Angband 4.1.0 has been released:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=122044#post122044
New 4.1.0 Oook.cz comp which no one from here will play:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php
URR (non-)update:
ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2017/06/24/burnout-and-the-future/

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Escaped the dungeon with 754 posts!, and the orb of white supremacy!:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4sFk7HtvXN8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>angband comp is forced_descent
i would probably play it if not for this
ironman is too uncomfy though

Ever since I started playing POWDER on the PSP, I always miss my connections and forget to get off at the right station, so I guess it's a good game.

And after my 5th try I finally gathered enough XP to chose a god. For some reason my female characters last longer than the male ones, but I guess that's just a coincidence.

I'm doing my best, but I don't have much time at home.

BEOGH SMITES YOU

ouch that really hurt

You die..

>When you try out Deep Dorf for the first time and start worshipping Makhleb

Nevermind i just got sent into abyss at level 7, had a group of high level monsters teleport around me out of nowhere and had my greater servant turn on me.

greater servants have a chance to be hostile when summoned

I've been here a lot longer than you. Now would you kindly off yourself.
Thanks.

Is investing in smithing a good idea in Sil?

i'm suprised you've lasted so long with such a sever case of cancer

If you are playing 1.1.0 or earlier sure.
Smithing is kind of suffering in 1.2.0/1.3.0.

No, it'll make you want to kill yourself. Smithing was a pain even before they nerfed it into the ground.

i thought you quit roguelikes forever after it became apparent that you weren't going to get your name onto a jaypeg twice

Well cancer can't kill you in lichform. It just damages my stats all the time.

why is crawl such bullshit

Hey.
You.
Stop playing crawl.

i can't

I liked Tome4 quite a bit until I started up my 6th character and realized that the 5-radius light bottle accessory that I always got on the first marsh map was actually just dropping coincidentally.

It's shit when you can't see.

Stop being a fucking loser.

Who of you fuckers is "MrRemoveYourBloat"? I think you are doing a great service for this community :)

>OP pic
What is this, AGDG?

We've got too many god damned idea guys in this thread.

25th for COBRA naga fighter with shield and axe of Makhleb

Best Op stabber class? As or En?

As

Fi

Why a naga exactly? Wouldnt something like a minotaur work better with an axe?

>Wouldn't ... a minotaur work better
No shit. NaFi^Makh was a meme for two weeks, but it's pretty much doomed to die now.

youtube.com/watch?v=4sFk7HtvXN8

M i B e
i i
B B
e e

>Deep Dwarf
>Intermediate

Newbies have a lot of trouble with the noregen.

HELLO

ITS ME

>PSP
why tho? just get any NDS/GBA emulator in your phone, you can even pass as a normie

POWDER is decent, but is too easy to break imo

Fi for the free shield

You can easily find a blowgun and a decent knife

>Draconian
>Simple

*appears in a herd of 6 before you even reach the lair*

*e(v)okes legs*

nuthin personnel

Why don't more people here play Yiufcrawl? I just tried it and it's really fun and fixes many complaints here have about crawl

>this task is too simple to train your piercing past 6
What? Im boxing this fucker, there is no piercing involved. Also I get this message even on hulks, whats stronger than a hulk so I can train my melee skills?

>whats stronger than a hulk so I can train my melee skills?

Depending on your monster evolution factor, it will take the rest of the year/another year for you to discover it.

Well go on, tell us what it's like. I'm curious
>tfw
POWDER is great, I almost feel like it accomplished the whole "be easy enough to understand right off the bat" thing that crawl did, except it feels more fun.
I finally stopped playing Crawl yesterday. Read Crawl's subreddit/the tavern and the dev comments on GitHub for an hour and you'll be so annoyed at the autism that you'll stop wanting to play the game.
?
>still dying in the abyss
KEK
Alternatives? Any with good GUI?Hello!
Draconians aren't that hard. Especially with poison or steam, comfy af to gas everything in your path. Also blocks smiters and arrows which is very useful.
CDDA is like the polar opposite to Crawl. Instead of things getting removed for no reason, things get added for no reason. While simultaneously ignoring all the broken parts of the game like this (which aren't even broken but """"realistic"""")

Ligh is tome's shittiest meme mechanic.

You dont need to start Fi really, As is just fine, even En but En early on is bit strange, -1 spellcasting apt can be a pain

at least crawl got light radius right - seems like every other roguelike has asymmetrical light radius so enemies can see you but you can't see them, necessitating the hellish tedium that is detection

Yiufcrawl is basically normal with bloat and memes added. It has a kung fu god that lets you do backflips on walls and shit like this.

When is it good in crawl to use staves? I just picked up Yiufs staff of chaos and it seems really good in the early game, but I don't see them scaling in the late game...

Are they basically just good in early by cross training axes?

they require very little skill investment to reach mindelay, letting you improve on other skills instead (and they unlock certain melee effects for magic staves, but they are irrelevant)

Lajatangs are rare to find too, but very solid weapons

It's not about how strong it is, it's about how hard it is to hit. You need something that dodges better than a big lumbering zombie.

Pop in the sewers to check for C.H.U.D.s, maybe?

>Instead of things getting removed for no reason, things get added for no reason. While simultaneously ignoring all the broken parts of the game like this (which aren't even broken but """"realistic"""")

That's a meme.

how do I set up cataclysm better?

my first attempt at worldgen made the roads stupidly huge and there is nothing remotely useful nearby the bunker (I chose a fairly noob start to learn the game.)

also slightly related, android version of the same doesn't load tiles even on M8 with power saving off (cpu unlocked.) just pointing that out incase dev hangs here.

Staff on its own, probably not.. But lajatangs are pretty cool if you can find any, usually the earlier you can get one is via agnes if she spawns in some of the branches with the rune or in the dungeon
As for the chaos brand, it scales pretty great into late game, it ignores mr so you can petrify/sleep enemies on hit if the effect happens, obviously.. and you can just fuck them up like that

Did you increase the distance between cities or something?
If not, you may have just gotten a remote start by chance. That's actually not so bad because it means there's a good buffer space between you and wandering hordes.

dcss noob here. I found a vampiric war axe at lair with 20 points in axes. And also have an exec axe of execution.
I heard vamp is pretty strong on axes, is it worth to ignore the executioners axe and go start training shields?

The default settings are ok for starting out. I find that making distance greater between cities actually makes the game easier because a lot more mansions and farms spawns and they always have good loot for the beginning.

I was a bit away from the main town, but the problem was the road proportions, unrealistically wide, felt like I was in mario 3 big world.

What, like a two-lane highway? Those can be generated, but they're rare.

yes and it was every road. buildings seamed fine.

Weird, all the roads were the two-tile highways? I've never seen that happen. Are you running latest experimental? Maybe somebody working on the mapgen code.

Nope, unless you're a DD.

Only winners play deep dwarfs. Don't you read the dcss blog posts?

All the roads are like that. They are silly on foot (it takes almost two minutes to cross the road) but look okay with vehicles since most are around five tiles wide.

Hm I dont remember whats supposed to happen. I guess nether creatures? But more importantly where is my sweet loot??

>a cursed -2 post of fumbling

>hacking roguelike

what game?

hownew.ru

Caves of Qud makes for a pretty fun game. The ASCII version, at the very least.

CDDA.

Who would have thought a barbarian with 4 INT and wearing an iron helm and shield of reflection would be able to cast magic missile at 0% fail?

guess who started playing sil for the FIRST TIME EVER
actually I'm going to READ THE ENTIRE MANUAL BEFORE STARTING MY FIRST GAME

LIKE I'VE DONE SINCE I WAS TEN

I appreciate that, I do the same.

The tutorial is actually pretty good too, do it.

Since you are experts, how long do I have to expect to play until I win for the first time?

Depends on how good you are at roguelikes, also if you play stealth pacifist or not

So is this another unfinished thing or what? There is a useless portal that I cant do anything with, I got a random mutation and it blinded me the second time I tried it. Is that it?

Told you it was like Violated Heroine.

Don't fuck with the portals, they're bad news.
And yes, it's unfinished. There's more stuff planned for the portals in the future.

Yeah, it dates back to the whales-era and has never done anything.

Nigs, I'm on 700' and even better I don't feel weak as shit and terrified for once. Sil sure does load you up with loot past about 500'.

Thing is, I'm starting to run into things with Entrance, and while so far whacking them in the face with Glend has meant they haven't had a chance to try it, I have to ask: what counters it, because it sounds like splat.

>There's more stuff planned for the portals in the future.
Yeah just like how Ashley will be a fully-playable character "in the future".

okay so I'm gonna start playing sil now and I'm going to assume that edains are pretty much just bottlenecked into a rogue build that uses perception and stealth to enhance critical hits and control combat and generally shenanigan every situation

if I go primarily with ranged combat will it be enough to only melee as a last resort or a stab and will I need to pick up versatility to pry out the silmaril? is versatility alone enough to stab with assassination when appropriate and yakkity sax out of there with evasion when things get scary?

I guess I'll find out how many skills I can actually afford and the perception/stealth thresholds by trial and error

no I'm not going to play any dwarves or elves ever you know veronica wouldn't do that

Have you got anything to contribute to the discussion besides being a snotty asshole?

>shenanigan every situation
I'm just going to say this perfectly describes what I love about roguelikes.

>ranged edain
Sounds pretty hard honestly. You dont have archery affinity like elves so you probably want to use your xp in better skills than versatility. Also, why the hell would you try to stab things if you are an archer?

He is fishing for (You)s.

Kinda figured, he seems unreasonably butthurt.

Honestly, Sil is so granular that it's easier to just go play it than ask us. Also Edain are hard as shit for beginners, because granularity and lower stats.

Stab builds are also pretty hard to do.

What do you mean by granular?

well, that's a good way on Veeky Forums to get attention

Every point matters a significant amount. So much so that you have to play Sil a bit and then think about your approach to inital builds, in my opinion, because 'eh, fuck it' isn't a good idea and some things do require exact values.

don't you have to set up a melee roll to get the sil

ok so if archery isn't a good idea will it work to focus on evasion and perception and do melee via footwork

>think about your approach to inital builds
HADOR
5/1/1/1
9 POINTS IN MELEE
CHARGE + MOMENTUM
NO THINKING REQUIRED

You put thought into that build, though.

it's more a damage roll than a melee roll.

And no, if you want to melee things you gon' need you sum melee score. Mobs get very hard to hit otherwise. Especially if you ever want to see crits. Perception skills are pretty good supplements, though.

Honestly, best first build in Sil is stealth/perception with a couple of evasion perks, stealth perks, and Loremaster.

Take a tour.

If you dont want to suffer too much, just go melee/evasion, and all the rest is bonus. You will probably want some Will as well as an Edain to avoid stat drain, and you want the Con point too anyway.

I think I'll probably go with Stealth and Perception, to what I think is -enough- for this depth, then put the rest into melee/evasion, trying to get the most immediately beneficial skills, and just used ranged as a way of harassing enemies and breaking up formations