Redpill me on the norteamericano Ford Ranger

Redpill me on the norteamericano Ford Ranger.

I want a cheap simple truck I can fix myself. Want to be able to throw a motorcycle in the back, and want it to be decent on gas. And want it to run basically forever with preventative maintenance.

Are these things all rusted to pieces by now (I'm in Canada)? What to look out for?

Other urls found in this thread:

tacomaworld.com/threads/2006-v6-automatic-transmission-failure.68278/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I was in the market for one recently only to find that they were very overpriced. Anything under 100K miles was over $10K.

I assume a Tacoma will be even more overpriced.

Did you look at B-Series? (maybe they're cheaper without the "cachet")

Wow wasn't this thread posted already this week?

If so link, it wasn't by me.

Get a Tacoma. Ranger's are piles of shit.

I'm also in Canada and was looking for one last year. Some people were asking as high as $16-18k for them. Anything priced reasonably was beat to shit, rusted out, or very high mileage. Good luck

Tacomas can be bought for reasonable prices but rangers will always be cheaper
.t tacoma owner

Wasn't there a thread about this yesterday , everyone said to get a Tacoma instead

keep in mind that while Tacomas are the better trucks, finding parts in junkyards is almost impossible, OEM is expensive

Ford Dangers parts are plentiful and cheap

Would 100% recommend a ranger over a tacoma. Not sure about your local market, but here in CA rangers are a dime a dozen while tacomas command ridiculous prices. A little 4 cylinder manual transmission ranger will put on forever.

I have a 2000 3.0 v6 model. MN so about the same climate as Canada. 130,000 miles or so when I bought it for 3400 USD, alternator did shit the bed but that's to be expected. No other real problems. Rust is there but not too bad. 9/10 comfy truck would recommend. Note that 2wd means open diff though, so get a 4x4 if there's any mud pits en route to a dirt bike riding area. Oh and the 3.0 oil filter is a bitch but it's not the end of the world.

Nice meme xD

Did you find / think of a better alternative?

>
Seems minus the shitposters rangers are good.

A few hundred miles south in washington state, they go for 2-6k between 100 and 200k miles

Tacos here go for 5-10k at the same mileage.

Is the Frontier a pile of shit? Seems to go under everyone's radar.

some 00-05 models apparently have shit electronics IIRC

I think some years have auto transmissions that shit out pretty regularly

>Note that 2wd means open diff though,

Not necessarily, a few had LSD's

If the axle code starts with a letter, not a number, its an LSD.

My 2WD 2004 b-series had an R7

Not true GM codes are G__ insert 2 numbers no matter if LSD or not. If there is a G80 code in addition to the other axle code then its a limited slip of whatever gear ratio is stated in the G__ code. For example my truck is GT4 and G80 meaning 3.7 gears and LSD

Yes thats great but we are talking about Ford not GM.

I have an 04 Ranger and I love it. I've had it for 5 8 years now, and its got 278k miles on it.
Mines a 4x4 with the 4.0L V6
Its been more than enough truck for me, I've had the springs near bottomed out several times and pulled small trees out of the ground with it. The biggest box trailer you can comfortably pull is about a 6'x12' box trailer and 16' flat trailer.
Gas mileage sucks, I used to get 16 city/18 highway and put some bigger, more aggressive tires on it. Now I'm around 14.5/17 mpg.
Problems I've had/things I've replaced in the last 8 years and 90k miles:
Water pump
Front wheel bearings
Alternator
All shocks
Front brakes (mine warps rotors)
Rear brakes (wheel cylinder went out, but had a slow leak, wasn't catastrophic)
Transmission fluid twice (mine had a bit of a slip the whole time I've had it, fluid change fixes it for a couple years)
Normal maintenance, filters, other fluids, belts, etc.

The engine is still strong, it has occasional sketchiness in the wiring (if it rains for a few days straight, the windshield sprayer and sometimes horn turns on with the headlights) and the transmission slips a bit. But those are the biggest problems

I plan on keep driving it until it dies, its not like I can sell it for anything.

So I strongly recommend Rangers

GM axles aren't Ford axles m8

had 2 rangers. 2002 4 banger and a 2005 V6. Both sucked ass.

Here's why;

The 4 cylinder required 8 plugs because MUH emissions. PITA to change them

The V6 drank like V8 with non of the torque or power that came with a V8.

Barely tows more than a Windstar minivan or Taurus. Absolute ass

An interior that hadn't been updated since it was introduced in 1996

Transmissions even with proper maintenance have odd issues; slippage during cold mornings, O/D not engaging, etc

I drive a 99 Frontier (basically a hardbody) and even with 177k on the dead dash (common) it's a far better truck than the Ranger was. No trans issues, or motor issues. The radio is dead and the dash like I mentioned is dead. Both can be repaired for under $200.

The only thing that sucked worse than the Ranger was the S10 because of typical GM rot, and blown transmissions. I do love the 4.3 V6. Otherwise fuck that too.

Tacoma, Frontier, Hardbody, Jeep Comanche. Only trucks you should be looking at.

The Mitsubishi might max is a good truck if you could find one. The b series Mazdas are rebadged rangers, the Ram 50 is a mighty max

I have a 93 ranger with 118k miles on it.
Mines a 4x4 4.0L v6 automatic
Gas mileage sucks, I get 16 city/18 highway

Its a solid truck and I'd trust it to take me across the country and back. I never use it for carrying anything too heavy but its awesome for camping and I daily.

With my Civ out for a bit, I'm using a B4000 now.
Basically a Ranger, it's a 2008 auto 4.0V6 4x4
Throttle response on par with Australian Internet, the MPGs are abismal, I get better mileage redlining my civic everywhere than I do babying the truck. 10-12mpg. On the bright side, it's resisting rust quite well.

your truck sounds like a mediocre vehicle. Tranny slipping and here you are "strongly recommend"?
lmao

Honestly a useless vehicle. The 4cyl is underpowered and a minivan would unironically be far more practical. The 6cyls get atrocious mileage for the size, to the point that you might as well just get a real truck.

It was a highway dept truck that had 185k miles on it when I bought it
I'll give it a pass for not being perfect, I've seen cars go through multiple transmissions far before that point, let alone the almost 300k miles it has now

> multiple transmissions far before that point,
well my dude, that is still mediocre murican "engineering". Just because its widespread among murican trucks doesn't mean its acceptable to most people. a jap truck could make it double that on the original tranny

tacomaworld.com/threads/2006-v6-automatic-transmission-failure.68278/

>hurr muh japs reliability

anything can fail prematurely or last a long time
just stating that mine has lasted. Not been perfect but it hasn't shit the bed and left me stranded either, info that I thought would help the OP decide

>one example
>HURR DURR SEE?? SO UNRELIABLE

If you weren't so desperate you could have picked actual, common problems on the tacoma (ball joints, rust) instead you went cherrypicking

the fact that your piece of shit with a slipping tranny is considered "good" tells you everything you need to know

This is where the thread derails and the fanboys argue

alright, you win, congrats

I like tacomas, and would have got one instead of my ranger if I didn't find such a good deal on it. And just trying to tell OP that despite my rangers flaws that I was open about I've enjoyed it

but you're right, my truck is a piece of shit and jap trucks are the best

100% quality truck. Would recommend. Best mini truck for your money. Don't mind the salty norangers, they're happy little trucks that do the same thing as a Tacoma for less money.
The ranger tows almost twice as much as the windstar, it's rated for 6000 pounds with the 4.0