Wearing hearing protection while driving?

Any Veeky Forumsutists here do this? I'm in TX and was going to start as my diesel truck is incredibly loud on the highway. I know it's done on garbage trucks and that's sort of the db level this truck puts out.

What's the laws in your state/country?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E-EG0-gqUt8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i drive a straight piped ls1 and hearing protection is for girls.

right into the cabin at that

>lmao you're a pussy for not wanting to go deaf
yeah it's no big deal either but I commute now and 65/70 in a straight piped 1st gen with 4.10 gears isn't pleasant.

you trying to say you want to listen to what young people try to tell you when you are old?

I do on long trips. If I drive my Miata for 2+ hours without earplugs in, my ears will be ringing when I stop for gas. It's not even that loud in terms of exhaust, but the wind/road noise is just loud enough that on a long enough timeline it might damage my hearing.

always wondered this about convertibles, the wind noise is why motorcycle riders wear hearing protection.

It's bad even with the top up.

Worse than the noise factor, the sun fucks my shit up if I drop the top. I look like a fucking 25 year old LARPing as a baby boomer because I wear a bucket hat, bigass aviator shades, and lots of sunscreen. If I forego any of those items, my face is red as fuck after a drive.

Tell me again why straight piping your daily is a good idea?

Depends on speed - upto maybe 100km/h (62mph) you are quite fine in a miata for hours, at least i drove one few times for 5 hours drives with only stopping for a gas refill once.
Above that it will get annoying or even unpleasant after some time - I usually just drive it a bit slower on longer trips- more pleasant.

my cummins isn't even straight piped. it's got a 4" diamond eye with the muffler. it was straight piped before and wasn't really driveable even around town.

youtube.com/watch?v=E-EG0-gqUt8

4.10 gears is what makes it a bitch as it's probably pulling 2800-3000rpm which is loud as fuck on a 6BT.

I use earplugs on longer trips in my m3 with meme-exhaust, gotta protect that hearing. According to the papers it's approved with 96dB @ 5950rpm, so it's kinda loud at 8k+

Also, I guess it's legal as long it doesn't distract you. Never had any problems hearing sirens etc myself.

Why don't you faggots just put on a quieter exhaust system?

>J...just make compression ignition quieter
t. retard

even with the stock exhaust it's loud as fuck. they don't make 25 y/o exhaust hits for it anyway.

Use disposable foam ear plugs
Hearing loss can happen via cumulative damage over years, no point ruining your hearing when you can do something about it.

I use custom made ear plugs, because disposable ones are trash

ProActiv® Customized Professional Drive

Original was fucked when I bought it, got the loud shitcan for free. Gonna Fix it Soon™ though.

>Step 1: Remove airbags
>Step 2: Install five-point harnesses
>Step 3: Start wearing a helmet
>Step 4: No more sunburn or stupid hat

I'm legitimately surprised more people here don't use earplugs/muffs. Being adverse to loud noises is usually one of the signs of the tism.

Diesels aren't deafening though

If your car is so loud that you need hearing protection to be driving it, you need a muffler.