Is drifting cool or gay?

I used to think that drifting was dumb. A sport for ricers and JDM wannabe fags. Now that more domestic V8's are joining the sport I'm starting to get more interested. Example. youtu.be/IH_mrio40Ms

So what u guys think? Is it cool to be like Ken block?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI
youtube.com/watch?v=ECfaxsaf4Po#t=87
youtube.com/watch?v=ooBJ2Z2sZvo
youtube.com/watch?v=2jCcwZ8_gbE
youtube.com/watch?v=k-37DAmDqCY
youtube.com/watch?v=vzXJwiWsvNE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>drifting was dumb

drifting is screwed up from the beginning, making a sport out of spinning wheels & burning rubber

totally dumb

It's a gay sport but a fun thing to do on backroads

99% of fucking top level drifters use domestic V8s and its lame as hell

drifting is cool at the grassroots level and for fun

it gets real lame real fast when it starts to be taken too seriously and everyone has 700+hp v8s for competitions

holy shit
you're actually right for once

amateur drift events are super fun and chill but the assholes who take it too seriously are awful. same at autocross or any other grassroots racing thing

no more retarded than skateboarding or figure skating

>tripfag makes a good post

brb killing myself to check if hell is frozen over

the instant you turn it into a competition, it starts being really fucking embarrassing and dumb
sick skids are still fun

those sports use their equipment as it was designed for

only drifting takes an expensive high quality machine and calls it a sport to destroy them doing stupid shit

ah yes, a 2013 mustang that someone twin turbo'd up to 1200hp on as small a budget as possible is a high quality machine
better still, a 1997 240sx they dropped a crate motor into and gave the biggest turbo possible

Destroys what? The tires? A wear item? Nothing else is *guaranteed* to break.

Drifting is cool.
Powerskidding is gay.

It's just a shame that 90% of what passes for "drifting" nowadays is just big dirty powerskids.

that's why japan tried to fight the power battle for so so long but then they gave in and now japanese drifters use 800hp rx7

It's all that damn Ken Nomura's fault.... he just looked so damn cool in his 4dr R34 pumping huge clouds of smoke out the back!
(at least to my 13 year old eyes)

Drifting is fun, but it's not a good sport.

It's pretty hard to surpass skateboarding and figure skating in terms of retardation - what did you mean by your post?

Dumping more race-drifts from a time before Aero fucked everything up.

Drifting is to motorsports what figure skating is to ice hockey

>going around a track and ripping your handbrake
gay
>clutch kicking down a mountain pass
cool

>clutch kicking
>DOWN a mountain pass
-t. someone who's never drifted a mountain pass before

racing cars in general is dumb, waste of gas and tires.

US drifting being more about high HP & power sliding then anything is shit.

Jap guys are doing it slightly better by relying on inertia more than on HP.

Anyways it's kind of dumb comparing to what rallye-drivers are doing.

Goddamn the Lancia is a sexy car

Same here back in the day I thought it was lame because of FF association and I didn't like the style of the cars. I have become a bit of a fan over the past year or so. Not very impressed by that big engine powersliding around a parking lot though.

>powersliding
weak
>ebraking
weak
>clutch kicking
weak
>scandinavian flick
badass

Care to explain? What's the difference beetween a clutch dump and usign the e-brake?

In your own time, cool.

>figure skating
>gay

What are you people smoking? Its really beautiful and skillful sport. If you fags are salty about the scoring system, then ignore it and enjoy the amazing displays.

youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

You´re welcome.

On the downhill accumulating speed is a real problem - you can't just rip powerskids everywhere.
So there's only 2 ways to drift:
>learn to brake and heel toe properly and do braking drifts like a pro
or
>coast the straights and do massive arse drags everywhere (including mid corner when you get too much speed) like a shit cunt

Most drifters I've seen IRL here in Aus, or around the world in videos, either only drift the uphill or chose option B.

Could you run that by me one more time

This is not drifting but saudi style burnouts.

youtube.com/watch?v=ECfaxsaf4Po#t=87

I guess he just buys another car every session

What a coward, didn't hit rev limiter even once, would probably bend all the pushrods in that thing anyways.

/thread

Fucking Christ, how were all old rally drivers so fucking good at driving, especially those literal death-traps.

hah know this car and it looks so different now. All the drift cats dude are very cool and pretty damn good. it looks like pic related nowadays. powered by some Ford V8

It doesn't take too much practice to be able to do that, especially when you learn in light old shitbox FR cars on dirt roads - you can learn the dynamics of weight shift and slip angle all at a comfortable pace of

Its fun as hell.

Perhaps.
But still, them doing all of those sick powerskids in an MR monster that probably only wants to snap oversteer looking like they're not even trying makes me feel like a complete shitter.
Especially since at that time, safety really wasn't at the top, but they still managed to pull off such moves.
Balls of steel basically.

Well I've found that the best way to learn is in an old FR manual 4 banger on dirt roads, it's really easy to get a feel for how sliding works and you don't even have to be going fast to do it!
And if you make a mistake? You'll probably just end up in a bush.

Now consider that back in the 70s there were a lot more dirt roads and less people driving on them, and the police were more relaxed about hoons.... then consider almost all cars were dirty old FR manuals with leaf suspension etc - you can see how it was easy for them to learn how to rally drive.

The fuck is it with burgers just ripping the hydro 24/7. They all rely on it so fucking much it's annoying to watch. Most of them have such a shit power oversteer and e-brake drift style compared to the Japs inertia and weight transfer style

found the closet homosexuals

its ok guys you can go lurk a trap thread, no ones gonna know

Compelling argument friend.

Keep Drifting Fun's whole ideology was exactly this; the more drifting becomes like a motorsport, the worse it gets.

I mean, the final of some D1GP battle last season was Mad Mike's 1200hp FD vs some S15 with no sponsors and only bolt on modifications.

That car has been set up to suit the driver's style and he had a lot of practice. It helps that overall speeds were lower, the tyres used at the time had less grip and the transition between grip and slide was smooth and predictable.
These cars:
probably had crossply tyres on, which have lower grip than radials but are very easy to slide around on. Road cars at the time would slide around too youtube.com/watch?v=ooBJ2Z2sZvo

Drifting is fun to do at a grassroots level. The top dollar guys are cool to watch but that's about it. Nothing is more fun than packing up 24 tires in the back of a KEI truck, having a small convoy of friends up to a track, and drifting the balls off of a shitty stock Skyline that you don't really care about for a week straight, sleeping in a cabin and drinking whiskey every night.

#
Someone told me that flick entries were an illegal move in the US for competition and that's why the handbrake is used. It's a really fucking stupid thing if you ask me.

it's for dumbass gronks

>vs some S15 with no sponsors and only bolt on modifications.

yeah it was a privateer driver, dudes pretty damn good too. Still has the SR20 with mild modifications Pic related is the car you are speaking of

It's as boring as ballet - and ballet is better only because it has proper music to it. Otherwise it'd strike me as surprising anyone would consider it as anything but a faggot sport - even if it's the figureskaters themselves
Not as gay as team based sports which are also heavily cucked tho

Snow drifting is where it's at

t. someone who has never been in a drift car.

youtube.com/watch?v=2jCcwZ8_gbE

I thought the same till I got a ride in a car drifting on dry pavement. Trust me. faster, louder, way more fun.

snow "drifting" is slow and boring.

youtube.com/watch?v=k-37DAmDqCY

>snow "drifting" is slow and boring
But it's good for learning

It's dumb as shit and drowning in poorfags.
Any motorsport that is based on judges opinions is fucking retarded.

Totally agree
It's also because I want that balance and smooth cruising of a straight six

I think figureskating is cool and deserves more recognition. It's damn impressive since I can still only shuffle on the ice.

Sure, proper dry pavement drifting is a hell of a lot of fun.

However, snow drifting is a lot more accessible and easier to get away with. Also, it's about the only thing some of us can do for half the year.

Drifting is dressage but with cars

Drifting under 500hp is cool and fun.

You can drift anything. Competition level drifting is dumb but A Thing That Makes Money.

Grassroots drifting is very fun and cool and the ppl about that life tend to crash their cars a lot, aren't rich and end up learning how to fix things themselves.

Ppl that hate on drifting and obsess over racing for time are usually poor cucks that don't realize there will always be a faster car or driver and all they care about is getting 1st place. Basically their final form is the bench racing faggot posting Chevy/GTR BTFO memes on this forum instead of getting any real track time or even competing against cars in their class because they'd get dumped in the grass on their first attempt to pass.

Stop looking at it like a sport.

Nobody that skateboards gives a fuck about the Xgames. Drifting is a lot like that. Its about fun and seeing what you can make the car do other than get from point A to point B as fast as possible.

Drifters appreciate driving and experimentation.

If you like drifting AND racing then you should get into rally. Drifters tend to not care about being in 1st place and would rather go in circles at their own pace. Sure there are a lot of bros that blow vape clouds and are in it to feel validated for being a part of a scene but who actually fucking cares lol

Drifting culture is cool, drifting as an activity is from meh to cringe

youtube.com/watch?v=vzXJwiWsvNE

Depends on how you do it.

Drift as a technique is cool. Drift without the use of the handbrake, that is cool. Shit like on ambush drift? That is not cool.

Clutch kicking owns

super gay

Otherway around. Drifting culture is lame but actual drifting on an actual track is super fun, more fun than time attack etc

Also in the 70s if you could outdrift and outrun the cops they wouldn't chase and you'd be fine. Now radios fuck you.

eh debatable. you have very little grip on snow.

true

>powered by some Ford V8
>Not a GM LS
And I thought you said those guys were cool

With good enough winter or studded winter tires you have enough grip to do anything useful and be able to lose it when you want to go sideways.