I want to swap my battery because it's dead

I want to swap my battery because it's dead.

I prepare by reading online guides. they all say take off negative, take off positive.

new battery attach positive, attach negative.

I do all this. I put new battery in, attach positive, then get sparks when I touch the negative to negative. what the fuck?

yup, make sure the positive and negative are in the right locations, and connect. Minor sparks are normal.

Make sure not to touch the wrench to any ground source when tightening up the positive cable.

sparks are normal? it's always sparking. how I can handle it with my hands then?

That'll happen.

>Make sure not to touch the wrench to any ground source when tightening up the positive cable.
That's why you hook up the positive then the negative, with the negative off the battery you can touch the wrench to the car body all you want, it's still an open circuit.

Don't be a pussy.

It's 12 volts. Quit being a faggot

stop trolling

Hey OP, it's not trolling. You're just fucking dumb. Just because you don't believe someone doesn't mean that they're trolling.
You will get sparks when hooking up a hot circuit. that's the way it is. It doesn't fucking matter thought because it's 12 fucking volts.
It can't shock you.

12 volts won't kill you, m8

so you're saying to force it in and tighten it down as it's sparking?

Yes. It's not that fucking hard

yes

it sparks when it first makes contact, it stops when it's actually fully connected. it's just a little bzzt for like half a second that is literally harmless

In other words OP: dry off your puss and quit being a fucking bitchmade faggot

what if it doesn't stop

It will.

It will stop

unless you have parkinsons it will

Yes, very mild sparks will be normal. As soon as the terminal makes full contact with the battery post, the sparks will end.

Despite having 600+ cold cranking amps, the 12 volt car battery simply doesn't have enough ass to push any current into you. Your skin is highly resistant to electrical current. Grab each side of the battery if you like, it cannot do anything with only 12 volts. Now an ignition coil with a cracked housing? THAT can wake you up.

>This is OP
your car's fucked

I tried like 3 sessions of sparks, and they weren't dying out

It cannot spark once the two are physically touching.
Take a video of you trying pls.

EWANURFRIENDS R DEAD

You want some real fun, at the Acura dealership, we changed batteries with the engines running to keep the radios from going into code lock. Imagine live positive from the alternator just hanging in the engine bay...

Just remember - negative is first off, last on

op here. I dropped a nut that was used for the battery clamp holder thing. what the fuck. I can't find it

THIS IS NOT YOUR BLOG

Get another one

how do I find the size? can I get one at ace?

nigger stop being ham-fisted 99% of the time you didn't even need to remove the nut entirely just loosen

Look harder.

This can't be a real thread

I feel I'm being trolled. every guide online says positive then negative when putting new battery on.

not one mentions sparks being okay. I've seen 4 videos on YouTube and none spark. my shit is still sparking

Put up a video

you guys are feeding a troll, literally lol... this is bait

Congrats op, you earned your you

Then your battery is holding a few thousand more volts than it should be and you should probably exchange it.

wrong.

I'M MCANNA WITHRAWALERE

Thats what weve told you to do. Negative off, positive off, swap batteries, positive on, negative on.

so read my op. I did that. why is it sparking?

BECAUSE THAT'S FUCKING NORMAL JUST PUT THE DAMN CLAMPS ON AND TIGHTEN THEM DOWN
A DC CIRCUIT WITH THIS LOW OF VOLTAGE PHYSICALLY CANNOT HURT YOU QUIT BEING A BITCH AND JUST ATTACH THE FUCKING CLAMPS.

it won't stop sparking!

When you attach the negative clamp firmly, it continues to emit sparks?

I can't get to that part, because it's pretty steady sparking just from touch

For fuck's sake user. For the umpteenth time, that's normal. The electrons want to flow through a complete circuit, so they sometimes overcome the high resistance of a small air gap and "arc", creating the sparks you see. This cannot hurt you. High voltage AC current hurts you. This is low voltage DC current.

It will stop, as long as you have actually connected it correctly

If not then you have somehow attached your +-cable to the body of the car also

itt: autists don't realise they're getting memed

BRUH

Posting waifu

Alphonse thread?

No. I'm assuming you're newer here and thus unfamiliar with alphonse. Alphonse posts literal garbage. Not even an attempt to disguise it as anything else. This just sounds like a brainlet attempting to into electricity.

Name pls pls pls

Everything I know about tit aesthetics says no but something else says I want to grab those

BLUE BOARD user

It's in the filename you literal troglodyte

If you car uses metric fasteners than it's 95% has M6 thread. If not I have no idea what that would be

>then get sparks when I touch the negative to negative. what the fuck?
Because all the standby electronic items in the car are discharged, at the moment you connected the fresh battery, all those devices drew a surge current. Many items have capacitors, and those will need to be filled up which causes an initial surge and thus sparks when you connect.

NEGATIVITY IS THE BEGINNING AND END

If you connect the negative first you will get HUGE sparks from the positive terminal.
Way scarier than the negative side spark.

thank you guys, op here. I forced it on, and I waited for the sparks to finish, and they eventually did. sorry, I thought you guys wanted me injured. got it on, and it's working now. thanks

I wasn't trolling BTW

Good.

Think of it this way, OP...have you ever licked the connections on a 9 volt battery to see if it's working? You know the little jolt that you feel on your tongue? That's what a 9 volt circuit feels like on a wet surface. A car battery is 12 volts...literally just 33% higher voltage

If you can't manage to put a battery in your car, you probably shouldn't be working on a car.