/scg/edg/ Star Citizen Elite Dangerous general #179

buy back token edition

>ED info:
pastebin.com/zEufftYe
Be aware, Thargs are currently grabbing ships out of witchspace and giving out complementary rectal probings, it is advised you shoot the fuck out of them whenever possible, or just go with it if that's your thing, I ain't tellin you how to live. Apparently the Ayylmaos are rumbling again, inquire within if this means goddamned thing or if its just Braben trying to scare up some more money.

announcement vid /w contribution from our lord braben: youtube.com/watch?v=PX49v8zYutI

youtube.com/watch?v=jmVEYZnDZf8

>Frontier Official YT
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos

3.0 Scheduled for release on or about June 29th make that July 12th, stand by for further delays in two weeks.

>newFAQs
pastebin.com/pmUsuxhf

>Star Citizen Official YT
youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA

>Other games:
pastebin.com/cugkem8w

Above is a pastebin of games you can play while waiting for SC and E:D to become playable.

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/8ZSHP
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stop letting the thread die!

star citizen is the future of gaming, it's going to completely revive it, you watch you dirty kikes

can someone summarize the last 2 years of star citizen development?
I follow it in the most cursory manner but it's been getting harder and harder to find an objective summary of the situation
everyone is a retarded fanboy or something

Waiting for 3.0. Thats it. Many delays but now it seems like its coming to a close.

You guys plan on using your buyback tokens?

planet landings yet?

Backers continue to wait for Chris to split the waters and lead his chosen people to the promised land.

6+ month delays on anything tangible

Yes.

there's no hope for this thread

>ED server maintenance
fug, I got kicked while is hyperspace, if I end up in a star I'll be upset
also rip my missions, if the downtime is 5h, then most of them will be gone

Rip your missions but not you. You'll just spawn either where you initiated the jump or floating where you would've ended up.

Hey can someone spoonfeed me please?

I haven't played Elite Dangerous since before Horizons released whenever that was.

Seems(on the surface) like there's been a lot added to the game, is any of it good?

Is it worth getting back into at all?

What are some of the update highlights?

Is it still shit to make any dosh?

>Seems(on the surface) like there's been a lot added to the game, is any of it good?
They have introduced various quality of life improvements, some of them good. YMMV

>Is it worth getting back into at all?
If you want to play the BGS, roleplay, not play just for the grind then maybe yeah.

>What are some of the update highlights?
Bugfixes and ayyyyyys if you care about them

>Is it still shit to make any dosh?
Almost all of the exploits have now been fixed.

So you're talking about 2015-2017. Here's my summary starting from around this time of year 24 months ago.

They released the social module, which is basically one level which would eventually serve as a planetside hub that you walk around and socialize in. This level looked decent but was devoid of any gameplay other than talking to other players.

The biggest thing to happen by far in the last two years was the release of Alpha 2.0, also known as the "Baby Persistent Universe", or simply Crusader (which is the single planet present in the zone). For the first time in the history of the alpha, you had a genuine space sim environment where you could warp to different locations and complete a few missions. They then released a number of updates to the Baby P.U. including new ships, weapons, armor, clothing, balance passes, and a new location.

Well before the release of Alpha 2.0, they had contracted the studio Illfonic to create the First Person Shooter module called Star Marine, as well as lay the foundation of Star Citizen's FPS mechanics in general. However, due to miscommunication and a lack of production oversight on the part of Cloud Imperium Games, Illfonic developed Star Marine using the wrong metrics and thus their work was largely incompatible with the rest of the game CIG had already been building. As a result, Illfonic was dropped and CIG brought development of Star Marine in-house, and had to start from scratch in many respects. This lead to a huge delay, but Star Marine eventually released as part of Alpha 2.6 (it was originally intended to come out before Alpha 2.0).

(Continued)

Since the release of 2.6, there have been a few smaller patches, but most development has centered on the upcoming Alpha 3.0 which will add three fully explorable moons and one moon-sized asteroid, cargo hauling and the first stages of a simulated economy, new missions, character customization, and new ships, weapons, and armor to Crusader. It was originally supposed to come out by the end of last year and feature an entire solar system, but it was delayed and scaled back in terms of scope.

>15 posts
>page 10

gg wp

>Seems(on the surface) like there's been a lot added to the game, is any of it good?
No. In fact, most of it is still fairly broken or downright pointless.

It has never been worth getting into and that remains the case.

The ayys, but even that's being dragged out and hasn't had any real value or effect on anything.

Yes. It will never NOT be shit to make money because the game's travel mechanics are hot fucking garbage, but everything relies on travel, so...

Pretty cool link over on reddit.

imgur.com/a/8ZSHP
I havent really kept up with the infantry weapons, so maybe thats all or maybe its not.

Can some one give me a quick rundown on Elite?
Haven't played since they released co-pilot thing.
Where is the game heading, what is the next update about and is it SOON™?

Next update is The Return. Ayys come back, more QUALITY FDev story-telling and they're supposedly going to focus on a lot of QoL features. It's slated for later this year. Expect disappointment.

So it bounty hunting grinding still the best way to make money?

Quince > Millerport > Surface scan missions.

The thread doesnt really have the right to live until. ED becomes fun or SC get's the 3.0 it deserves.

So never

kill me

>right to live.
Fuck off your arbitration complex.

I think they may have killed board flipping.

Doesnt really matter what any of us believes anyway.

This is going to stay /Erectile Dysfunction/Shitposting Community General/ until something actually happens with these two games.

It doesnt matter if we talk about the games or not.
Everything in SC is going to end up totally different than what we expect if "insert feature" even make it into the game.

So far they are just downplaying or straight out scrapping most of what that they promised in 2014.

PS. ED is still unfun as hell and only works as a space grinder with a decsent VR support.

3.0 is going to be a disappointment. The general will probably have content for a month, but after that people are going to stop caring.
Is 4.0 going to be the last major content update? How many major content updates are we getting?

3.0 will probably be pretty good.

But people are still going to be disappointed. Partly from CIGs promises, and partly from their own ridiculous hype-fueled expectations. It was a mistake for CIG to wait this long. They need to do smaller, more frequent patches.

Maybe just save main mechanics like mining, farming, etc. for big patches.

The moons will be cool... tech demos. There won't be much to do on them.
The PU isn't getting much as far as network optimization, so performance should stay relatively the same (poor) performance
why will 3.0 be particularly good, apart from being an interesting tech demo?

Since CIG said they wanted to give us 2-3 "major" releases this year, we can maybe expect 1 half release, something like a stripped down 3.0.

They will tell us at CitizenCon that SQ42 and 3.1 is just around the corner and mention theyare talking about weeks, not months, but it will be at least February until we get some of the content that were said to be in 3.0.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS PULLED STRAIGHT OUT OF MY ASS,
but so far the statistics seems to back it up to some degree taking last years CitizenCon in mind.

>The PU isn't getting much as far as network optimization
This stupid-ass meme needs to die. We're getting loads of network optimizations

3.0 will only be a test to see if the tech holds up.
3.0 wont introduce anything new to play with.
We already have mission givers to some degree and landing on planets is going to become old after a very short while, but the tech is important to make the world feel seemless.

Hopefully 3.0 will be stable and let CIG release some huge content patches right after.

>3.0 wont introduce anything new to play with.
We're getting cargo runs, m8.

3.0 comes out and Star Citizen literally has feature parity with ED.

I've only heard that performance is expected to stay more or less the same, optimizations just keeping up with increased demand for network performance.
I wonder what they're going to show at citizencon to keep the hype train going. citcon 2016's presentation was pretty fucking sick but a year has passed and the content still is delivered. Not sure if they can pull citizencon 16 off again.

>I've only heard that performance is expected to stay more or less the same, optimizations just keeping up with increased demand for network performance.
That maybe the case. I haven't played it and we haven't gotten any "real" footage yet, so it's hard to say.

Still, there are quite a few network optimizations in 3.0.

>we haven't gotten any "real" footage yet
Why the fuck haven't we?
That has been a major gripe for me with Star Citizen for a while now.
They never actually show us the fucking build, they just show is snippets and bits and pieces and 2 second clips here and there in AtV

I wish they'd just spend happy hour playing through some of the latest build, instead of the garbage we usually get.

Would make it worth watching.
I don't know why CIG laud themselves as "unprecedented open development" when 3.0 has been in development for months yet we have seen literally nothing as far as uncut gameplay goes.
AtV isn't even worth watching.

>hyped for cargo runs
Are you Korean?

There are 1000s of other time consuming things to introduce that I'm sure is more fun than fucking cargo runs.

>Feature parity with one of the games with least features
Great job

>I don't like it so they should do other things instead!
Keep crying faggot.

>take assassination mission
>go to target's system
>get message from mission-giver
>"Go meet our agent in this other system so they can give you info about the target"
>go
>get there
>drop in to agent's area
>"Yeah, the target? He's back in that system you just came from"
>this nigger didn't even have NEW info like the planet he's closest to

so they got a whole year to optimize the network (even more) and didnt even do it? where did you hear that?

>strawman: the post

3.1 /3.2/3.3/... will add all the rest of the promised gameplay elements and 4.0 is just more missions locations and a new star system.there's also squadron 42 ep 1 which should be available before 4.0

Come back around August 11th

except star citizen is fun

How can something that doesn't exist be fun?

it was real in my mind

Despite the constant negative press tumbril

the also lost their outsorced environment art team end of December, so they propably still deal with that setback and hire inhouse artists (seen in Cut landingzones from 3.0)

don't fucking die again

bump

Planetside server smart tokens ?

I JUST WANT TO DRIVE MY BIKE AROUND ON PLANETS

I DON'T EVEN CARE IF THERE'S CONTENT

Sort of. There's been a lot of QoL upgrades, and Horizons has added planetary landings, Engineers (upgrade your ship modules), ship-launched fighters, and multicrew. All in all, there's been a decent amount of stuff added, the problem is that there's still nothing much in the way of impactful gameplay that doesn't feel grindy.
At this point, I usually just play for a few weeks after each major update, then get bored again until the next one.
Alien gameplay is coming up next, but it remains to be seen whether or not it will be any good. Given that we're talking about FDev, it probably won't be interesting enough to hold anyone's attention for more than a little while.
As far as I know, most of the old money-making tricks have been fixed, so you pretty much have to play the game "as intended" to make any serious cheddar.

After the alien update (2.4), FDev has said they're planning to focus on improving QoL and fleshing out the core gameplay experience. No idea what exactly that will entail, or if it will be any good.

>Sort of. There's been a lot of QoL upgrades, and Horizons has added planetary landings, Engineers (upgrade your ship modules), ship-launched fighters, and multicrew. All in all, there's been a decent amount of stuff added, the problem is that there's still nothing much in the way of impactful gameplay that doesn't feel grindy.
>oh shit, CIG is actually starting to make a game
>I guess we better stop being lazy cunts

I sure fucking hope so. I don't care which one of these games becomes fun and good, I just want at least one of them to succeed.
inb4 >either of them ever becoming good

How do you have fun in Elite Dangerous?

Serious question here. Its pretty and atmospheric and all, but what actual gameplay is there? I've been trying to find it for some hours now, no luck. Does it get better as you upgrade your ships/ get longer range? Or is it just a grindfest, and nothing more?

Elite Dangerous is the game of watching loading screens. Traveling isn't about how long it takes to get there, but how many loading screens you'll have to see.

Any fun you find is fun you've made for yourself.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll just stick to X Rebirth until SC comes out. I've gotten back to it recently for the first time after the launch fiasco, and so far it actually seems playable, even fun in an arcade-y kind of way.

It's here.

Egosoft is great about patching their games for years after they release them until they get it "right". Loved the X3 terran conflict and albion prelude games.

Can I exchange my Mustang Alpha which was from an Aurora MR pledge? Fuck the mustang.

How do these work? Do I care about them if I've never melted anything down for store credit?

>QoL
aka no new content just minor bug fixes

I want some new fucking ships. I was autistic enough to grind King/Admiral ranks, where are rewards for that?

I'm hoping for my own "executive control" megafreighter mobile base/hangar. Or my own frigate.

no you dont.

I think it's the "Panther Clipper" ship that still has yet to be added. Not sure if it's coming in 2.4 or not, though. I doubt it is.

>Panther Clipper
>In previous iterations of the design, the craft was one of the largest vessels in the spaceways in terms of trading, significantly larger than the Anaconda, and alleged to buy entire planets out of cargo.

I'm ready

Panther Clipper's thing was that it was the largest ship that could go through the mailslot on the standard space station. It wasn't the largest freighter, those were the "Long Range Cruisers" and the "Lynx Bulk Freighter" which were much, much larger but relied on small craft to transfer cargo.

>previous iterations
Still has to fit thru the mail slot and on a large landing pad, so it won't be that big.

Type-9 is half the length of an Anaconda, Anaconda is half the width of the Type-9. Could make a ship that's 4x the volume of either by making a ship as long and wide as both.

You need to recheck your math.

>volume

Ships are fine.
But for now, i'd like to have some variety, in the SRV department.
Like some modules, or completly new vehicle...

I think they said that's not going to happen for some time. I like how they sell DLC then actively neglect it. SRVs don't even have multi-crew functionality.

Post ships unless you are afraid of being bullied.

Nice jpegs.

If an Anaconda is twice the length of a Type 9, but half the width, and you make a ship the same length as an Anaconda, and twice as wide to match a Type 9, then you've doubled an Anaconda, not quadrupled it.

wrong

Aurora LN
Mustang Alpha
Dragonfly
Nox x3
Nox Kue
Cutlass Black

Thinking about upgrading one of those Noxes to an Aquila, or maybe a Caterpillar at some point.

Retaliator Bomber
Merlin

roast me

Whats the merlin for?

Sure, kid.

Heck off its the default save thing for the snipper tool on windows

r8.

>a polaris, a starfarer, and a hull E
mad man

>polaris
manlet ship

I don't like the idris, Obviously If I wanted one I'd have it. I do lust after a Javelin, but DESU, I dont want to sink all my cash into one hull and I've spent about all I want to on SC.

GIVE ME A DEDICATED GUNBOAT CHRIS. ENOUGH WITH THE POCKET CARRIER AUTISM BULLSHIT!!!!!1

>I've spent about all I want to on SC
I get you on that one. The polaris is cool I just hope it gets a bit longer or something.

fun plinking at people and being annoying sicne i really cant kill them.

sell the package and buy it back, the upgrade will not be attached when you buy it back

only ship you'll ever need in this game

Um, no sweetie.

So I've actually gotten back into Elite Dangerous for some stupid ass reason, and I've been trying to change my UI colors, but the edit shit just isn't working. Did some shit change since that stuff was made?