Favorite Reverse

Left-up or Right-down?

I like left-up personally because it feels cool when you switch from reverse to 1st quickly since they're nearly in the same location

Yeah, I personally love that pattern as well, I attribute it to passing driver's ed since the car I was given to perform the test was a 2013 Hyundai Accent with that shifter.

Made moving from parallel to reverse parking a breeze as it was pretty much muscle memory.

Right down because I'm a butterfingered autist who'll reverse trying to go forwards otherwise.

If there's a reverse lockout ring to pull on, it doesn't matter all that much.

I guess right-down because that's what i learned on, and it was a 5-speed so it made a nice even pattern which appealed to my autistic OCD.

i've made the boo-boo of going into "reverse" when it was actually 1st gear and going forward. Mistake not easily made when reverse is bottom right, next to 6th gear.

While I prefer reverse being next to first, it being next to 5th honestly makes the most sense, and hopping from 1st to reverse is easier when it's next to fifth than when it's next to first, because it's one smooth motion.
I have cars in both patterns, but I've also got a dog leg and I prefer that most of all.

>Go into reverse at 1st gear speeds.
>Go into reverse at 6th gear speeds.

hmmmm

Odd how 1st gear speeds are almost the same as reverse gear speeds.ever tried going into reverse at 5th or 6th gear speeds?

literally every car has a mechanical lockout that won't let you go into reverse at highway speeds.

As for the thread, i prefer up left reverse next to first, i didn't think i'd ever get used to it but now whenever i drive someone else's shitbox where reverse is right and down i get really annoyed.

i plan on getting a wrx with right, but i do prefer left, it seems nice having R so close to the gear you will enter right after.

nothing is easier for 3 point turns... literally nothing

I knew 5 and 7 speed dogboxes existed, but I didn't know they made this.

>not having a manual reverse lockout

stop driving shit cars

>literally every car has a mechanical lockout that won't let you go into reverse at highway speeds.

Sounds like you haven't built many transmissions my friend.
The reason you can't go into reverse in most cars is because it's never going to engage with speeds that far off.

what the fuck is that shift pattern from

unimog i believe

What about right up?

when im super ripped its really satisfying to slap it back and to the right as im turning to look behind.

pic unrelated just sexy

>unimog i believe

No it's not, it should be spicer 1453 transmission, proudly made in the USA

what does building transmissions have to do with it? Every car/truck i've ever driven has some sort of lockout that either won't let you shift into reverse without pushing/pulling the shift knob, pulling a lever of sorts, or has a lockout that prevents you from going from 5th directly to reverse. Granted my experience is mostly based in shitbox land, but if my chevy cavalier won't let me go straight from 5th to reverse i seriously doubt any other car would.

left and up, if you are doing multi point turns it's a bit easier as 1st is closer

This.
The "mechanical lockout" that prevents you engaging reverse at highway speeds is literally the sheer difference in rpm between the selector and the gear its trying to mesh into (and the fact that reverse gear would be spinning backwards).

It's a made up pattern, you twits.

Neither. Left-down with a ring.

Separate stick.

20 speeds in forward or reverse.

Up-left and pushing down on the knob

I prefer either of those instead of doing Right-Up. Im always accidently shifting into Fifth

what car?

3D

Gated shifters had a similar mechanism to this.

>twits
i can tell nobody likes u irl

Left Up masterrace

left-up with a lockout

That guy is right, at least for 5 speed transmissions with unsynchronized reverse, there is usually a small ball+spring combo (or a lever+spring or a plastic collar+spring) on the gear selector that engages itself when you go into 5th and will mechanically prevent the selector from going directly to reverse in a single motion.
It is sufficient to temporarily put the lever into neutral to disengage the lock, after that you are free to try and successfully grind the living fuck out of the backwards-spinning reverse gear at highway speed.

It's a thing you only find in boxes with the traditional 5-spd shift pattern that has reverse where a 6th gear would be, to avoid absent-minded people from trying to go into a non-existing 6th gear. If reverse is somewhere else (like next to first gear) there is usually no such lockout mechanism except for the ring to pull on the lever or the whole lever to be pushed down or pulled up, which is sufficient to avoid accidental reversing.
I've seen that lockout in pretty much every 5gear gearbox (even those with sychronized reverse) I had a chance to open/fix and it's easy to notice even just by driving. It doesn't exist on 6speeds tho, I guess because the different patterns and the lever lockouts are more than enough to avoid mishaps.

You are still right tho, even if it wasn't spinning in the wrong direction, it would never engage because the speed difference is too high, it's the same as trying to engage a very low gear at highway speeds. I don't think that was ever the point of the argument.

The whole point of this "safety" feature is to prevent grinding/synchro wear, not accidental engagement.

You dummy
Go into any 5 speed car and try to shift directly from 5th to reverse with the car off
You cant
Not until you shift into neutral first
I didn't need to build any transmissions to know this
It's ez pz

I like left-up because it's close to Gear 1, which has the same gear ratio. It's more logical than putting it next to Gear 6.

I've only ever driven regular 5 speeds so I don't know if I'd like any other way better
I think reverse not being right and down would feel really weird at first

I like this

Bottom right makes more sense in my mind, since you're pushing the gear shift in the direction you want the car to go. Also it looks neater to have 3 on 3 when it's a five-speed, instead of 4 on 2.

Oh yes

Bruh it's even longer for me when it's up and to the left. Like I shift out and wiggle the neutral multiple times

Left-up for the same reason as Also, it means you're probably driving a car with six gears, not five.

What car is this

First one seems to be a first gen CTS-V.

Second one I dunno, but if I had to guess, it looks like another GM product.

Second ones mine, c5z

Drove a smaller Merc hatchback during driver's ed, that had a lift-the-stick-top-left kinda pattern. Shit's better than my fucking Volvo, I'll tell you that.

Beautiful. Wish all manuals were like this.

Or four.

I too have a Volvo, with the up-left reverse where you need to push the lever and I like it 10 times more than my gf's Merc with the same reverse you tried.

I don't know, pulling up the lever seems so unnatural to me