Nissan Z31 300ZX

Redpill me on the Z31. Are they any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-nissan-300zx/6380651525.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not at all.

Z31 owner here

this.

this but they look fucking cool

OP here, this is the one I was looking at. I was going to trade him a VW beetle. inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-nissan-300zx/6380651525.html

ooooh digi dash

Why the fuck are there 30 threads a day saying
>redpill me on x car

lack of moderation

Retards who can't do research on the car they want to buy get retards on Veeky Forums to do it for them.

I just wanted to hear o's opinion instead of a nissan forum which is probably biased.

Stop saying redpill you sound brainwashed. Second of all

as a person who owns two i think they are fine cars for basic fun transportation, they get decent fuel economy for a 30+ year old sporty GT car.

That said, they handle like boats, they roll, they have rear geometry issues that pretty much make any attempts to lower or firm up the mushy suspension a dangerous gamble to the rear end stepping out.

The engines are fool proof, and have very little to go wrong if you leave it stock. While you can make power with them, the average person is just not going to dump that kind of cash into them.

You also did not specify which engine. RB20, VG30e/t, or vg30de. I assume its the VG30e as its the most common.

I have owned mid-80s 300ZX Turbo, RX-7 GSL-SE, MR2, and an early Supra. 300ZX was basically a Camaro that looked better. Without the turbo (or with an automatic) it is a slug by modern standards. You will get walked by 10 year old Civics or any modern family car. Even with the turbo it would just keep up today. Front heavy, RWD, but quick to swap ends if you get it loose. It looks cool, it is decently reliable (for something 30 years old,) and it has a good amount of luxury for the time period.
I would drive one again, but I don't miss it the way I miss the RX7.

They look cool, but are pigfat, slow, and prone to t-top leaks. That one doesn't appear to be especially well maintained, so you'd probably have a decent project if you're looking for a comfy retro grand-tourer to do highway miles in.

$4500 seems way high for a slow ass beater. Half the price would be ok.

also i just clicked the link and this thing is way over priced.

looks like the high desert, so all rubbers are shot. Leather is shot. Digital Clusters in Z31's barely work, usually the engine vitals sub panel with the temps and pressure die.

Paint is white, so its single stage NISSAN SUPERWHITE, which can be buffed out to pretty good results, its just super thin.

That said I only paid 1500 for each of my zs one of which i have put almost 100k miles on now. Sitting at 240k reliably with minimal work (only minor items replaced like alternator, gaskets, spark plugs, timing belt).

Whats the RB in them like?

its a RB20DEt, its slow, its heavy, but it is an i6.
Top mount intercooler, lots of piping, and an ugly hood.

Its not really any faster or better off than the vg30et.

Everyone ive ever heard or seen swap an RB20 into something wishes they either ponied up for the 25 or went SR instead. Cant speak to the OG engine in the OG car

Z31 owner reporting in.
>great chassis
>decent engine
>few too many typical mid 80's electrical gremlins

>pigfat
>~1300kg

Nah mate.

Too hard to RB swap, better off getting a 280.
>custom engine X member
>custom gearbox X member
>custom engine mounts
>custom tailshaft
>custom rear sump oil pan and pickup

But they come with an RB, why would I need to swap it?

200zr's are fairly fucken rare mate.

Are they? Z31s are pretty rare to pop up for sale in my area in a good condition but often they are the 2L

Well the ZR was only sold in Japan so yeah it should be pretty rare unless you live in Japan.
Maybe you've seen VG20ET ones for sale.

Cracks me up when I see shit like this.
Don't Americans have no warrant of fitness type checks?
Here in NZ, even if you just wanna bolt in off-the-shelf coil overs, you have to pay to have a certification done.
It's super expensive and you have all sorts of crazy limitations you need to abide by here for most mods.
Yet we still just do it.
Man, cutting and welding shit to make crossmembers is so goddamn easy, and making motor mounts is like an hour long job at the most.
Sumps can suck, but just notch the crossmember!
I have swapped all sorts of shit into all sorts of other shit, and by far and away the hardest thing to sort on EVERY swap is the electrics.
And even then, rewiring shit is just boring old matching up wires, and multimeter fuckery.

Don't be a pussy.

The VG30ET can reliably make 300 whp with no internal mods pretty easily. Relocation pipes, bigger turbos and injectors, nistune or some shit. Most people don't understand some basic things with the VG series though and fuck it up. It's actually pretty cheap to make power out of them too, a cheap holset will do well enough with acceptable lag

They can handle quite well and the snap oversteer is fixable. Most people aren't going to know how to do that or have the skills to do it because 95% of people think coilovers make it a racecar and leave it from there.

OP should abandon a Z31 and get an S30 instead though.

The 20 revs higher in general and can still make respectable power with relatively cheap mods (the same shit you'd do to a 25 to make more power, turbo upgrades and related) and just has a different overall feel.

I prefer the 20 myself, but for a DD with a heavier car (the 300zx weighs in at 2800-3300) the 25 would probably be a better choice. Something lighter, like an S30 chassis the 20 is a great choice if you're not looking for silly amounts of power.

Sump/pickup and tailshaft are what killed it for me.

just buy mine, mine is the one listed for 6k but the throwout bearing broke so I'm gonna practically gonna give it away

Go buy another one I got mine for 2700$ and everything works. Paint is just fugged