/org/

General overland, off road, and (((niceposting))) thread.

Timeline:
>Not as old thread
>Old Thread

>Older thread:
>Oldest thread:
>18009566
>/out/ thread:
>/pirate4x4/ thread:
pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/699969-anybody-here-surf-Veeky Forums-board.html

>ITT:
>november rain
>snow
>numales
>Montero shitposting
>get a Pathfinder
>manlet steps on your Dodge pickup
>cool story faggot

>Who even looks at this map anymore:
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
>Stop posting shit on this discord:
discord.gg/FGMNmeg
>Literally no one has placed this on their vehicle yet:
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general
>Leave our (((sub-plebbit))):
reddit.com/r/battlewagon/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9tdGpmpNRFU
youtube.com/watch?v=8TUBOVGd0oU&t=1s
google.ca/maps/@44.040053,-78.8455749,395m/
google.ca/maps/@44.145722,-78.6072057,136m
google.ca/maps/@43.675691,-79.697981,160m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Moving to America and selling this old girl.

She's been amazing and I'm incredibly tempted to buy a Montero in the US but fear that parts availability and Mitsubishi in the US might make ownership a bit tougher in the long run. Plus I'm guessing they didn't get the diesel model either.

I want to own a V8 at least once so I'm actually considering a Land Rover Discovery 4 (LR4) Feel free to tell me your experiences, I know the old reliability comments will crop up but I've only heard mostly good things from people that own them (Compressors aside).

shitsudishi parts availability in the US is fine right now but youre right, who knows what the future holds.

LR4 was an improvement in terms of reliability but it is still shit comparatively. if you are only willing to consider those two options, id risk it with mitsu but there are many other choices you should be considering imo

I probably should have elaborated. Next car will be less "extreme" offroading and more roadtrips with light to medium off roading. Basically more of a family car, so I figured the Land Rover might be a nice diversion. I still can't believe how expensive cruisers are in the US. Aren't all cars meant to be cheaper there?!?

cruisers are luxury vehicles here so the new ones have a high price tag. that said, you can get a very nice 80 or 100 for less than LR4 money so im not sure what you mean.
mitsu is dirt cheap here though

let me change that to way less.
didnt realize the lr4 was the newer one. those things are mid 30k for a decent used one.
you can get a very solid 80 for under $10k and a very decent 100 for a few k more.
but yes youre right if you want a 200 you are going to be looking at lr4 money.

That's a purdy toyota

wew lad

my favorite toyota

>shitsudishi
>being this ignorant

Buy the Montero/Pajero. The part availability thing is a faux concern. I swear I hear this shit all the time yet they make parts for the Might Max and that thing has been out of sale forever.

I don't know much about the LR Disco 4, I did own a LR3 for a bit. Great truck, I would've kept it if the trans connected to the 4.4 didn't grenade.

The motor was awesome though. I never thought it was that much faster than my buddies 4.7 tundra.

Baddass Pajero though, I plan on picking up a gen 3, although I have been running across super nice 2.5 gens.

postal jeep dude here

every gates waterpump i've gotten is cracked on the impeller blades so I don't have one yet, but I'm fitting the intake and exhaust now.

It's hitting on the center pipes, too much to grind off or nah?

Also have some exhaust to chop up. Can you flare these yourself or just take it to an exhaust shop?

I got a ladder for my land cruiser the other day. i wanna get out of the door at a red light, climb up the rear ladder, drop in through the moonlight, and slam the door shut. but i feel like people will judge me...

God damn 4Runners and their axle seals. How the fuck do I find a good machine shop? I'm in Toronto, if anyone knows one.

now why would you think that

do it faggot

The only way to possibly do that well is if 4-5 passengers get out one at a time and drop in through the moonroof switching seats. And if you blast the Benny Hill theme song.

What year? Why do you people all have bad luck with your axles?

Why don't you ever get banned for avatarfagging?

Around Toronto. Land Cruiser 80. How bad are the seals?

I know quite a few people that would not only be able to do it but I can probably help source the pieces and help you do it yourself before it gets too cold. Need to do the driver's side axle seal on mine again...

Looks 3rd gen. Those axles from that year are kinda finicky.

Before getting the 80, I considered getting two Land Rover Disco IIs with the Buick V8. Remove the Land Rover injectors and put the old $150 carb on it and it'll run very well.

Everything else is still made by LandRover, though. So when vents start malfunctioning and costing $500 each, you would've wished you had just gone to whatever nip or USA option around.

>being this new

>driver's side axle seal on mine again...

>again

What the fuck. Get something else jesus christ.

I bent the inner seal and said it would be fine. Turns out it's not. I also spaced on buying the damn seals until now it's starting to leave axle goop on my driveway.

Does anyone have a rockauto discount code this month? I think I delet'd their email and can't find it. They have the yota inner seals for $1.09 canbucks btw

If they're so cheap why do you need the discount code? Fucking poorfag, poor people shouldn't be allows to own 4wds

because i wanna get other shit too wtf pls stop bullying it's remember day

'97. Design issue, apparently. I just wanted a decent winter beater god damnit, I should've just gotten a compact car.

I'm seeing wet drums and dime-sized puddles on the inside of my rims. Passenger side drum shoes are sticking a bit, probably swollen with gear oil.

Might wanna stick to OEM, familia
youtube.com/watch?v=9tdGpmpNRFU

There was some dude on Kijiji offering a complete all-OEM kit (2x seals, bearings, ABS rings, etc.) for $275 CAD no tax. Good deal?

Just fucking with ya bro, rockauto is the shit! I love buying parts from them.

How's your front? I did an ABS delet for winter driving because of those old consoles jamming up occasionally. Especially if you have diff fluid running into your drums... It happened once on my 1997 FJ80 and I said fuck it to the whole thing. As long as you have good snow tyres, you'll be more than fine.

Is it Dennis out in Newmarket? If so, it's not a "good" deal but he does have really good stuff so I'd pay the extra bit just to get legitimate stuff for the cruiser / 4runners. I think he's opening up a store sometime soon which I hope he does so I don't have to buy them from Oz or Cambodian Tyre like a hecking poorfag.

If you want someone to actually do it for you, I know a guy out in Niagara area who works on 4runners mainly but sometimes gets a cruiser and need to get seat belts off him in the near future. He'll be able to fix splines (or source new ones if need be) for you.

Post 4skinrunner. How did you like yesterday's retard snow/rain driving? I had to go hecking downtown and literally spent 2 hours through traffic which was absolutely retarded. I did help some guy jump his old volvo that wouldn't start so that's a benefit.

thank

are volkswagen campers /org/? I want one but i'm not sure they can go everywhere I want. what are better alternatives?

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the front.

I'd love to drop the dime on a shop press and do everything myself but I'm an apartment cuck so space is limited. I can go as far as
the inner seal, but the outer seal/bearing needs to be press fitted on the axles. I suppose I could just do the inner seals and call it good, but everyone strongly recommends doing the bearings also, since a wobbly bearing is an instant seal killer.

Yeah that must be him, he was going on about how he was planning on opening a web store.

I bought a bottle of ATP AT-205 as a lark, I guess we'll see if it works.

>How did you like yesterday's retard snow/rain driving?

Pretty uneventful - I did pull some hektik one tire skids around corners though.

Dennis is a good guy. I'd give him money just because he likes to help out and it eliminates the importer when buying from oz.

>outer seal/ bearing needs to be press fitted
just get those plastic cone fitters meant for outer seals and a mallet. go slow and hammer along the sides. If at any point you feel like it's uneven, stop and try again. i did the bearing setting four times in the land cruiser and never used a shop press.

Did you want a machine shoppe or just a basic automotive shoppe that knows weird tay yoda vehicles? The former would probably be cheaper but the latter will know what they're talking about - helpful if you don't have a personal workspace for your vehicle.

What part continent are you in? I'd get a Shitsubishi L400 Delica. Heaps of room with a pretty tough drivetrain. Come in both SWB and LWB versions, but even the SWB has plenty of room.
>petrol
Also looks like a 3.8 badge. Presuming it's an NP. How did it go? Fuel economy reasonable?

did you see the 6bt clearance pics i posted in the last /ORG/?

I just had a quick scroll back through and I did. Thanks bro.
Might be an interesting fit with the hot side conflicting with the steering gear, but overall it's impressive it fits without anything really in the way of body modification.
The reality is if I was to find myself an "ever after" J80 I'd probably take the time to find an immaculate 1HD-FT powered model anyway. But if I was to stumble across a good value immaculate, yet undesirable 1FZ, the Cummins would be an interesting option. Found a couple of North American workshops that do "kits" which would make adapting easier, but I reckon I'd be on my own adapting the RHD steering box.

youtube.com/watch?v=8TUBOVGd0oU&t=1s

Problem is the retainers - not a lot of surface area there.

I bought new tires today. 265/70/r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

How many people /RockCrawler/ here?

Me, I don't think many here do much if any.

Love the steering setup, way better then the factory Y steering. Also linked front and rear?

Pic of my old suburban flexing out at AOAA in Pennsylvania. My current K5 has the same suspension setup, so it flexes just as well, it surprises people how well it can flex when they see it is leaf sprung

No, just 3 link front. I plan on double triangulating the rear this winter though. Probably in the next few months, almost have the money saved up.
And thanks, yeah the factory steering has been long gone. I'm running international scout Dana 44 front and rear.
What's you're rig?

Nice man. Yeah I was running leafs front and rear for a long time and I have no problem with it. They have pretty decent articulation and it's a lot less koveing parts and less to worry about than link setups.

Moving parts **

My K5, currently a TBI 350, 700r4 and locked 10 bolt axles with 4.30 gears and 37" PitBull rockers. Just picked up an NV4500 and np241 for it to do the manual swap along with an LS V-8. Hoping to have it all done by the end of the year. Then get working on the Dana 60 and 14 bolt that need cleaned up, regeared and lockers installed so they can be bolted under the K5.

Hell yeah. You don't see a lot of full size trucks around where I'm from. Or in the rocks at all really. 60 and 14 bolt will be a nice upgrade. Are you going bigger with the tires? Im currently on 35s I plan on going to 37s but don't wanna go bigger with locked Dana 44s, if I had ton axles id want at least 40s. With a jeeps weight anyways, plus diff clearance.

tfw no 2018 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 5.0 Regular Cab

I guess it's the time of year for Rudolf Diesel to make a return

What brings you to America? And where are you moving to?

As far as vehicles go, I'd recommend the Mitsu. Land Rovers over here have a lot of electrical issues.

This NEEDS to happen!

I get the heep out once or twice a year if Im lucky, but i usually make it worth it. Basically had to rebuild the whole front end after this trip.

gonna keep the 37s for now, then most likely go up to 40s then. But tires are expensive as fuck, at least in over 37" sizes, so it'll be a bit.

Also gonna "shave" the 14 bolt rear which gains 2" of ground clearance so less diff rubbing. It's like going up 4" in tire size.

>brother comes up from the city along with a shitload of people he knows yesterday
>camping at the shitty ass lake
>come down to find the sand track to his site filled with cars and other clueless city retards with tents set up all over it
>go a km up and find a sketchy as fuck sand track
>sketchy as in if you aren't flooring it for 500m you will get bogged instantly
>go down the dune on a sharp angle down an S bend track
>had an OH SHIT moment as the track almost steered me straight into a bunch of small trees
>somehow avoided it and made the sand my bitch all the way to the campsite
>got to check dashcam footage today
>camera didn't record it for some reason

Fuck my life.

There really is nothing wrong with leaves, as long as the spring rate isn't over the top, but the most important factor is spring length. Looks like your setup is more than adequate.
Out of curiosity, aren't hose springs standard length for the Suburban? Did you run into any issues with axle wrap?

I had an older J75 Landcruiser pickup at one stage that I'd fitted the longer rear springs with a couple of leaves removed from each pack. It worked better than any of the factory coil sprung 4x4 whether it was empty or had 750kg in the tray.
Out if curiosity, which gearbox did your LR4 have? I've always thought the ZF 6 and 8 speeds your pretty stout.

>20171111
IT'S CHRISTMAS MURPHY TIME

Looked up Christmas lights to hook onto my roof rack and they're illegal. Damn. Benny Hill does seem like a good idea...

The $5k kits are the ones they went for. Either of them fit pretty well since it's hard to badly shoppe a piece of metal to mate engines and transmissions. One of them didn't even know how to weld and he managed to fit the 6BT. When doing this, I would recommend not to use a regular engine crane. He couldn't actually lift the 6BT high enough to put into the vehicle with the moderate sized engine crane that he bought. Lent it to me and now I'm gonna finally get this stupid OM617 out of my driveway after I sell it to the G-Wagon fags out here.

Hood had some issues clearing one of the tubes. But a little trip to the muffler shoppe and $250 solved that issue. You could also add a scoop to the hood, too.
The issue with his transmission was the torque converter. He just replaced his and now it's communicating fine with the A442 (electronic). Well, until maybe he goes mudding and electronics get all sloshed.\

Why not just find some kinda clean, bad engine/transmission gas FJ80 and slowly work on it until you mate the Cummies with it? Aren't the HDTs stupid money over there as whale?

Ontario Rando-kurūzā user, what do you recommend for babby's first trail? Wanting to try out the 4Lo and diff lock.

what ccar / trucc?

google.ca/maps/@44.040053,-78.8455749,395m/
google.ca/maps/@44.145722,-78.6072057,136m
google.ca/maps/@43.675691,-79.697981,160m

I had the LR3, not the 4 unfortunately. As fa as I know it had the ZF 6 speed but I've heard through the LR forums that the torque from the BMW 4.4 really takes it's toll on the ZF.

Apparently it's a known issue. I figured it was due to people towing all the time, I never towed with mine and it still shit the bed.

Bummer too because I really loved that truck, girlfriend was pissed I bought it lol

I really need to get a job and get myself a fucking cheap XJ cherokee. I have too much of a craving for one

Do it and every second you spend at work will be you imagining what else you can do to modify the XJ. It's a comfy feel.

>Do it and every second you spend at work will be you imagining what else you can do to fix the XJ. It's a shitty feel.

4Runner user from earlier. I just contacted Dennis, he's offering installation, which is nice. Apparently he can pull the retainers and ABS rings and reuse 'em, instead of cutting and replacing.

rip out the ABS system, route the metal brake hoses into each other, and sell him the whole ABS module.

>Removing the one safety feature I have in the driving hell that is Toronto
B... But why?

Cadence braking > ABS braking. ABS delet could be safer especially if this is your winter beater. You may have a corroded system which can kick in at weird moments (especially if you haven't driven the trug for more than a few months).

Your tay yoda is the same year as mine so that's why I'd recommend it. Especially for the weaker (I think?) brakes, it might be safer in the long run and not run the chance of it brakeing. Just practice two or three emergency brakes on water / ice in a parking lot and try not to lock up your brakes in a sudden brake by pumping brakes.

I'll clarify, the longer springs were out of a later model HZJ79. I just modified the hangers to suit.
>Why not just find some kinda clean, bad engine/transmission gas FJ80 and slowly work on it until you mate the Cummies with it? Aren't the HDTs stupid money over there as whale?
That'd be the idea. And 1HDs are a little bit silly in price, but then non factory engine conversions done right are hideously expensive too once all the ongoing gremlins are chased out. That doesn't take into account the time frame it takes chasing those gremlins...
>gl, hf with that TDi swap
I'm still of the mind to keep my Montero and swap in a later model 4M41 CRDi 3.2 into the same place the current mechanical 2.8TD is sitting. I love repping the little unsung hero.
I see I still have a lot of reading up to do on them.
I did a fair bit of reading up on the later 8 speed "8HP70" when my father was in the market for an Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee (share the same box) and couldn't turn up anything particularly bad about it.
I'm still entertaining the idea of trading the fairer half's 4th gen Montero on a TDV6 LR4 when the time comes.

Oh okay,
I just fucking love the NP242 is all. It could only be better if the center dif was a Torsen, or even a clutch style limited slip.

While talking to that user with the taytay-yoda 4skinrunner, I realised that the weights aren't actually that much different. People generally agree the 1.9 TDI can push the 4runners but putting it into an 80 really can't be that much different. With gearing it can be better especially as you mentioned about torque multiplicity.

Remember that the 80 had this stupid 700lb FZ engine that is getting downsized to a 350lb ALH. 442F is also much heavier than the 440 transmission so that's also being downsized. Centre diff is being removed and am not sure how much weight that'll remove. But with all this stuff gone, i'll be pretty much near a 3rd gen 4runner weight with the TDI.
This makes me much more confident in the engine not grenade-ing one of the heads when offroad.

Have you considered trying to make the i6 cummies fit in your montero? Insane idea, i know. But remember you're talking to a guy who slowly needs to rationalise his TDI 1.9 swap into the 80... Also, are 80s as common as XJs over in Aus? As in, if you're driving innacity, do you see one stock FJ80s every 20 minutes innacity?

glhf

>Transverse VW car engine in a Toyota truck platform
>This is a thing people do

Post kurūzā user

why do you keep calling it a kuruza? this is literally the first time i've seen this word

[spoiler]gas all weebs[/spoiler]

looks like ur engine pooped itself

I CAN see the 1.9 doing the job with the J80, as long as gearing is corrected to be shorter. Don't go in thinking you'll have a nice low revving highway diesel, because the reality is it'll have to be geared to turn at least 3000rpm@100km/h. It'll sound buzzy, but honestly a little diesel will sit at that rev range day in-day out without facing the "stress" of pushing taller gears. To give you an idea my 2nd gen 2.8TD Montero sits bang on 3000rpm@110km/h with factory gearing, and it'll do it all day near 40°C ambient.
>Have you considered trying to make the i6 cummies fit in your montero?
Absolutely no chance in hell it'd fit. From firewall to radiator it's 750mm, from firewall to rad-support-panel it's 800mm if I was to relocate the radiator infront of the support panel. Most of the ~3.9 industrial diesels like the Cummies 4B-T, Isuzu 4BD1 and Shitsubishi 4D34 are about 750-800mm long from bellhousing surface to waterpump/fan so even they're a stretch. You gotta remember they're built to fit an inline four or a relatively short V6, but then that's what gives the Montys a fantastic approach angle.
Although the 3.2 4M41 is still factory rated at 340ish lb/ft and 200hp and even makes the heavier 4th gen go pretty hard. It'd truly wake up the lighter 2nd gen.

>Toyota Land Cruiser (Japanese: トヨタ ランドクルーザー Toyota Rando-kurūzā)

Here's a non-retarded picture.

Recently, I finally got the winch on, slammed into a boulder 3 days later, broke the fairlead and the spacer block, and back it went into the back seat.
I also go the winter snorkel on (cyclonic instead of scoop so salt doesn't accumulate inside the snorkie) and put a ladder on the back tailgate for le funs.

this image triggers me wtf is happening

see

Should I buy a 2006 GX470 with 115,000 miles and use it as a daily as a I slowly mod it for overlanding?

Yes, you should do all of those things with.
Kinda wish we had the option of a V8 powered Prado.
>t. jealous ausfaggot

I love it man, it's the NP 3.8 so it's horribly inefficient but it's bulletproof.

Spot on, the 3.8 has plenty of power, is pretty easy to pull apart and work on (not that it really needs it) Only issue is the all too common oil leaks but nothing major.

Not great on fuel economy though, especially once I lifted, put on muddies, a roof rack and the front/rear bars. Still I think they look great and can be picked up pretty cheap so well worth it. I was always able to go toe to toe with all my Prado/Land cruiser/Jeep mates and carry a lot more.

>1 trip offroad and the whole front end has to be rebuilt

Jeep, everyone.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah. I want 37s but I have 15 inch wheels so I'm gonna have to get new wheels too. Its fuckin dumb bigger wheels are less rubber but the tires are like $150 higher. I might as well get competition stickies if I'm already paying like 400 a tire

Fuck abs. I want my brakes to work when I hit the pedal.

That rust hole behind the rear passenger fender...

37s on 15 inch looks amazing, and they work fucking well too, and the added benefit of being even better in snow than 17"

wat.
did you go over to Westcreek Blvd off tomken rd?

Yeah, they blocked it off.

Just cut the pipe to the length you need and weld the flare back on.

Oh. Sry.
Haven't been out there for a few months. I know they blocked up the trail with a few asphalt blocks before but that just kept away the 2WD trucks that existed and kept getting stuck in the mudpits. Didn't know they're making an "etobicoke creek" or some shit.

You can enter the trail unblocked on Dixie if you go past 2am. Keep a low-ish profile if you're going to enter from there. MNR data shows it as public land but that doesn't stop the stupid security guards from calling police if they're staying late night at the pictured "landscaping" place.

This is a great date idea btw. Especially in the winter. Be careful of the occasional friendly hobo under the 407.

I'd rather have 15s but BFG doesn't make 37s for that wheel. The only ones who really do are interco and maxxis and I don't really like any of their tires.

PitBull makes the Rockers in a 37x12.50-15. You can get them in radial as well, my buddy had a set, awesome tires. I have the 37s in 17" wheel size, I love mine as well.

Whats not to like about them? Specially the maxxis ones..

I had a set of creepy crawlers and wasn't impressed. They seemed too stiff I didn't like how they handled on the road. I actually had my Jeep death wobble and it was still leaf sprung at the time. I hear nothing but good things it seems like but I didn't have much luck. I never had much traction issues for as hard as the tire is but even a super low psi with bead locks it seemed like my Jeep wasn't heavy enough and it road rough.
I don't mind interco really just most of their tires are geared towards mud or aren't radial.
The main thing is I've just always liked and had good luck with BFG.
I've looked at the pitbulls and I see a lot of people on IG with them. I think I read they they are pretty heavy though and also don't know how they will act/last on the road much. I don't daily but I don't like to drive it on the road and to the trails

As someone who's own two different set of radial Pitbull rockers, one set in 41.5" and one set in 37". They both handle on the road very well, they are heavier than BFG mud tires, but that's because they are the toughest radial tire you can buy, bar none. Also they are expensive, but no good tire is cheap and they'll last you a long while.

Good to know they are road friendly. I might consider going for a set. It will be awhile regardless and I'm kinda waiting to see how the km3s are whenever they come out.

I didn't know BFG had a new set of mud terrains on the horizon? If they're anything like the new mall terrains then they should be pretty sweet.

>Veeky Forums
>date idea
>date
Fuck off.

There isn't much info about them and I have no clue when they are supposed to come out. Bfg hasn't said anything officially about them. Off-road.com did a write up on them and they have been spotted at some races.

Not the person you replied to

Not everybody on Veeky Forums is a kissless virgin kek