Leasing (!)

>first owner of new car
>fresh, recent tech
>no maintenance costs

Can somebody explain why leasing is so bad? I'd love to hear from anyone who leased or weighed the options before.

leasing is bad because you never actually own the car. You either give it back after the 3 years or you buy the car you're leasing via residual buyout.

Leasing is always the most expensive way to acquire a car. You don't get nearly as much negotiating room as you do on buying the car outright and you certainly don't get as much lee way on buying a used car. Many people will confuse "well the price of the residual buy out is cheaper than buying that same used car on the lot!" completely ignoring the fact that they've already sunk some 1/3rd their money into the car. Either way they'll end up paying full

You put a significant amount of money into a car and once the term is up you have nothing to show for it.

>why leasing is so bad

because you never ever own the car, its not your car and never will be. i dont understand why this is so complicated for people to understand.

Lease new, nice, car every three years. Let's say you don't lease a shit box so it cost
>$2,750 down every three years
>$950 fee every time
>$279/month
Thats for a normal 320i, right now at BMW. Let's say you do that for 3 leases (9 years of car ownership). That would be $8,250 down + $30,132 in payments +$2,850 in fees .
>So $41,232 is the total cost over 9 years.
NOT COUNTING things like overage on mileage, repairing dents/scratches, upholstery problems (that you will be charged for). We'll just pretend literally nothing ever happens to the car and you never drive to far.
Okay. Now we buy one:
$33,450 MSRP right now. That's 10% down for 60 months which would put you at $411 a month. Average repairs once out of the 4 year (so 5 years). The average per year on a 320i is $1,041 - $1,273. Lets take the high side. $6,365. That means your cost will be about $39,815 in ownership over 9 years. But wait, we can sell the car when we are done. So let's say a 9 year old, well maintained 3 series would fetch about $6k. A 335i that's that old fetches between $4k and $9k, so that's a good estimate. Now the car cost you
>$33,815
A savings of $7,782.

So for that car, you have to ask, is it worth the savings? Not to mention things like moving off of full coverage on the car you own to save money. Passing it down to the kids. Etc.

There are a TON of variables, these were just some rough numbers for you.

Veeky Forums says leasing is bad because anons are poor and have no real responsibilities. Leasing vs car ownership is an easy flowchart.
>Do you have the free time to work on your own car and do you care more about fixing it cheaply than quickly?
If yes to these, buy.
>Do you care more about having a car with zero headaches and prefer to spend your free time not sweaty and covered in oil?
If yes, lease.

is this pasta? why make it so complicated? there is never any scenario where leasing makes sense and never will be, even if you got the payments back in tax refund which I understand is a loophole if you are self employed, you are still basically overpaying for a car that will never be yours. and by the time your lease is done you have paid over what the cost of the car would have been if you had just financed it.

>leasing is so bad
because someone is making a fat profit off of you

The write off on a lease is basically the same as a car you own. It's a net neutral variable, generally.
>complicated
>literally basic math

> and by the time your lease is done you have paid over what the cost of the car would have been if you had just financed it.
Just factually untrue. Find me a 3yr lease where 36mo financing is cheaper. I challenge you. You can't.

yeah because when dealerships sell a car they usually lose money on it

it's made sense for my wife an I basically as a way to extend and lower monthly payments. We're planning on doing a residual buyout at the end of the term and this is the only way we can fit cars that we plan on keeping 15+ years into our budget. And honestly, I'm tired of taking the cheap route of constantly doing my own repairs on a couple of shitboxes.

that's only true if you drive less than the 10k per year, otherwise the lease mileage fees will eat you alive

why would you interact with a dealership, ever?

>I have trouble paying bills
>I'm on a budget
>lemme pay more for a car
>I'm sick of doing the cheap route

So you have money problems but don't want to go the cheap route?

>I'm tired of taking the cheap route
How much more is it costing you? I find that if I do my own repairs then I earn about $200/hr.

I mean, if you just stop driving after three years, I guess this makes sense. If you keep a car longer than 6 years, buying is almost always cheaper. Even counting for repairs.

Oh you're one of those "I only buy cheap old shitboxes from craigslist" guys
Sorry guy, adults are talking here

>driving the banks car

what car? And how much? depending on the car it could go either way.

let me simplify that for you,

>are you a car enthusiast
if yes to these, buy.

Then don't drive more than 10k miles a year
Wow
>If you keep a car longer than 6 years, buying is almost always cheaper.
And if you don't then leasing is cheaper
Wow
> leasing literally never makes sense
>except in all these cases where it makes sense but those cases don't apply to me specifically so no one should ever do it

Leasing ever "making sense" is so fucking niche and retarded. Only idiots who hate money lease

If you are a real car enthusiast, you'd have a reliable DD and a project car/weekend warrior
Only poorfags can only afford one car, which defines almost all of Veeky Forums which was my point

I found a better deal on my last used truck at the dealer than I did from private sellers. Too many "I know wut I got" and garbage vehicles. If you go into a dealer and just tell them you're not putting up with any bullshit, they CAN BE fine. I was in and out in less than an hour at the dealer a few months ago with my truck. They made a profit, I get the super low mile truck I needed for $7k less than I was finding them online.

It's not a money problem, it's cash flow. We need to save another 20k in the next year for a house. Cost of maintenance on our vehicles including rental car for multi-day repairs was difficult to plan for and costing an average of $600/month over the last two years. leasing is $400/month and by end of lease term we will have the cash to buy out the residual amd pay less total than we would on a 60 month finance and have the down payment for a house. We ran the numbers and were surprised to find a lease made more sense.

>Veeky Forums is one person.
I never said it didn't make sense. Learn how to internet faggot.

>mile limit
>borrowed car

>unlimited use
>you have a car of your own after 36 months

Dealerships are underrated, sometimes they fuck some poor guy on a trade in and can make a profit selling cheaper to you. My mom got fucked when she traded in my grandfathers 3 month old 1000 mile town car, she got a $1500 trade in value on a $48k car that had barely been driven and was paid for in cash.

Or people who don't have to worry about money
I'm much more concerned with knowing that my car will always start every single time I turn the key no matter what, and in the rare event anything does break, I know I just make a phone call to have a rental car delivered to me, my car towed and fixed, all for no cost and no hassle
Maybe to you, I "hate money", but to me, it's worth the money for the service and peace of mind, and the whole point of having money is too spend it
Oh no I pay like a thousand dollars more a year. Oh wait, never mind, I remembered I'm in a brand new car while you're still in a 7 year old model.

I mean.... Except you are only paying out about $8k on that lease. Not $14.5k.

>I know I just make a phone call to have a rental car delivered to me, my car towed and fixed, all for no cost and no hassle
Thats a function of your AAA or insurance providing those services not the fucking dealership

>you have a car of your own after 36 months
You have an old car after 36 months
Why not cut out the middle man and buy an old car in the first place
Dude think of how much money you could save if you just bought a $700 junker of craigslist and worked on it every single weekend when something inevitably broke

Both are shitty options desu. Enjoy paying double the insurance on a bank owned car.

You can literally buy a low mile 3 year old Chevy Cruze for 8k. If you're poor as fuck and retarded (which you are because poverty) then you can buy a low mile Buick Lacrosse with 50k boomer garage miles for $2500 AND actually own a fucking car.

Nope, it's called a "warranty"
You'd know if you ever bought a car before. Those warranties don't last forever.

>how much money you could save
about $600 per month

On one hand dealerships are scummy
On the other hand, your mom sounds retarded for trading a 3 month old car with basically no miles for 1500 dollars. What compelled her to do this?

>changing the subject entirely when your arguments are destroyed

Your warranty doesn't pay for towing and rental cars you dumb fuck

Those warranties fix your car, not get it towed or get you a rental

>Veeky Forums is one person
That was my first post in here dumb coon.

Lol in what way? My whole point from the beginning was leasing is smarter than buying if you're not a poorfag.

Maybe your warranty doesn't because you bought a shit car with a shit warranty from a shit dealership
Any decent warranty covers all that shit. Like I'm surprised to know you can even get a "warranty" that doesn't cover basic shit like that

You are so fucking retarded, warranties never cover towing or rental cars.

You can find these warranties online and I'd like you to go find one that does any of this shit