RX-8

I'm fascinated by the RX-8. and i want it. but all the talk about rotary engines not being reliable kinda puts me off. pls help me decide.

At this point, if you're having to ask in such a stupid manner, you'd only be hurting yourself by getting an RX-8. The Rotary Engine needs constant attention, you can't let it sit, the stock ignition is garbage, and it needs to be frequently driven hard to avoid carbon build up. At this point, you're going to have a hard fucking time finding one that is clean.

You don't even use new pictures when you post this same fucking thread continuously

RX-8's engine was actually pretty reliable. RX-7's was fucked. Fuel economy killed rotary, not the reliability.

i got this shit off google images, i just needed a pic related

>tfw no mods

I owned one. Firstly no gas mileage. Secondly it is extremely important to be attentive to the fucking thing. Third any exhaust mod will be migraine inducingly loud. They're also slow so Good luck. Don't make my mistake.

This, every fucking week we have this thread. Mods should just sticky a thread about rotary ownership and such for rx7s and rx8s

Rx8s must be at that shit stage where most engines are right on the end of their first life, or have just been shittily rebuilt because the cars aren't worth spending real money on

RX-8s are great for engine swaps

Everyone hating on the rotary is either ignorant or a total fucking homo

Rotaries are the pinnacle of what passion in business is, the underdog that almost nobody pays any attention to yet for the select and dedicated few brings the joy comparable to being a rich little shit with a lambo

It forces you to learn about cars and how they work in order to not be a literal money pit. A strict maintenance schedule that you cannot skip on is what you MUST have.

Im soon going to work in a shop that does rebuilds, swaps, turbos, etc...

depends on what you mean by reliable, do you want it to run for 1 000 000 miles with just oil changes every 5 years then its not but if you want something that if kept in proper condition with yearly maintenance will deliver you tons of fun for not really that much a cost in a long run

Also it's extremely easy and cheap to get one in good condition, the only problem is having to be able to check the compression but that you can learn in 30 min with a 5 sec google search

they are good engines, but you will need to be very invested in it. the reliability meme is stupid and even if you do need to take it apart its by far the easiest engine to work on. also you need to rev it to at least 6k evertime you shift.
i fucking hate you

I'm at 150k on the original engine.

I've used my for track-work
I've used it for work-work, with tools in the boot and lengst of pipe through the ski-hatch.
I've taken it on weekends away withj friends.
I've commutted it in traffic.

It still runs.

All it took was regular maintenance and a good, regular caning. Just look after it, and you'll get a car that's fun to drive, sounds fun and revs to the moon.

And smells like a refinery fire and jets flames with the catalytic converter out.

This desu

Assmad rotard detected your engine is shit and will always be shit

get the MPS instead desu senpai

you're just mad that on average you shift below 6000 rpm

It's a bit of a shallow rabbit's-hole to make them reliable, but it's not so bad. If you like the noise and revving of a rotary, then it's worth it. Rebuilding them is easy as shit, and removing your OMP and premixing your fuel is generally a good idea. There are no warning if your OMP fails.

Are you upset that you little snowflake design is complete shit and literally ANY piston engine would have served that chassis better?
Sperg

give me proof bitch.

I'm well into my second year of owning an early model RX8 with no real problems that aren't age related. The big (must) thing is to upgrade the ignition coils. The next big thing is a bigger radiator. Just about at 145k on the chassis right now, and I THINK (as said by the guy who sold it to me, who also worked at a Mazda specialty shop for a while) it may have already gotten a new warranty engine before I got it. I got it at around 120k.

Keep it oiled, keep it cool, premix the gas, drive it hard and it will last.

That is, assuming the motor is good when you get it. If you can, get it compression tested before you buy.

Don't feed the obvious no-car.

The picture I posted is an RX-8 with a J32A2 from a CL Type-s
>produces 30 more hp than the renesis stock
>better on gas
>more reliable
>more accepting of mods
The swap is a no brainier, who in their right fucking mind would be another rotary after the initial engine blows? That's insanity
>no car
You really have no idea what you're talking about you butthurt rotard

>You really have no idea what you're
>produces 30 more hp than the renesis stock
rotarys can make a shit ton more than what they can stock. porting the engine is a really easy way of doing this
>better on gas
get a prius faggot
>more accepting of mods
where the fuck did you hear this?
rotarys are stupidly easy to modify.
i know but its fun to argue people who have no idea what theyre talking about.

The most a Renesis can make NA is around 270, turbocharging it is not advised, it is literally the worst 13b ever
>get a Prius
Stop being mad your shitty engine keeps getting BTFO by pistons, cuck

>caring about power in an RX-8
>Take away one of it's most unique features.

Why even buy a rotary engine car if you're gonna swap it? There's literally no point.

>perfect balance car
>9k redline
>Muh engine swap

Don't buy an Rx8 unless you can swap in a new motor. The problems are somewhat over played, but it still happens enough to be prepared. You could probably buy and drive one for a year or two without problems if you do a compression test and change the coils.

Because the chassis is good even if the engine is shit, the weight balance isn't fucked up with a V6 in it, and if it wasn't a J series it would be a HFV6 from a Camaro

>muh high revs
>implying a j series can't rev high
>implying the weight balance would be fucked up
Purists can be such plebians

LS swap. Renesis is garbage.

rensis is garbage, but you can manage it.
its hard to do with emissions, but you have to premix the fuel. take care of your emissions system or the car limp modes, watch your temps, never let it over heat, and changed your oil every 3k RELIGIOUSLY.

rx8s are fine, they have a lot more problems than a 13b, but as long as youre not a shit owner, youll be fine.

It's already 3200lbs of pigfat. Another 50 wont hurt it.

get real cocksocker.

the Rx8 was a special car, that can be immensely enjoyable if used for it designed purpose. A sports car unlike nearly all others. Perfect weight balance and a high Redline engine that you can thread through bends with great precision and feel. Have a connection to the car that is rare, and vanishing. Ad 30 HP, hack job mounts, and adapter plates, and be ok with never ending mystery reliability. Where trouble shooting problems becomes a nightmare because you hacked so much shit apart including the ECU. tear tear that dash apart and figure how every gauge works correctly now.

would Veeky Forums an RX8 with a Twingo engine?

Never has this board seen so much meme in one machine.

I am awestruck.

do this thanks cya

Still awestruck

dorito was a mistake

you were a mistake

>car "enthusiast" board
>almost nothing but bitching and whining when discussing one of the most enthusiastic driver's cars ever made

This really is a board of benchracers isn't it? Kek, enjoy your econoboxes anons

I feel bad for rotary enthusiasts.

That gen RX-8 ruined the reputation for rotary engines. The cabin got way too hot, the engine failed around 80k~100k cause apex seals, it had that stupid happy face and wasn't a wedge, Eugh

Perhaps it was designed to fail so Mazda could raise up.

>lol apex seals
The engines failed due to too restrictive cats, bad owners not revving them out, not enough oil injection because emissions, etc.

Am I looking at a 4bt in an RX8?

The FD was what originally started all the reliability memes, which was somewhat deserved given all the twin-turbo fuckery.

Previous RX-7's with the naturally aspirated motors can easily make 200k without a rebuild if they're taken care of right though.

In NZ only faggots and Eminem wannabes own rotaries.

Just get a V8 anything, much more torque and no mind boggling maintenance bullshit.

6bt

>rotary, despite being a German invention, would probably one of Japan's most unique engineering efforts
>a national desert, rice cakes, are shaped similarly to the rotors inside

Much like how we call them dorito spinners, do they Japanese call them rice cake spinners?