/indie/ - Indie Games General

Last Thread : >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

mysteralegacy.com/about/
youtube.com/watch?v=S9lWLEMv9FI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation
youtube.com/watch?v=M0D7MBBI2Ik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

/lite/'s not dead its surely alive

;_;

seems like we need to punch somebody in their ugly... monitor? Face? Window?

We hit bump limit in less than 4 days. That is more alive than usual.

We posting cute now?

That's out of character for the world machine

Maybe?
homura deserved better fate

I remember the Entity being a bit more of a dick in the freeware version. More so than Silver.

>So you're still bound to explore for a while before you can afford to laze around at home and do nothing.
Essentially, yes
But you can get yourself a sustainable source of food+water pretty early in the game, at least, provided you already know where and how to get the things you need
Going in blind, I can't say for certain, but by the time you're 25-50% through the game food+water'll definitely be a non-issue, provided you're not outside your base for too long

Can you still use the Cyclops as a mobile base?

Two major patches ago my Cyclops had everything I needed inside of it, from plants to storage to utilities. The only point of my base was to charge the power cells that powered the Cyclops.

>25-50%
That sounds acceptable, compared to other survivals where food and water is a plenty and only becomes an issue when going on an expedition.

Yes

So the simple knowledge that the things you are easily harvesting won't always be harvest-able is enough to change your opinion on the game? Not judging or anything, but that is kind of interesting.

You can put your Cell Chargers in your Cyclops, you know. And yes, you can still use it as a mobile base, you just gotta be willing to go slowly and quietly and also take time to fix it.

>you can charge your power cells using other power cells

What other classic indie games have been inspired by Machinarium?

As of the last major update, power cell chargers put in the cells exactly the amount they take out from the ones on-board, and power efficiency modules don't affect this, as they now only affect the cyclops' engine
Only way to charge the cells without returning to your base is to have a seamoth with solar chargers or prawn suit with thermal reactor docked, be somewhere close to the surface/hot, and swap the power cells in the seamoth/prawn with the ones in the cyclops when they're fully charged
Needless to say, at least with a seamoth, it'd usually be quicker to just grab all the power cells and run back to your base real quick to charge them, then go back

Tetris

Man when I read that, I was immobilized by pure disbelief for a good 4 seconds as I realized what I just read.

Fucking infinite energy, holy shit. No wonder they changed that.

I do like how they make it easier for you as you start, with the difficulty slowly going up as time pass and you slowly start running out of ressources.
Since you can recycle your furniture with 100% efficiency, having limited ressources isn't much of a problem.

It's more penalizing in, I dunno, Don't Starve, since ressources barely regrow.

But I'm curious, if you breed a lot of fishes in aquariums, and then release them in the wild, can you build an artificial, small biome where fishes are plentiful?

Here is a little known indie rpg that can be played free in a browser. It's almost stardew valley online.. you can farm, chop wood, build a house, steal, and PK. The underground is huge with monsters and loot.

mysteralegacy.com/about/

In even older versions, older than the power cell/battery chargers themselves, it was possible to build solar panels on top of the cyclops, which gave the same effect, but at least made sense
Still hoping they'll eventually add an actual solar panel module for the cyclops, or at least some other kind of electricity-regenerating module
If you release a fish bred in an aquarium, they don't roam particularly far from where you released them
So you can just step outside your base and release 20+ fish at once and have them all huddled around your base, if for some reason you want that
But they don't reproduce in the wild, they just sit there and swim around mindlessly and run away from you like any other fish in the game

>you can farm, chop wood, build a house...
>oh, and you can steal and kill!
WHAT

>they don't reproduce in the wild
Aaaw, a shame. If you could fuck with the ecosystem, it would be hilarious.

Yeah, far as I know aquarium-bred fish don't behave any differently from fish you'd normally find in the wild

One thing you can do, however, is find eggs for some of the larger fauna in the game, like stalkers and sand sharks and such,
but not any of the real big nasties like reapers
Drop one in an aquarium, and it'll eventually hatch into said fauna
Drop two, and they'll make eggs that'll also hatch
Inside the aquarium they won't attack you or any other fish in the aquarium, giving you a safe opportunity to scan them for the juicy flavor text, but when released into the wild they will still attack you and other fish just the same as one found in the wild
So you could, say, find a boneshark egg, hatch it, release it near a bunch of stalkers, jump back in your seamoth real quick, and watch what happens

But can I stick my thumb in its butt?

And the flavour text isn't that interesting so far. Slime Rancher had better text.

Absolutely

At the very least, it tells you what the things are called
Scanning it's really the only way to get that info

You mean they're not called "floaty-floaty-big-balls" and "tasty-munchy-crunchy"?

There's one thing called a floater, nothing called anything similar to "tasty-munchy-crunchy"

The floaty-floaty-big-balls are for making water and the thingy that sends you back to the surface.

The tasty-munchy-crunchy is for food and doesn't serve any real purpose.

If you have a tasty-munchy-crunchy in your hand, a stalker'll take it out of your hand and will be temporarily docile and won't attack you until you leave and come back
Not really any situations in which this is useful, but it's interesting and it's the only creature in the game that does this

Oh?

See, THIS IS THE KIND OF THING THAT I NEED TO READ IN MY ANALYZER.
There's still a lot of room for improvement.

The scanner does note that it seems to have an innate ability for reward-based learning
And looking at the wiki, it seems that while it's docile it'll also look for metal salvage,
as it usually does, but it'll drop it next to you instead of in whatever spot it usually drops it in

Mmmm... What a pickle. I'll have to re-read all the entries, just in case I missed something interesting.

Bravo humble banner writers
bravo

1 day until GOTY comes out

And then it flops.

>grimoire beta
>beta
how can this NOT flop

I gurantee that if it flops the dev will go full denial and blame it on players not being smart enough to appreciate his "masterpiece
".

The dev sounds like DarkSydephil.

He is more unstable than DSP

It's possible?

This is the FBI. Give us your best mystery games or you're going away for a long time

Professor Layton and the process of moeification

Sorry officer, that trick won't work on me. There's no such thing as a good mystery game.

Twin Peaks.

>eating cats
also
>that name
BEZ NAZWY
slavic language everywhere
czech intensiifies

You bet kurva

>Subnautica is a good survival game.
Well, technically, no. The core gameplay has some nice survival elements but the survival gamemode is poorly implemented.

The only difference between freedom and survival is food/water system, which has typical flaws. They're just tedious "constantly refill these meters" busywork as always. They also become a non-issue near the start of the plot when you find melons to grow aboard your sub.

Oxygen is also a non-issue. The planet has earth-like atmosphere and your submersiles have infinite O2 supply. Games like Empyrion Galactic Survival do O2 much better. Start crash-landed on a planet with no oxygen and you know real survival. Also, I've seen noobs die inside their spacesuits when their oxygen runs out ... on a planet with atmospheric oxygen. Oops. Should've taken that helmet off.

>empyrion galactic survival
>no oxygen
so how do you survive? can you make oxygen with chemistry or what? do you even need oygen by endgame
seems like a race against time

also

link pls

>no Grimoire in the OP

You fucked up

subnautica is a good exploration and thalassophobia game

>still meming about grimoire

>Well, technically, no. The core gameplay has some nice survival elements but the survival gamemode is poorly implemented.
Never played Empyrion Galactic Survival.
Got a more mainstream example of a survival game "done right"?

>mfw I realize Epistory is just not just a fantasy adventure game but actually tells an autobiographie
Now it makes sense why the enemies come crawling with very themed words in the dungeons.

That is just Hugo stuck in a big ball.

Yeah, you can create oxygen and hydrogen from water. The early game, especially your first one, can be a really tough survival experience if you start on a planet without O2 atmosphere. I think you can even start on a planet without any natural O2 sources on the latest alphas. God knows how you could survive on those. Build a small GTFO vessel ASAP and find a water source?

You always need oxygen. Be it your bases, capital vessels, small/hover vessels or your suit. After the early game, you should have stable oxygen production and it is fairly non-tedious to refill, but it is always a limited resource.

>more mainstream
user, this is /indie/. But I wouldn't say Empyrion is survival done right, it just incorporates much better oxygen gameplay systems than Subnautica.

You also need to manage food, radiation, temperature, energy for your bases/vessels and a plethora of other factors. Empyrion does most of its survival mechanics well, but IMO food is just tedium. It's always like that in survival games.

VA-11 Hall-A currently on sale 33% off at the humblestore, along with a bunch of other games. Hollow knight is on sale there too

If the game ends up being good and people get some good discussion off it, it can get added later.

The Longbow is the greatest medieval weapon to ever exist. With it the English won every single war. This is because they string the bows 600 times and use glorious British logs.

Longbows are capable of shooting across the English channel. They first invented the longbow with experiments that involved shooting arrows at pig disgusting France. When word got back to the soldiers that an arrow had flown true and hit a Frenchmen on the other side of the channel, they brought the results before the king.

Every Longbow is blessed by priests as the weapon of God. Only the most pure Brits were allowed to wield these holy weapons.

I never saw radiation done right.
Fallout had some nice flavour text, but ultimately, it boiled down to "fill that hidden bar too much and you die".

I normally play a moralfag in these kind of games, but in Expedition Viking, I'm trying to get every slave I can get my hands on because they reduce how long it takes to make buildings, and I get a limited time before the game ends, so I want to make as much as possible.

The bad thing is my best warrior gets butthurt at that kind of stuff, so I hope I don't wind up pissing him off enough to make him leave.

The longer you stay in radiation, the higher your minimum is? If you stay too long, your minimum ends up so high you're crippled for the rest of the game.

I remember the flavour text telling me I was losing my hair and my teeth, but I never noticed any stat drop.

Then again, I was a kid back then.

Realistic radiation wouldn't make fun gameplay so it's hard to do "right". I like the STALKER approach to it.

What, chug down vodka?

STALKER actually does a lot of things right and is very fun. I like how it plays as a RPG but doesn't turn you or enemies into bullet sponges like Fallout or Borderlands do.

It also qualifies as a survival in my book, because the anomalies are really deadly.

No, I don't mean Fallout 2.

I mean an idea to do it better?

Frankly, I don't know enough radiation. My understanding of it is that if you take too much of it and let it settle, you're done for. Kinda like poison, but we all know how poison work in game.
>-5 HP
>-5 HP
>-5 HP
>poison effect ran out

>can't be shot while prone
>can't be shot while kneeling
>can't be held drawn indefinitely like a crossbow
It's a pretty good weapon for warfare but objectively inferior for personal use compared to a crossbow or even a shorter bow, be it self-defense or assassination. I guess it's adequate for hunting at least but still inferior to the crossbow since drawing a bow can make enough noise to scare the game away.

Even then the crossbow's ease of use makes it a much better weapon for warfare as well. Crossbow is much more effective for sieges, too.

>inb4 muh Battle of Crécy
Genoese mercs were just idiots.

Do bolts fired from a crossbow have God guiding them every step of the way?

Yeah but crossbow looks like ass. A bow is much more impressive.

No, they are all powered by the unlimited power of Pope's butthurt.

>longbow
>holy "weapon" blessed by priests

>crossbow
>so OP pope wanted to ban them

Hmm.

youtube.com/watch?v=S9lWLEMv9FI

>tfw

>crossbow looks like ass
Than't an objectively incorrect opinion.

So that's why they wear the funny hats.

Wonder how long it'll take for the Primitive Technology guy to make a crossbow

>your submersiles have infinite O2 supply
Technically not infinite, it runs out when your power's out

Which actually does matter before you get a cell charger, I had some close calls

Like ass.
LIKE ASS.

Plus bows are easier to craft. I love the Far Cry just because they let me go Rambo on armoured guys with assault rifle and automatic weapons.

I don't think he would be able to make a proper crossbow since those have iron/steel bows. Manufacturing a crossbow requires more precision than a bow, too.

Even if he managed to smelt iron and make a bow, you really wouldn't want to risk the thing snapping when drawn. Last thing you want is a sharp piece of metal flying towards your face at extremaly high speed.

As a matter of fact it's one of the reasons why medieval crossbows had such short draws- the metallurgy wasn't that great back then so there was no way to know the exact strength of every single bow. It was safer to make all of them have shorter draws.

I guess he could make a shitty all-wood one, but then you are better off with a bow.

It depends on how much radiation, though. You're effectively absorbing radiation throughout your entire life, just not in levels that would kill you.

It's a little disappointing that the remainder of your crew is generated by you. In Conquistador, all your available party members were premade with their own little backstories and story events.

Hey niko talk like a robot

I think the way Fallout handles radiation is fine.

If you wanted to be realistic then if PC absorbed too much radiation he would live a few days of progressive agony and eventually die with no way to cure it, but that doesn't translate very well into vidya.

Progressively worse stat penalties that are crippling at later stages and death in the final stage is good enough if you ask me.

>'re effectively absorbing radiation throughout your entire life
PANIC

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation
What did you think, that radiation is nuclear stuff?

Yeah no, it's everywhere. You're absorbing maybe like 1-2 millisiviert yearly. depending on where you live, on a scale where you need a whole siviert to have 55% for cancer.

Even bananas contain radioactive isotopes.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH
I AM DYING

FUCK you haters
I'm STILL going to buy it on launch
The fans have PLAYED the demo and loved it

you have radioactive carbon-14 inside your body right now

and it's in your skeleton too so don't think you can escape it just by leaving your flesh prison

Thimbleweed park

Longbows were so powerful and effective that the noble English warriors thought it wasnt fair to use them against the French

I have dreams of my body giving off incredibly lethal amounts of radiation; radiation so intense that even the insects and bacteria dies. I have my own 30 foot radius where all the tiny and disgusting things that want to crawl all over your body simply cannot exist. It would actually really end up sucking if you really thought about it, but dreams don't have to be rational.

you can keep your overwatch

I play Overgrowth

youtube.com/watch?v=M0D7MBBI2Ik