This kills the union

>this kills the union

No supertrucker would ever get within a mile of whatever the fuck this is. It dosn't even have twin stacks

>500 miles range
>400 miles of charge in half an hour
>80,000lb gross 0-60 in 8 seconds
>million mile warranty

I'd say it's going to fucking leave the existing truck industry shook

I too believe in fairy tails.

Its so fucking ugly

So the batteries also double an an onboard cooking plate?

I think I trust a team of battery engineers more than personal experiences with crappy phones overheating, mmkay

the thermal management will be fine. dumb to think otherwise

0.02 cents have been deposited to your account

But how much is it?

5 years ago, hobby-class batteries for R/C cars, the absolute top of the line ones, did not at all like a 2C charge rate. They got hot, fast. Unless there's some sort of cooling system, I don't expect longevity out of this.

quarter million I think

lipo vs lithium, chemistry is different, it has cooling lines running through it, lots of differences.

also, that's sorta apples to oranges no offense

tesla batteries are liquid-cooled

Jeez, a lot cheaper than I was expecting. Just gotta hope Tesla can keep a foothold in profit and QC

>Electric cars catch on
>We run out of rare earth minerals

They aren't planning to make profit until everybody else's money dries up and they have to start paying their own bills.

ASTEROID MINING TIME
WE DEAD SPACE SOON

>can never asteroid mine because instead of funding space programs we fund free college for flunkies and foodstamps for basketball enthusiasts

Clearly we must form the Pax Economica and enforce it with machines that emit toxic pixie dust.

>gonna write Puerto Rico a $95B check to rebuild their spic island
>could go to Mars with that money

>Funding tacoshits instead of potential snekpussy

>muh commercial transport vehicles have to be perty!

>MUH FORM OVER FUNCTION!!!!!!!

AlNiCo motors when?

I'd rather use my shitbox ute desu

What's the 0-60?

5 sec unloaded, 20 sec with 80klb load

Imagine being this retarded. Oh wait. I don't have to imagine because you exist.

mad

google "MV AMPERE"

It takes half an hour to refuel a big truck anyways

They can be recycled. When the maximum number of evs is reached the consumption will plummet.

>500 mile range
>delivery vehicle

Well, it'll sell in europe.

>worrying about middle eastern refugees who are literally surrounded by oil rich countries who already mostly share a religion and culture, but want to come here instead, i mean they are within walking distance of safety and the old status quo but we have more welfare.
>people who are largely compatible with our way of life are in desperate need with nowhere to go because they're on a fucking island
>we're telling/paying them to stay on that island because, not being muslim, they don't have enough privilege points to become welfare leeches here

Humanitarians are fucked up.

It wont haul anything but styrofoam and paper boxes anyways.

>500 miles range
in their ideal test scenario

for how long

there goes 20% of the charge

>million mile warranty
doesnt change the fact only one place in the entire country can work on them. fleet operators will love this...

>500 miles of range
>Between 1/2 and 1/3 the range of a current truck
>Leave the truck industry shook
Okay.

Telsa gets hella subsidized; if they lose their welfare they won't be able to stay in business.

The li in Lipo stands for lithium mate.
Also liquid cooled RC batteries exist but they're obviously not as high-end.

I don't think musk ever intended to stay in business

He just wanted to make EVs fashionable enough for everyone else to make them

what even are fuel costs

>lipo vs lithium
??????
You know LiPo is short for Lithium-Phosphate, right?

Maybe you're referring to LiCoO2 vs LiFePo4, Lithium-Iron batteries offer lower energy density but higher safety.

>*downhill and in a vacuum
>*but only one truck per city or else the lights go out
>*don't try it or your range drops to 4 miles
>*good luck getting there with full range of 50 miles at 900k miles

>You know LiPo is short for Lithium-Phosphate, right?
>Po
>Phos
it's for polymer you monogloid.

Google says Po is a metal. Polonium. Sounds kind of cheesy though

>Polonium batteries
XA XA tovarich, polonium give you the best radiation.

I love the idea that I won't need to wait million years for truck to accelerate. I'm hoping it won't be shit.

No it doesn't. It takes ten minutes. Fifteen at the most if you have to fuel truck, def, and reefer. And that gets you 1,200 to 2,000 miles range instead of 500

>there goes 20% of the charge

You have an extremely poor understanding of electric motors. They don't need to 'rev up', the torque and power delivery is instantaneous. You don't lose any range by gunning it.

>You have an extremely poor understanding of electric motors. They don't need to 'rev up', the torque and power delivery is instantaneous. You don't lose any range by gunning it.

Losses are proportional to I2R, thus flooring it will always be less efficient than slow acceleration (unless inventor / motor controller is very inefficient at low load).

Okay, yes there would be some minor heat loss from the wires with the increased power delivery.

It is nothing compared to what you are losing in a diesel engine when you floor it.

Prove it, butthurttruckerfags

Mexican truck drivers courtesy of NAFTA pretty much did that 20 years ago.

>500 miles range
Doesn't factor in the fact that each time rechargable batteries are charged, they hold slightly less capacity which adds up over time to eventually a battery that won't hold a charge at all.

And that affects its range. 500 miles may be the range of a new battery but not one that has a few thousand miles on it.

>t. isnt a battery expert

fuck it's like everyone turns into PhD holding super smart geniuses who totally know better than teams of engineers that are actually designing it

First, no, current trucks look ugly. They are brick boxes holding giant engines sitting in front of brick sheds holding giant asses. This is the future. More aerodynamic, lighter, center driving position to be more safe, etc.

I'd be willing to bet they have tested this to some degree. Also, solid state batteries are coming, which are a about 20-30% better than our current lithium tech. Supposedly much safer, too. IE, easier to manage.

We literally have the technology to merge molecules to create 99.9% pure anything. It just takes massive amounts of electricity. Which is the real problem, getting the energy. Solar and wind will only do so much.

I would like to know where this free college is. Mine was very expensive and nowhere near as valuable as I was lied to.

I agree, the one time I looked at Elon like, "WTF M8?!"

First off, they already said this vehicle is for inner city transporting. The vehicles that go from city to city would be on a specific recharge route and schedule. Like anything new, there will be hurtles to jump over and new infrastructure to layout. The thing about electricity is that it is FAR more readily available and malleable to ones' needs. So naturally, long-distance travel is going to be on their long-term plan for the industry. Just need to be patient as tech is developed and money is tossed around.

>doesn't know how to greentext

There is more than one use for any hauling vehicle, dumbass. See my comment above.

I think that was his game plan in the beginning, but now he actually seems to be putting effort into it.

What are you even on about?

>union
what union? how out of touch with fucking reality are you?

Teams of engineers built the Challenger shuttle. Teams of engineers built Chernobyl
Teams of engineers built the Ford Pinto.
Teams of engineers built your dad's condims.

Teams of engineers dont always build good shit.

i think some places like the major sea-shipping ports in California may have Unionized intermodal drivers?
but its probably a very small percentage of drivers compared to the rest of drivers across the US

oh wow you totally got me there with your logic oh no

>some engineers make mistakes
>that mean I, a fucking retarded human being, knows better than teams of specialized battery engineers

When you are dumping 100s of Kw into the drive train any losses are not minor.
Do you think a combustion engine spins up like a turbine when you want to accelerate? You only are adding more fuel in while you are actually accelerating. Also its actual thermodynamic efficiency goes up when you apply 100% throttle.

>Doesn't factor in the fact that each time rechargable batteries are charged, they hold slightly less capacity which adds up over time to eventually a battery that won't hold a charge at all.
This depends entirely on battery chemistry, capacity, and cycle depth. The Li-ion in your cell phone that gets hammered to within an inch of its life playing Angry Birds all day then charged up to 100 every 6 hours or so will suffer greater capacity loss than an EV battery where the car's computer can be programmed to avoid discharging a battery past a certain voltage and avoid charging it up to 100% repeatedly. Manufacturers of business-class laptops often include software that does this -- keeps your battery hovering around 80% charge which massively extends the life of the cells.
Absolute retards who leave laptops plugged in constantly and compulsively charge their cell phones are the reason current battery technology is so maligned. It works beautifully, but only when the user actively cares about it.

Holy shit, how are you this retarded? How do you function?

>doesn't counter any of his claims

shoo shoo icecuck

The maintenance costs would be similar to a traditional ICE freightliner. There is much more potential for things to break on a traditional truck due than there is on a simple electric motor truck. I imagine the costs to replace the battery would be similar to replacing the transmission and engine block, which companies do instead of writing the truck off because they are expensive rigs. So what exactly is wrong with replacing the battery every 200k - 400k?

>500 miles
not enough cuz the regular truck does 1000+ miles

>80% of trucking trips are under 250 miles
>this lets you do most trips without having to charge at all

I feel like a broken record having to keep saying this but damn people should actually read an article or two before spouting what they think are legit criticisms

> Not knowing that truckers take a break every 300-400 miles

can i get one for myself

What does this thing weigh in comparison to a diesel truck? How much is it cutting into the weight limit?

should be about 35% heavier, if you do the math with replacing the drivetrain + engine + guts with 500mile's worth of batteries and some motors. This is partially offset by the better cd.

Either way, it isnt that bad of a weight increase. That low CG tho.... mmmmmmm

not gonna happen OP. the oil industry has sabotage money. serious sabotage money. they will literally shoot a tomahawk missile at elon musks dick before something like this will be able to exist on mass.

I was focusing more on how a significant weight increase could mean that companies wouldn't be able to ship as much in one truck due to the 80,000 lb legal limit.

how many loads are pushing that limit though? iirc most are under that by a bit.

Then poor infrastructure cuz these tesla fuckin pigfat trucks destroy the asphalt. Heavy taxes on them.

Most trucks are shipping packing peanuts.

Are you fronting about the neets sucking up all the free tax money.

You need to realize, most of these people are either truckers who don't want to learn new things (for example, the change of an industry requiring you to learn a new thing to stay ahead of the industry), or they are mechanics who don't want to learn new things because they are in their late 50's and 60's and probably just want to retire, but can't, because mechanic wages.

These two groups are going to fight hard to keep things the way they are and prevent progress. Couple that with the rich cats on capital hill who are profiting from our arguing, and you will see very slow progress and a whole lot of tantrums thrown by grown men and women.

Wow, that was super insiteful. And your points and sources have great value in the fact-based world.

You must be fun at parties.

You do realize you are listing 1 example out of hundreds in each case, right?

Are you claiming people aren't allowed mistakes? Businesses aren't allowed to experiment? Industries aren't allowed to BEGIN a change so that an eventual plan can be FINALIZED?

Jesus, Veeky Forums has some stupid.

Veeky Forums in general has some rather obtuse people who don't understand how technological progress works. I would like to think they are younger people but the truth is that the older generations have some rather fucked up expectations.

It was clearly explained to be an inner city truck with short city-to-city potential.

It is also the beginning. Everything grows from here. Bitching about progress is about as stupid as bitching about why we don't still use magnetic tape and vacuum tubes for computational needs.

have you ever met truck drivers? you couldn't organize twenty of them to a night out, let alone unionize them, plus there are so many people out there with a CDL that any attempt to organize would be shattered by the supply of other workers to do the job.

okay i could be wrong. i just thought i heard the drivers that haul the containers from the port to a nearby trans-hub were part of some union that had to do with port operations

I need to see a source on those numbers. I don't believe a battery pack would weigh as much as a mac truck's engine/tranny. I mean the battery packs that come out of a prius are about 115 pounds, vs a 4 cyl, which is about 550 pounds dry. I know a prius battery pack doesn't hold a candle to the potential of this truck, I'm just saying that example alone makes me feel your estimations are off.

The oil company has money in solar and electrical. Did you not know this? Also, oil is still a necessary part of existence. We just won't need as much of it.

/agree

Progress is getting more with less, not the other way around.
It may be progress in battery, maybe progress in EVs, but not progress in transportation.
So it should not be hailed as revolutionizing an industry before we get actual, real life results and data from these Musk ventures to weight in whether they are a success or not.

Everything starts somewhere. That is literally the beginning of progress.
Who knows if Musk is going to keep this up for much longer. Either way you look at it, he has already proven the potential and capabilities of the technology, even though it isn't even working right yet. People who deny this are just lying to themselves or are working for competing companies.

What exactly did he prove?
GM EV-1 came 10 years before Tesla and was the same basic idea.
He is just another Steve Jobs who knows how to market and that is all.
He was just the first to follow up on the next logical step from Prius and the hybrids.
Did the first roadster ever compete? I am sure others have raced and had success with EVs irregardless of Tesla

A lot of people surprisingly Don't know that we use oil for things that don't burn it or use it for lubrication. Everyday goods like rubber, plastic, tarmac, glass are made with oil. I'd argue that we are as dependent on oil for a fuel source as we are dependent on oil as an ingredient in the making of plastic

>We should never try anything because it's not immediately revolutionary

>I know a prius battery pack doesn't hold a candle to the potential of this truck
>I'm just saying that example alone makes me feel your estimations are off
And I feel like you're a fucking idiot, how about that?

No competing EV has a range that supports long distance travel

When it's using our tax money for somebody else's profits, no, we shouldn't. If the government wants to fund R&D, they can fund some R&D themselves. If a private company wants to do it, they can do it with their own damn money not ours. These electric car credits are theft.

EV's would have never happened without fininancial incentive. The oil world is too comfy for change. Also the federal government loans money out to lots of companies, not just Tesla. Tesla still has to pay it off, which they have done in the past.

Are you retarded or something?
Where did I say that we should not try?
I said that it should not be referred to progress of transportation until actually progresses transportation
So he proved to people that Electric cars can have bigger range?
I am not knocking Tesla for accomplishing things for batteries and EVs but the fact that people seem to claim that without Tesla no one else knew that cars could run on electricity, which is simply false.

see
He proved a lot. And to be quite honest, I don't really feel like spelling it out for you. But I'll give it a small try.

He proved electricity is a viable means for the future when everyone said we will always be using IC till we hit the stars.
He proved batteries ARE the way of the future and that the technology isn't developed nearly enough. This being said, it proves that with primitive technology, we are already doing better than IC.
He proved the auto industry has a strong hold on progress as he was denied many things along his path to "success." (putting that in quotes because he still isn't quite there yet with his sales figures, lol) This is one of those conspiracy theories proved true, stories.
He proved you can run a company piss-poorly, and people will still want to see a better brighter future succeed, and therefor still get support for it. This means if someone were to start a company up right now, learning from Elon's mistakes, and actually make a profit, they would likely be incredibly successful. Why do you think Toyota, Mazda, BMW, Audi, etc. are all letting Elon make the expensive first step? It is saving them money while Elon figures everything out. This in itself proves Elon's potential as being a game changer, even if his company fails.

Gonna stop there. I also want to point out I am only referring to his cars. Not any of his other endeavors.

Also, the GM-EV1 was a test. And when it proved successful, they scrapped the idea because of big industry and there money demands. Basically, they weren't done ringing out the public for every dollar and they wanted to hold out until the very end.

No u. How about that?

>not knowing how taxes work and how everyone is paying for everything every paycheck

>I said that it should not be referred to progress of transportation until actually progresses transportation
Again, progress has to start somewhere. Why am I repeating myself????

Not the guy you were responding to.

>EV's would have never happened without fininancial incentive.
If they needed to steal our money to make it happen then it shouldn't have happened at all. Why are you okay with this? How about I make up some dumbass technology that isn't commercially viable and then the governement pays off people $7,000 apiece to buy my shit products? Would you be okay with that?

The point is that Tesla is trying to prove that electric vehicles can be the alternative to ICE cars. Right now they're more a toy for rich people and "environmentally conscious" people. The low range and high price in 99% of all EVs makes them horrible commuters and Elon is trying to change that.