Making games isn't fun

> Play Demo Day 15
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Play Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Helpful links
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: (Cross-thread)
Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/525380/Demon_Peak/
youtube.com/watch?v=D6AD_ubglqo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow great job OP
Kill yourself

Come the fuck on you had all the time in the world.

Anyways, actual last thread:

3rd for gogem OP or riot

Why aren't you using the tools finished AGDG games used?

Risk of Rain: Game Maker
Deadbolt: Game Maker
Cash_Out: Game Maker
Cavern Kings: Game Maker
Spaceman Sparkles: Game Maker
Uncanny Valley: Game Maker
Pixel Star: Game Maker
VA-11 HALL-A: GameMaker
Way of the Red: Game Maker: Studio
Monolith: Game Maker: Studio

Skyrogue: Unity
Catmouth Island: Unity
Megabyte Punch: Unity
Xenoraptor: Unity
Stormworm+: Unity
Social Interaction Trainer: Unity

Vagante: C++
Lethal League: C++

Painter's Guild: Flash
Restricted-RPS(Client): Flash

Aviary Attorney: Construct 2
Dreaming Sarah: Construct 2

Vampire of the Sands: Java
Restricted-RPS (Server): Java

Aerannis: LÖVE

Tier 1: C#

Walkerman: Ren'Py

But I am

What do you think about this game?

store.steampowered.com/app/525380/Demon_Peak/

nice viral marketing
on-trend, well executed pixel art
is it supposed to be a darksouls?

Just saw it on Steam popular releases, and it looks pretty indie and like projects here, so wondering what the thoughts of people here are.

:^)

Oh their old game's style is pretty good, gonna reference it for my game. Thanks viral marketer!

Got this little lava room done, opinions?

Should you make your game with the intent of selling it, or should you make it for yourself and worry about selling it later?

Why not both?

Because I want to make a game based off SCP, and I'm not sure how selling it would work, as licensing for such a product would be... iffy, just based on my current knowledge of copyright laws.

Oh look yet another pixel art platformer. So exciting! Instant buy!!!1

the platform clips and it could be solved trivially.
have you tried a slightly more dark and blue color for the walls, for contrast with the lava? obsidian maybe
level design: what's to stop me from standing on one platform to cross the whole way?

if you're actually trying to make a living off this you'd better plan your market and your game from the beginning, even going as far as changing the game to be have more memetic potential. don't be a bad businessman just because you love games.

if this is a hobby just make it fun for yourself and sell it if you want to. you can always transition to fulltime later. just don't expect to make your game for yourself and have it automatically find an audience.

>level design: what's to stop me from standing on one platform to cross the whole way?

Because the platforms are moving against the direction you need to be going. If you just stood on the moving platform it would take you back to the entrance spot.

I'll try the color change and see how it looks tho

Given that I want to make a game based on the SCP foundation I feel the idea already has a market ready and waiting. My problem is I don't know if I should make it non-profit or figure out licensing for all the disparate SCPs

>Play a game
>Get ideas to make mine better instantly

Being a thief feels amazing man

Go away yanderedev

Nice viral marketing faggot.

Also the run animation isn't in sync with the floor/movespeed which looks real goddamn awkward.

How is posting a random game you saw on steam viral marketing?

>Also the run animation isn't in sync
Cheers, I'll fix that

From their site: "2. Add the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license (or CC-BY-SA for short) to the derived work. Doing this will release it under the CC-BY-SA license.

Releasing it under the CC-BY-SA license means that people will be able to copy your work wholesale, and even sell it, provided that they properly attribute you and release their work under the same license."

Do you need to use the SCP brand? You can tell similar stories without directly using their IP. I don't know if the marketing would be as strong. If it's all the same to you, making it nonprofit is probably safer. But there is a massive niche waiting to be exploited if you can figure out how to sell it and market it.

>random game
>i'll fix that
hue nice meta

>Catmouth Island:
I'm still angry at the untapped potential of his game.

you can't tell the difference because unity fullscreen is borderless and the desktop is always vsynced

just leave it off

c++ and what library?

Was there really potential, other than cutesy art? I thought it wasn't much more than a walking simulator.

There's no libraries anywhere there but I guess that'd be interesting info. If you mention which game, I could probably dig it out for you.

there's only two c++ games on the list

So basically if I want to sell an SCP game the license means someone will be able to copy everything in it and sell it somewhere else as long as they give credit.
Wew lad, why did they do that?

And I'm not going to hunt them both out for a lazy dude!

I guess the other question is whether CC share alike is compatible with steam's license.

Because that's what YOU'RE doing when you make money of the SCP IP. The license is a viral one to make sure that content that starts free stays free.

c++ isn't a tool, so it's pointless to list it without also listing the library.

to prevent you from cashing in on their ideas you little shit

>picking out C but not C#, and java
Really makes you think.

That makes sense, I suppose.

Or they could have used a different license so specific authors for the SCPs used got royalties off the game, which is what I was expecting.

both of those have extensive standard libraries

Ok fair point. They're still pretty weak without a library of some sort (XNA, LibGDX) for gamedev stuff.

Making sane programmer's choice makes you think what?

You missed the context, it seems. Also probably missed that it's "picking out" and not "picking".

>4:42 am
F U C K

Vagante is SFML

Ah, true, sorry. English is still confusing for me sometimes.

Ew, communist scum

youtube.com/watch?v=D6AD_ubglqo
Are they about to make it?

To elaborate: why didn't they use a license that would allow the people who put in time and effort to write SCPs and create games based on them be paid for their work?

Just pirated it - too many design flaws. The enemies just stand there and you can just run past them. If you do fight them, there's no pattern for them, all you do is hit, backtrack, repeat. None of them feel more special than the rest. Got sick of it within 10min (from launching the game).

On the other hand, graphics and music are ok and movement feels solid.

probably because they wanted a standard license for the site. they had licensing problems with scp-173 and a few others, imagine if you had to track down every author when you wanted to make a game.

and don't forget that authors are benefitting from the scp brand too. there' nothing stopping them from writing their scp on their own site under their own license.

if that Doom modder is still here, what source port are you using? and what editing tools are you using?

GZdoom and Zandronum 3.0, and I use SLADE for code work, GIMP and Aseprite for sprites, and Audacity for audio stuff.

would tycoon game(business sim) be a good first project?
i'm not talking transport tycoon scope here, much smaller. lemonade stand, kiosk tycoon or some shit.

bruh do you have a steam or something? I'd love to ask you about working with GZDoom and stuff if possible.

Sounds like less work than actually making a game, but still a lot of effort, so fair enough I guess.
Probably more important to have a game in the first place, so I'll get started on that.

if you've already made your pong and a couple other very short games, sure

I usually keep to myself on Steam, but if you need some doom modding pointers, you could take a peek into the /vr/ doom thread. Realm667 and the Doom wiki are your friends too.

alright, thanks, I've been having trouble finding basic guides to modding and the engine as opposed to tutorials to do specific things, is all, when I asked in the /vr/ thread I got ignored, lol

What were you trying to pull off?

It was a walking simulator because the dev was lazy as fuck and only fishing for (You) with his cutesy art.

I get mad at artists who have potential to make good game with their arts but do nothing interesting.

>artists who have potential to make good game with their arts but do nothing interesting.
literally me ;_;

Total conversion, so I kinda need to know everything lol, I've decided on GZDoom and I know to use GZDoom Builder and SLADE but that's about it.

You got a long road ahead of you, my friend. Just like gamedev: Start small, make a custom weapon, a custom monster, then a complete weaponset, a full monster roster, then try out massive gameplay changes, then go from there.

Make a gun or a custom monster, and then share it with the thread there. you can do this dude.

I am going to transition into a woman. Where do i start?

dude just be interesting lmao

is there any reason not to just start with changing game mechanics, and then working from there? I mean then anything I add will probably actually make it to the final game

You start by seeking psychological help.

If you first making your first video game, would you try making world of warcraft or some crazy bullshit like that? Start small, learn.

>he doesn't seize the means of software production
sasuga

You can make an interesting game with shitty art. Minecraft is the perfect example of it.

>he likes to seize nothing and die of starvation

>It's been almost 4 years and I haven't made a game

Those pesky skeletons finally learned to wear armour

>60 FPS
The fuck? Isn't it supposed to be 30 FPS with game maker?

are you meme?

Looking good.

>that retard that keeps repeating the same joke over and over because people laughed the first time

We CS now

You don't say.

The camera going up that far is kinda disorienting and I seems like it'd make it hard to gauge jumps; maybe make it go up a little but not follow the character the whole way up.

Can you show any actual game footage or is it all NDA/inaccessible to you? I've always been curious about the rest of the game.

That knife and a lot of the animations I post are for two mobile games called "Bullet Force" and "Forward Assault." Plenty of videos of those, but it's a mobile game so you're not gonna see anything too great.

The other games I work on (Our Ghosts of War and Hell Let Loose) haven't showed game footage yet so neither can I.

Any others are for Ironbelly, who sell assets and don't make full games. If I'm contracted by them for a specific game then I can't show those animations at all, unless the project they're for shows them.

>open world ww2 survival fps

suddenly ww2 is acceptable again and now everyone and their grandma is jumping on the bandwagon to run it into the ground a second time

>Bolt Action rifles in ww2

lmao

Just checked them out. Those games have an insane amount of downloads. Do you know anything about the marketing strategies used?

The war was mostly fought with bolt action rifles until the US joined.

Pretty much, from what it seems like both teams I'm with have just been fucked by timing; they both have been being worked on for a couple years and now when they're ready to start showing content there's a gorillian WW2 games coming.

Not sure what you're insinuating, but opposed to what most think, bolts were used more often than semi and full auto guns because there were shortages of them during the beginning of the war. Bolts were used plenty by all sides during WW2.

Honestly have no idea. When I first joined him (they're both only run by a kid that when they were started he was 17, he's 18 now) I didn't think it'd be nearly as popular as they are. Only thing I know he does is support YouTube personalities, I don't know of any other marketing he's done.

>required 20m dollars to play in Overwatch league
>you have to pay 10m dollars for League of Legend regional league
I think i am going to dev e-sport meme game.

>get banned for shitposting
>make progress
wew lad

>shitposting is progress

>the means of software production
A desktop computer?

>working in UE4
>make blueprint inheriting from AnimNotify
>add it to the animation
>go into animation blueprint
>it's not showing up anywhere

I've wasted 4 hours by now trying to get this fucker to show up. I tried restarting and even re-compiling (even though it's just BP stuff) several times, but it just won't show up. I googled the issue, and people said to just restart the editor (which I did), or try to make another one and restart, which I also did.

What the fuck am I doing wrong? Why won't custom notifies show up? If I add them to the anim montage itself they will show up, but then I can't give them custom logic or variables, only name. I can't imagine it being a bug since they're a rather commonplace thing and if it were, there'd be a lot more complaining around.

only if you shitpost so hard you get mods' attention

>the decent games all used Game Maker
huh

Changed the amplitude to make it harder to land punches.

art > enginedevving

really turns the gears

>take two weeks off work
>think I'll work on my game
>suddenly it's up and I have to go back to work
>didn't do shit
welp might as well kill myself now

We should add construct, love and renpy to the engines list in the OP, and maybe add a short description for each engine.

shitposting is not progress

only if your Australian maybe

construct and love are on and off in the op because no-one ever actually uses these things anymore

They need more ~*killer games*~ to prove their worth.