QTDDTOT - It's been a while edition

Roll the questions, others answer. Don't pollute the catalog with pointless shit

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1510532739645.webm
sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/2005-subaru-impreza-outback/6345432618.html
graniterun.com/VehicleDetails/used-2009-Pontiac-Vibe-Vibe_GT-Media-PA/3070751913
cioccadealerships.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-Honda-Fit-Sport-Quakertown-PA/3082273913
youtube.com/watch?v=n4vusY2-rkQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why didn't you post a link to the last thread?

So I replaced the starter contacts in a 4runner starter that just went clickety click but would start after awhile.

Started like new for 48 hours. now instead of clicking it just plain won't start.

Battery kind of sucks but tried to jump so that isnt it.

Should I remove the starter and have it tested or is their something else to try before I do that. removing it was a pita.

So after rebuilding the engine in my truck, it now will not start. It cranks over fine, but won't fire. Periodically a jet of fuel mist will spit up out the throttle body. I'm guessing the timing is off but I'm not sure how. I set cylinder 1 at TDC via the mark on the crank balancer. Truck is a 94 Silverado. 5.7 TBI.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1510532739645.webm

here's what its doing.

Starters cost like 100-150 refurbished, just get another one since you already have it out.

odds are its probably the solenoid anyways that's usually what takes a dump first.

Getting spark? Is the distributor's timing right?

best substance for keeping seals on a rotor during assembly?

$14,000 budget
4 door sedan
What are my best options for this criteria?
I'd like something with some luxury and/or sportiness to it.
Was looking at some 2008-2012 BMW's and Audi's, not sure where else I should be looking. I don't want a Civic.

Go BMW but make sure it's a 6 cylinder NA engine, they're more reliable than other engines

How do I bargain with those "no credit no problem" types of places? Can I just wave 80% of the asking price in cash in their face?

What's the best site for finding cars?
Autotrader? Cargurus?

Depends on what you're looking for.

pretty sure its right. went by the mark on the harmonic balancer on the crank so I KNOW cylinder one was at TDC compression stroke. I'll pull a plug tomorrow and see if its getting spark.

Also sounds like its cranking slow, but I'm not that familiar with SBC's so.

Anybody ever have success getting tobacco smoke smell out of interior parts? How'd you do it?

Sure seems like a timing issue. I don't know anything about 350's, but the mark on my Volvo's harmonic balancer isn't accurate because it's two pieces and the one with the mark has slipped.

Craigslist or whatever foreign equivalent is popular in your area.

>took off calipers and rotors
>impact gun wont get axle nut off
Do I have to put my rotors and calipers back on to be able to get that nut off?
Putting the wheels back on wont wok because the hub is in the way.

What are my options for fixing this myself? I got hit in September but I've been lazy and keep putting it off. Im not realizing I NEED to get this at least covered up before they start salting the roads and destroying cars.

Another pic.

I was thinking of using sandpaper and then spraying it with some sort of primer to cover the metal until I can get it repainted. Will that work or should I do something else? I'd prefer to just have a professional do it but I couldn't possibly afford it.

It'd be ugly, but it'd do the job.

As long as it keeps my car from becoming Swiss cheese that's fine by me

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/2005-subaru-impreza-outback/6345432618.html
would you guys reccomend a outback sport for a first manual car to learn on?
trying this thread cause i didnt have any luck on the other

Yeah. It's been cold here off and on so the battery's a bit weak. Got it on the charger now.

There are worse cars.

Go for it

How long do used cars usually sit on dealership lots? At what point could they be considered a hassle?

I'd ask about the head gasket since that's still in the grouping with those issues. If that needs to be done, I'd lower him to 3500-4k. Might as well do a valve adjustment and change the timing belt and water pump

Any idea on how much it could cost to have pic related fixed? The car's for sale near me, and the guy claims it's just the clear coat because of a "manufacturer defect", but the rest of the car is fine.

my cars air climate doesnt blow any warm air, does anyone know what could cause this?

>its just the clear coat
>manufacturer defect
that guy is full of fucking shit, he either left it in the sun every single day or never washed it

I am needing a daily drive car under 5k which is reliable. I totally my current car and I am going to move soon so I just need something to take me to work and back while i save up money.

Idk how rare it is, but I've looked it up and it happens. There was even an extended paint warranty for 06-08 models, this is an 07, that unfortunately expired in 2014.

I guess I'll just have to call places locally to see if I can get an estimate over the phone.

How are nissan frontiers

For a full respray even with fairly cheap paint it's gonna be nearly a grand in my experience

>not just getting 2 black spray bottles and get the deed done for 40€

What's the best way to get rid of rock chips?

I'm going to have my trunk lid painted and my car polished.

Question is, if I ask them to fill the chips and on lacquer, will the polishing blend them nicely into the rest of the car? What do you recommend for chips and blending?

Headliners typically soak up most of the smell, trashing and getting one from a nonsmoker car would make the most difference, aside from that having the seats and carpet properly steam cleaned should do it.

A few months largely depends on the popularity of the car. What exactly are you asking?

Any area with chips has to be completely repainted, for it to look smooth.

Been saving my money, now time to buy a car. Saw the perfect listing on Facebook, cross-posted into Craigslist, but wanted to sell.

Only thing is, the ad is in Spanish, and he's asking 8k where I've got 5k. Is it worth it to finance 3k (can pay off tax time) and slog through am ESL transaction for a car you really want?

Either the blender valve is stuck or your heater core is blocked. Both are expensive to have a shop repair it.

What is your impact gun rated for?

Fellow Veeky Forumstists there's a 93 GMC 2500 pickup that a person was selling to the junkyard. I can get it for $350 before it goes to the yard. The truck is running, has a 4.3 with manual transmission. Should I pull the trigger on it?

I was hoping there was a convenient way of doing most chips at once.

I noticed some touch-up show from under the clear coat/wax layer in some places, and assumed I could fill the chips, put some clear coat and polish them away.

Get a loan to cover it to 7k Jew him down to 6, or 6.5 tell him you have money in hand.

Nigga is that a 12a? Or a 10a? Holy shit that's a wild engine. I would try some kind of clip, however I've never rebuilt my 13b yet so idrk. Cool engine tho

The 4.3 is stout but I'd find a 350 to put in there if you plan on doing any heavy hauling with it.

And by showing up I mean, those spots were smooth before they showed up. Couldn't tell a difference, someone had done something to them.

Hard to do that perfectly if you aren't trained on how to do touch up.

For right now it's fine by me with a 4.3 might upgrade to the 5.7 in the future though. Any recommendations on what to look out for when I test drive it?

3k$ lurk moar
Heard great stuff about the xterra and I believe they're based off the same thing so they should be alright
Yes it's 350$ what's the worst that could happen
Subaru legacy spec B

Suspension mostly and how much rust it has. Like any sbc it's probably leaking oil too.

Vaseline nigga. Buy it with a bottle of wine for best results

I'll ask the guys when I go get the trunk lid done. Cheers for the advice

1972 Sachs km914a, 2 stroke 16 hp (with the tiny stock carb) 300cc air cooled so hence the shitload of fins. and assembled engine weighs around 50 lb, and about 30-35 of that is aluminum

got it though I prefer Jager myself

Th-thank you GSL-san

It's a Florida truck hopefully rust won't be much of an issue. I'll check the suspension throughly though.

>though I prefer Jager myself
~Oooh! Kinky

>Lurk More

Guess i'll get an accord then. Thanks

Holy fuck that's rare cool find dude.
Nya~~
3k$ civic sorry I had a stroke

>3k$
>--$
Someone call an ambulance for this user, he doesn't have long

Sweet, wasn't planning on keeping the headliner anyways. Thanks man.

is it safe to drive with a fucked radiator cap? last week after a 10 mile drive i got home with a fair amount of steam coming up the windscreen, opened it up and this is what i saw. there are no leaks of any kind anywhere else, it's just the cap is fucked. temp has remained the same and i'm usually not driving further than 10 miles at the moment, but i have to pick a friend up from an airport that's about 50 miles round trip.

it's currently cold as shit outside so i don't think overheating will be an issue, but am i doing any permanent damage by driving with this? MOT is end of this month so i can get it replaced then.

forgot pic because i'm tiny brane

nigga like just go buy a fucking new radiator cap for 10$

like shit nigga come on

How much of a mistake would these be? Current car is dying; I want a small(er) daily that has decent cargo room to move my few goods. Automatic since I can't actually drive. I can't use a wrench.

graniterun.com/VehicleDetails/used-2009-Pontiac-Vibe-Vibe_GT-Media-PA/3070751913
cioccadealerships.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-Honda-Fit-Sport-Quakertown-PA/3082273913

Any more USD and I might as well get a '14 Mazda3 hatch; any lower and I feel like I'm rolling dice on Craigslist. Other mistake suggestions would be cool, though.

What can I expect buying a 2008-2012 3 or 5 series BMW in terms of maintenance? I'll be driving it about an hour a day 5 days a week mostly highway. This wouldn't cause tons of issues right?

If there's no clicking it could possibly be your starter relay

Don't do primer with nothing over it. Primer soaks up moisture super bad. Sand it and put POR 15 over it or at least some paint over the primer.

Anything used BMW is going to break constantly

I'm looking at buying a car with a cracked flywheel.

The owner says "engine did run before it was parked due to cracked flywheel/starter issue".

I have no problem replacing a clutch/flywheel/starter on this car, I want to know if a "cracked flywheel" could cover up the fact an engine is fucked.

Also engine was replaced with a Grooms reman in 2002.

i'm lazy

i just need to know if it'll last 2 weeks with barely 100 miles driven

Fuck dudes. My old shitbox is on her last legs. Probably won't last through this winter. With the way my life is going soon (military) I need a good vehicle, which basically means I'm going to buy a brand new or near brand new vehicle with low miles.

Basically this vehicle needs to be
>large enough to fit my 6'2" frame
>utility focused in terms of storage
>able to handle inclement weather of all climates
>high points in reliability
>affordable (sub 30k, preferably sub 25k) probably taking out a loan
I'd prefer something aesthetic and sporty but that's pretty far down on my list of needs

Really I'm not looking for a "Civic for 3k", this is going to be an investment to the future.

300ft-lbs of torque, probably just not strong enough.

>2500
>4.3 v6

Concern.jpg

As far as I know the 3/4 ton trucks weren't ever offered with the 4.3. That being said, it's 350$. You could part it out and make double that back easy. Od definitely look into at bare minimum a 350/LS swap in the future though. Or go balls out with an 8.1 diesel or something.

you could potentially fuck up the water pump by running it dry. Like that other guy said, just get another radiator cap.

>go buy truck with good engine but junk chassis
>go buy coup chassis with junk engine
>go to fabrication shop, tell them I want mounts to put this engine in that chassis
Is that all I need for them to fabricate me some mounts?

What swap you trying to do? There might already be mounts for that particular swap.

Not sure, but tax returns are coming up and I'm thinking of doing a swap for my next project.

Why are DOHC engines more powerful and considered superior to their SOHC counterparts, mechanically speaking? There are SOHC engines with 4 valves per cylinder, so why does it matter if it's one or two camshafts doing the work?
Asking for a friend who wants to turbo his SOHC shitbox

DOHC allows for greater surface area of the valves. When they come down.

Thanks, best part is it was free from Craigslist just had to haul away the busted ass sled it was attached to

I might have made a boo boo today, but I'm not positive what the issue is exactly.

I was driving my 6 speed V6 FWD shitbox today, and decided to get on it a bit on a street that had no traffic. I had music playing and my car has pretty good sound deadening, so I couldn't hear everything that was happening too well. I started spinning 1st so I shifted into 2nd. I started spinning 2nd, so I shifted to 3rd. I THOUGHT I started spinning 3rd, which is normal, but the RPM started rising a bit faster than usual so I shifted into 4th pretty quickly. When I shifted into 4th the RPM shot up and hit the limiter almost immediately. I clutched in and thought maybe I had missed 4th somehow, so I went to shift it into 5th. I didn't miss 4th though, it had been in gear. Because of this, I'm assuming that my clutch was slipping pretty bad.

Now when I'm stopped at a light, I can smell a slight burning smell, and when I take off there's a bit of chatter and the clutch grabs pretty hard when I let off completely instead of the usual smooth engagement. Could this be damage to the surface of the clutch, or damage to the flywheel. If it is the clutch, will it eventually wear off after driving for a while, or will the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced?

Perfect go kart engine desu

My shitbox 2007 Passat is probably going to be dead within the next year or two. A lot of the cars I've been looking at with similar luxuries like leather interior/heated seats and a decent UI are pretty pricey even with cars that are 5 years newer. I'm mostly concerned with finding something reliable but also maintaining the 200hp and the decent looking interior and styling. Are there any hidden gems I could find made in the last 5ish years that'd be going for under $10000 CAD used? I'm in Canada so rust is also a bit of a factor here. I'd also like to switch to something with a manual gearbox or at least some paddle shifters.

that's the plan, mikuni vm32 or gx390 carb for moar fuel, custom 1" output shaft (stock is metric taper but pops off with 6 bolts) and a 5 gallon fuel tank cuz it gorges on gas. figure the carb with a large jet can get me from 16 to 18hp (or more, who knows) which would be more than enough for 300 lbs of meat and steel to fly down the street.
I just wish it was a km24, those cunts put out 23hp at 6 grand while being 5cc smaller

decent used sports cars under 10k? (v8-v10)

Anyone savvy on junking cars? I've got a Pontiac 1998 Grand Am I'm trying to scrap, Im hoping to get at least 100$ for it.

God I wish that were me

If you want to get the most out of it if it's still in decent shape you may want to consider parting it out. It takes more time but you'll get a lot more money.

Only thing really wrong with it is that my heater core is shot and the car overheats like motherfucker after about 5mins of driving. Besides that everything else is just fine, transmission was almost new when I bought it and so were the brakes. Unfortunately fixing the heater core or bypassing it costs more than I paid for the car so I'm just gonna scrap it or part it out. I'm kind of new to this though, if I wanted to part it out do I just call my local salvage yard? Or do I have to take the parts out myself?

I think the general rule of thumb is to post it on craigslist or whatever as a part-out and mention what's good and bad with it. You can either take it apart yourself if you have the time and space or just kind of let people show up with their own tools and take what they need. You'd probably be able to sell the body and interior stuff fast as they'd be easy to take off. Pretty much just post the add and get offers from people looking for certain parts. You could see about getting a salvage yard to do it but they'd probably want to buy the car outright for cheap. It's really up to you in the end. You get more money if you put in more time trying to sell off the parts individually.

Hard to say, I've never heard of a cracked flywheel, I know sometimes starters can chew teeth out of the ring gear.

The window seals on a van I bought are all rotting out and falling apart and there's a noticeable draft when I drive the car even when the windows are fully shut. Is this stuff real specific for different models or can I buy something generic and cut it to fit that will work alright? It's a Dodge Ram Van btw. Anyone know where to find replacement seals and shit?

thanks for the info, unfortunately I don't have the time to part it out like that, I'm gonna have to scrap it take what I can get. Will definitely keep that in mind if I have to get rid of another car and have time to part it out in the future though.

Well you should be able to get at least $100 for it even with the problems. Good luck user.

Make sure you price the panels high. I got constant calls for them

You mean the valves can be made wider in circumference with DOHC? How come? Can't find any visual explanation on Google of that and my little brain can't figure it out.

How long can I leave a car that's been stripped down to bare metal before painting it?

Is there some reason why they don't fill in panel gaps with bondo or something?

ChrisFix made a video about this
youtube.com/watch?v=n4vusY2-rkQ

Yes. Think of it like this, if you have 2 holes to put in a circle they leave more excess area than if you used 4 smaller holes, you can more completely full the space