/ovg/ - OVGRAGS at a 5 mile square

Welcome to Veeky Forums Vidya General, the last safe place to discuss racing vidya and vidya including cars without blatant fanboyism, moderation, intimidation, and shilling*!

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have.
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing GT Sport, Forza 7 and other games on the Weekends! Check out our Google doc for more info.
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G5hk2IJjvsg
youtube.com/watch?v=gfSkihBjkW4
youtu.be/Y1n8F4uClUU?t=1m42s
youtu.be/JXtTYHtYZIU?t=66
youtu.be/nSGRLi_cQX8
youtu.be/QmIsl6m6ta4
youtube.com/watch?v=5Nri4p1X3qA
youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

/ovg/ takes on simdads for 24 hours at 1200 UTC

Name a better game

3nd for shitters.

Reminder to read James getting BTFO in the last thread

Project Cars 2 v1.3

>Big sim boys can't get off the line without borking it
>My league of nobodies does an hour long race at Nurb Combined with perhaps one contact

Really makes a think happen

>not thinking everyone is a shitter because you think you're bad but they're all objectively much worse

>be me
>doing 24 minutes of lel mans in project cars 2
>driving 488 gt3
>doing good for most of the race
>suddenly understeer into a wall
wtf i hate sim racing now

>pcars2 in vr
>big willow
>heavy fog
>despite the fog immense amount of sun + god rays casted straight in my face going into T1
>an incident took out the cones used as reference points for braking
first place I hardly knew ya

>be James
>cry on ovg about race incidents
>noone agrees with him
>post it on reddit for attention
>noone cares and downvotes it

youtube.com/watch?v=gfSkihBjkW4

>hurr ur just an elitist prick who thinks anyone slower than you shouldn't race.

No, the normies are starting to wake up and realize sim racing sucks because no matter whether you're in a league or a public lobby, nobody can fucking drive.

youtu.be/Y1n8F4uClUU?t=1m42s

>hurr ur just an elitist prick who thinks anyone slower than lewis hamilton shouldn't race.

No, the normies are starting to wake up and realize racing sucks because no matter whether you're in formula one or a conefag meet, nobody can fucking drive.

>macau
>ever being good

>tfw no sims with deploying airbags

No I don't think you understand. I have this huge amount of anecdotal evidence where I remember every race I've seen with more than a normal amount of wrecks, while I don't remember/conveniently ignore the ones that were clean.

Racing sucks.

>tfw i have 200 mods and one is breaking a single car and not the car based on that car also.

to be fair, anyone slower than lewlew shouldn't bother racing because they'll just get BTFO'd

rust v0.02

>Big sim boys can't get off the line without borking it
That's what happens when you get a bunch of James together.
Each of them thinks others are shit, each of them is unwilling to give up a ten of a second in lap time to have a more safe driving experience. After all if you crash it's not your fault you had no control over the situation, it's the shitters(read everybody elses) fault.

Call me crazy, but why do we still used "a guy waving a flag" as the system of warning?
The entire process could be automated where each car has a display inside with and a "flag" is sent to each driver about the state of the track based on their proximity to the location.
I mean....this is school project level shit, relatively easy to do. Why hasn't it been implemented? Lot of crashes could be avoided if we didn't rely on old methods of getting the info across.

If you think everyone else is the problem, then it probably means you are the problem

can you upload ur mods folder somewhere? pls

Why? Literally everything I have is off the forum.
If you want the bodykit its the stancex pack and the wheels are from the dtroxx miramar hotrod.

do they let you download shit even when you pirated the game? asking for a friend

They do.
The game is $5 cheaper through humble bundle than on steam BTW.

youtu.be/JXtTYHtYZIU?t=66
/ovg/ 1
real racing drivers 0

Its not even james' fault entirely by the outcome was obvious once the car moved on your mirror and you didn't act accordingly

>t. james

GET IN HERE LADS

who are we rooting for?

wife beater grau

420 blaze it

>safety car ripping sick skids

>they didn't pick the Camaro

who are "our guys"?

A system like that is already in place in most FIA high level GT/Proto racing.
It's called the "Marshalling system", you can see the display in pic related on the top right of the screen, it's the smaller display that hangs onto the bigger, stock display used for the rear camera. All cars that use this system have the same display, because it's a mandatory FIA upgrade that is always identical on all cars.

So next time you see pics of cockpits and you see that little display with a row of 4 LEDs on each side of the screen, then it's a Marshalling system.

You can look at any on-board night footage of Le Mans from the last 4 or 5 years (or any endurance race really) and you will see the display flashing constantly with blue flags on slower cars and showing all the other flags.

It's a pretty neat system but I suppose it's too expensive and/or too big and/or requires too much external infrastructure from the race direction to be used effectively on smaller scale races that have always been doing fine with volunteer guys waving flags from afar.

car #420

thanks for the informative post

When does /ovg/ purchase their very own retard safety car driver?

Godammit lancer

#420 on P28
WAT happened ? ;_;

>WAT a shit

Didn't we have Paltala drive a safety car in some touring car race?

Did Lancer also pay for his seat like all the other sheiks?

This guy slaps your rear quarter panel, what do you do?

Pigs can fly

The fuck Bentley bullies all cars

wrecked out by subhumans, continues the streak of a WAT car getting turned on lap 1 at every P1 race

you flip then the admins rule it a racing incident

WEC season finale starting now for those interested

youtu.be/nSGRLi_cQX8

nice thx

They better deliver on Ford GT in GT Sport

>watching WEC when you could be watching P1, the pinnacle of endurance racing
shiggy

>not having Dual-Monitor and watching both

#420 blaze less and get your shit together

F

>letting a LoL commentator race
SJ would be a better pick

F

youtu.be/QmIsl6m6ta4

youtube.com/watch?v=5Nri4p1X3qA

>say James is a shitter
>t. James

ATTENTION
the tune for the crown Vic is just max out the four rotor correct?
I don't want any issues at race time

It would not be enough in a place like Macau where if a car stops it automagically occupies 90% of the whole track width.
Imo ban all and every city circuit, no exception.

isn't it requirement here?

marko is cool and has a big dick

I'd also like to point out another thing, and it's primarily the reason why I put simracing on the backseat and very rarely drive anymore like 2014. Simracing takes two key factors that for an average gamer is a complete put off.
>Money investment
With a normal game, you're paying $10-$100 to get out N hours in the game, DLC and microtransactions not included. In simracing, not only do you have to figure in the cost of the game, but any required DLC on top of the cost for peripherals. If I wanted to play AC for example, I'm looking at $30 for the game, another $60+ for the DLC, and then anywhere from $125 up to $500 for wheel, pedals and maybe a shifter. Even with another genre that recommend peripherals like flight sims, I can buy a flight stick as cheap as $15 that will be pretty much functionally similar to the more expensive joysticks except with maybe less buttons or a less fancy design. Meanwhile with simracing that if you don't have a FFB wheel, you might as well not even bother using it.
>Time investment
The second part that kills simracing is the amount of time you need to sit down and practice for shit relative to the actual event. During the Yas Marina race earlier this year I spent about two hours painting the car, then five hours in solo practice fine tuning the setup, then on race day spending another two and a half hours on the public practice tweaking in the car for that I needed it to do. That means for one one hour race, I had close to eight hours of overhead of time. Most people are going to be bored if they have to spend eight hours doing something alone like play squash tennis for the chance to play with others for an hour. When someone has a limited schedule even like I did back in university that really prevented me from diving deep into something during the weekdays, it makes it extremely hard to become competitive as a rookie. I attribute this one to my increasing frustration and eventual blowout at simracing.
[1/2]

> I don't know anything about flight sims the post

>average gamer
>With a normal game
sims are not for gamers who want to play cars, but for car enthusiasts who want to race. g27 and asscorsa combo is infinitely cheaper than even racing in gokarts, which are cheapest thing you can do irl

>Experience investment
Playing off of the time investment point, simracing is one of those genres that you really have to know what you're doing in order to be good at, just like a flight sim. Consider that most other titles you can pick up, hop right in and play for an hour or two cold and still fare well. That doesn't work in simracing, and you get shit where even top simracers look like a bunch of amateur idiots. Even in a milsim title like Arma, I could place almost anyone in a squad as a rifleman or grenadier and they would do decently. Meanwhile you have a whole bunch of tuning controls, strategies and other things in simracing that require that experience in it specific to the genre that you have to focus on it or you'll never be competitive. Even though I was at one point one of the top ten fastest in New York in Trackmania, there's so much more depth in simracing only available in simracing that even with being one of the best arcade racers in the state that I couldn't transfer any of my experience over to simracing and suffered.

Simracing is similar to learning a musical instrument, except you can go out and show it off to other people without them thinking you're a nerd.

What part? If you're referring to the cost of the DLC, unless you're a massive autist and want the content none of it is required. In comparison, you NEED to have the DLC for a racing game. A lot of them just boot you out of the server if you don't have the carpacks. Yes, flight sims are expensive and things like DSC are autistic as shit but we keep seeing simracing games release year after year, flight sims are maybe one every five years. With so many releases and a large community, you think people would have more experience in the genre to not fuck up constantly.

i wish i could make tracks for a real racing game instead of Rust v0.02

is this too cartoonishly aggressively banked side to side? are these turns too tight? i dont even wanna begin on off-track geometry or on-track detailing until this like 2 meters or w/e of road is absolutely perfect and sets a standard of what is acceptable for the rest of it

please note that the part in obvious gray/orange dev textures will probably have a grippy natural sufrace later, like gravel or tamped dirt. the pressed concrete and poured concrete will remain level accross their widths wherever that material is used and only be not level to change elevation, unlike the dev textured bit thats all waverly

>Simracing is similar to learning a musical instrument, except you can go out and show it off to other people without them thinking you're a nerd.
You forgot that if you can do decently well people will enjoy your music.
If you can do decently well in sim racing literally nobody gives a shit and unless you are at least in the top 1% in the world and even then most people wont get any kind of interest or enjoyment out of watching you

youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

JUST

how the fuck do you end up in these situations?

>comparing playing a video game to a performance art

it takes minimal effort to at least learn to not crash like a retard in racing games and you can play them with a gamepad.

also
>During the Yas Marina race earlier this year I spent about two hours painting the car, then five hours in solo practice fine tuning the setup, then on race day spending another two and a half hours on the public practice tweaking in the car for that I needed it to do.
>two hours painting, five hours tuning
tells me everything i need to know about you, you're in it for the LE SICC WEBMS BRAH and are not in it to play a racing game

if youre not having fun, stop

>The Great Escape

is this too cartoonishly aggressively banked side to side? are these turns too tight? i dont even wanna begin on off-track geometry or on-track detailing until this like 2 meters or w/e of road is absolutely perfect and sets a standard of what is acceptable for the rest of it

please note that the part in obvious gray/orange dev textures will probably have a grippy natural sufrace later, like gravel or tamped dirt. the pressed concrete and poured concrete will remain level accross their widths wherever that material is used and only be not level to change elevation, unlike the dev textured bit thats all waverly

we warned you about discord fags. Here's the result

snap of oversteer
pass through the wall because quality collision system
then get stuck on good track geometry with rear wheels not touching the ground

nice quads

dont even wanna begin on off-track geometry or on-track detailing until this like 2 meters or w/e of road is absolutely perfect and sets a standard of what is acceptable for the rest of it

tons of people watch gaming streams these days

the problem is that sim"racing" is 90% things that are not racing, i.e. making meme liveries and trying to find a tune that will make up for your utter inability to drive

Possible RAIN IN 5
Despite nothing on radar

>the problem is that sim"racing" is 90% things that are not racing, i.e. making meme liveries and trying to find a tune that will make up for your utter inability to drive
Which reminds me, wanted to start a shitter series in dirt rally for people who recently got the game.
All assists and hud turned off, starting with 1960 cars and slowly working our way up. Maps would be chosen at random 2 min before the race starts.
Everybody starts the rally at the same time and finishes more or less at the same time.
So there wouldn't be the autism of having to memorize tracks which goes against the rally spirit.

The goal would be to have immersive, shitter friendly rally regularly. To have fun and hopefully get good along the way.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be much interest for such kind of thing. Lot of emphasis on winning, not improving, memorizing tracks, not having a fun race.

but we already had loads of fun with dirt rally here. i think league was going over 20 people at some point, varying from top players to people who finished the stage with multiple punctures. It's already fully consumed, every fun car and track combo was already tried, so it would be difficult to convince people to download it again.

>but we already had loads of fun with dirt rally here.
Yeah in the past, I'm talking about right now for people who recently got the game. Not the people who played it to death.

i still havent finished DiRT 1

how realistic is DiRT compared to other simcades? it feels like i can take corners at way higher speed than in forza and its much easier to throw the car around in general

dirt rally is pretty realistic but cars feel a bit light. other dirt games are arcades, maybe with exception of dirt4 which feels good in fwd cars

DIRT is a pretty good 300bhp cars on gravel simulator

>other dirt games are arcades
ok cool beacuse DiRT 1 is definitely more fun than forza but it feels easier too

w/e i dont mind, it's easier to control, has tuning, and is realistic *enough*

DiRT Rally or DiRT 1?

dirt 4 requires a fuckload of tuning to make the cars feel decent, but you can get them there
in general, to promote consistent weight transfer i take out as much arb as i possibly can and just turn the car into the floppiest thing alive

i run a similar setup in DiRT 1, i crank the rebound as low as i can without the car bouncing up and down like a pogo, and generally loosen the roll bars a ton. stiff suspension and high bump settings but everything else loose as a furfag's ass

i feel like encouraging a certain amount of body roll is helping the car turn more aggressively and sustain turns better but the very loose rebound should keep the wheels grounded, right??