Applying aviation tech to automobiles

I've been reading about the methods uses by militaries to get more performance out of piston planes, and I'm wondering if any of these methods would be suitable for automobile engines.

First idea, Could a power recovery turbine be used on a car?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine
trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/0802dp-detroit-diesel-dd15-diesel-engine/
rotaryeng.net/sum-turbo-comp.html
youtube.com/watch?v=zJwdQ1u5bic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-compound_engine

Some of the turbo compound engines seem to just add more power to the crank, others seem to produce jet thrust

Porsche's been doing it for years user.

Can you tell me anything else about that?

Alright next thing, the Germans used to inject fuel into their supercharger to boost the engines compression ratio / power. Are there cars today that do that?

Part 2 of that question, mw50 (half methanol, half water) was also used extensively in a similar method. It cooled the engine down, provided anti detonant effects, and generally torqued the power up by a good quarter. Are water or alchohol used in this way today? I've heard of alchohol drag racing engines but they seem to be simply powered by alchohol.

I couldn't find anything on that engine, but I found a BMW project motor called the turbosteamer, apparently it uses exhaust gases to power a steam piston engine. It's said to recover about 80 percent of the exhaust energy, add about 15hp, and increase fuel efficiency by about 15 percent.

They still do meth/water injection... it's more popular with diesel these days.

Detroit diesels dd has a second turbo that adds 50 HP to the driveline. They also have hollow cams, which is super cool

The link on that... I don't think it would work well on a car with the shifting gears and constantly changing RPM. If it's directly linked to the crankshaft, what's going to happen when you go to upshift and you still have the high pressure gasses spinning the crank and you need the revs to drop for the next gear?

Turbochargers basically replaced that principle, they are trying to scavenge some of the energy from the wasted hot gasses and it seems to work better in a car that's changing RPMs all the time.

There's that new tech with the DD15 too, that's pretty cool...

But I guess something to remember with those diesels is that they don't have nearly as large of an RPM range as a car. They only drop ~500rpm between gear shifts, not 2000rpm+. Any time you're moving in those trucks, the engine will be between 1200rpm and 1800rpm. And those trucks will see a lot of time cruising at steady RPMs on the highway so I could see that as a better application of the tech compared to a city car.

trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/0802dp-detroit-diesel-dd15-diesel-engine/

I gotta read into it more when I'm not working.

>electric turbo supercharger
>is actually just a turbo

>aftercooler
>is actually an intercooler

This feels like one of those crime investigation shows where the writers just throw in bullshit terms haphazardly.

This right here maine, planes get in the air and then sit at one exact RPM forever. I would imagine that a lot of airplane technology is rounded around this.

Intercooler is between two things tho

Yeah, it's between the thing that heats it up and the thing that consumes it.

Aftercooler would come after the engine.

No sweetie, intercoolers are used between two stages of compression. The term aftercooler is technically correct, especially considering the aviation application.

That's stupid. You're stupid.

>doesn't know that General Electric is the name of a company
Are you Patrick Star? Because you're living under a rock.

Facts suck

Democrat user pls...

I'm not the one revising history

Only reason they did that was to cool down the compressed air. Similar to nitros.

Something kinda related to this-

On turbocharged racekar mode, you can run a big turbo and run the engine super rich and play with the valve timing a little bit so the extra fuel causes combustion after the cylinders but before the turbo and it spools it up faster.

Another cool thing to look at if you're intersted- google "Turbonique", they had some cool drag racing products back in the day.

Doesn't nitrous release oxygen? They'd only use it at high altitudes, meanwhile they'd use mw50 or fuel at a low altitude

> the Germans used to inject fuel into their supercharger to boost the engines compression ratio / power. Are there cars today that do that?
I believe they injected water/methanol into the charge air, which yes is a thing. Fairly common in aftermarket turbo setups, the BMW M4 GTS is the only car I know of that comes with it out of the factory.

The breaking of the chemical bond between nitrogen and oxygen produces the majority of the energy. It gets so hot that you have to dump fuel into the cylinder to cool everything down. This also produces energy, but not all it will get burned.

The fw190 a-8 injected sc3 fuel into the supercharger of its bmw 801 engine during take off

Germans also made gas from coal during the war.

Oldsmobile used MW50 in their turbo V8 in the early sixties.

Guys
Hear me out, guys.

What if, like what if we had a jet-turbine as a compressor for a piston engine?
Like, have a small jet engine that spools up to force air into the intake...

rotaryeng.net/sum-turbo-comp.html

I'd love to equip some AMRAAM's and Hellfire missiles to blast the Priuses going slow in the left lane holding up traffic for the rest of us.

The air would be way too hot, you can do what you were describing in reverse though, use the piston engine to force air into a jet

Imagine being able to run air into a ramjet with the flip of a switch

God motorjets are sexy

it's actually slower though. You want the Jet turbine because it can propel huge amounts of air while weighing little.

The problem is that the exhaust coming out of the piston engine is anything but smooth, and would destroy the exhaust blades on the axial turbines, which is why turbos and compound engines use centrifugal compressors.

The reason why turbo compound engines are more efficient is mainly because the compression ratio can be increased, so you can recover more energy from the exhaust. Turbos have some effect as well, but they can't extract power to the driveshaft directly so it's not as good.

The jet engine operates separately from the piston engine. Same concept as a turbofan engine, but instead of the fan producing forward thrust, it funnels air into the intake. The speed of the jet is controlled by the engine's RPMs, of course (computer). Higher engine RPMs = Jet runs faster to force more air into the intake.
Basically at idle you'd hear what sounds like an APU running in the vehicle. Noisy, but neat.

That's literally a turbo though. Especially if you are one of those guys that wants boost at idle and use an anti lag device that injects air into the exhaust bypassing the engine.

youtube.com/watch?v=zJwdQ1u5bic

You'll note older systems used just the engine and were far harsher on the turbines.

>That's literally a turbo though
>literally

It is literally NOT a turbo.
A turbo is spooled by exhaust of the engine, this is a system which is spooled independently of the engine, but has feedback from the engine. Anti-lag can be achieved easily since the turbine is now independent of the vehicle's engine.