Not paying mechanic?

I took my truck to a mechanic to have the front breaks done and a coolant sensor installed. I know the issue was the sensor is the issue but he insist its not and i should pay for more work to be done. on top of that he changed my oil with out me asking to have it done. Can i just not pay him?

> Dad's bmw e90 was once sent to the mechanic for air filter replacement

> They broke most of the plastic covers to get to the air filter

> Full priced job

Never send your car to a mechanic unless it is absolutely necessary, i.e. clutch repair.

I wouldnt pay the oil change, he can call the cops. If the oil change is not on the list that you signed upon leaving them your car, they can fuck off. The cashier in the market doesnt put random shit in your cart saying you have to buy it, wtf.

he didnt provide a contract. He told me my oil was low and i said dont worry about it, i have some at the house. and he called and told me he changed it

You are not legally obligated to pay, but you may have some trouble getting your car back.

my truck isnt fenced in and he only has a spare key. im just not looking to get johnny law called on me

cops won't do shit over a payment dispute

Sensor or sender?

You are the son of a douchebag. Kill yourself.

clutch repair is not that hard

i think i might call the police office and talk to a lawyer possibly

have a giant fit when other customers are around, put that shit on normiebook, etc.

businesses hate bad rep. they'll suddenly be willing to settle. or accept the consequences, which will cost them more so even if you have to pay up they'll be hurting in the long run.

Not everyone has the tools,time, or equipment for that. It's in another league than say a alternator or something.

>call cops
>call lawyer
what is the crime here?

electronic piece that looks like a bolt that screws into the engine block that takes coolant temperature. not the spring thing that regulates coolant flow

Sensor is for your gauges
Sender is for ECU

id call them to just see where i stand legally and what my options are. it cant be legal to charge someone for a service they didnt ask for tho

both are served by the same sensor on my car

If the lawyer is charging the typical $400 per hour, then it seems like a waste of money.

Other way around....

Truck, you mean? Chevy?

yup 97 k1500

I would do all my own repairs if I wasn't living in an apartment building, had the tools and maybe even had a lift. Otherwise I can't.

same boat. i figured itd be easier to pay someone 40$ for the labor, i also supplied the part. guess thatd be too easy amd instead i get the runaround

You can not pay him and he can slap a mechanic's lien on your title and charge you a daily storage fee until you do come pay for it or if it goes on long enough he gets to keep your car.

>he can slap a mechanic's lien
Only if he has a signed contract.

He won't be calling johnny law dude

He will be calling his mechanic friends and their cheater bars and showing up at your house.

This. Do you have a garage that you can park in for a while?

thats not going to happen. my truck isnt locked up. i could drive it out of there anytime i please with legal reproductions

nah but i have an ar15

Okay user, were did the bmw touch you?

So why don't you just go take your truck back?

Gonna stay up all night? Because your tweeker mechanic is.

haha nah. he looks more like a depressed alcoholic thats had 30 divorces

Jesus American mentality. I should him over a $20 oil change.

If you know it's just the sensor then Abby didn't you do it yourself? Furthermore did you the oil yourself? Was it frothing and half full of coolant?

You don't know jack shit about repairing cars and your bitching when someone took the effort to inspect and try to repair your POS car but have no idea if the replacement sensor has even fixed the issue. He's trying to cover his sass because he knows even if you pay now potentially your going to come back in a week bitching about the same existing problem and he'll tell you to fuck off because you were to cheap to pay for a pressure test or any diagnostics. Fuck ECT is the easiest sensor to diagnose and takes 30 seconds, a multimeter and the specifications for resistance related to temperature.

Furthermore how do you know he doesn't have his AR-15 next to the window watching your truck.

>divorces

Probably has a good lawyer that owes him a bunch of money for Jag repairs.

>has oil change done even though it wasnt asked for
>probably $50 max
>lets break out the the AR-15 over it

fucking americans I swear

Learn how to write in elglish before you decide to cunt around on an english

Shit gets personal fast down in the south. A grade school history teacher of mine got thrown out of a holiday party in Georgia for mentioning General Sherman.

I guess low intelligence will do that to people

>you brought it in for a brake job and to replace a sensor
>you did not ask for a diagnostic
>you did not ask for an oil change
>you even explicitly said not to worry about the oil
Pay for what you were quoted if they completed the work you asked and take your car back. If you try and he prevents you call the cops and report it stolen, report any physical assault or threats made, then take him to small claims court for your vehicle plus damages.

or go full redneck and show up with your AR and we'll screencap this for the ensuing news reports

>report it stolen
Then they will take you to jail for a filing a false report.

But it's stolen. The mechanic has unlawfully taken your vehicle.

It's not stealing when you drop off the car and give him the keys.

That's not how it works sweetie

They're keeping the keys for reasons other than what you: The Owner, allowed them to do. It is theft at worst, and extortion at best.

>what is a mechanic's lean
If you don't pay the bill he will place a lean on it for the price of the services rendered and keep it. If it's worth owning at all bet your ass one of the employees will pay that lean and take the vehicle.

Can you prove that? Any evidence?

It is after you've paid for the work you were quoted and they refuse to return your property. Sure if you refuse to pay entirely they can keep it and put a lien on it and you're fucked, but you're protected from unfair and deceptive acts and practices that include extraneous services and unapproved work. Any cop you talk to when trying to report it will correct you when you give the the details of the situation rather than wait for you to finish and and go HA GOTCHA

?

He'll have to stop leaning to go take a shit at some point so OP can recover his car then

No cop is going to wade into a civil dispute.

did they install the sensor?
just pay for the work they did and don't go back.

called him and he seems faurly reasonable. he said he wouldnt charge me for the oil change but hes sticking to his guns about the sinsor. so im probably going to pay him for replacing the sinsor even tho he probably didnt do it then change it my self. (ill wind up paying 150$ for something thatd be 30). i guess ive learned my lesson and will be performing my own repairs from now on

So did he replace the sensor or not?

Wow you were talking about shooting a man with your Assault Rifle 15 over fucking $50 before you even called the man??

fucking americans.

no? that was a hypothetical sercomstance. are you capable of reading social sercomstance literal autist. arnt you supposed to be getting plowed by a van of peace right about now anyway?

ill see when i pick up my truck. Currently with out transportation. im guessing he cleaned the old one and put the wire harness from the new one on it

Did he do the brakes?

>sercomstance

he said he did over the phone. theres no bullshitting that mine were pretty worn out.

pffft what ever m8 i got my point across

>not fixing your car in a Russian garage
>being this big of pleb
I bet your car doesn't have any visible wires.

Hahahaha wow, muricans

Nigger he's not breaking out the AR to get his car back, he's breaking out the AR to keep some junkie mechanic from coming by and fucking him in the ass to teach him a lesson on paying for shit he didn't want.

>letting someone else work on your shitbox
Did you ask him to service your wife as well?

No signatures, no recording, no bills.

fuck em.