WHP: how much is enough, how much is desirable?

What do guys on Veeky Forums think? Share your thoughts.

it ain't never enought

If a car can do a 15 it's fast enough.

Being able to do more than a 15 is really fun though and it's a nice sensation to feel the car push you back into the seat.

450 hp or kys

Also it depends on the class your car is racing in.

10lbs of car per hp is enough.

I'd say it depends on the car really. Once you have a substantial power to weight ratio, then I'd say you have "enough" for general purpose driving. Depends on the purpose of the car too

Depends on the task you wish to achieve.

Puttering around town? 50 is fine.

When you can lay 11s from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next then that's enough

450hp is perfect, enough to be fast, but not too fast

Maybe if your car is pigfat

>Depends on the purpose of the car too
>Also it depends on the class your car is racing in.
Let's assume it's a daily driver and not raced (and no autoX)
>Once you have a substantial power to weight ratio, then I'd say you have "enough" for general purpose driving.

What is 'substantial power to weight ratio'?

Is 370z underpowered? BRZ?

Anywhere from 300 to 500 depending on your cars weight and your driving experience.

60hp, 500hp

If it's a daily driver it just needs enough power to merge with traffic easily.

im doing just fine with 164 but i'd like to have somewhere between 200 to 300 in my next car

I would say anywhere from 15lbs/hp to 8lbs/hp.

15 for small light cars like Miatas and AW11s. 8 for heavier but higher performance cars. Anything past 8lbs/hp really becomes useless on the road and makes the car "unfun" because you can use so little of its potential.

anything more than 200 in my AW11 would probably kill someone

>Enough
>Desirable

Ever driven 700whp car? how was it

Brz and 370z have a good power to weight ratio going by numbers at the crank. They have enough horsepower for just putting around town and not being pigfat.

Truly stated by someone who has never driven a fast car. If you can't break into high 10s, what's the point? Even as someone more into road racing, if you can't break 10s, you aren't going to be putting down good tuned runs against production cars anymore.

Surprisingly easy.
Difficult to see out of, though.
I don't have any pics of it so have one from Google.

lmao

Anything more than 100 hp/ metric tonne.

If the Challenger has taught us anything, it's that this is wrong. It took 800hp to cling that boat down the quarter mile in 10 seconds.

>implying anyone on Veeky Forums can handle more than 100hp

if you want to have fun street car,
300 enough, 400 desirable for RWD
500 for AWD

Generally, between 250 and 300 WHP is the best (assuming the car is below 3000 lbs).

200 enough, 300 desirable FWD
300 enough, 400 desirable RWD
400 enough, 500 desirable AWD

More like, how much is it when its too much? The hellcat and the new zr1 seem to be complete overkill.

too much hp is not a thing.
too much torque is where the cat is at.
like dem brabus c63's with
>electronically limited to 1000nm

250hp is plenty for a DD car (below 3500lbs), 75hp is plenty for a DD motorcycle. A bit more is desirable (350/400 and 100-150, respectively).

As long as it doesn't hurt throttle response too much, there is no such thing as too much power in my opinion.

Below 8lbs/hp is actually usable if you have a decent torque curve and throttle response. If you can deal with it mentally, the added potential isn't wasted, if anything, it'll give you the relaxed confidence that you can overtake anything you want should you need to.

T. 4.5 lbs/hp.

The Demon actually did it in less than 10, and the Hellcat is FUN incarnate despite being pigfat.

250 enough, 350 desirable for FWD (hektik torque steer)
350 enough, 450 desirable for proper RWD-biased AWD

Overkill does not exist untill it hurts part-throttle operation.

How much is enough? I wouldn't know. Never driven anything with more than 150.

How much is desirable? All. All of the horsies.

>WHP: how much is enough, how much is desirable?
That depends on the vehicle:
100 hp in a motorcycle are awesome
100 hp in a cappouchino are fun
100 hp in a lanbarge are a joke

And it is also matters what you want to do, in a drag race power is much more relevant than in a technical course.
Just imagine a stock Suzuki Cappouchino with 66 ps racing a 800 hp Dodge Demon, in a straight line the demon wins, but gets in troubble in the first corner.

>Overkill does not exist untill it hurts part-throttle operation.
That is not exactly true, a more powerfull drivetrain also adds weight, wich reduces cornering speed.
Especialy when the car produces decent downforce every little bit of weight matters.

300kw is the ideal daily power

I've driven a fast car I'm just not an idiot.

You know all those Austin healeys that enthusiasts love? A lot of them aren't fast.

0-60 in 3.5 is good enough for me

Depends on car, my DD would be unhandleable at that point.
>84kg motorcycle
>700 kg FWD car

unhandleable, or more fun?

3,6 kw/kg would be uncontrollable and I´d end up crashing it at 500 km/h.

I drive a 59hp supermini and I can do anything reasonable on the road with it. I'd obviously like more, but it's functional.

about tree fity

I'm not joking, that is the perfect amount.