Do Americans seriously buy their kids a brand new car?

Do Americans seriously buy their kids a brand new car?

You act like Americans are only guilty of this.

Gee OP, does AN ENTIRE FUCKING GIANT-ASS COUNTRY fit into a single generalization? Probably fucking not.
People the world over, if they're rich, are more likely to buy their kids a new car, but they could also just as easily not for a variety of reasons. Was this really worth a thread?

In the 90s till early 2000 (bush) it was not that unusual.

Mostly it was a Ford or Japanese Car (Honda, Toyota)

In the uppity parts of town yes. My dad bought me a rusted out Suzuki Samarai for my first car. I remember having so much fun in that shitbox but the richfags bullied me. One kid had a brand new charger and a girl had a brand new S4

15 years ago it was easily feasible for even a minimum wage worker to buy a car brand new and own it. Now this is impossible because every car is trying much too hard to be everything else at once. You can't get anything in 2 seats, can't get an economy version, it has to be slightly sporty and slightly family oriented and weighed down with more useless fake comforts that nobody cares about as well as hideous infotainment systems that nobody else can replace. This drives the average cost of any car you can buy up to 4-5 years worth of your spare cash when 15 years ago it was just 1-2 years tops. People actually bought cars full in cash at that time.

America has terrible infrastructure in many cities, and especially where many families live i.e. in the suburbs.

Having a car is basically the only way to get around some places as there is no public transport.

I think the emphasis is on "brand new", not on "car" in the first place.

Also if having a car is the only way to get around then how did the kids get around before they had a car?

Also why aren't you starting building better cities?

To clarify on your point -- yes some families buy their kids a brand new car. But this is somewhat rare. I grew up in an upper middle class suburb and still almost everyone got a used car, even rich kids.

Depends on the city. Large ones are pretty decent. A city of 10,000 not so much, but they could also most likely bike, carpool, or walk to work until they saved enough for a car.

see Also we basically didn't. You'd get rides from people who do have a car, like your siblings or your parents or friends who were older, or youd bike if it's not too cold. Get to school you take the school bus. Otherwise your ass is at home.

Have this old joke

How did kids get around?

>kids
Rode bicycles and generally stayed in their neighborhoods

Typically a mother would be the one dropping a older child/teen somewhere.

If I had no interest in cars and had the money, I'd buy my kid a sub $15k newish, safe shitbox under warranty so I didn't have to think about it.

>parents buying you a car

Bought my first shit box at 18, 21 and I'm still driving it

When I was in high school not too long ago, there were more late-model cars than old hand-me-downs. Some kids drove Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. And then there was me, in my '88 four-banger YJ. I can safely say I was the only kid who drove manual, though.

>H-he didn't w-work for that

I don't understand this hatred poor people have towards upper-middle class people. Don't be mad your parents were broke as fuck. If you can't even afford a new car for your children then you really shouldn't be having children. It's just a poor man's excuse to hate on people who have the things they want

So then by this logic, /pol/ and the alt-right are just poor people who are mad at rich people (jews), and jews did nothing wrong

Wow...really...makes me...think...

This. My parents bought me a shitbox to learn manual with when I was 16 and I drove it, serviced it, etc until I killed it a few months ago. Giving a kid a new car is pointless, you should learn to wrench on your car, especially if you post here. New cars today you cannot wrench on as much as older ones.

You know, you really shouldn't be having children at all. This world is overpopulated as it is, and the last thing we need are more little scumbags running around annoying the hell out of us and sucking their parents' money dry.

Since this is a bait post in going to reply civilly instead of igniting a shitfest. I can see teaching your kids to appreciate something by having them work for it instead of just handing it to them. Also even a new shitbox is a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of having kids, yes, but a penny saved is a penny earned and a 10-15 year old car will work just as well for a kid compared to a new one.

Well, that's basically what they are. Just a bunch of white trash who blame their problems on another race. The equivalent of niggers blaming white people for their problems

I didn't say there was anything wrong with driving an old car. I just don't understand why people hate on kids who have nice cars

The answer for not liking anyone who has nicer anything is jealousy. It's that simple.

i got my grandmas car

Zoning in American cities keeps many residential areas void of anything except houses and schools. I was in a town of about 70,00 and in the neighborhood I grew up in we had no stores what-so-ever. The closest bus stop would have been a 40 minute walk to downtown which is where all the stores are anyway.

In other places where zoning is less strict or includes a lot of mixed-use areas, people will live within walking or biking distances from most places they need to go. Unfortunately in America you need a car or someone to give you a ride if you want to go any where.

So change your zoning if it's so obviously counterproductive.

sure I'll get right on that. Just let me make a few edits to our zoning ordinances. I'll have the changes on your desk by noon.

>tear down and re-do everything
Bad idea. Also theres no way he didn't have a convenience store/gas station like a Quik Trip close by that sells groceries.

"You" and "your" referring to American communities as a whole.

Replace Britain with America and America with literally any country and you're golden.

You don't even have to tear down things right now. Simply changing the code would already allow existing buildings to be repurposed more intelligently, and everything else would sort itself out over time as buildings get torn down and replaced anyway.

Stop. Just stop right now. There is an entire board for this garbage.

In Australia parents normally buy a 5-25 year old car for their kids.
You can get a great car used for under $5k but idiots want brand new ones to show off their (((success)))

It's usually wogs mate. Wogs are the worst for being materialistic, Do not date/marry one because they all want things

Isn’t it more of a foreigner thing (yes, all non-Americans are foreigners) to tax the hell out of older cars, so it’s more economic to buy a new one?

yeah, it's part of their "culture".
It's the american dream overall. That shit spreads all over the world.

Not that I'm aware of, whatever you pay in tax is what you'll pay in ten or twenty years. On the contrary, there's a flat tax for classics here that's often lower than taxing by the regular formula. It only needs to be a minimum age, reasonably close to stock and in reasonably good condition.

I grew up in an upper middle class city and most kids got a car in high school that probably cost 5k. There were definitely kids who got new BMW's and shit, they were the exception and their parents were idiots because most of those kids will turn out to be total cunts. My first was a Pontiac Grand Prix with 86k on it

In Japan, vehicle tax does increase for older cars.

The US also has collector car status that reduces vehicle tax.

Yeah. I also fix it up and my other car. That car is still going plus I have an old miata, which I also bought myself outright

That's nothing compared to trust-fund Asian/Chinese students at University. They drive brand new sports or luxury cars and have no clue on how to operate them properly.

My car almost got hit by some clueless gook in a brand-new Land Rover as she tried to park beside me. She reversed in and out constantly, had plenty of fucking space, and almost hit the cars behind her. She could barely look up past the steering wheel for christs sake.

I also witnessed another one driving on the wrong side of the road in the University bus lane in a new AMG Merc. He looked no older than maybe 17. He almost hit a bus coming the other way too.

I also remember the constant emails the Uni would send out, like "to the owner of the white BWM, move your car as you're blocking off an exit".

The stories are endless.

u mad

not your money why do you care?

I'd sell my soul for a rusted out samurai, around here they pop up with trans and diff problems and the cunts still want $1500 for it

This
The differences between states are far greater than the differences between most European nations.

>Americans caring about other nations besides Isreal

>People actually bought cars full in cash at that time.

You must be real young to think that.

America has been known as the "I have all this shit but I don't actually own it" captial of the world for decades

Sounds like UCONN

I had a buddy who's parents only let him borrow their cars. Never bought him one. It depended on his grades what he drove. His mom's porche 911 when bad and his dad's flat black Ferrari if he had A's. He bitched about the porche. Still barely could get a gf.

Wow its almost as if people are angry that kids are given free stuff without anything in exchange which destroys the perception of what something's true value is

>kids are given free stuff without anything in exchange

my kid does well in school and helps out his mom. he keeps that kind of thing up till 16 and you're damn right i'm going to buy him a car.

Someone Ameribear this retarded-ass comment

t. Poorfag

Why? It's entirely true

My parents didint buy my car.

>cost of most models have only gone up slightly in absolute dollars
>average earnings have disproportionately increased

You do realize most of the cars young people want are more affordable than ever right?

>Be loaded from writing a new book and not being a complete Beta because of your son albeit you don't know that
>Son is a good kid named him after himself, because he unknown to you went back in time and inadvertantly made your life better, though the good kid part is the only important thing
>Buy him a car because he's a good kid with his head on straight and you have the means

McFly did nothing wrong.

I salvaged a truck for my parents to use while they were dealing with a warranty dispute. They were going to sell the thing after the truck performed the summer duties of towing the boat and they got their brand new SUV back. I was surprised that they will keep the truck and it will be mine as a reward for doing well in college and saving their summer

in the suburbs, almost always a used car or the parents hand down their current car and get a new one for themselves.

No, I didn't. Google maps is estimating a 45 minute walk to the closest gas station.

You salvaged the truck, why would you need them to "give" it to you?

The average age of a new car buyer is over 50. Most millennials are buying used cars.

That isn't how that works you fucking caveman. Your children learn the value of a dollar by watching YOU make educated purchasing decisions.

A parent should not spoil their child but having their back financially, helping them make smart investments and purchases, and giving them assistance if they need it is the top tier method. Just expecting the child to figure it out on their own wit the massive, overwhelming wealth of moneymaking possibilities in this age is bound for failure and they will never be as successful as they could be.

I'm from America and I had to buy my pop's 2002 Camry off of him when I turned 16. It was only 2010 at the time though