What car parts benefit from warming up engine? I used to think warming up your car was a meme...

What car parts benefit from warming up engine? I used to think warming up your car was a meme, but I just bought a used car not too long ago that drives like shit unless you warm it up; then it drives great.

Also, the car is fuel injected (before anyone suggests the carburetor.

If your car was made in the last 30 years, then warming it up is a meme, unless you're talking about the heater.

Anything with efi doesn't really need to be warmed.

Its a 97. I thought the same thing, but it clearly has issues driving if I dont warm it up, every time.

>drives like shit unless you warm it up; then it drives great.
T'would be the gearbox then sir.

That and the idle settles a lot more when it's warm, makes it easier between gears if it's a stick shift.

not about warming up the engine as much as it is about getting oil up to safe operating temps. cold oil is bad at lubrication.

People will disagree, the most convincing argument I've heard is that if you use a high viscosity oil meant for a performance engine, that the oil will not be at the correct viscosity until it is warm and that high RPMs under these conditions can cause damage to the engine. Had an actual BMW mechanic tell me this when I owned my E63 M6.

But prepare for lots of shitflinging.

A combustion issue or a knocky/ticky sound?

Why do we have this thread so often what's hard to understand in the fact that warm oil lubricate better than cold oil

but it's still the same oil !!
how can something have different properties depending on their temperature ?!
that's just science fiction

There's a reason why "slower than molasses in January" is a saying. Did you miss out on high school chemistry?

I was joking mate nobody is that retarded

you overestimate Veeky Forums

I can believe that, the issues it has sorta seem like a shifting issue (it randomly acts like I'm not giving it enough gas, but that might be just shifting too early).

Its an automatic if that makes a difference.

If you live anywhere where it's really cold, you plug in the block heater and then use command start for about five-ten minutes to let the defroster do its thing.

turbos, if you have one

ICE's work because the internal temperature of your engine block is warmer than the air outside of it.

You do the math.

By that logic on a cold winter day it should take about 5 sec to warm up, and in the summer like 2 min.

That would be assuming what exact temperatures are needed for optimum performance.

Don't be a turbo autist and play semantics.

>drives like shit
If broke, it need fix comrade. It fix, it drive well.

WHEN YOU ADD THERMAL ENERGY TO AN OBJECT, IT HAS MORE FUCKIN ENERGY MATE

Regardless, it shouldnt be running this poorly without warming up. It'll act starved for gas or air randomly when I accelerate (resulting in dropping rpms when I hit the gas) if I don't warm up.

My best guess is maybe something funny is going on with some computer cycles, but I have never heard of the computer being a reason to warm up your car.

what the hell made you think it was a meme to warm up your car? do you think your temp gauge is just there for funsies?

I always assumed the temp gauge was there to see when the heater would be warm and if youe engine is overheating.

I have a turbobox and have to climb a hill immediately after pulling out of my driveway so there's no real way to go easy enough on it at first so I have to at least partially get the oil temps up.

>what car parts
Your oil and everything it touches. It's designed to have a given viscosity at a given temperature so running high rpm on cold oil is a quick way to destroy your engine

>Molasses in January is slow.

>this fucking shit killed 20 people

Heater core

;)

yall need a water to oil heat exchanger and an oil cooler
>for reasons I refuse to explain
>That and the idle settles a lot more when it's warm,
I use the volt meter to determine

Well your transmission might be fucked user, read your manual on how to check the fluid level. If it's low, fill it up to the recommended level but do not add any anti slip anything to the fluid. It will rape your transmission

oil flows slow as hell in the cold, takes a while for oil to reach the head in the engine and to circulate in the diffs. warming up isnt a meme unless you want to fuck up your engine

winter i use a oil pan heater and even then run 5 minutes idle minimum, when i worked in -40c i would start my truck and let it idle for 30-45 minutes while i had a shower.

lol do you want to drive my 1997 Subaru Sambar when its cold out and hasnt idled at least 10 minutes? carb doesnt like the cold, cold idle cam barely lets you hit 60kmh, and 3rd gear grinds at high RPM

Yeah you might be right...but why would the trans benefit from warming up?

Your 97 is carbed? Also, I live in CA, temps are around 30-40 F in the morning, nowhere near the extreme temps everyone is assuming.

>What car parts benefit from warming up engine?

Your question is yet another one of those that can have different answers based upon the situation. Why don't you stop being lazy with details and provide info in order to get a useful answer?

The advice varies according to the type of car engine, your oil viscosity, how old your oil is (dirty vs new), and the seasonal temperature. There are places that don't shut the engines off for example.

Its a 97 subaru svx. Automatic transmission, and I live in the bay area.

Oil is about due for a change, but it isn't too old. Idk what other info you would want.

>how can something have different properties depending on their temperature ?!

Is this a troll thread now?