Really hoping something like this is the future of v8 engines

really hoping something like this is the future of v8 engines

>35mpg combined with it running
>+150hp
>literally a big AC motor that is belted to the crankshaft
>takes a lot of load off the engine so it doesn't need to burn nearly as much gas
>regen braking too, although through the crank shaft so it is lossy
>batteries in the trunk, 12kw gets you like 60 miles of high mpg driving
>whole system adds about 200lbs to the car. not nothing but not that much

seen here bolted to an LS1

this would definitely keep NA V8s alive through stricter gas mileage requirements, but packaging will be a problem with that BIGASS motor

well presumably cars with these engines already arent doing much turning, so no harm done

>tfw an ls needs an electric motor to compete
gm btfo yet again

Future of v8 engines are ecoboost

I can see it being an interesting retrofit for older V8's with some likely hillarious potential in building a nice sleeper car

stock LS is fuel efficient kind of, 25 on the highway if you baby it, this just makes it sip way less

on a serious note how exactly is this hooked up to the drive train? where does the electric motor connect to get it's power to the wheels without extensive custom work to the transmission or is it placed on the axle?

it turns the crankshaft like it's a belt fed supercharger, hence the really deep teeth on the belt.

>150hp sustained from that babby motor
Maybe 60 peak, who knows how much of that makes it through the belt drive and torque converter. Complete retardation. Would make much more sense to do a bolt on behind the trans like a Gear Vendors OD.

wouldn't it be more efficient to have a much smaller motor spin a turbo?

oh i see I had it backwards I assumed that was a crank driven generator, I feel like it would have to be gear driven and deeper in the engine bay for mass production because normies would neglect changing the belt and eventually wear it out and it wouldn't look good to them without plastic covering it

for a factory built system that would make more sense yes, this it just way easier to install and sell as a kit.

The more I look at it the stupider it gets. Why the fuck would you still have an alternator when you have an HV battery? You could get a DCDC converter for less than the price of an alternator. Same with the AC compressor, get a high voltage one. Then you have more space for this retarded motor that probably contributes 15 horsepower to the wheels under ideal conditions.

that engine's already got a turbo on the left there
what else do you need?

Wouldn't it be more efficient, with less wear on the engine and more room in the engine bay if the electric motor was placed somewhere in the drivetrain downstream of the engine?

just bolt a wheel to the ac motor and hang it off the assend of the car

but why would you want to? This whole thing adds unneeded complexity and points of failure and all you get in return is a negligable increase in fuel mileage and a GIANT heat generator sitting right next to your block.

>tripfag proves again that he thinks he knows everything yet knows nothing

>tripfag

@18198210
>guilt
>wasn't even talking about (You)

i just assumed. i'm accused of being a tripfag very often, it's confusing.
also that's not how you....nevermind

wow a hybrid car!

But with this setup you cant drive full electric. To move the vehicle the engine needs to turn, even if shut off.

Damn that thing's huge. Dope hybrid.

Yes absolutely.

Technically you could cut fuel and just accept the huge efficiency loss of turning the engine.