Is this a good car?

Is this a good car?

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

its ok
but why not get the real e39 m5 but a wannabe m5?

For American standards very much so. For global standards it's powerful but mediocre, especially in terms of interior quality, ask the Aussies.

Because we live in 2017 and I don't want a project car that spends weekends on jackstands

But the all-new Kia Stinger beats SS !

It's pretty good for what it is, but it's architecture is almost 15 years old, so it's heavier than it would be on Alpha or other more modern platform.

for the money you can get a low mileage e39, a perfect daily driver.

For its price, absolutely not. there are far better deals used AND new and its why it was never going to be a thing in america. we already have a fuck-ton of Zeta platform cars here so anyone who also likes this is more likely to buy a used CTS-V or G8.

At least a CTS-V wagon would hold its value on top of giving you everything this car could (i don't see the SS holding its value like a CTS-V wagon because big v8 sedans are still plentiful here and the SS isn't rare not special enough and the V-wagon was just an odd enigma being here that didn't last long)

That is a holden

Some of us don't want to turn in our man cards and would rather listen to a burly V8

For the same money, you can get a slightly slower, older, less reliable and more miled up car. Don't worry, it's a BMW from a decade ago.

Also,
>perfect daily driver
>6 speed

I'm a manual guy, but don't bullshit and say they make a perfect daily driver.

Fuck yeah it is

G8 GXPs still go for 80% MSRP 9 years later. Why would exactly the same car but with magneride and brembos all around be any different?

Umm a ss commdore shits all over an e39, it used to compete with the m5 in Australia..

Fuck anyone who recommends a E39 or any BMW. they are complete pieces of shit that you will have to spend a ton of money on.

2017 commo vs 1995 BMW. Kids these days.

Never fucking change Veeky Forums

>shits all over
Just no
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/

Nice!

I tend to keep cars for awhile, and I'm ready to move up from my e46. I like the idea of an SS because it's essentially the end of an era, I don't see many V8 sedans being made going forward and I have my entire life to buy electric appliances or inline 4 turbo's.

How has the reliability been with yours?

Absolutely perfect. Better be for a car with less than 10k on it though. The immediate torque it has at all times is addictive. I love this thing so much. Pretty much every car ever has at least one sort of nagging flaw with it, but I have yet to find one with my SS. You really can't go wrong.

Try comparing one to a HSV, half of their problems seem to be with performance and looks.

>recirculating ball steering
>Adjusting for inflation, the SS's sticker price is nearly half that of the M5's

Both will be classics at some point

Manual or automatic? It's a car the wife will drive sometimes, so probably going to have to go with the auto. Does that kill the experience completely? I'm not expecting a track monster, but something with some power to fuck around on the highway and go on road trips in.

Looking for a 2015+ under 30k, they seem to be few and far between.

Id go with the manual but im Australian, you would only get the auto if it was going to be your wifes car and she can't drive manual at all.

Mine is a 6 speed manual. The automatic does have remote start and an auto-parking feature if that intrigues you. It should also lower the price a bit since they're not as sought after.

If it was me I'd teach my wife manual, since it's gonna be primarily your car, not hers.

>buy m5 for $15k
>spend $15k in maintenance/repairs
now you have a practically brand new m5 e39 and still have $10k left for fuel and tyres

Yes. 415 HP LS3 that responds very well to mods. A cam and a tune can get you to 600whp. Mag ride suspension, RWD, 6 speed manual, what isn't to like?

I have a manual E39 6 cyl and I had daily'd it for 3 years. It's doable.

My dad just bought a brand new SSV wagon, but it has to be delivered from Sydney. It's really difficult to get the what you want, in the right colour with the options you want since they don't make them anymore.
They're comfy as fuck, I love the interior. It fit me really well too (I'm 190cm).
I might be bias because I've only owned Commodores, but I'm definitely in love. I really hope the prices aren't stupid in 2 or so years when I'm ready to buy one.

>buy pontiac g8 for 10k
>spend 20k on sick mawds
why get the bmw again?

Get the manual and teach your wife. It will take her two hours tops to learn to drive it.

I only dislike the looks, and the fact it sold like shit.

>buy pontiac g8 for 10k
Goyim pls

the pontiac is not a e39 knockoff though
nor it is as good handling as a ss or e39

>hilariously overpriced
>insanely unreliable
>worst sound system known to man
>extremely high-maintenance
no

>9k usd
how much are they over there?

$30k cheaper than a SS yet it performs the same but looks better and is more luxurious.
DSP audio system is fucking amazing btw.

25k-30k

the pontiac g8 and vf ss are the same fucking car with a different body kit.
want it to handle better?
put new shocks and springs in it, ss was never a proper performance car, that is what HSV was for.

>was never a proper performance car
neither was the e39
it was a luxury saloon yet it's still being compared to the 20 year newer SS

>comparing used car price to new car price
retard

>"retard"
says the guy who claimed the e39 is overpriced lmfao.

>///M
>not intended for performance
okay

2015+ SS has magneride, you'd be wasting your money if you bought struts and springs.
For a 20 year old broken German shitbox it is

>Super Sport
>not intended for performance
Ok

Damn, pic is up for 32k AUD, 6 speed manual HSV GTS r8

But if the 20 year old broken german shitbox is better than a brand new chevy, how is it overpriced?

they both are. stop being braindead.

But it isn't better. It's a broken German shitbox.

But it is better, fact.

>luxury saloon
Then compare the e39 to a Grange.

>they both are
>ss was never a proper performance car
fucking retard

>Chevrolet

enjoy people thinking that you live in a trailer park

>taking a review of a car by a paid brand shill objectively
jesus christ

12k more expensive on average for a 17-year-newer car with an active manufacturer warranty

>gets proven wrong
"b-but paid shills"
you are desperate enough to claim bmw would pay to advertise a 20 year old model, pathetic

If the SS is supposed to be a proper performance car then what is the GTS supposed to be?
Pretty sure the SS is just a mid level tourer.

because very low mileage E39's are appreciating in value?
$28k is not an appropriate price for an e39, you can find a good example for $15k easily.

no, Cammisa is so biased in favor of BMW that his involvement in any speculative comparison between brands compromises any journalistic integrity therein

and then spend 15k repairing it...?

are you the same person?
in one post you claim it's supposed to be a proper performance car, in the other you claim it isn't, wtf?

it says in the article that the guy thinks the e39 is the best car bmw ever made before even starting the test.
if not a paid shill he is a biased one.

no you dumb slut, multiple people disagree with you

Cam and tune on an LS3 can get you 600 whp, are you retarded? No LS3 has ever made anywhere near 600 whp on a cam only.

For $15k you can do a full engine rebuild so basically you'd end up with a 0 mile e39 for $30k.
still a better deal than a new SS

THE SHORT ANSWER IS YES NOW EVERYONE KILL YOURSELVES

i am but not

Or maybe SS fanboys are dumb shits who can't agree whether the SS is a proper performance car or not? lmfao

It's Australians arguing with Americans about an Australian car?
do you expect a productive discussion?

As an Australian I have driven Commodores daily for many years. I always thought they were OK until I bought my E39 - the E39 is a much better car. The Commodores use the 6 Litre Gen4 engine which has heaps of grunt but apart from that the Bimmer beats them hands down.
In my opinion anyway.

Until it shits itself and you need to spend 10k on the engine, meanwhile the holden will do 300,000km easily and a new engine is about 1.5k with a gearbox.

There is no way the S62 could just "shit itself", it's one of the best M engines ever. Mine is at 124k miles currently.
A full VANOS rebuild is the costliest thing about the engine and it costs $2k tops, you service it and forget about it.
I could not afford a $40k car and I did not want to lease so E39 M5 was my best option for the ultimate saloon.

if you are primarily tracking/competitive driving, and don't mind throwing positively absurd amounts of money at running costs, repairs, and general maintenance, the E39 M5 will likely perform somewhat better than an SS/Commodore. if you are commuting and daily driving, the less stressed, simpler, newer drivetrain of the SS will be magnitudes less hassle.

e39 will cost you less than the ss either way, even if the e39 engine blows up (which won't happen)
they both perform equally but the main reason to get the e39 over the ss in my opinion is the timeless design of the bimmer
ss just looks so cheap
also that perfect comfy e39 cockpit

That review basically says the Commodore handles better, but they said the ride of uncomfortable (it's not)

>ss was never a proper performance car,
SS was always a "proper performance car" since the badge was applied to HQs, Toranas, Homologation HDTs all the way up to the outgoing VF. While it's no supercar, it's literally the flagship performance Holden. HSV just take Commodore based vehicles even further.

The Toranas were actually race cars, the commodores are not.

>big v8 sedans are still plentiful here
Are you talking about the US? I don't see hardly any here but chargers.

CTS-Vs G8s Lexus V8s, i mentioned the used market.

Why are you shilling so hard

>buy Chevy SS for 40k
>2k miles

Give up, your argument sucks. The E39 M5 is cool and all, but it won't stack up to a Chevy SS, not in speed, reliability or maintenance costs

I mean...who in their right mind would buy a used chevy when you can buy a latest generation used CTV-v or CTS v sport for the same price?

Me? I hate the chiseled design language that Cadillac's had since the 2003 CTS.

If the 6-speed CTS-V wagon were in a sane price range, I'd agree.

Objectively slower cuck

>The Toranas were actually race cars, the commodores are not.
Not that it has anything to do with anything, are we completely forgetting about the 80s Group A and Group C Homologation Commodores? The modern SS Commodores are not actually race cars, sure. But since 1992 without a local production based tin-top catagory, they've had no reason to build an homologation race car.

You'd have to get a 2nd Gen CTSV with 75k+ miles for it to be the same price

>holden is gone

It's a very good car.

Nigger where are you that a G8 is 30 grand. Maybe the GXP.

Not him but any g8 that isn't a GXP is automatic, so I wouldn't consider one.

What options are there for rear wheel spinners in Aus now?

Ford said they were gonna replace falcons with mondeos and mustangs, but mondeos are fwd shitboxes and noone has mentioned the mustang idea in over a year.

On top of that, neither ford nor holden have any plans for a ute?

I'm sticking to motorbikes, at least they get better every year

The mustangs are stupidly unsafe cars, a 20 year old falcon is safer.

Just buy a commodore or a falcon?
who the fuck buys new cars in Australia anyway?

Mustang's been available here through Ford for the last year.
The midsize pickup market has killed the traditional ute, so look for performance versions of those (Ford has all but confirmed the 2.7 Ecoboost powered Raptor Ranger).

Forgive me if i am wrong but you have been able to buy a rhd mustang from ford since the mid 2000's...?

Yeah pickups seem to be the trend now, goes well with a bike anyway.

I knew you could get mustangs for a while, but i was wondering if it was going to be 'localised'/rebadged like holden with the opel commodores.

ANCAP is not a factor in buying a mustang

What is exactly?
the only reason i can see for buying one is because the falcon doesnt exist anymore.
the only people who ever bought them before the xr8 died was baby boomers.

I agree with you that falcons are a better purchase than mustangs currently, but the mustang seems like its going to be the only option in the future

again, why not just buy a falcon or commodore?
its not like they suddenly stopped existing just because they are not made new anymore.

There is confusion, I myself would personally pick an aussie ute next.

At the same time, I'm speculating what the options are in the future, for future young lads, as eventually the commodores will go the way of my VT shitbox.