ITT: We discuss the AW11

Can we please talk about the AW11, if I had a spare 5 grand in hand I would immediately go out and buy one.

When I get my hands on one, it will be my first ever RWD.

It's a corolla just backwards, I'd spend the 5 grand on something better

I got myself a 1989 Supercharged MR2 about 2 months ago. It's a fun little car. Gets lots of attention. The seating is comfortable, pedals slightly awkward (your foot is next to the front wheel) Obviously they are more difficult to work on in the engine bay. The understeer is horrendous in the wet. But it's an all stock 30 year old car so hope I can improve on that.

AW11 MR2 Buying Guide

>don't

id start with replacing every bushing in the car

Yeah it's a driving project.

Also on the price. I wouldn't spend too much on one. Like $3k max. I view it as more of a toy, an autocross car is my main goal. They are still daily able though but there's more comfy options.

And then you snap oversteer and die?

>AW11
>first rwd car

you're going to die, chief

dont suck at driving

I want my first to be a goodie.
I'm sticking with 5 grand cause I'll have to import it, plus some odd change for repairs and what not, there are non existant where i live, but right next door( costarica) seems to be quite a few in good shape.

I'll be using mine as a daily.

some questions:
>will the mk1a seats fit in the mk1b (87 and up).
i want me some o' that two tone goodness
>the mk1b is heaver than the mk1a due to some reinforcing but how much heaver
i know the s/c is a lot heaver but what about the n/a

The thing is the mr2 will not feel like any other rwd car. It'll understeer like a fwd car most of the time. You can slide around with some practice but no lsd in any aw11 happened. The chassis was pretty bad, it was a first generation. It was a cheap sporty car, not intended for real performance. A Miata or 240sx would provide a better red experience.

I would imagine the seats will fit. I don't think they were too much heavier.

Key things to look for when buying one:
>Service history, or signs of lack of maintenance
>Rust under the boot carpet
>Missing bits of trim, particularly the plastic bits in front of the headlights
>Worn out suspension bushes, probably worth doing them regardless
>Coolant and oil condition
>Both popups flip up quickly

So far I haven't found my '86 NA too hard to work on, there's just enough room to do the timing belt and water pump without a hoist, and a quick Google search is all you need to find out most information.

I thought the aw11 was really go kart-y like
I've never done any personal mechanic work, how fucked am I for doing my own stuff?

Also on another note, whats the most common engine for these cars to come in?

They only came with the 4A-GE or 4A-GZE which are much rarer.

The chassis is actually really overbuilt and not prone to fatigue, and the understeering is mostly in part that only the 85’s came with rear swaybars.
It actually oversteers in snow pretty darn well.

I wish mine didn't burn mad oil and I wish I didn't hit a rock in it :(

But it's an awesome car. If you ever get a chance to take it to a rally/dirt road DO IT. You can get really hektik skidz. On the touge it's really good for grip runs and you can kinda drift it but the weight transfer required is really fucking delicate which makes it hard to do long slides without spinning.

If it is your first rear wheel drive car make sure you don't brake too hard or too late into turns otherwise you may spin.

Did power windows come standard on this car? There's someone selling one near me but it has crank windows.

Everything is just crammed in there. But it's all Toyota so you'll eventually get it fixed. Ramps or a lift will help a lot.

I have been driving karts since the age of 5 and the aw11 was my first car because I figured it would be similar.

Boy was I right. It's like a heavy fucking go kart and it understeers until you lock breaks and spin unless you are precise as hell but once you find that golden zone you are faster than anybody around a corner.

My '88 came with power windows but I'd rather have cranks because they don't work and I can't be fucked into fixing them due to the fact that they protect me from my exhaust leak I also can't be fucked into fixing.

How much would it cost to fix the parking brake on an aw11? There's one for sale that seems fine except for the brake.

How are peoples reaction to this car?
I myself have probably never seen these cars on the road.
I seen 1 ae86, 1 ae92 for sale and one on the roads.

How much more improved is the sw20?

I saw one at a McDonald's drive through a couple months back, and another really beat up one on the road a few days ago. They're really tiny, especially if you're looking at them from an SUV or truck.

sold this '86 for $250 to a crack head a few months ago. Cali car, no rust, working electrical. Needed a timing belt and paperwork I didn't have.

whereisyourgodnow.gif

The car really does look tiny, but I'm not all that tall to so I really wouldn't mind.

Well at least we know it's in better hands now.

he was a crack head, but he also was a crack head felon who was a retired Toyota mechanic. So he actually replaced the timing belt and fixed whatever issues the automatic transmission were having, and paid the stupid amount of back fees (like $800), and got it on the road. I saw it on the street a month ago or so. Kinda happy to know it's not at a junk yard.

It was an option. Not standard. I would stick with crank if you can. Less stuff to go wrong.

Apparently the aw11 parking brake system is flawed and rusts up. It's a very common issue.

who /Over-Rev!/ here?

>Apparently the aw11 parking brake system is flawed and rusts up. It's a very common issue.
Do you know how much it might cost to fix it?

>I've never done any personal mechanic work, how fucked am I for doing my own stuff?

If you have a decent knowledge of cars and engines generally work and you're willing to read and learn it won't be too bad. When I bought mine two years ago I had never even done an oil change before. Worked my way up to taking apart the SC and intake system last winter and I'm thinking about attempting to drop the engine over the holidays this year.

Get your hands on a full service manual and just work on fixing up small things like worn out gaskets and seals and you'll get comfortable with it pretty quick. The hardest part of small repairs when you're just starting out is just working up the balls to starting taking shit apart and trusting that you'll be able to put it back together again.

Twosrus has a whole replacement for sale on their site, I'm not sure how much it was, i think it was around 100 or under 200

My brother has a rolling chassis, an engine and a fuckload of parts in my garage.

Austin, TX

Anyone want to come take it for free?

>the last aw11 evenly remotely close at 2 hours away was a hot piece of garbage with a blown head gasket and suspension issues(that weren't mentioned in the ad)
>bought another shitbox instead because I needed a car
>by the time I can afford another car they'll be too fucked up or too expensive

just end my life

>if I had a spare 5 grand in hand I would immediately go out and buy one.
>If I had 5k I would immediately spend it on a depreciating asset

This is why you're poor.

I've been driving apiece of shit car my old man gave me.
I want something more unique and suited to me

Yeah I nearly pulled the trigger about a year ago too, but as we were setting up a meet (I told him I was bringing a mechanic), suddenly all these problems that he "forgot" to put in the ad kept popping up. Even if you get lucky and find a cherry exterior make sure you get the thing checked out before you buy. Most of these things have been flogged around since the 80's.

Yes that's true, you should never spend money on something frivolous or fun, everything must be a solid financial investment.

You've never had a day of fun in your entire life, have you?

who /blacktop/ here