RWD in snow

Just got a full set of 275/40R20 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 for my slightly modified 2016 Hellcat.

Am I a crazy person or do modern day winter tires make any car viable in the snow? The tread on these things is gnarly.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V_PqtSlhTDo
youtube.com/watch?v=iXDTR060VG4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've only ever driven RWD cars.
Never had any issues in snow, just accelerate slowly and brake soon.

You'll be fine if you aren't stupid.

If you are a good driver you should be able to. Just leave adequate space between cars and don't rely on the traction control/abs too much

Its all about power management. Your traction is limited on harder surfaces like hard-packed snow and ice due to the wide tires and a light rear end though

You should be fine. Remember that tires make you capable, not invincible

Do they really make a difference?
Yes, you are going to cream your panties when you plow through snow and ice the first time.

moderns snow tires give pretty crazy grip but you can break them loose. thankfully it's super predictable and easy to modulate and easy to regain control

but...why the dm-v2? that's the truck and suv tread, you want the WS-80s which are for sedans and such

Its fun at times, but it fucking sucks. I hated driving my Crown Vic, only because when I lived on uni campus a simple snow would prevent me from getting out of the parking lot without significant time shoveling. Granted I only had all season tires. Now I am driving a 4wd SUV and I've never looked back.

Average weight for SUVs and light trucks is 4-5000 lbs, which the Hellcats fall under (around ~4500).

Also there were no WS-80s in my stock size. Would've had to get wheels too.

probably size or weight the hellcat is around 2 tons

>Granted I only had all season tires
you solved your own problem within your post
snow tires would have never left you stranded unless you HARD beached your car on a snow bank

Another thing to remember is the traction loss is applicable on all 4 corners. You will be prepared for oversteer, but you just might under steer too if you're not careful.
>t. Slid a ford ranger into a ditch trying to snow drift

The Hellcat is like 650lbs heavier than my pickup? Daaamn

SHE GOT A FAT ASS BRUH

probably still get stuck occasionally if it has an open diff
snow tires aren't magic

I've driven a panther of some sort as a winter beater for over a decade. With decent snow tires they are fantastic in the snow, even better with a limited slip

they're fatties but you only notice it in the turns

seriously take a hellcat on the highway and goof around -- it'll totally win you over. It's a battleship for the road.

also extremely cheap to modify. Pulley and tune you're at 800rwhp, e85 and you're at 900. It cost me $3300 and change to get a 9.87@142 pass

too bad about that Chrysler build quality and Little Tykes interior tho

that's right I'm complaining

This. Just don’t get crazy and drive normal.

t. Owner of three mustangs.

winter tires and sand bags in the trunk (optional) make any car possible in the winter. dont let anyone tell you different OP

you get some rental fleet plastic but many of the touch points are leather. It's not that bad, but definitely lacking. I crosshopped with a C63 AMG and the interior in that was fantastic in comparison. Ended up wanting more performance.

There's a guy at work who drives a C63 AMG, he was in front of me this morning. I love the sound of that thing. You should've bought the Benz, Hellcat is only good in a straight line.

Or he should get the car he likes.

Normal traction control should be off for like 80% of snow travel anyways, it robs way too much power up hills or from a stop in snow. Unless you have a subaru or something with 4WD where it can independently assign power instead of braking.

ASC on the other hand should almost always be on as the yaw sensor is really helpful in scenarios where your backend starts moving faster then your front.

I'm with Chrysler cars get most of the specs done right, but their build quality is lacking a lot.

NO, he should get what I LIKE.

>exposing your car to all that salt
kys cuck

This is why I didn't buy a Mustang as a DD. It'd be great 5-6 months of the year, but it'd suck driving it in the winter. Being in a low down car, catching all that salt spray and road shit from other cars. Fucking sucks. Not to mention visibility is already shit 50% of the time in winter, sitting in a low car only compounds it. Plus I'd hate the thought of what all that road filth is doing to the car, especially underneath.

I hope OP is getting that fucker rust spray right before the snow starts to fly, or he'll be sad in a few years when the FCA pigiron frame shits itself in half.

I'll admit I was SUPER conflicted about it. The AMG spoke to me on many levels. It's a better overall car, for sure. But there was a certain allure to the hellcat. I wasn't able to test drive one, but a friend of mine owned one and let me drive it like I stole it. It's just such a theatrical over the top driving experience I had to get it.

>drive it like I stole it

> battling Canadian winter driving since 96'
> also drive for a living (~90,000 km/yr)
Decent winter tires, a light foot, and some foresight, you'll be ok.
In some cases, RWD in the winter is fun. Hang the ass end out, and hold it half way down the block, WITHOUT thrashing the tires.

why tho

I live in iceland and I have only owned RWD cars
if you are new to snow just get studded tires(if they are legal) or very good winter tires and leave the traction control on and it will feel like summer driving
I usually turn off the tc so I can whip it a bit in turns

true but they're pretty damn close to it
the only thing that could truly stump snow tires is getting totally beached with both rears totally off the ground or literal glare ice

hopefully I don't see it on copart in a few weeks.

it cost you a hellcat and 3300$ for a 9.87 pass. ftfy

Just set it to valet mode or whatever its called.

300 HP with traction control you've eliminated many variables surrounding power management and vehicle control in shaky conditions.

Now, apply smart-on directly to the driver and you'll be OK.

Step 1 don't be a retard
Step 2 don't forget step 1

true

Put sandbags in the trunk as close to being over the rear tires as possible.

I did this when I had to drive my Supra in the snow. Worked great.

Put sandbags in your trunk
Put studs on your tires
There you go, winter car.

Anyone here live in an area in the mid-atlantic where they're not even sure it's worth it to put on winter tires? Do you put on winter tires anyway or say fuckit?

>Put sandbags in the trunk
b-but that's where i store all the dead bodies

all seasons should be fine there, but you risk a surprise storm

As someone who's driven fwd, rwd, 4x4 and awd in the snow, your tires are by far the biggest factor in how the car will handle.

I actually prefer rwd because i think its easier to regain control if you start to spin. That's just my opinion though

Put the bodies over the rear tires then

Undercoat plus modern rustrproofing makes it pretty OK.

Not all winter tyres are equal however
youtube.com/watch?v=V_PqtSlhTDo
youtube.com/watch?v=iXDTR060VG4
Intrestingly the tyres shown in the first vid have opposite performance on wet conditions (based on their EU-rating the nordic style has around 15m longer 80-0kmh breaking distance)

Post results and thoughts, I want to hear what this lunacy brings about.

This.

With a good set of winter tires and a limit of 300 hp you'll be fine, assuming you know how to drive in the snow. I've driven a van with 360hp and the tires aired up to 80 psi in heavy snow, if I can do that you can definitely drive a hellcat in snow

>most of the year
>normal ass shitbox
>winter
>rally car

Cant wait.

If you have winter tires, you're fine. A rwd doesn't brake or corner any worse or better than a fwd or awd in the snow unless you're trying to slip the rear out. For regular a-to-b winter driving the only difference is accelerating. You just have to be a bit more conscious of deep snow so that you don't get stuck in it depending on what kind of tread you've got.

Have you considered removing the front lip?
It looks like it'll just collect snow.

>People like american v8 because of the sound
>Even though germans like AMG make 10x better sound and more louder from the stock

I admit, the new 2018 mustang for once makes finally nice stock sound. I think 2018 challanger too
But why the fuck were the previous models so goddamn quiet?

>Even though germans like AMG
Germans can't afford AMG.
They do sound godly, though.

This. I've driven only one fwd car in winter and never again. I'll stick to my rwd shit box

>80 psi

>tfw Hatsune Miku leaves the pits at SuperGT
Eargasms

Depending on how decomposed they are and if you're American or not, bodies should work too. Protip, restock the in December and it should keep the bodies around freezing and last the rest of the season.

Been driving shit heap volvo 240s wirh cheapo winters for 5 years. Only been stuck once that needed shoveling.

I keep a big ass tool box in the trunk for possible roadside wrenching and it keeps qeigjr in the rear makkng it a tank in winter.

Pretty much the only time a NA redblock is fun is when theres snow on the ground.

i had a roommate with a rwd towncar, we had a really bad ice storm one winter and we had street parking. you couldn't drive away, straight up you could NOT drive that car without somebody pushing it. i would get cell phone calls "hey man i'm at the stop sign cn you help" he was cool and would let me drive it while he pushed, but still sitting in warm house at 11pm watching tv and having to walk a block because his nigger hoopty can't drive on ice. on main roads it was fine, city never hits the side streets. i'm mad jsut thinking about that piece of shit

Its more fun when you have a best buddy with a 90s C-Class on chinese bottom-tier studless winter tires in fucking Norway