I'm buying an ignition coil for my mom's car...

I'm buying an ignition coil for my mom's car. I want to spend a lot of money on this because I can't afford to have her car break down on the road (she's old and this would be a major hassle for the tow truck driver sent to get her out of the car), aka I don't want just an OEM replacement part I want something high performance that will last at least ten years.

Any particular brands I should look for? Her car's make is GM.

Other urls found in this thread:

digikey.com/product-detail/en/hammond-manufacturing/195G75/195G75-ND/455526
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>no description of problem
>no year/make/model
>no known mileage
>no idea if original coil or aftermarket

Buy her a new car and stop browsing Veeky Forums

We know it's a coil issue because our mechanic said it was when she was getting her tires rotated. Car is an '09 Traverse with about 250k miles and everything is stock. Autozone's website already gave me a list of suggestions that would work (or at least their site claims it fits the car), but I wanted to ask here to see if you guys knew anything.

if youre mom cant get out of her own car she shouldnt be driving

that's not what state law says, the state made her take a behind-the-wheel test and she passed it

Just go to any electrical supplier and pick out an industrial quality coil.

Here's one suggestion
digikey.com/product-detail/en/hammond-manufacturing/195G75/195G75-ND/455526

>09 chebby traverse
>CoP
did he tell you which was the problem?

i'd go with oem or bosch, check rockauto.com

>I can't afford to have her car break down on the road
>Car is an '09 Traverse with about 250k miles

The coil isn't the only part ready to go. You'll need a trunk full of spare parts and tools. And your mom had better learn to wrench on that wreck herself.

Or buy a newer car.

There isn't much difference honestly. Get an oem coil or equivalent.

I know, I just replaced the plugs.

Freeze plugs? Drain plugs? Butt plugs? Spark plugs?

>We know it's a coil issue because our mechanic said it was when she was getting her tires rotated
is this satire

>because our mechanic said it was
Mechanics are like doctors, its better to get a second opinion.

Furthermore you still haven't described the problem.

Test the coil with multimeters and replace with an ebay coil if it's fucked.

Problem: it won't accelerate when going uphill and other really weird shit (engine randomly shutting off etc) that I don't have a better explanation for. I originally thought the spark plugs were dying, but that didn't solve the issue.

Has it dropped a cylinder or is it running like it has shit fuel?

Think so, hard to tell when it's so intermittent. Which is why I looked towards the coil.

You mean you think it's dropped a cylinder? Have you checked all the plugs for spark? Did you get new leads, distributor cap and rotor button when you did the spark plugs?

that is 100% not a coil issue. Where the coil would show a problem is at very high rpm, where the electric field can't break down fast enough.

If you're having acceleration problems during normal driving, look elsewhere. As others have said, maybe a cylinder isn't working. do a compression test or leakdown test.

Leads are fine, nothing is corroded. Benefits of having a garage.

I have to replace the head gasket this weekend anyway (shit is leaking out everywhere) so I'll probably be able to inspect it. Additional info: I've replaced head gaskets before.

high performance ingnition parts wear out faster

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long

>replacing head gasket
Lmao. Just scrap it. She's fucked, m8.

It was hard enough to talk my mom into trading her beat to shit '82 dorado for a car that she wouldn't be capable of overloading and got an acceptable gas mileage. That was seven years ago, and she's not buying anything else. Also the shocks are still good, it's only some engine problems that are an easy fix for me since I don't need a jack.

good to know

Head gaskets don't just blow for no reason. 9/10 there's an underlying issue like a warped head that's just going to fuck your new gasket

some engines it just happens
Example, my old corolla (7a-fe) started leaking between oil and coolant jackets. Pretty common

1/10

>Distributor
>09 Traverse

that being said, is there a CEL?

If there's a single coil, how's it gonna work without a distributor? Wouldn't it need a coil pack?

Soooo you want something "better than oem" and you're looking on AutoZone? Come on dude.

Just go to the dealer and get a coil there. I guarantee you it will outlast the car.

>I have to replace the head gasket this weekend anyway (shit is leaking out everywhere) so I'll probably be able to inspect it. Additional info: I've replaced head gaskets before.
I think you're thinking of a valve cover gasket.
But if the head gasket is "leaking everywhere" and you're having trouble accelerating and the engine is dying, that would be why.
Loss of compression and water in the cylinders could easily explain a car running like shit.
Also OEM is 99% of the time the best you can possibly get. Unless it's a totally built car, or it's a car with a massive aftermarket, OEM is the best product you can get.

Ask me how I know you don't work on cars for a living.

I seriously hope you don't change blown head gaskets without checking for underling issues. This is why I do my own mechanical work

just buy two and show that bitch how to change em

>Without checking for underling issues

I don't know what you're trying to say.