Veeky Forumsld people

bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-41948866/driver-hits-and-flies-over-parked-car-in-dramatic-crash
>awooooooo

seeing old drivers terrifies me and i feel there should definitely be a hard upper limit on driving licenses. or maybe i'm just a cold bastard?

what are your old driver experiences?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bC-jGuJmTTc?t=7s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>seeing old drivers terrifies me

Now imagine 70 year olds driving these. You can drive this with a normal licence in most of North America.

Then throw in cali making then go 55mph, and watching them change lanes going 15mph slower than traffic usually without checking their mirrors.

>a friend of mine was driving
>old man has STOP at intersection
>he's hesitating pushing forward and backward
>decide to accellerate when my friend is coming by
>rams into his car and totals it

I personally think that after 70 you should checked for reflexes and eyesight annually and after 80 just remove the driver licence.
Old people as statistically more likely to crash in my country, yet the insurance rates their premium by """""experience"""" instead of risk bracket.

Are you serious? We in Italy have 10 different driving licences for big rigs, each one specialized for a specific vehicle class.

I think they should take a test after some age to prove they still have the reaction

>96 years old
What the fuck. At what point does the state say "Yeah, you're too fucking old to drive"?

pretty sure they have to take a test again every few years after a certain age in australia already

There are good and bad drivers in all ages.
The 16-17 year old drivers you got in the US are also much more dangerous than the 18 year old starters we got in yurop.
So why dont you fix that too? Kids shouldnt be behind wheels

>kids shouldn't be behind the wheel
I agree. 21 should be the legal age to drive.

my grandpa is 85 and still drives perfectly, actually better than me when overtaking (I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to that)

I'm 19 from England and rely on car to get to work and I haven't crashed thank you very much sir

I had 2 of them drift into my lane yesterday

Fuck old people

Because in Europe we know that you cannot possibly have any experience to handle any big car when you get your license.
The US should do like many EU countries and impose a power limitation on cars for a couple of years at least.
Boiracers in particular make me reeeeeee as they have a perfect round 0 experience with cars and pretend to get something sporty or with muh horsepower as their first car, ultimately forcing insurance companies to shoot up premiums to the moon because of that.

Wait, there are EU countries with power limitations on new licenses? I thought only Australia did that. Here in Germany new drivers simply get more points on their driving records for violations to force them to be more careful. And of course the basic car license, as in the rest of the EU, is more restricted by weight as opposed to American licenses. 3500 kg or 7700 lbs loaded weight is the cutoff, and I figure it's quite sensible in regards to the challenge that handling larger vehicles and tow combinations poses on the European road network. Far easier to screw up here than it is in the US.

No power limitations for car ownership in the Netherlands, though insurance companies won't accept you if you're inexperienced and got a fast car.

In Italy we got 1-year maximum 90hp / 75hp-per-tonne limitation on all neo-drivers and in total 3 years when alchool threshold is 0g/L and you get double point for violations. However here after 3.5 tonnes you go up on the licence ladder one step above with the C licence that allows you to drive big rigs.

I think powerlimitations are overall good as you can't trust any 18-yo, you have to assume the are going to be dangerous with something they have never handled.

>tfw my dad is 57 and a better driver than me

57 isn't debilitatingly old, youngfriend.

How about we don't set any power or weight limits and let everyone enjoy the personal freedom to drive what they want?

18 yo kids are going to act like boyracers regardless of what they drive, I know I sure did.

>how about we don't set any [...] weight limits
>get licensed on mom's Ford Focus
>allowed to drive articulated big rig
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

How about we don't set any limits to aviation or navigation limits and let anyone who's flown a simple glider fly any aircraft of any size and configuration they want? Surely the only differences between flying a single-engine Husky and a Beechcraft 1900, or even an Airbus 318 are the speed and altitude, right? I mean, it's all the same instruments, just a few more of them, with some bigger numbers on the dials, right?

As if a new driver (and I'm assuming here that, as is the case many times, people who get their driver's license don't have much experience driving) could handle a two and a half ton metal brick, you want to give them the ability to handle whatever they wish, instead of gauging their competence prior to allowing them to drive 40 tonnes of metal?

Hell, I know 45+ year old men who can't handle a Ram 2500 that's towing a damn SeaDoo, as a friend of mine told me the story of how his retarded father, who's been driving for 20 years, was doing 75 fucking miles per hour with the trailer on tow, until it started swinging around. They were very lucky to end up 40 yards away from the road with all wheels still on the ground and completely unscathed

Giving just any retard the ability to drive/operate things that can easily kill is fucking stupid, watch a few videos on the web on stupid (big rig) drivers and tear your eyes out in despair of how flawed the system already is, nevermind what you propose

t. spic who has to share the road with retards who can't drive, including unlicensed, senile, and underage truck drivers

yup and I see those fuckers hauling the car and the boat which is doubles and I'm CDL A and not certified to do that. Some of them are former truckers and some even kept their big rig Peterbilt and haul a similar camper around with it and those guys are cool though.

The problem is you will never ever be able to limit old people from driving because any such law would have to come to a referendum and old people are historically the only ones who actually vote because they have all the time in the world while the working stiffs have to go to work.

>power limits in youth

The most absolute reckless shit I did was in a 150whp Ford Probe GT when I was 20.

>150whp Ford Probe
Imagine if you had something more powerful, bruh. I can absolutely relate, since I used to do extraordinarily retarded stuff in a 80 hp diesel SUV that couldn't outrun a loaded semi

And trust me, I fucking hate this idea of infringement on freedom of ownership/whatever that young'ns might want. Everybody wants a twin charged Vette as their first car. However, new drivers, with little practical experience in sharing the road, and sometimes very little to none in actually handling a three thousand pound plus cube of metal (though of course not always, as people might drive in private land/drive go-karts or whatever prior to getting their license), it makes sense to try and make sure that what they have available at first isn't a rocket on wheels, since they might go full potato, willingly or not, and anhero along with a family of twelve and their doggos

If it were the case that their stupidity cannot possibly affect anyone else (as is sometimes the case when done in private property), absolutely, do allow anyone to drive whatever, it's their choice to play with their life. But since driving on public roads does affect other people, both directly and indirectly, some things need to be taken into account, to help prevent Chad who's texting while doing 190 MPH in his turbo V6 moosetang from plowing into your shitbox and forcing a closed casket funeral

My friends were also a good example of what you say. Particularly one of them doing incredibly retarded stuff with a shitty Peugeot 206, with like 100hp of fury propelling 2700 pounds. Almost killed 3 people in the first 8 months, among them a pedestrian who was following every rule possible. Had he been driving something faster/more powerful/heavier like an SUV, I have little doubt he would've rolled over, and killed not only himself, but the poor fucker who made the bad decision of riding along with him, I'm glad he only had that shitty french piece of shit to bash for his first two years

>and let everyone enjoy the personal freedom to drive what they want?

I don't want others to enjoy "the personal freedom to drive what they want" at my life's expense.

Typical amerishart philosophy
18 will still act boiracers but being an asshole with a ferd cletus with 90 is a thing, doing that with a ferd mustard is another thing, because the second one will likely result in people being injured because someone had to say "muh freedom".

The same with big rigs: no operating a fucking 30 tons vehicle isn't the same as a fucking car and it isn't your freedom to use whatever transport you want.

I'm surprised that Vicroads hadn't already taken their licence away. I've got neighbours over the road that are getting on rather well in their early 90s but recently had their licence taken as a preventative measure.

>be waiting at red light
>one car in front of me
>light goes green but he doesnt move
>eventually get out to go check on him, mabey he having car trouble?
>its some old guy thats passed out at the wheel
>call the cops because he looks dead
>right as the squad car pulls in, the guy wakes up
>he shouts something along the lines of "oh god not again" and peels out
>cops catch him a few blocks over

>pretty sure they have to take a test again every few years after a certain age in australia already

Nope.

You need a truck license to drive a big rig ya dolt. Certain highways have "truck scales" where you can only drive cars up to a certain weight (above an escalade but below a utility truck) through as opposed to other more open routes. For fucks sake at least make sure the shit you spew is true.

The biggest you can go with a regular license is a box truck (lorry?) and even then you usually have to be taught how to back them up.

26,000 lbs is still a shit ton of weight, size and handling difference compared to a 2,600 lbs car, and I don't understand how being able to drive one guarantees that you're able to drive the other safely.

Power limitation get the fuck off this board

>i feel there should definitely be a hard upper limit on driving licenses.
>driving licenses
this won't be a problem soon enough :^)

>(lorry?)
Not a lorry.

youtu.be/bC-jGuJmTTc?t=7s

Why? Did I rustled your jimmies by saying that need for speed isn't enough to know how to handle a big car?

And thats different from the 17y/o in the U.S. who has to drive 20 miles to school, then 15 miles to work how?