/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oTydZBIGAuk?t=182
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6mb5er/cemuhook_cemu_plugin_implements_gyro_support_via/
citra-emu.org/entry/citra-progress-report-2017-june/
github.com/citra-emu/citra/commits?author=neobrain
github.com/Kierek/RetroArch-Playlists-Generator]
vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/
reddit.com/r/Megaten/comments/35ixub/pcsx2_progressive_scan_mode_patches_for_nocturne/
github.com/mudlord/shaderlathe
youtube.com/watch?v=nh4xE2DGa2g
ceddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6mgnpo/_/dk2bimu
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>previous thread

why the fuck can't I load any console systems in mame? I have software lists off and boot to cli on and use this:

retroarch -L /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/mame_libretro.so "snes ~/roms/b2.zip"

but it just gives me a segfault.

[libretro INFO] Starting game from command line:snes ~/roms/b2.zip
ARGUV[0]=snes
[libretro INFO] Game name: snes, Game description: Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom (NTSC)

"~/roms/b2.zip" approximately matches the following
supported software items (best match first):

Why is it looking for software items when I disabled soft lists??

>retroarch

dont donate to citra guys

why is it that when I launch a game on demul there's like a 90% chance the emulator enters this state of constantly lagging every 3 seconds and it also lags my whole computer in unison? i've noticed it rarely with other emus before but never to this extent. I have to launch a game then kill the emu like 10 times until it just randomly stops happening.

youtu.be/oTydZBIGAuk?t=182

bump

Because emulation isn't that expensive unless you are doing decapping and things like that. At least they are being honest about it.

The amount of people who hate themselves to use Retroarch in a dedicated cabinet can be counted on one hand. RA has a to do a better job with the core to even consider it.

is it really THAT bad? I've only ever used retroarch for m64p.

I personally had no issues with changing controls and using mame in RA, but I can see if someone is using RA for changing controls then going into MAME and trying to change the controls in the core, it would be frustrating

FBA is better imo

Its poorly integrated. It feels ducktaped on.

I love how people whine about plugins being bad up until hackers write Cemu plugins that implement functionality the Cemu developers are too ass-lazy to implement themselves.
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6mb5er/cemuhook_cemu_plugin_implements_gyro_support_via/

>I love how people whine about plugins being bad
You can thank crappy plugin-based emulators like Mupen64Minus, for that hive-mind mentality.

rpcs3 fags take note:
citra-emu.org/entry/citra-progress-report-2017-june/

This is how you put pictures in a progress report. Not jpgs with the quality set to 0 and windows titlebars with comic sans ms paint text overlaid randomly.

I always felt m64p's problem was the fact they don't actually have a website. The one that exists hasn't been touched for years. There's no way to download an "official" version of m64p currently.

The only reason why that plugin exists though is because cemu is closed source. Plugins aren't a good solution, but unfortunately it's the only solution here because greedy devs want patreon bucks.
Just look at the amount of posts here going 'why does botw only hit 15fps' because they don't know they have to download a separate .dll. That's not good design.

Devs themselves already told that donating is not necessary, so what?

Plugin based emulation IS bad. This is only nice because Cemu is bad as well

There's plenty of things wrong with it. They broke framebuffer notification and took out the GUI.. Thanks to their crappy plugin system, they can't even properly run Gauntlet in HLE. The PLugin system is holding them back.

Neobrain is basically "in charge" of Citra development. If he's telling us not to donate, it's not exactly a scandal.

Nice report, not that nice infos to report. This is by far the "weakest" Citra report so far (maybe because anyone interested in the project already know all the new stuff much before this was written down)

>Neobrain is basically in charge of Citra

What the shit are you talking about?

Citra was created and is still being managed by bunnei with yuriks and lioncash as his two main contributors. neobrain hasn't touched Citra in years faggot

>Neobrain
his name is nobrain, user. Get it right.

Anyone here working on any HD texture packs? What tools do you guys use mostly?

>he actually believes this
Read up, sonny.

github.com/citra-emu/citra/commits?author=neobrain

He's just taking a little break.

>There's plenty of things wrong with it.
It is a work in progress.
>They broke framebuffer notification
It's more like they never bothered to reimplement it properly.
>and took out the GUI.
Which wasn't a bad idea in itself. Seperating the executable and the GUI allowed for some significant flexibility. But the problem is they dragged their feet on replacing it. There is an official m64p UI, but there's no public builds so nobody knows this.
>Thanks to their crappy plugin system, they can't even properly run Gauntlet in HLE.
That has literally nothing to do with the plugin system, and even if it did, m64p is literally the only emulator that uses the m64p specification meaning it can change whatever the fuck it wants.
>The PLugin system is holding them back.
How, exactly? They wrote their own plugin spec to let them do the things they wanted to do.

I really feel like no one knows how to properly use MESS in RA

what's a cheap way to emulate GBA,NES,SNES,MD or similar shit? are those android tv thing plausible? I don't care about 100% accurate emulation as long as its playable and it sounds good. I might add that I own some 8bitdo controllers

>How, exactly? They wrote their own plugin spec to let them do the things they wanted to do.
Because it fails. RDP can't even detect whether the code enabled expansion pack.. It has to use non-portable code as a workaround, or even sillier which is to always enable it..

>That has literally nothing to do with the plugin system
It absolutely has to do with their plugin system. GFX plugins can't effectively communicate with the RSP because these amateurs don't know what they doing.

>It is a work in progress.
They have never done any significant innovation to the scene. HLEing Musyx to save 2% cpu usage is not significant. At least lib-retro has Parallel.

>Seperating the executable and the GUI allowed for some significant flexibility.
How did this do any good? The UI is horrible..

>It's more like they never bothered to reimplement it properly.
i consider that to be breaking. Still terrible regardless..

Android is always bad unless you want dropped frames and a audio skipping.

In general there are no small, cheap devices that are good for emulation; pretty much entirely thanks to Android's ubiquity, but a Raspberry Pi should be able to do everything you listed though not much more.

>Because it fails. RDP can't even detect whether the code enabled expansion pack.
And adding this functionality has nothing to do with their choice of architecture. It's not that fucking hard to check whether the game is using the expansion pack and hand that along.
>How did this do any good?
Portability.

I'm using retroarch and it refuses to make a collection out of my ps1 games but nes/snes/sms/genesis/gba/pc-e all made collections just fine. Why won't it make one for my ps1 games?

I think they have to be redrumps

Sorry, I should have specified. They are from the redumps collection which is why I'm confused that it isn't working.

>Portability.
top kek. mupen64 supported mac, win, and lin... To sacrifice usability for Android is pretty dumb..

> It's not that fucking hard to check whether the game is using the expansion pack and hand that along.
why don't they do it then?

That's odd

There are two things you can do though,
You can manually edit the playlist file in the playlist directory or you can use this [github.com/Kierek/RetroArch-Playlists-Generator]

I used that for my mame roms and it works just fine

>top kek. mupen64 supported mac, win, and lin... To sacrifice usability for Android is pretty dumb..
It wasn't about Android. The problem with the Zilmar spec is that GUI code is stored in the plugin dll itself. Which isn't actually a bad idea. But it causes issues because it means plugins can be less portable than the emulator they're meant for.
>why don't they do it then?
Low priority. It's nice to have, but not hugely useful.

>Low priority. It's nice to have, but not hugely useful.
They should, if they truly care about portability. always forcing expansion pack is a bad idea and so is having to code a non-portable work around in each gfx plugin..

Why is forcing the expansion pack a bad idea, aside from overheads and the American version of Space Station Silicon Valley freezing?

I was concerned about overhead and forcing hi-res with angrylion's, but i just remembered that LLE is essentially pointless in m64p anyway.. I don't even think they have angrylion's...

I didn't know about the freezing, but that sucks too..

bump

Can anyone confirm whether VC3's english patch works with Java 8? Because I think they might rely on JPCSP for one part of the unpacking process, and it's hitting a fatal error sometime after noting that a command was removed from Java 8.

vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

Where do I find these shaders featured in this webm? Where do I look for him? Where do I go to enable this screen?

I'm at the same screen he is at but I don't see it anywhere.

Yea, I had to download Java 7, which is Oracle intentionally make difficult, and then remove Java 8 to stop the patcher shitting itself.

Which core are you using?

PicoDrive 1.91

Try Genesis Plus GX. It might be a core-specific option.

can I unistall the picodrive core?

abandon hope

Which CRT shader is he using? I already have the Genesis Plus GX core loaded, with the NTSC filter.

Try crt easymode

So use cp.

which one? cg? Slang? I used slang and it crashed.

It also shits itself unless you do crazy shit like name the iso file "1.iso" due to windows file path limitations. The entire affair is a poorly coded clusterfuck that was never finished because the guy behind it disappeared.

doesn't quite look like his

lol wut the fuck

>greedy devs
How is it greedy to receive money for your hard work?

help

And to be honest, the anti-DRM thing I did was a plugin. Until Exzap changed enough to make it completely pointless.

It was useful for the whole 1.7 series of releases, and 1.8, but 1.8.1 iirc changed so much it made the DLL hook obsolete.

Any plans to "update it"?

Is there a way to get the native resolution when emulating n64 games on project64 1.6?
Basically so that the text and textures don't look out of place.
The only option I see is windowed resolution

What's Exzap's deal? Where did he come from? Is Exzap an actual programmer with a history, or a throwaway name created just for Cemu? Because IMO you do not complete programming 101 and then write something like Cemu, at least not without stealing something. I've only done superficial digging, but it seems like he just appeared.

GLideN64 does native resolution. It's more accurate, and ideally it would be the default, but Gonetz was afraid of alienating casual users.

As for finding GLideN64, you'll have to track it down. "Public" builds are woefully outdated. Gonetz posts updated WIP builds over on github.

>hard work
>implying they haven't ripped a shit load of GPL'd code

Its kinda pointless at this stage. Each release, Exzap now changes a fair bit just so he can get his shekels, which means a generic crack like the old Cemuhack versions not work.

Plus the functions that were hooked in the past to do what Cemuhack did no longer exist. The DRM code is a fair bit more complex than it was, and would mean a fair bit of work to come up with a similar method. Unless you try to do a generic patcher which scans for byte patterns instead of using user-mode application-space hooks.

To be honest, in some releases I swear he spent more time on DRM than the actual update/build work in question.

Don't worry, Exzap will open source the emulator when he gets tired of developing it, just like Jabo open sourced his half of Project 64. Right, guys?

Thx for the older versions anyway, may I ask you what are you working on now?
Never ever user

I saw someone on reddit's emulation board the other day claiming that Cemu has hit a wall because accuracy improvements require tighter timings and this will reduce performance which would be a PR disaster for Exzap because his Patreon audience expect faster performance on a month by month basis so he's dodging the real problems, such as stability, and focusing on the superficial stuff.

>Never ever user
Thatsthejoke. (I never understood the relationship between Zilmar and Jabo. How on earth do you collaborate on an emulator for years yet never share source code?)

reddit.com/r/Megaten/comments/35ixub/pcsx2_progressive_scan_mode_patches_for_nocturne/

if you check my github, thats mostly what ive been doing. that and keeping to myself as much as possible as to not annoy people.

What happened with noise emulation and libretro mupen64plus? Some disagreement over shader requirements?

You intend to use this github.com/mudlord/shaderlathe as a standalone tool or will be used in other projects?

Not really, the first pull request didn't meet the requirements, plus there was quite a obvious bug in the pull request. So it was nuked.

Ideally what I want in a PRNG for noise emulation would need around GL3.3/4.x . And I am not sure how well it would work on OGL ES.

Standalone tool and for other things.

It was needed since I personally need a data driven tool for demo development, like *many* other demogroups have. That and it could help with making shaders for libretro things.

I should add things like 3D model loading and stuff so it can be a generic testbed for any ol OGL code.

>what's a cheap way to emulate GBA,NES,SNES,MD or similar shit?
~$30 Android TV Boxes.

>As for finding GLideN64, you'll have to track it down.
Not the guy who originally asked it, but are the builds from EmuCR bad? I'm kinda curious.

bump

>Tiny TIger has not 'quit', he just told me in private he simply thinks the scene is a waste of time and it's a matter of throwing pearls before swine. Nobody knows what any of the code does in Parallel RDP anyway, nobody has the skillset to add to it, so honestly, it's a waste of time for a person with his talent and technical knowhow to be involved in this scene since the level of talent is desperately low, the emotional maturity is wanting to say the least, and the few that are actually any good and are not impossible to work with get snapped up pretty quickly by a big company. And he is simply not interested in emulator stuff anymore. he is working on Vulkan 3D renderers now. I don't blame him honestly.

>People move on with their lives. Impossible I know. Having them stay forever in a scene is not realistic unless you are willing to make certain sacrifices in your lifestyle and the amount of passion you have for something outweighs the toll of having to deal with lots of irrelevant drama and nonsense which makes it not worth it to many. And who can blame them? Not many want to sit around in a scene forever composed of emotionally unstable manchilds that get into bipolar episodes every last day of the week, and the few that do want to put up with it (like me) get hated for it (for ironic reasons).

>Now, I hope you at least get the message now that this little myth you have conjured up 'Tiny Tiger has quit' is yet another falsehood on your end (next thing you know you no doubt will try to blame his supposed 'no longer being interested' on me as well, even though he also told me that is simply a completely wrong and baseless assumption and that if anybody thinks that, they are delusional - but hey, I'm the only guy who actually talks to him while all you guys can do is start up the rumor mill, case of unreliable narrator there). 'Quitting' is not the same as simply having no interest anymore.

is SP well ? He seems emotionally unstable.

Is there a quick reference guide for which GBA games should be played with gba-color and which shouldn't? Probably going to play this today and I'm not sure which direction I should go in. The manual has the original GBA in it, so I'm thinking gba-color is probably the way to go?

>PCSX2 now spits out 4GB dumps of soething whenever I start a game
>somehow decides that any valid memcard isn't a memcard
What the fucking shit is up with that

Well then which are better alternatives? Are Retropie or EmulatorStation any better than it?

Does Jak and Daxter still have black eyes in PCSX2?

I think that one has been fixed.

Wasn't sure since the wiki hasn't been updated.

For some ungodly reason some option I didn't even knew existed got enabled which was what caused the dumps on every boot.
>CdvdDumpBlocks
Thing is it's .ini only and I have never touched that shit

The memcard one was just as strange, setting it to a new folder with the same memcards fixed it completely.and I don't understand why.

I heard rumors RPCS3 could interfere with PCSX2 installs but that's fucking ludicrous.

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=nh4xE2DGa2g

What's this guy's problem?

Well there is a reason as to why it is called Linusfailtips.
Fucker put a gfx card in an oven to reflow the solder.

>Fucker put a gfx card in an oven to reflow the solder.
To be fair it kinda works, you just risk killing the card half the time.

Don't make me link Luis Rossmans rant on it. Was pure autism, but the fall out was funny.

>Big Blue Frontend
Retarded guy known for making new accounts on leddit. Like SP.

ceddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6mgnpo/_/dk2bimu

>Don't make me link Luis Rossmans rant on it. Was pure autism
Please do, I need some more autism in my life considering I'm rechecking a few things to report bugs.