nice truck friend

I bought an XJ five hours ago. babby's first 4x4

lol

congrats, user!

what year?

thanks budy

>Mysterious Utility
Heh

ty, always wanted one but was too into 90's jap shitboxes to bite but here I am. feels good.

2001. And yes I'm aware of the cracked head issue, Mine seems good.

what do you do with it
do you have any plans for it

1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade. Needs lots of fixing, but im keeping it.

Does anyone know of a way to obtain a classic LC for less than $30K? I mean one that isn't 90% rust and being sold by some greedy boomer. All I can find are fully restored ones that I'd be sad to mess up offroad, or horrid wrecks that would cost me $25-35K just to get in running shape again.

Welcome. Do not start namefagging.

Modern rubber on classic's is my fetish.

You should clear-coat that with something low-gloss/matte.

I'm really digging the weathered

P A T I N A
A
T
I
N
A

Eh, i like the weathered paint look a lot. Biggest problem is the carburetor. Dropped lots of money into it and still havent made any progress. Isnt smogging either.

Lots more problems after that. It's a project car, but its awesome

I'm just glad the 7.50R or 235/85R16 size was kept. Skinny bush tires are my fetish.

yes i just purchased one actually. (dont have it quiet yet though unfortunately)
takes a lot of time honestly. saw probably 30 or so rigs (many of which were hours away) before i pulled the trigger on the one i bought. its far from perfect but it has almost 0 rust and it has a lot of new parts on it. very pleased with it.
craigslist can be a good resource, but it just takes a lot of time and sifting through a lot of crap. mud classifieds is great but no where near the inventory.

me too friend, me too.

Where and what model / years?

Why the fuck is this a thing?

>he doesnt crawl in his 55
i mean just kys

>tfw fj40s used to be cheap offroad vehicles
>tfw you will never get to have the option of buying a modern, utility 70 series in canada / usa

pull the trigger on something else too, fgt

mmm. wall-e land cruiser

Hecking nice. What's underneath the tub right now?
Saw one of these on the trails yesterday with like 20k under it and he's offroading it in deep ass mud. Thought it was a grill swapped TJ because I didn't believe someone would put a CJ on 37s and offroad where I was...

What plans do you have for this babe?

Cute!

Do you need to do any aftermarket stuff to get gud at off roading or can you do some serious shit with a stock 4x4 w/ locking rear diff alone?

tires and tire pressure. That's the secret.
First thing's get a portable air compressor, snatch-strap and shackles.

After that, keep wheeling and building a better idea of how to further improve your vehicle to do what you need to do.

Any good reads on tire pressure? I've got both tow straps and some snatch ones. And by shackles do you mean pic related? How are they different than tow hooks?

they're not. both are hooks mounted to the frame. the only difference is that the shackles are mounted to bumpers (then mounted to frame) and can be removed with a pin or screw so you can put tow straps in them without doing some autistic tow strap tying down

Experimentation is the best bet, but I usually go around 18-24psi for mud (depends if there's hard ground under the slop) and with sand I start out with 15psi. Sometimes if the car's still working a little too hard on 15psi, I drop to 10lb and leave it until it's time to hit the highway (have gone as low as 6psi for a self recovery).
While I usually find Ronny Dahl a bit too much to bare, I feel he's close to the money here. youtube.com/watch?v=BAXRjNHIUw8

Remember, speed in low tires creates heat. I'll cap my speed at about 30mph when I'm running sand pressures.

Also, if you've got tow hooks you won't need a shackle on that end, but a shackle gives you a few more fixing options on another recovery or stricken vehicle, say if their recovery point is an eye as opposed to a hook.

Wish I had a fokken Jeep Honcho m8s. Just got my Pathfinder all fixed up so can't complain.

Cool, thanks for the help fellas. I've been considering an on board air compressor. Do you have any recommendations for mounting one in the bed?

Yeah. You can't do it unless you use part of the engine to power it. Unless you run like two deep cycles. There are some that uses a clutch fan attachment to let you cycle the compressor but having one that's more than 1 gallon in the bed is difficult. Normally always in the engine bay which are good enough for pumping up and airing down (only)

I've been trying to rig up a 5 gallon for the past few weeks and nothing short of a dual battery system will be able to support the massive draw.

I've thought about doing an onboard compressor too, but unless you're having it fill a reservoir I wouldn't worry about it. I'd look at getting one of the generic "160L/m" 60mm bore units off eBay with a set of alligator clips to connect to your battery.
If you wanted to hardwire it, I'd use a decent 8 guage cable with a 60amp inline fuse. I mounted my last one inside a toolbox I permanently mounted in the tray of my Landcruiser where I could open the box, plug the hose in and turn it on. Honestly though, it wasn't any real advantage over opening the hood and attatching to your battery, unless you have a previously mentioned reservoir.

post land cruiser

Nice hobby. Too bad in 10 years this will be illegal as self driving cars take ovrr.

even this shitposting bleeds into /org/
go away faggot

>infrastructure of self driving cars in rural areas
>bullethole stop signs and destroyed gravel / dirt roads
>muh roads
what are you even doing on /org/?

>a fire up the whirling engine responding with a roar
>tyres spitting gravel i commit my weekly crime
what are you even doing on Veeky Forums?

I'm just as mad as you are. You think I want my freedom stepped on?

u wot

no steppe on o

thank. and i won't. and also i wish i could help with your LC but i can't.

>yfw Yamaha and Yanmar still market a marinised Toyota 1HD rated at 315hp
My body is ready
Can't say I've got any in digital format these days. Just looked like any typical ragged out J75 pickup.

And in twin cam "FTE" form
>all my erections

nice
what engine?

A slow one.

well of course
the thing looks like a church on wheels

And also a sidevalve 4 cylinder

>bogged thread recovery

I chuckled
I mean, it hurts... but I chuckled

L400s are a fetish of mine

>australia talking shit
now that’s funny

man i wish north america got some really good offroad vans. saw a 4x4 mercedes sprinter in europe which was amazing

>I mean, it hurts... but I chuckled
Heh, as a proud Montero owner, I don't mind having a laugh either.

A "culture" built off banter and shit talking. Have another.

rip suzuki north america

lots of hiking/car camping trips around the Ozarks. It will see trails a few times a year in CO, but for the time being it is my daily driver (RIP in peace 2000 GMC Jimmy SLE) and a work truck. never do any crawling, but I've been on the search for some more difficult and exciting trail riding. a few off road parks i need to check out.

just got new shoes (265/70/r17 falken wildpeak at3w), sliders should come next. on stock bilstein 4600s (?) currently. 2011 trd sport; i hit 70k miles on the test drive, i bought two months ago. thinking about finding some cheap 4600s or fox takeoffs from tacomaworld just to refresh the suspension. don't want to dump the dough on all new set up quite yet, but figure for around $300 i can spruce things up a bit.

a rear locker is on the list as well...

or none of those things and i trade it in two years from now for an OR and work from there.

get the fuck off my general you communist faggot.

0-60...maybe

Are most trucks down there traytops? What is the most popular truck in Aus anyway?

Most work vehicles are tray tops, while most of the recreational purposed pickups are usually style side with a few purpose built alloy trade bodies. Most common trucks here are your typical midsize pickups like Hilux, Navara/Frontier, Triton/L200, Ranger, Colorado and so on, usually in dual cab config.

how much are the fj40 pickup vehicles ther?

hey Mt. Faggot
what are some good direct injection engines to build if i have a 60 series frame and axle? thinking of putting a no-electronic heavy build for an autistic dreamer friend of mine without using autistic VW direct injection engines because... well ya know

They're about half the price than they are in North America, but they're a lot more common here and aren't quite the obscure collectors items they are across the Pacific. Having said that in the last 5-10 years values have been slowly gathering momentum. Gone are the days where you'll find a reasonably good condition good runner for $3-4k, something like that would be closer to $7-8k now where immaculate restoration examples here can push $15-$20 asking price (although I don't think they actually sell for $20). Diesel HJs and especially BJs are a lot more desirable but most folk will find a gas FJ in good condition and gut the 5 speed diesel H50F/2H drivetrain from a later model donar HJ60.
If you have access to a 12H-T, then that! But if I was in North America I'd look at importing a 13B-T (the industrial version of Toyota's B-series diesel, not the rotary :P). It'd all bolt up to Toyota gearbox and I have a feeling various Toyota engine mounts can be mixed to suit the J60s.
Depending on the gearbox you want to use or if adapting to the factory H50F is possible, something like an Isuzu 4BD1 Cummins 4B-T would be a sound bet.

What's so good about the over volume and underpowered 12H-T?? Isuzu 4B is a good bet and is the Cummins 4BT really turbodiesel? Aren't those also really damn heavy?

>What's so good about the over volume and underpowered 12H-T?
You're reading too far into peak factory outputs. A little fettling with the waste gate and fuelling, and the peak factory output becomes arbitrary.
The 3.9ish litre motors are heavy, but not much more than the standard cast iron sixes in the J60s.
Still, I think a 13B-T is your best bet. They came in a heap of cab over Toyota Dynas and are still a pretty good buy. Not too heavy, mechanically simple and capable of reasonable power for a J60.

Why not a GM 6.5? It might not be direct injection, but it has a lot to offer the Landcruiser platform.

Also, keep in mind the 12H-Ts 130ish horsepower is on par with the 1/3rd bigger Cummins 6B-T 12V equivalent's 180-200hp depending application.
There isn't really anything "over volume and underpowered" about the Toyota six.

>not calling your thread /out/o/

You guys might be able to help me put with this, I have a 2003 Durango as a shitbox I drive to work to keep miles off my rx7, it needs tires soon and k must confess I'm a tire brainlet, especially when it comes to truck tires.
What type of tire should I be looking at? This truck will need to be good in very adverse conditions such as deep snow and heavy rain. I don't do much real offroading however.

>Diesel HJs and especially BJs are a lot more desirable but most folk will find a gas FJ in good condition and gut the 5 speed diesel H50F/2H drivetrain from a later model donar HJ60.

All my utes have been gasoline for the fact that no one wants them and they are about 20%-40% cheaper than a similar shape diesel. Usually I set out looking for a diesel but the inner Jew shows me how many liters of fuel a few thousands of dollars can buy. And something always breaks after the first month that didn't show up beforehand and gasoline parts are cheaper.

You're a dumbass. Just buy whatever's on there already. Retard.

Who here 3WD?

Typically how hard is it to replace spark plugs? I've done oil and filter but I've never done a spark plug job before...

Fuck off crow

07 silverado 155k over all clean truck, is it worth 9k? What kind of problems might I run into with something like this? I'm gonna DD it,and occasionally go off-road. Any help would be appreciated.

What?

Kill yourself

That's what a dealer should get for it. But private party sale should be around $7000. At least where I'm from.

How are recent year trucks for off roading? Ive got a ecoboost with the 4x4 and a rear locking diff I bought to tow around a trailer and I'm looking to get into more remote camping. Not interested in any sort of crazy mudding rather ~1 week long camping trips for me and the doggo. Ive seen lots of stuff online about how trucks suck, buy a cj for any off roading but that seems silly. Are you really that limited by the curb weight/wheel base?

Accept it you troglodyte

You'll be fine, just remember its size and you won't have a problem.

Depends how much rain and where you go that compiles rain. I'd say get a pair of KO2s or Duratracs or MTs for ease. They don't wear as hard as regular offroad tyres so that could work for your purposes. If you don't live near paved roads, you can consider studded or chaining your tyres.

It could be worth 9k. Depends on the engine and transfer case. Wee need specifics bls.

Rear locking diff will be good enough. As long as you're not climbing over stupid rocks. Just keep going in 2WD until you can't go anymore. Then engage 4WD-L to get out of sticky situations (or engage in 4WD-H if it's especially muddy that time of the week).

Remember to stay within your grasp and maybe invest in a hi-lift jack / traction aids. It's worth the $50-$100 and can be useful around the campsite as well.

its fucking massive with a long wheel base so dont expect to be doing anything too serious. that said, if you just have plans for forest service roads and lighter shit like that then you will have no problems.

Can you even get newish vehicles good for offroading? Seems like all that exists are pigfat safety vehicles used to get your kids to soccer practice

>Just keep going in 2WD until you can't go anymore. Then engage 4WD-L to get out of sticky situations
This is fine in purpose built 4x4 parks that receive regular maintenance, but you have to stop preaching that approach in national parks and public spaces. The rest of your post is bang on.
There's heaps of capable offroaders on the new market. Looking like soccer mom vehicles doesn't make them less capable.

Im poor but going innawoods next week. Can I hang out here?