Angband 4.1.0 has been released:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=122044#post122044
New 4.1.0 Oook.cz comp which no one from here will play:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php
URR (non-)update:
ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2017/06/24/burnout-and-the-future/

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>in case /dcssg/ ever wants to play games other than crawl online
roguenex.us/ (CDDA)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14723.msg302113#msg302113
nethackwiki.com/wiki/Fountain
twitter.com/AnonBabble

l - the ring "Xacaa" (left hand) {-Tele rElec MP+9 Int+4 Slay+2}
t - the ring "Guteuq" {rF+ MP+9 Str+4 Int-4 Dex+4}
WHICH IS BETETELE DONT MATTER
IS THE +4 STR AND DEX BETTER THAN A MEASLY +2 SLAYR
IM FORMICID SO -/

Guteuq unless you dont have a source of rElec

IN MEMORY OF MAGGOTS

something happened to my text

depends on how much extra ev the str and dex get you

>snakes are some of the fastest enemies in crawl
>nagas are the slowest race
But why?

So, I've been playing some dynahack and I have no idea what I'm doing. Is it a good idea to drink from fountains? Because usually these demons come out and assrape me

Do you enjoy getting assraped? If yes, then it is a good idea.

smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14723.msg302113#msg302113

Will Coolthulhu save us from Kevin's autism?

Snakes don't have to deal with the whole human torso thing
Don't drink from fountains

Will one robot exploding set off the rest? Because I'm pretty sure it will knock down the fence that currently has them stumped.

>people arguing game balance on the basis of whether aiming a type of gun in real life requires technique similar to or different from aiming another type of gun in real life
I fucking hate these people.

>is it a good idea to do something that summons a hostile monster that is stronger than me
People say NetHack is spoilery but I think the real problem is that the players are retards.

Well, the problem is that you only get the super bad outcomes a small-ish percent of the time. So, it'd be easy to get lucky RNG and come to the incorrect conclusion that something is much safer than it actually is.

Yes, actually.
I think most of the outcomes from fountains are bad

It very well might. If they survive one neighbor's explosion, I doubt they'll make it through a second.

>I think most of the outcomes from fountains are bad
There's like three obviously bad ones, two of which will likely kill you early on.

Drinking is bad. Dipping things can be useful in several situations.

>I think most of the outcomes from fountains are bad

That's true. There's a couple of good outcomes, but they're dwarfed by the bad ones.
Fountains are basically a newbie trap which teaches you caution -- that just because there's a small chance of getting a wish doesn't mean you should go fucking with something that will probably kill you five dozen times before you get that one wish.

Any Anananias or Powder players here? Which game is more streamlined?

The explosions seem weak, actually. It took three to bring down part of the fence, and even then some of the robots were still uninjured.

Even coming back with EMP grenades, it's going to take at least three to kill them all.

>twf new thread and already page 10

Why do you even bother killing them? They cant open doors.

Is there an 'optimal' order in how to progress in dynahack like how crawl is is dungeon -> lair -> orc -> lair branches -> vaults -> Depths -> 3rd rune -> zot

I've just been aimlessly walking around killing gnomes.

control laptop and let them kill each other

Aight, thanks man.

what is dynahack? I think it will be hard to get help here if this game is not very popular

A nethack variant, I've seen it posted a few times here, but those have been few and far between.

nethackwiki.com/wiki/Fountain

In Crawl, people routinely go to great lengths to get an extra pip of MR in order to avoid a 2% chance of getting paralyzed. Here, we're looking at a 6.7% chance of water demon or moccasin.

gl then, I would love to see some variety here instead of /dcssg/

Do you admit starting DCSS today or are more modern designed games better in this age?

Both games are awesome in my opinion. If I had to chose, I would go for Anananias. Not necessarily more streamlined, I just like the stupidness sometimes

The controls in crawl seem alot more intuitive, but then again I've put a ton more hours into it and there aren't as many interactions in dcss as in dynahack.

Also, the movement controls seem to be bugged for me, 7 and 1 don't work so I have to resort the yuhjklbn control scheme, which is going to take some time getting to used to.

I had only played vanilla NetHack, but if the variant is similiar you should keep descending till you find minetown and then check out the shops there. Keep an eye out for a magic lamp and ice boxes with intrinsic granting corpses.

Depends on your character. As a Valk the mines shouldn't be too hard, but watch out for Mindflayers and the Mine's End.
Nigga

If I want NPCs in cataclysm, should I go with static or dynamic NPC's? What's the difference?

Sokoban isn't as necessary since the prize was moved to mine's end.

I'm playing cataclysm dda and have found a big barrel full of single malt whiskey, Is there anything I can use alcohol like this for or can I dump this stuff and use the barrel with my funnels? I'm not particularly in need of water at the moment.

Static ones are generated as part of map features, like bandits or the dude in the shelter with you at the start.
Dynamic will have them pop up from time to time randomly, just anywhere. It makes things more exciting, but if you don't want some random dude rolling up into your base and shooting you for your stuff, you can turn them off.

I had that happen to a martial artist character. Dude came down into my basement and just casually starts rifling through my stuff, and when I go over and try to stop him he pulls a shotgun and BLAM! It's game over.
So naturally I had the next character be the martial artist's last student, who came to avenge his master's death. I put on the heaviest armor I could find lying around on the way there and when I arrived I dodged his shots at max range, then rushed in while he was reloading and stunlocked the dude, killed him in three hits.
It was sweet.

It's highly flammable, and it can get you fucked up real good. I'd keep it, barrels and stuff aren't that hard to make.

Static is special, always generated npcs (most obvious is the one who starts next to you, but also includes the quest guys in the refugee center). Dynamic is random spawns that appear anywhere.

If you want NPCs running around, turn dynamic on. I don't really know why anyone would turn static off unless you think the starter npc makes things too easy or something.

You can drink it for morale or turn it into molotovs or medical supplies via denatured alcohol. If you'd like both the barrel and the whiskey, try finding vehicles with undamaged fuel tanks, siphoning out the little bit of fuel and dumping your whiskey in.

>I don't really know why anyone would turn static off

Well, NPCs used to be buggy, and are still prone to some hilarious behaviors that some people would rather do without.
(But having them to help build stuff is great, and totally worth dealing with NPCs IMO.)

Get fucking wasted bro, you don't find something like that every day

do NOT be italian

kek

Holy fuck why is IA so assrapingly hard?

Add in "don't be a maggot faggot" while you're at it.

Why does bcarden just talk to himself and often repeat the same things over and over? is he a bot?

>cant even get past the third level

who?

>the +2 robe "Sepravem" (worn) {rElec rPois rF+ rC+}

does anyone else get anxiety when they find really good items really early
im gonna die to an ogre or something stupid i just know it

Should I just be wearing these fire dragon scales over plate? it offers near the same with less encumbrance

I suspect he is literally autistic.

Some annoying idea guy on ##crawl-dev

On a Gargoyle, you have a lot of options. Because of Gr's innate AC growth, they can get away with wearing flimsy armor even if it doesn't have much AC. So, FDS will probably always be better than the plate armour (as long as you're OK with rC-, which will probably be fine).

You may want to consider putting points into Dex and raising Dodging, too, to get the most bang for you buck.

if you're wearing heavy armour str will likely always be better than dex for the purposes of EV even at very high str/low dex

I assume if I just stack AC and MR, I should be okay right? Like gargoyles are resistant to ice and stuff already, and they are resistant to torment (and I'm under the shining one so even more so). What should I be scared of right now?

This is an interesting choice, should I buy that and basically become immune to fire?

how is that a really good item
by the time those resistances actually matter you will want something with more ac than a robe unless you are an ogre yourself

Suspect? He has a youtube channel of him whisper-talking to his cat. He also has a shaved head.

Which is better, a +5 arbalest of freezing or a +3 arbalest of velocity?
I forgot about which modifiers are superior

>playing DCSS
>Pretty decent run
>Suddenly Abyss
>Use several blink scrolls, only have 2 teleport scrolls
>Never find an exit
>Die because mob density and power + inability to rest (managed to get 1 full rest off somehow ) > you

Why hasn't this stupid shit been changed yet? Sure love RNG on whether even a good run will randomly become unwinnable because RNG decided you can't find any exist from the abyss.

You can kill things in the Abyss to generate exits. The lower your level, the easier it is to generate exits.

freezing one is better in general.

IIRC, freezing/flaming is 50% max damage increase (10 damage would do 15 damage total if you get the highest roll and the monster isn't at all resistant to freezing/flaming). Velocity/vorpal is 33% max damage increase but doesn't need to check resistances; in fact, because of the formula used, you're always guaranteed to do 1 damage with a vorpal weapon if you land a hit (that is, you'll never get a "You hit but do no damage" message).

Nonetheless, freezing is probably better. And in your case, the enchantment makes a difference, too.

So I found a demon whip of electricution. I heard that you can bless it and make it an amazing weapon. I just need to get back to max (I used a lot of summoning/cleansing flame here in some clutch moments)

Sacred scourge is what you make after blessing a demon whip and it's only good in extended.

If you want to bless it, do it when you're going into pan/hell/tomb/crypt

Sacred scourge is only good against demons. It's not amazing as a regular weapon (although the damage and hit delay are nice). Demon whip of electrocution will be better 90% of the time for a 3rune game.

blessing it will overwrite its brand with holy wrath, which is less versatile and less relevant until you start doing hell/pan

What should I be focusing then? All I have is this morning star of holy wrath right now. i can't use the demon whip with the shining one

ctrl-f for 'eveningstar' or 'morningstar' and look for one with a better brand. Any vorpal/freezing/flaming/elec weapon will do. Holy wrath isn't too useful in 3 runes.

Elf:2 has the hall of blades which could potentially give you a good weapon, but if you want to play it safe I wouldn't do it until after V:4 or depths.

Oh yeah, I forgot you were using TSO.

Have you not found any other branded Maces&Flails weapons?

Just bless the demon whip, it's at least better than what you're using now.

n v m

Avoid the abyss. Abyss is meant to be a place of total chaos.

why tho

>on right swirl
Nice job finding the scummiest ring in the game.

Died immediately after polymorphing into a worm, what would that ring turn out to be?

freezing/flaming add a random amount between 0% and 50% of the total damage (AFTER bonuses from str, slaying, etc), as resistable cold/fire damage

vorpal adds a random amount between 0% and 33% as unresistable damage

...a ring of polymorph?

unless you're playing some kind of meme race in slex that has polymorphitis intrinsically

oh shit that's why it was happening? I thought it was because I drank from a fountain.

Rings in NetHack are srs bsness don't put them on, even uncursed

Can I brand my holy scourge without it turning back into a whip or something? It'd be cool if I could get something more effective over all on it

NEW CRAWL ALL-TIME HIGHSCORE BY CHARLY

I think 17k, 15-runes is literally unbeatable now considering the previous world record is purplered's 19k run.

i think a scroll of brand weapon will work, but you run the risk of getting something bad like distortion or pain/vamp

I tried and apparently you cant brand it, rip.

that is fucking gnarly
holy shit

I think I'm ready to go get the orb! This is exciting!

activate your windows or else you die

it was activated for a year and suddenly it stopped, i genuinely dont know what happened

Gargoyles do extremely well in light and medium armor. Wear something like acid DS or a ring mail. Going for a plate on a gargoyle is quite often an overkill since they get so much free AC and GDR, unless you're going for extended. Otherwise get something lighter which would allow you to get EV to a respectable level.

Please stop posting this disinfo, putting gargs in heavy armour is fine and good if you aren't casting spells.

That's only if he's casting spells, if he has 0 spells the lighter armour will do nothing for him.

WOOHOO!! RUKS!!

>0.17
>Evoke Teleportation: 263
If anyone wonders how can you do it without some ungodly luck for layouts and stairs.

Abyss is stupid bec. ur stupid LOL

>0.17
Wow it's fucking nothing

>0.17

new tee-ball world champ