Miata upgrade

Hi Veeky Forums what is in your opinion the best step up from a miata? something along the lines (lightweight, 2 seats, rwd, preferably convertible) but faster and "nicer" ?

Could it be 987 boxter?

or perhaps 370z roadster?
(yes it's pigfat but other than that it ticks the right boxes)

S2K or Z4

Somebody down the road has the cutest little Lotus that always make me drool and yearn. I don't know if it's all that or not but it looks like it might be small and light enough to have roadster feels in a sports car package.

>370z
very outdated, and it is about to be discontinued. No replacement of it due to very poor sales.

>Z4
I hate BMW drivers' aura, but I have to agree some Z4s look nice... still
>S2K no added value except speed, I'd rather get ND miata
now that's an interesting choise, I wonder if modern day lotuses are as unreliable as they used to be

boxter or s2k.
S2k is a super serious car compared to miata

What about a 2L ND with some boost?

>I wonder if modern day lotuses are as unreliable as they used to be
does a camry bsigs sound unreliable to you?

If you have the money for repairs then the z4

It does everything the miata does, but marginally better

Poor sales? I see these everywhere

ND is obviously good choice, reliable, fast enough, light, small etc

The ND is damn close to the S2K but without the meme redline and fucky suspension that makes the S2K a bitch at the limit. After getting used to the ND's body roll, I couldn't tell you that it feels much different than my old AP1. I miss hitting 9K with the top down in tunnels, tho. ND's engine has fuckall character.

The Boxster is the next logical step up, but the 987 is way outdated and not much faster than a ND. 987.2 is better, and a 981 or 718 is a definitive jump up in speed and luxury, as it should be considering that the pricing on a decently specced-out 718 (a.k.a. the GTS) is getting way too close to six figure territory.

One annoying thing about the 981 and 718, though, is the tall gearing of the 6MT, which means that winding out the engine past first gear will have you breaking most speed limits. Part of what I find to be fun with the ND is wringing out every last RPM and shifting like a maniac. With a modern Boxster, I think I'd rather go with the PDK just for the gearing.

The cars are OK, and the engines they use are bulletproof. I'd love to have an Evora.

not here.
then, where is the replacement of it? Nothing. Do you know that z370 has been here for almost 10 years?

Like the GTR ? kek at nissan

The Z was never designed as a roadster, unlike the Boxster, Miata, Z4, S2000 etc, so it's a floppy mess of a thing.

>ITT we post cars with more power than a Miata

how about power to weight a.k.a. number that actually matters

Who cares about numbers? Numbers are nothing but satanic Jewish death tricks.

Let's talk about how you can put this bushing in or how to adjust the camber or how to tighten the cable to the carb and what to do to make it roar like a beast that obviously beats the +5HP stickers. Why can't cars be about fun anymore?

>only Hp to weight matters

Yeah you would say that with a ratio of something like 80hp/L.

>only HP to weight matters

nobody said that you dumb idiot

That's pretty much exactly what he, or you, said.

>2 litres, 158hp

>thinks saying "p/w matters" is like saying "only p/w matters"
>too dumb to understand simple english sentences
are you by any chance an american?

The only correct answer

Miata first steps
MemeR2 walking

A 987 S is probably your best bet. They drive really well and have plenty of storage space and excellent road manners for daily usage
This may trigger some JDM fankids but flat 6 powered Porsches are very reliable, easily on par with Lexus. That doesn't mean you should neglect them though

b-b-but muh ims

A serious issue, but way overblown. Yes, if it fails it will most likely destroy the engine. However, only a select few years of 986 and 996 had high failure rates (~10%) and they quickly addressed the issue, switching to a more durable bearing in later models. 987s are basically safe, especially if they've got 75k+ miles on them. If it was gonna fail, it'd have done so already.

TL;DR it's a none issue in the current year, unless you're the retard buying a showroom condition 986 for 987 prices

And on 986s it's a $100 part and an easy thing to replace during a clutch job as well.
987s pretty much require a full engine teardown if you want to replace the IMS bearing though.

i'm interested in a 987 S too as a step up from an NC. i really love the look of the 981 but it's a bit out of my price range

interestingly some user here went from a 987 S to a ND RF. clearly the ND is slower but he described the ND as put together better, mainly as some 987s (such as his) are becoming quite dated now

True. Good thing the IMS is a non-issue on 987s
Shit it was even a non-issue on early 986s, you can ask spec racers all about it

Meanwhile with BMW they're still having problems with lol VANOS

Well in general newer cars are going to feel put together better. Things wear out on older cars, but anything that matters like bushings can all be replaced

why not C5, it's pretty light

This, also faster, cheaper, more reliable, better looking, better sounding, and infinitely bigger aftermarket

6lbs/hp is decent, right?

Also a great option, but the interior is Fisher Price tier and the engine'sin the wrong place

Just glue some alkantara on dashboard, easier than adding "boost" to a miata

13b miata

Cobra kit car with a 363 stroker