/stsg/ - Starsector General

>What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8.1aRC8

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>/stsg/ modpack
mediafire.com/file/qz68gks6ebv4btf/Starsector General Mod Pack Version 1.7z

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/qz68gks6ebv4btf/Starsector General Mod Pack Version 1.7z
mediafire.com/file/tmad99gupybgxm9/Starsector General Mod Pack Version 3.7z
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12553.15
pastebin.com/raw/SR8pWAgH
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10992.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>/stsg/ modpack
>mediafire.com/file/qz68gks6ebv4btf/Starsector General Mod Pack Version 1.7z
Um, what about this?
mediafire.com/file/tmad99gupybgxm9/Starsector General Mod Pack Version 3.7z

when you fuck a nevermore right in the middle, does your dick pop out in a different dimension?

I was a bit distracted and wanted to make one before the old thread got bumped off again, sorry.

no problem, people were still downloading Version 1 when the third came out

>Modpacks
>Off Veeky Forums
>By a random user with no credentials
>And filled with shitty mods
nah

and he's spamming his fucking ass off too

worst OP thread yet

prv starworks v4

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12553.15

patch notes: pastebin.com/raw/SR8pWAgH

Also, please don't distribute this mod anywhere else, or include it in any sort of compilation. If you want to share it with someone, link them to this thread or the mediafire download.

yeah i'd appreciate not being included in the mod compilation, thanks.

user, do you really expect that the modpack cuck is going to pay attention?

add frigate LPC's thanks

Just started replaying the game from years ago, can officers get industry skills or am I fucked and forever set to miss out on sweet salvage?

since he didn't ask in the first place, no, probably not

we had i think it was meso here the other day too, who i'm pretty sure feels the same way i do

Why would you not want to be included in a mod pack

Don't want to have to fix bugs that are discovered?

Officers can only get piloted ship skills. Nothing that affects the entire fleet.

Is the modpack an actual mod of some sorts or just a zip with a bunch of popular mods in them?

it's a collection of random garbage, with extra modifications on top

Just a bunch of random shit you can find on your own for less the hassle, without having to worry if a random user is giving you shady shit. Just go to the forums, click on a mod, and if you think it looks cool try it out.

>less hassle
Mods are the biggest fucking hassle in this game.

Literally copy+paste and edit vmparams for memory allocation and you're good. None of the good mods conflict with each other, what's the issue here?

More faction variant ships when? Outside of RP purposes, the Church is just a shittier Hegemony.

Give the cathedral massive buffs, also built in frigate LPC's, problem solved

shid

this, at least the paths ships have something unique about them.

>all those suggestions to go with your own faction

Don't you get stuck with markets that have only shitty low tech stuff?

>Strap on a shitton of tactical lasers and IPDAI
>Lasers keep stuttershooting because they can't decide on which missile they actually want to shoot at

taclasers actually don't have fantastic tracking speed

also you probably had the group set to LINKED so they all try to shoot the same missile

It's not the tracking speed, they seem to stuttershoot even if it's sabot-tier slow and coming near perpendicular to the ship.

Just make an alliance with whatever faction's shit you want & max relations.
Works as a commission so you can buy everything.

Why haven't you wrecked your ships yet, /stsg/?

>When you get a ship with 3 irrelevant d-mods
>When you have 3 points in repair & safety procedures
>Battleships that cost less to field & maintain than destroyers

dmods?
i know nothing of this game and I want to know whats up?

permanent damage.

the upside is that the ships end up cheaper to maintain.

Fuck
Mod
Packs

And fuck the asshole who makes them without permission from the content authors. Fuck him with a rusty rake covered in super glue.

what kind of dmods are you looking for?
are there any decent tutorials on making a good fleet?

There's the Turrets Gyros hullmod for that.

Generally shit like damaged structure/armour. Maybe the one that gives worse flux stats (unreliable subsytems iirc?) or damaged thrusters, but depends on the ship.

Fleet makeup can vary on how you want to play.
The most generic setup you can do is a couple big slow tanky ships to eat fire (Onslaught, Dominator etc) while you have smaller assassin ships sweeping up enemies and exploiting overloads (Sunder & similar work well).
Phase ships generally aren't worth their cost, with a couple of exceptions.
Carriers are amazing support, as long as its not a Condor.
Don't buy Wolfs to fill out your frigates, they're trash.

You always need more PD.

Alright, how exactly is it determined if you can salvage a particular derelict ship? If I saved as soon as I saw the hulk drifting, then continued to it and checked it and it was only salvageable not recoverable, do I have any chance to recover it via savescumming?

Pretty sure its decided on spawn if its recoverable or not.
Savescum wont help.

Fuck.

What file would I have to edit to change the numbers of character skills? I want to change the scaling on the max hirable officers skill from 6/8/10 to something like 8/12/16.

>Condor are bad carriers
Stop giving them vanilla pilum garbage refit them with a salamander pod.

still ain't got shit on a drover

you get what you pay for i guess

>without permission from the content authors. Fu
what're they going to do, call the internet police?

big bad anonymous is giving away my free content for free?

settings.json

And modders, make stuff for free, in their free time, because they want to and share it with others because they want to.

And, it is nice to respect their wishes. After all, they certainly don't have to release anything. Why would you mistreat someone like that?

A little bit of respect and civility goes a long ways.

I think we should have a recommended mod list, but a hacked together mod pack? Thats fucked.

My only not (D) ships is my flagship.

For the rest...

IN RUST WE TRUST

>he used the retarded mod with cruiser sized torpedos

y dough?

I guess it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

And asking for forgiveness, when you know what you are doing is wrong. Is a manipulative tactic, that is going to make folks mad... Even if they don't show it, and accept the apology.

>modpack is requested for months
>user makes modpack
>fuck modpacks >no handholding >ask for permission from all the mods
christ /stsg/ the thread is almost as much of a clusterfuck as the game.

>Being proud of fucking over modders because of such an unreasonable request
And then people wonder why modders quit and their mods no longer gets updated.

i do think it's unreasonable to ask user to get in touch with what looks like hundreds of mod creators before redistributing their already freely available content.

You have obviously never curated and maintained anything in your life of course so you'll go on hating like the pleb you are.

pic unrelated

Is like, two dozen at the most. So like, an hour of private messages tops. Wow so hard!

And, he also is changing things as well. It is a bit more than just redistributing their mods.

And that is even ignoring the intrinsic problems a mod pack has that are unrelated to the entire permission / modifications of their work points. If you folks are not smart enough to realize by default what they are, ask a modder to explain them to you.

>hundreds
Except half of the mods are the work of a small group. Is it too much to ask to copy-paste a private message to the 10-12 different modders asking for permission? I don't think so.

Plus some of them already explicitly allow redistribution, and others explicitly forbid it.

>You never created or maintained anything
You are funny.

Let's not forget the fact that a mod pack is very risky to begin with and could very easily damage or destroy the game's reputation. Imagine if someone acted like the mod pack author and added in something malicious? How long would it take before someone started blaming Alex or the modders, especially if it was a timed release thing?

>wow so hard!
at this point i am assuming you are twelve, this is completely naive

>and he also is changing things
well he did add the miner

It's very simple, if you don't like it, make your own. oh, you didn't? then fuck off, some of us appreciate the hour of saved effort of right clicking extract on a hundred mods.

>before someone started blaming Alex or the modders,
>for a zip file mod compilation uploaded on Veeky Forums by some college freshman
just ignore them as any adult would. ridicule is also acceptable.

i swear we need to start policing for underage b&

Okay, I don't like much the idea of a modpack mainly because of how often they get outdated, but malicious content is a bridge too far for me. It would be red flagged nearly instantly.

Sneaking in unwanted hidden gameplay alterations, that I could see but same thing: it would probably be signaled quickly.

Heh, wishful thinking pilot.

You are the misinformed one. As that is exactly about how much "work" it would be.

>i swear we need to start policing for underage b&
I wonder if you could train an NLP learner to detect underage posters

Hundred mods? An hour of work?

You are full of so much shit, there is nowhere neat that many mods, nor is it that much work.

>An hour to shift click a dozen or two files, right click and then click extract here
Yup, sounds about right for the time it takes me. Oh wait, I'm not totally inept as using my computer, unlike some others here

Oh SHUT THE FUCK UP MIDNIGHT!!!

>It's fine to create and maintain a modpack, staying on top of every update, repackaging and re-uploading a new version each time for the foreseeable future.
>It's too much work to ask permission to a few modders once.
Logic not found.

And it is funny, now Midnight has become the phantom boogeyman of the Starsector Veeky Forums.

(Also, that isn't him)

Stuff it Soren

>he thinks difficulty is a function of time spent only
some things are much harder to do even if they take less time

but you would know this if you were not a literal child

So is there no way to mass-remove things from storage?

I started setting up a "god" save to test all ships& fits, but it takes forever to take out literally thousands of weapons and modules out of the storage

use mouse/keyboard macro software i guess

I understand. Sending someone a PM is hard: you have to use words and be polite.

why would you move them out of storage en mass? just grab the stuff you need

>I finally understand
Good. Now get out normie, you're shitting up the thread with your concern trolling.

Don't come back and take your namefag mod drama with you.

Heh, what a sweetums this guy is.

>someone on Veeky Forums is being mean to me
it's because you are shit

Yes sir, right away sir. Your flawless rhetoric and on point argumentation opened my eyes and showed me the errors of my ways.

yeah he's like this more or less constantly

it must be tiring

The guy being "shit" is the guy doing the modpack, and the folks defending him.

Anyone who is too dense to realize that, is a dumbass motherfucker. Deal with it, truth hurts don't it?

It certainly isn't unreasonable, that he ask permission like some folks are suggestion.

>muh mod pack

nobody cares. why would anyone download this? as soon as a mod updates you need to update and reupload the entire thing or the user needs to go and pick through individual mods anyway. if you wanna "do the community a favor" or something why not just work on formatting a better source of information about which mods are good? not hands-on enough for you?

ps: it doesn't matter if this guy asked the modders or not beforehand. because a) they would have said no and b) he would not have cared that they said no, which should be immediately obvious to anyone with two brain cells

>Found Astral
>two d mods, one of them is crappy hangar

Should I restore?

It isn't being mean that is the problem.

The issues, are the problems of the mod pack, and the people who do not understand what they are or perhaps choose not to even though people are explaining what they are.

Some of the problems can be solved, and people are suggesting how they can be. And some can not be solved. Really, a mod pack is not a very good idea to begin with.

Is there a mod that overhauls tons of QoL features and small balance changes such as weapon rebalances, economy and other stuff?

Dynasector

>84 replies
>24 unique posters
Must be Soren again getting his panties in a twist and trying to act like he is several people at once

Gonna turn into a shitstorm tomorrow then, clearly.

Yup...

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10992.0

Thoughts?

>Caveats
>fuckhuge list of important stuff

yeah i think i'll pass

>xeno

no thank you

My thoughts:

AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

It makes the AI less intelligent, thus degrading gameplay. Breaks random shit in vanilla.

Is not compatible with some faction mods, and will outright break some types of custom ship system AIs in them etc.

Xeno makes it, nothing he made or makes ever works right... Ever, yes really. He is a buffoon.

Let's not forget this gem on the OP of the page:
Lastly... I don't think there are any crash bugs left, but if there's anything I've learned from SS modding, it's that a public release inevitably means that Nature will provide the millionth monkey, hah.

Nexerelin and randomly generated sector is bullshit.

there should be at least some pattern in the placement of factions. I am looking at a system with 5 planets, 2 are hegemoney, 2 are trijews and 1 belongs to the imperium. You cant go to any systems without a massive fleet since all factions are mixed up

Nobody asked for a modpack though?

Why would you? There's literally a link to a mod index with the good/popular mods in the OP and pinned on the forums. It is literally right there. It's not even difficult to install them, and the only edit you need to do is to change your RAM settings, which again isn't hard at all.

if you want a more carefully curated experience, well, that's what corvus mode is for

That picture sums up these threads so well it's uncanny...

How about 'don't want to get screamed at by brats using broken shit that fucks my mod up and get blamed for it'?

This