Check your helmet's safety rating here:
crash.org.au/

Nobike? Start here:

Webms with sound:
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

royalenfield.com/uk/motorcycles/classic-battle-green
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Question: when I stop to get to a light, is there any harm in holding in the clutch for extended distances to bleed off speed slowly, while pounding down gears back into first and just using the brake pedal until I come to a stop?
Also, I see people on YouTube even with my bike (nighthawk 250) switching gears quickly and letting go of the clutch quickly. When I do this I get slapped around a bit. What am I doing wrong?

More throttle when clutch is coming out makes it smoother

Practice blipping that throttle

What year Nighthawk do you have btw?

what does dbt think about the new harley fat bob?

Looks like a Honda

>Let's put a solid deck of frame over the engine
>lol what could possibly go wrong with building the engine into a fucking cave?

thats really cool you can go that far with fixing your bike. whats wrong with it?

Oh wow I had no idea they even made them that recently, how do you like the 250?

I just bought a 1982 450 Nighthawk a couple weeks ago...now I just need a licence, re-cover the seat and some better gear

It's the last model year I believe, and it's got the same engine as the rebel with less weight and more standardized riding.

It vibrates like crazy in higher rev ranges, so freeway driving is in vibration mode. If you have a wallet/phone in your pockets put them in your pack or jacket and zip it shut. Otherwise, it's about 150lbs lighter than a 750, easy to throw around a little, and enjoyable to commute on. It's also fun to rev a bit, but I try to keep the RPMs low since it vibrates so aggressively. 4 gal tank + 70 mpg isn't bad either.

what bike suits a muscleman

Just doing a valve clearance adjustment. I got one intake that's .002mm out of spec, and two exhausts that are too tight for comfort so i'm replacing those as well.

It's cap and shim style, so i'm going to have to order a new set. My set is 7.(something)mm, i need 9.48mm

Previous owner with maintenance i trust about as much as i can throw him. So i'm just going over everything. Last week was tires, this week is straightening all the radiator fins, fresh coolant, and valves. Next week is brakes, brake fluid flush. and a throttlebody sync.

Come spring, i might roll the dice with a new set of chinese fairings and maybe a brake seal kit if i'm so inclined.

Harley because you are most likely a fag

How much does it weigh overall then? It sounds like your tossed around a bit from wind on the freeway if your not careful

Specs says 315 wet and ~290lbs dry. So I'd just call it 300lbs.

>Harley
Shit

>why don't you own a gsxr /dbt/?

im a bit slow in the head

because they're fucking hideous...no offence

If it's not upright then I won't ride it.

>Bad and naughty bikes are sent to the cat puke dimension

It's fine bud
Have you tried riding one? I ride mine on 6 hour trips and find it comfortable

It's not a yamaha

i see, you seem to got your shit togeather. do you ever notice oil smerge from the left hand side cowl after the front wheel? if so what could it be?

CB500x, NC700x, SV650, etc. look more appealing to me. Even the GSXF looks more appealing, but it's more than I'd constitute spending on a motorcycle.

Where I live these are dirt cheap new. Gsxr750 is $5,000 less than a new cbr600rr was. $6,000 less than a mt10

whoever took the valve cover off last diddn't use any RTV on the gasket, so it weeps oil all over the engine and collects road grime.

i use to. great bike.

GSXS*

And yes, but it also depends on the rider and what they want out of their bike. Some people want a comfortable semi-long distance commute bike, others just want something to zipping around town and having a little fun on the weekends. They're cheap, but still out of what I consider acceptable spending on a bike, unless I buy it used (which I would).

Where are you from and how much is the price of a new 750?

Live in Nevada, 7 grand for a standard model, 8 grand for a Z. New, mind you.

What bike are you talking about? What gsxr750 has a z model?

If I had to get a cruiser, I'd rather get a Scout

What bike are you talking about? What gsxr750 has a z model?

>when I stop to get to a light, is there any harm in holding in the clutch for extended distances to bleed off speed slowly, while pounding down gears back into first and just using the brake pedal until I come to a stop?
Still looking for an answer :(

Gsxs, a model of standard bike I prefer over the gsxr.

No there’s no harm. If anything there’s slightly more wear on your clutch plates but they’re wear items so who cares.

I do the same thing when coming to a stop on my r1 as letting the clutch out while going slow in first is a fucking nightmare.

Speaking from manual cars, i dont think there is anything wrong with clutching, however the car instructor i had, recommended downshifting and let the engine brake some too. Idk if same applies to bikes

>the hardware on it
>the weight

i don't get why jap nakeds and 'standards' have to be so much worse than sportbikes. detuning the engine is fine but why does the rest of the bike have to be garbage compared to the sports model?

it's not like selling a bike with fewer trackdaybro pretentions stops people from buying the sportbike. see: RSV4/tuono.

objectively best way is to switch gears and let the clutch go very slowly until you're just slow enough to switch into the next lower gear without revving your bike to the moon, no throttle and no front or back brake needed at any point, just use the motor brake to slow down - only really works when you know that you have to stop in advance
anyone telling you it's harmful for any part of your motorcycle is a moron or is still living in the 1930s

now if you have to slow down faster you can combine that with a bit of constant back brake while you do above

and if you have to stop really fast you can either use both brakes and hammer in first or neutral, if you go for first you have to hold the clutch, not so in neutral obviously, holding the clutch for any extended period of time isn't doing any harm to anything
but using the motor brake instead may be cheaper in the long run

not sure why I wrote you a book but you sounded like you needed basic advice

This sort of applied when nobody had a slipper clutch and a really bad rev matched downshift over a slippery patch at a nearly unnoticeable lean angle could possibly cause a highside, even even then getting gud was preferable to raping your clutch every downshift.

do you actually get off the bike and push it around corners or what am I looking at here?

pavement dust? my driveway does the same thing.

I'll let that slide this time and this time only, mister

Front strips don't matter dude

You're not going to get rid of them without trail braking and coming into corners twice as fast as you're going through them

Using back break kek

xd amirite

>not having combined brakes

hahah

>can't burnout
toppest cuck

You actually can

t. had one of those

front tire against a wall?

Big stick lodged in front wheel?

Why do motorcyclists keep waving to me even though I'm in a car?

Am I a moron for wanting a new SV650? in particular the white with blue rims

these 2017 model ones are fucken nice

I think the combined brake thing only gives you 30% rear to 90% front, so you could get the tyre to slip if you were giving it some.

>rides a goldwing
>thinks he's in a car

So why is there hardly a market for electric bikes?

range is a big problem. And to make a e bike with the same performance as conventional bikes you need a massive battery that would not fit in the frame.

e bikes exist but usually on go up to 25mph and take a long time to get there.

Here in Africa all they sell is zero bikes, which only come in dirt bike type styles

t. Has no idea what he is talking about
The fastest bikes in the world are electric

You're kidding right? Electric bikes have better torque than any gas bike there is

>Zero bikes
>Only dirtbikes
Mmmh....

ride snug & smug, /dbt/

>Scout
If I got a scout I'd rather get an FTR1200

bump

>I dont know what i'm talking about but that won't stop me, the post

>killer aesthetics
>retarded flat lump behind the pillion seat

behind rider seat*

how is that relevant to my question? was asking if there is something (not overpriced(in yuropistan)) equivalent to a 90s cbr250rr or generally something more interesting and a e s t h e t i c. I am just jelly of poos and south east asians since they get all these great small bikes. Last time I looked all these 90s bikes here were being sold like collectors items lmao and definitely overpriced.

Tbh, they also like shit

Have you considered a poo-in-loo bike?

royalenfield.com/uk/motorcycles/classic-battle-green

I am obviously asking about 90s jap sportsbikes

It's....i think it's trying to communicate, guys.

>"cheap beginner bike that has killer a e s t h e t i c s"
>"I am obviously asking about 90s jap sportsbikes"
Japan isn't in South East Asia.

no, it isn't and again: how is this relevant?

Exactly, how is South East Asia relevant?

Is there anything wrong with these bikes? I was considering buying pic related as my first bike for $3000

my reading comprehension is lacking, I thought you said japan is part of sea...
well yeah no shit japan isn't southeast asian, they ride jap bikes tho, there are actually dozens of small bikes released there that we don't get elsewhere

it isn't, I was just saying that I am jelly of their market
I just want to know if there is a fun good looking 90s jap sportsbike that doesn't go for meme prices. The usual recommendation for beginner bikes is a sv650, but I am wondering if there is something else worth checking out.

I don't think there's much wrong with them. Look around for an owners club page or two and see what they think.

Since they are 500cc they aren't exactly performance bikes. You might get 85mph out of them on the highway and I think it might be a bit bumpy.

But they have more character than generic sports bikes. They are quite cheap in the UK compared to other bikes, and they are half the price if you go to India and bring one back. But you have to check that they meet the legal road requirements else they might not be insurable (at least in the UK).

Well like I said, it'll be a first bike and I don't need much power or performance. It'll mostly be back-road stuff, learning to ride, and just easy cruising.

The only thing I really care about is low price, reliability, and ease of riding.

WHEEL WHEEL
WHEEL WHEEL

Don't fucking get an Indian made British bike if you want reliability
And don't get a poser bike if you want to go dirt riding
Get a cheapo dualsport

Aren't there any cheaper bikes you can ride if you're just doing back road learning?

But there's nothing wrong with looking good while learning, those bikes look great imo. Personally I'm not a fan of the curved up cafe racer seat.

wr 521

*unnecessarily makes ur bike heavier*
nothing personnel, kid

I'm mentally challenged, will I still be able to replace my clutch lever?

It's literally 1 bolt

yes
i believe in you. even if no one else does, user.

>500cc
>85mph
What. My 125cc Aprilla RS has done 87mph.

For the purpose of cheap, reliable bikes, yeah there are used yamahas, kawasakis, and hondas (the 250 whatevers) that are 2000-2500. I have no doubt those would last me forever even with abuse. But I just like the cafe racer look.

Ideally I'd like a cheaper Thruxton or Bonneville. Those are again british but seem to have decent reliability. There just aren't any used triumphs in my area and I really don't want to pay $10000 to learn on.

>newer bike has better performance than old bike
wtf right?

Your modern sports bike performs better?

Royal Enfield Classic 500 Specification:
Type Single Cylinder, 4 stroke, Spark ignition, Aircooled, Fuel injection
Displacement 499cc
Bore x stroke 84mm x 90mm
Compression Ratio 8.5 : 1
Maximum Power 27.2 bhp @ 5250 rpm
Maximum Torque 41.3 Nm @ 4000 rpm