Jcp closing thread

So a few days again jcp is closing up to 140 stores.

Do you guys thing Jcp will last, or will amazon kill it?

I want it to fail so badly. Fuck this place.

newser.com/story/238869/jcpenney-closing-at-least-130-stores.html

retail will all die

JCPenney has already killed itself with Ron Johnson's pride. A few CEOs later, it hasn't recovered yet, and is unlikely to. It's a drawn-out whimper of a death, but unless they actually get realistic about their position to consumers, they're just going to fade.

Amazon has little to do with it, to be completely honest.

when do you think they will?

opinions of the current CEO Marvin ?

Lol.
I just covered the last part of my short a month ago.

another thought, will this be a slippery slope by closing stores ?

It seems that he's definitely doing what he can to turn the ship away from complete disaster. I'm not an expert, but it seems he has helped the dying brand stay afloat. But there's only so much you can do when things get to the terminal phase.

what makes it the terminal phase ?

one thing he did was had out coupons like they were candy, and it costed jcp. he admits it was a mistake

Slow, low earnings, barely meeting projections (q4 2016 fell $.02 billion short of expected revenues), shrinking general market for the type of store it is. Department stores in general need some re-envisioning.

Not really sure what you mean by that. It's not like stores close just because it's trendy to close. They close because they don't make enough money. If you're asking if the closing of stores will dissuade consumers from shopping at their other stores, I doubt it. There's not much reason to believe that. If anything, I would think that it might consolidate their customer base. The stores that are successful enough to stay open SHOULD remain successful enough to stay open, and perhaps gain customer runoff from the closed stores if they're somewhat local.

how do you feel about the credit card pushing, and the non stop coupons.

also they lost a lawsuit in California about fake sales.

I have no opinion on those things.

Just wondering, why do you dislike JCPenney so much and want it to fail?

>why do you dislike JCPenney so much and want it to fail?
I'm going with a guess that he's short too.
Either that or they fired his ass.

RENT. This is why retailers will die. The onerous terms that the (((malls))) place upon tenants are a financial iron cross. Base rent + common area maintenance charges + taxes + % of income + capital improvement fees + special charges.

Retail's dying fast - it can't compete with Internet businesses that just need a warehouse and webpage. (No rent, etc.)

Shit I have some shirts I got for christmas that I never exchanged.

Tell this to Macy's and see everyone laugh at you.

Macy's in closing a bunch of stores too. They expanded too aggressively a few years ago in taking over other big department stores like Marshall fields

Will it though? I know plenty of people who need to buy something asap and don't want to pay for shipping.

Or with clothes, people like to try it on before they buy.

naw, I just feel the business has strayed to far from the Penney idea. needs to be out down.

Macy's shares have collapsed over the past year and a half - where have you been?

Except for grocery stores, Shipping is impractacle for parishible items.

the trump curse.

i think a good idea would be for a retailer to team up with Amazon. if Amazon wants brick and mortar stores, it would be a cheaper route to just team up with a retailer

Correction:
If Amazon wants brick and mortar, they can wait for Sears or JCP to go out of business and buy the RE at the fire sale.

Anyone roughly at the level of Macy's or above on the solvency scale will just merge amongst themselves rather than get raped by a tech company with no respect for their industry.

You're right about that, i can totally see Amazon doing that

and then they could do within the day pick up with drones deilivering to the store.
who do you think Will go out first, sears or jcp?

Well, then you should have been short, if you're that convinced.
At least that way you'd have profited from your insight.

I may buy into it for a short sell. the stock is so cheap right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 11 again.

>buy into it
>short sell
wat

I mean for a short term sell. I am not too familiar with the jargon.

You mean you would buy the stock despite believing they're going to fail?
Isn't that sort of the opposite of what you should be doing?

Yes, It is a slow death spiral, but over the past 5 years, jcp stock has dropped for the christmas season, then picks up for back to school, then drops again.

It could be a quick buck, now I would never do a long investment in the stock, but for its high volatility, it could be promising.

>I would never do a long investment in the stock
Right, these are the kinds of things you should short, which means you would profit the more the stock falls.
If you're unfamiliar with how that works, check it out on Investopedia or something similar.

People still don't trust internet retailers, especially after being burned by shitty sellers on eBay and even Amazon.

Amazon already has Prime Pantry. As a lazy piece of shit, it's pretty good, but the selection is fucky. Sometimes they have a great selection, sometimes they have a terrible selection.

They sell fresh groceries too, but I've never used it, since the markup is terrible.

when do you think, if at all, will Amazon replace retailers ?