme of an agdg jam is just "be an agdg dev".

The rock is actually my slime placeholder for the character, but without the animation, it definitely looks like a rock. Thanks for your feedback!

Shoot 'em ups are literally the easiest games to make. In fact, if you make a shoot 'em up, you're not even a real dev.

ok

Yeah, but make a good one.

try to make a shmup with original gameplay

>Its another "pedophiles want another lolijam but they wont even participate" episode

>Shoot 'em ups are literally the easiest games to make.
Incorrect. Pong is.

The enemy bullets look a bit hard to see, but good job in your progress!

cookie clicker is the easiest game to make, just try to find an easier game

shumps are just pong with more balls

I'd say pong is a little easier. You need some decent data structure knowledge for CC, but pong is all physics.

How much programming skill would I need to make a game like A Link to the Past in GameMaker?

That's another thing to tick off the todo list.

intermediate programmer, so like 3 or 4 skill points.

At least 3.

tfw level 9 programmer

fuck, can I make do with 2?

Thanks and yeah I agree it can be a bit hard to see, though I plan on having higher res sprites down the road even though the current look started to kinda grow on me.

This is all a prototype anyway, just laying down the foundation for what I really want to make.

You'll have to reduce your scope and will spend a lot more time on refactoring.

I WANT TO PLAY
I WANT TO PLLLLLAAAAYYYYYY

You're first game sets up a world/universe so you can establish a franchise.. right?

tfw level 20 nuts of chaos unlocked programmer

Does it make you upset that Fight-Knight dev saw what you were doing and decided, Hey I'm going to do that with Custom Graphics and add X Y Z to the mix, then get money off of an almost completed project from Kickstarter + Sales

mine has lots of DEEPEST LORE that I haven't actually thought out but will surely make my audience come up with wacky theories to keep the buzz alive

This looks more fun than fight knight but has worse graphics.

not sure how i feel

I could be your artist, unfortunately the memes here make that impossible.
It didn't have to be like this

How the fuck can you get mad at a doom clone 20 years later

What compiler and IDE do you guys use on Windows 10 for your C++ programming?
Is Codeblocks + MinGW good? I don't feel like signing in to Visual Studio Express every time I want to use it, and my internet sucks so I'll be losing connection often.

Good luck!

looking for a unity developer or 3D animator to help with our fighting game

i dont get it
why dont you just like

make a damn actual 3d game instead of this gimmicky DOOM 90s bullshit

Nice falseflag

Since I'm making sort of a hero shooter/moba with random characters, I expect my future community will be the one coming up with all the necessary headcanon and shipping, so it will be easy for me to pick and choose what gets to be official lore to keep the community happy. Basically what Blizzard does with Overwatch's lore.

>there's a hand on the screen so they're the same game

Don't do a fighting game, even if you have only 5 characters the amount of time it takes to balance it would be astronomical for a team less than 10 people.

You're not gonna make it champ.

Almost done.

No? Fight Knight is fisticuffs focused and battles are separate instances. GMOTA has all kinda of crazy shit. Like webm related
track5.mixtape.moe/yglxyb.webm

Because I started this three years ago, I'm not about to abandon it. I don't see how it's gimmicky though.

Literally three people in this thread alone (who are most likely developers and not just people who buy games) compared the two games to eachother.

Also why are you name fagging if you dont even have a game?

TIME TO DRUNK DEV AND HATE MYSELF TOMORROW BOIS

Starting on diving attack for tomorrow. Goodnight.

Holy shit fight knight is looking awesome defintly gonna back you.

Super cute

Kind of reminds me of that first level in Doom 2.

That's because it's a doom mod.

Should I have one slider for gender, or should I have a slider for gender as well as a tickbox for sex?

I think players would rather express themselves via their gender over their sex, since it's a game.. But this might offend transphobes if I don't include binary options as well.

Thanks but I think you're a little confused, my knight is short, green and jovial, fight knight is big, red, and angry.

That's cus it is.

No one suggested that, pedophile.

text box so they can feel like it matters.
or you can stop being a fagot and pandering

Really liking your work user, you've been showing off some neat and fun stuff.
Though as others have said, it would've been really cool if it was its own game rather then a mod, it can still be an amazing mod as well. Either way it looks like something I'd want to play. Just keep working on it and stay motivated.

Minor suggestion though. Perhaps it would be better if you used a custom made test map rather than e1m1

>talk about jam
>pedophile nodev shitposter instantly shows up

I genuinely want to make a test map/hub world based off the dark space from illusion of Gaia, honestly. Where the player can spawn monsters to test out weapons and equipment.

One day though, I want to revisit GMOTA and make it into a standalone overhead game that'd play like a cross between smash TV and Doom, just with more melee. But I also want to make some games with the characters I'm making here. That's the plan after I finish up GMOTA.

It's like X with Y and maybe some Z
This is bad game design fallacy.
You're never going to make a game, you don't have the brain for it.

:fire:

>baby's first idea
Nah, he just needs to work ideas more / get some direction. For us non cripplingly depressed folks, we can learn from our mistakes.

Working fine for me so far, chuckles. What do you have to show for your superior ideology? I bet you take notes from extra credits you wiener.
I bet you wear your underwear on backwards, and like it.
You're probably the kinda guy that wipes his ass from back to front.

Working on a new inventory UI, a lot of the stuff is placeholder but here is the idea behind it

I fucking love physical inventories the characters actually interact with.

Youre trying to use baby corny style jokes on me to make it seem like it's all in good jest but to put across the point you don't like me. That's perfectly fine, you're making a doom clone that everyone thinks is fight-knight. Youre literally a miserable person with nothing to show or it. Three years you've been making that shit, and Fight knight shows up and in 180 days wipes the floor with you.

I bet you steal code from random sources
I bet you don't know how to actually code
You're probably the kinda guy who cobbles together bits and pieces of codes from year old forum posts.

No, he'll literally never make it, he's weak. You're weak, for pretending to be a different poster and defending him.

That animation is pure swag, well done.

that is the slickest fucking inventory in pixelshit history

I can't for the life of me decide if I want to make my state machine with enums/switches or with a dictionary and classes. fuck.

I just don't like namefags that think they're smarter than people and have no game to show for it. This'll be the last (you) you get from me.

Stay mad. You strange shitposter.

>attempting to discredit both PHI and doomclone
user in one night
impressive work