Pathetic engine thread

Pathetic engine thread
Post engines that should have never been sold

cadillac 368 v8-6-4

oldsmobile diesel v8

Gotta give 'em credit for giving the concept a shot, even if it should have been canceled a lot sooner.

As awful as those are, they're still not too bad for mad max post-EMP run-on-anything conversion projects.

Big
Heavy
Unreliable

Haven't people started tearing these down to the bare block and using them as a base to build gas engines on because they're tougher than the same displacement gas Rockets of the time?

Can some of you include explanations with your post? i don't really understand these two. i get the Northstar even though its a guilty pleasure of mine.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure they didn't change the block at all. Which is probably why they all exploded.

the V8-6-4 had automatic cylinder deactivation on a 7.0L making at most 140hp, coupled with horrific electrical gremlins made for an embarrassment.

the olds diesel had little to no quality control or R&D and was both noisy, inefficient, and slow. they were strong blocks, though, as said.

Listen buddy. If you're going to have an all-mechanical diesel you might as well get one that goes

CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK

>wankel meme

mostly the turbo wankers, since they run insanely hot. the non-turbo RX-7s and the RX-8 aren't quite as finicky as people make them out to be.

dorito was a mistake

Nah, the actual blocks are strong as hell, it's everything around it that's crap. The guys in Lansing were engine wizards most of the time, but definitely had the occasional stinker like that or the 'big block small-block' 403 where the cylinders were bored out so far the engines sometimes had problems with cooling or even cracking.

>RX-8
S2 maybe. The s1 has one less oil injector. Thank you FORD!

desu i did not know this. thanks user.

Lets puts a torqueless wonder of an engine in a 3100lb car!

did a bit of googling and supposedly the Oldsmobile diesel was so bad it damaged diesel reputation in passenger cars for the next 30 years.

Sad olds couldn't add a good diesel to their list of underdog achievements

There's LITERALLY nothing wrong with slow stinky unreliable diesels. US manufacturing at it's zenith.

>all aluminum krait space magic """"""""compact"""""""" V8
>still manages to be physically bigger AND heavier than an LS for only 2/3rds the displacement, completely unable to take boost and has an inherently flawed timing setup at the FLYWHEEL SIDE OF THE BLOCK
Is this the biggest fuckup of a V8 ever?

>233k
>never had head gasket job

how long does she got folks?

8-6-4 took a smog era V8 that made no power, and attempted to incorporate a clunky unrefined cylinder deactivation system.

oldsmobile V8 had early quality issues with heads. Eventually they got sorted out but the 6.2 was more successful by that point. 6.2 and 6.5 still had issues with cracked heads, I guess it's just a GM small diesel thing.

My vote goes to Shortstar V6.

>makes same power as a 3400
>northstar quality
>redundant place in market

Toyota 3vze. Jesus christ what were they smoking.
>must remove intake plenum and shit ton of vacuum lines to replace PCV

There's no point to an inline 6 when a V6 is more fuel efficient, takes up less space, and can make just as much if not more power, all the while running smoother and quieter.

a "normal" tune up is plugs, wires, PCV and maybe a TB cleaning service. If you replace it at the same time as plugs/wires theres no issue.

But jesus fuck, the one time you get a bad PCV valve or have an issue with it, you curse those fucking engineers to hell.

That'd be funny because around the time they were starting making those, they had shortages on Rockets, and some where being shipped out with Chevy 350's much to owner's dismay when they asked for a rocket, not knowing until they went to fix something.

I6s make more torque down low. For cars, yes, V6s are overall just better. For trucks and torque applications, I6s are a better design.

My grandpa had one of these. He got a new engine under warranty before he got rid of it a long time ago.

>V6 is more fuel efficient,

>all the while running smoother and quieter.

Nigga you're going to have try harder than that.

There's no working room either, prone to head gasket problems from poor heat ventilation at the firewall, and in general being a pain in the ass to do anything with.

Ya, that's why all those class 8 trucks run v6's right?

Delete this

Yeah I'll have an Inline-4 DOHC, and hold the torque please.

>the non-turbo RX-7s

You mean the burger spec pieces of shit that should have never been made?

Piston arrangement doesn't have much to do with torque and where you feel it. I6s has that reputation because the balance can handle very large amounts of torque easier. The even power pulses also make it smoother, so large amounts of torque at low rpm don't feel weird.

Vulcan v6
And it's successor that was put both in Mazda mpvs and Jaguars

RX-7's sold in all markets had the N/A wankel rotary as the base motor... turbocharging wasn't even standard until the FD.

this is incorrect. there was never an n/a FC sold in japan

Is there a huge as fuck 1.5 meter micrometer behind the engine? WTF

excuse me then, I guess the rest of the world really did get cucked.

yeah, na 6 port 13bs are shit for making power because they dont take boost well and porting isn't a very good option either

98 nissan pathfinder
3.3Lt 6cyl engine
knocks
knocks
knocks

DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT MUH VG

I'd just swap in a TII motor and call it day honestly.

What sucks about that though is that the NAs also had a weaker transmission and rear end, so you basically need a whole drivetrain for the swap to be worth it.Also TII engines are like $1500
I was really looking for an FC to do just that a little while ago but i realized the FC train has come and gone in the US. Eventually maybe I'll import a fully sick JDM one because theyre cheap as fuck in japan and even if its a shitbox i can sell it to some dweeb for like 10k

I'm lucky and unfortunate enough to live in California so there are quite a decent amount of RX-7's around, Turbo II's show up on CL very rarely though and sell for high prices.

Ah, I'm in Florida, so we have a good smount, especially in the south, but most are clapped out pieces of shit and the rest are NO LOWBALLLERS OWN A PIECE OF JDM HISTORY or some shit. There are 3 TIIs for sale: one super clean one for 5k but it has a rebuilt title, one that needs a new engine because apparently he fucked up the internals when he rebuilt it and a riced out one listed for 12k FIRM
I'm in north florida though and I've only ever seen one FC up here my entire life

I'm in the bay area, it's pretty much a wash. Some FC's are in immaculate condition and others are mexitrash shit heaps.

Turbo II's never sell for less than 8k even in rough condition, honestly importing is a really tempting idea for me once I get out of college.

>sounds like it's going to explode over 3000rpm
>only makes power over 3000rpm
>shit oil delivery
>100,000km timing chain replacement lifespan
>must remover intake manifold to change rear spark plugs
>unidentifiable CEIs for dayz

>Filename

topkek

90 degree V6's in general, I know there's that Volvo on that sucks too.
>"how do we design a v6?"
>"I know let's take this old buick V8 design and chop 2 cylinders off it."
>"Perfect!"

Looking forward to a future where we run out of cobalt and nickel thanks to the massive rush to push electric vehicles, leaving a massive supply gap where everyone wants an electric car but no one can build them any more. Same goes for everyone's phones, laptops, tablets, etc, since they all share similar battery tech now.

Here's something to think about for a possible future, though:

Hydrogen.

I don't mean fuel cells, though. Hydrogen typically has issues running in piston engines because even low compression ratios can make it pre-ignite, but there's one engine that can actually work around this particular issue.

Starts with an R, ends with a dorito.

That's right, rotary engines WILL make a comeback, get ready for it Veeky Forums. In 30 years time we'll be the smart ones driving around in RX-whatevers and mid-engine rotary Corvettes, while everyone else is stuck taking the bus because there's a 10 year delay on their electric shitbox.

I'll just keep driving my diesel, they aren't gonna stop production of that for a fuckin long time because shit still has to be moved about in a timely fashion.
>Unless they move to plug and play battery banks

These were great little engines for their time.

>great
>little

The 3800 is neither of those.

>good power down low
>last forever
>take fi like a champ
I'm not seeing the issue.

>>good power down low
About the only place it makes power desu

>car designed for average motorist makes power in the range that the average motorist uses most
Lmao. How will 1990 economy level v6 ever recover?

>90 degree v6
>because it's based off a v8 block
>have to run a balance shaft to cancel out the vibrations
>instead of just designing a purpose built 60 degree v6
>like they finally did now

They ran that engine for far too long.

It was better than the 3.6 shitpiece that gm puts in everything now.

And this makes it a good engine design does it?
>mfw
The corporate bean counters appreciate the support user.

You mean the new alloy quadcam 200+kw jobbie?
That's a purpose built V6 how it should be.

>nissan P12 diesel engines
From the engine down to the cvt crapbox.
>TSi FSi kraut memes
A 300km trip and regular jumps to 150km/h can set you back for an engine light and a 600 jewros repair. Kraut engineering my ass.
Also, the user that mentiined wankel and hydrogen, is titally right. Nice to see some educated ppl here.
Other than that, the classic 5-10 engines mentioned in each thread are mentioned here. What's wrong with Veeky Forums, does its knowledge hit a wall?

I'm talking about the 3.6 alloytec. If you've ever had to actually deal with them, you'd know what a piece of shit it is.
No. It's a good engine because it served its intended purpose well. Not sure how gm would appreciate someone giving a thumbs up to an old engine that they no longer produce tho.

No mention of the unreliable BMW M54B25?

Ah well maybe GM didn't execute too well but they're following the right idea - everyone else is doing it.
Toyota
Nissan
Ford
They all have 60 degree ~3.5litre quad cam V6's putting out 200+kws.

Pretty much every bmw diesel engine
How can they fuck up so bad for so long

So what? The fuckers go through a timing chain every 100,000kms. What good is 200kw up in the high revs to the average driver? Not to mention that they sound like they're going to explode once you get them over 4000rpm

It's intended purpose was to do the minimum required for the lowest cost to the company building them, this does not make it a good engine, it was never and will never be a good engine.

It gave power where it was needed, was reliable and lasted 300,000+kms. Where is the issue here?

Rover K Series

Fucking atrocious

I'm not arguing there is an issue with it's basic use, it makes for a functional appliance. My argument is this doesn't make it good, let alone great.

Yeah timing chain maintenance is no good but that's how they build engines nowadays, twin rows are a thing of the past!
They make peak torque at 2800rpm though so I dunno what you're on about there and it's the old Buick that sounds like it's going to explode past 4k.

Outsourcing to Toyota was the best thing Lotus ever did.

Doesn't just sound like it, the Buick has a mechanical limit of about 5500, even in the racing series they run that uses them they run a 5500rpm hard cut to keep them in one piece.

>pathetic engines thread
Even so, I think they were good engines. If I need a shitbox for some reason, I'd have no problem buying one with a 3.8.
>maintenance
Fucking lol. It's a $1000+ repair
The alloytec are shitboxes, m8. They're noisy at idle and sound like shit at high rpm. I serviced my mums last year and you literally have to change the inlet manifold gasket to get to the sparkplugs. I'd sooner go back to dailying my old 3.8 than buy a new 3.6

>They're a great little engine
Thats what I'm disputing
> If I need a shitbox for some reason, I'd have no problem buying one with a 3.8.
Which pretty much sums up the 3.8

Lmao, m8. It's an old engine now. Of course it's going to be old shitbox tier.

Wasn't this Rover V6 also a POS? I've heard that they eat through head gaskets.

Apparently it also has 3 timing belts and requires special tools to set the timing.

It was an old engine when it went into service for Holden and it was a shitbox then.

Northstar hold up if you best the shit out of them. Part of the problem is caddy owners are old fucks who can't drive cars, let alone flog them

It did its job perfectly. How about I reword my claim for your autism?
>the Buick 3.8 was a great little engine for a normalfags daily driver in 1995

Timing chains/belts (even gears sometimes) have always been a maintenance item. Even with the short old twin rows on pushrod engines, although they'll never break, manufacturers will tell you to replace them every XXXks because they stretch and become less efficient.

Belts yes but a chain should last the life of the engine.

If you wanted a Commodore, I could agree but if you were indeed a normie why wouldn't you buy a Camry?

well considering the one I owned died after an oil change I wouldn't buy one

Like I said a short old twin row on a pushrod motor will never break but you're still supposed to replace them.

Also it's worth considering modern engines run such high compression ratios (due to modern emissions laws) that they probably cannot afford to have any stretch in the timing chain or it could result in valve piston interference.

> (OP)
k
>>never had head gasket job

>how long does she got folks?
Just don't let it overheat and you'll be fine. Also those Northstar need a special antifreeze.

Literally one of the best engines of all time.

What makes it better than say...... a VG30e?

Simplicity. Better torque.

I never said it was better or worse than any other specific engine, but it is a great engine. It’s grunt is at a very usable rev range, it’s simple as shit. It’s bulletproof with the most rudimentary maintenance, and it is dirt fucking cheap to work on then the accessories like the water pump croak.

all the K series engines were made with elastomer head gaskets that would decay over time

I vote Chrysler 3.5l EGG.
>Sohc V6
>interference engine based on 3.2l non-interference engine
>2 intakes and throttlebodies (lol goof luck synching them)
>WILL esplode if boosted
>250hp/250tq AT 4K RPM
>only ever paired with slushboxes that shift at 3k rpm so you never get to use that power

>It’s grunt is at a very usable rev range, it’s simple as shit. It’s bulletproof with the most rudimentary maintenance, and it is dirt fucking cheap to work on then the accessories like the water pump croak.
You just described most underdeveloped engines.

That's was a very good NA motor in it's day, going all the way back to 2001. Well suited for FWD's of the time.

Technically that would be Hyundai shitty engines given than the platforms Kias are built on are Hyundais but they're hardly the first company to have recalls.

*overheats*