Ok Veeky Forumstists, I am heading home in my new car and my first manual, I have to make it up hills, across highways...

ok Veeky Forumstists, I am heading home in my new car and my first manual, I have to make it up hills, across highways, and onto a packed ferry on each side and not kill myself, any pro tips? use handbrake on hill starts? I still occasionally stall and I am worried it's gonna be difficult for me to make it back home

> Step 1: Get in the car
> Step 2: Turn it on
> Step 3: Stop being such a damn pussy
> Step 4: ???
> Step 5: Arrive home

It's not that hard.

1. Don't sweat it if you stall
2. Get in gear before corners
3. Use normal brake on hillstarts and be gentle on the clutch
4. Don't sweat it if you stall
5. Bait post
6. I was hungry, so what?

not bait post, just someone who is always worried about fucking things up

Don't you have to learn how to drive cars before you get your license in America?

driving a car and driving a manual is a huge difference, they don't make us learn manual in canada and the united states.

Practice, practice, practice. Also, watch your RPMs. Depending on the car, keep the tach above 1k.

1. Up hills: not as bad as you'd think, just don't worry about it. If your RPMs drop, downshift. If you're stopped on a steep incline, give it a little more gas before you shift into first.
2. Across highways: downshift for more power. It's really not a big deal.
3. Packed ferry: what the fuck

I'd recommend learning how to drive it properly without the handbrake. The more you do it, the easier it is, since you'll just be able to feel it out. I've been driving a manual for over 10 years, and I still forget to pay attention and stall once in a while.

the ferry is my ultimate hell, I can honestly handle the car well at this point, once it's going, shifts are smooth, just moving the car at 2km an hour and move only 2 feet is going to be difficult. thanks for the tips anyway, I know learning manual is mostly bait on this board but you guys can explain things well

Fucking ask someone who knows how to drive to drive you home and pay for their Uber back to their house or work. $20 and your problem is solved.

>just moving the car at 2km an hour and move only 2 feet is going to be difficult
I hate to say it, but you'll probably be riding the clutch until you get a better feel for it. Under 5mph, driving a manual is a huge pain in the ass. Pay attention to where your clutch engagement point is & practice getting the car moving without even hitting the gas.

GAS GAS GAS
Use it more and once you got the hang of it use less and less.

250?

Ok then. I wasn't sure because there have been baitposts before.

Some more tips:
Downshift before overtaking, so you have the power to accelerate and overtake quickly

Don't use 1st gear besides driving away, Driving slow even in 1st is hard to regulate and often jumpy.

2km/h you can do in 2nd and riding the clutch

Try to stay rolling when you get to red lights, so that when you get green you can drive away in 2nd. Rolling slower than walking qualifies

Just accept that you're shit at it. Drive it up and down the driveway or the parking lot or whatever until you can take off with no gas or a minimum of gas.

Then you'll have enough skill with the clutch that yuo can can gas the fuck out of it without a lame peg-leg burnout when you're in a SERIOUS SITUATION. Also take the roads rather than the ferry; the ferry isn't really any faster usually.

The day after I got my first manual car, I decided to take it to work. I avoided the highway and took some back roads. The back roads turned out to have many steep hills - I'm talking grading at 30 degree angles here, with jews riding my bumper waiting for me to roll downhill so they can rake in those sweet insurances gibs. Fortunately, being forced to go on hills a lot took away my anxiety about hill starts.

For hill starts, hold your foot on the brake and release the clutch until you feel it bite. The steeper the hill, the higher up you need to bring the clutch - this is why beginners have such a hard time not stalling on hills. Once you've gotten to the bite point, release the foot brake and start giving it gas. Don't bring your foot off the clutch until you're moving. Easy.

If I were you, I would avoid the highway until you've had at least a month or two of experience driving daily. The reason for this is that you need to be very comfortable with shifting. You really really don't want to do any fuckups like shifting into the wrong gear and blowing your engine or rear ending someone because you didn't downshift or brake properly.

not OP but yes.

ferrys arent too bad, even at the extreme tides you take off from a level surface and should already be fully in gear before you even hit the ramp

>Use normal brake on hillstarts
No

The old Queen of Nanaimo had a really steep internal ramp between decks. I bet low cars would bottom out on that. But yeah the normal ferry ramps aren't bad.

Nice sun rays in that picture.

Just keep driving around your neighborhood practicing. In a few days it'll be second nature and you'll be alright. I always use downshift to slow down. Always remember to throw it in neutral of your gonna stop immediately. When you put it in neutral rock the stick side to side to make sure you're not in a gear.

I was an mp for a long time and overseas people would have to learn stick on the patrol vehicles without having ever driven manual in their life. By the end of a 12 hour shift they'd be fine.

I've never bottomed out on the ramps with my truck but my friend has a longbox that is 1" lower all around and it cant even leave the island unless the tides are just right

sadly I have no choice since I live on a literal island, vancouver island specifically
yep, but I am going to drive more today and attempt to get hillstarts right, those are the worst, I think I just have to squeal the tires, especially in the rain, if I don't wanna roll back. no subtlety yet.

I used to squeal the tires sometimes when I was learning. One time the cat was sitting in the middle of the driveway and wouldn't move so I could pull in. By happy coincidence I managed to squeal the tires coming to a stop to avoid running the cat over, and this scared the cat off the driveway.

As an additional positive, my dad was watching and he seemed to think I had cleverly scared the cat out of the way rather than that I was just being a mess with the clutch.

Hold the ebrake and give the car gas. Give it a few higher revs than normal and let off the clutch slowly. When the clutch bites and the car starts moving, let off the ebrake.

I've heard mixed remarks. in this thread even, about using ebrake, some people say you need to learn without it. but maybe it's a good idea to learn exactly where the clutch bites

Yeah getting used to where it bites by muscle memory is important. One neat trick is to see if you can use the clutch alone to get the car moving. So don't touch the gas at all, but let the clutch out slowly enough that you can let the car idle forward with no feet on any pedals without stalling it.

This is easier to do on some vehicles than others, but the main idea is to feel out where the bite point is and to develop enough finesse to ride it.

I'm talking about hills. Why wouldn't you use the ebrake?

On flat ground you don't need it. Finding the bite point takes from practice, but my advice is to let off the clutch as slow as possible. Go to a parking lot or somewhere you won't be afraid to stall out. The key is to have smooth movements.

This is really useful to learn when you need to pull into a parking spot or reverse out of one.

in the car I am using (suzuki esteem wagon) I seem to be able to back up on a flat place with no use of the gas, and that helps to get used to the bite, but forward I definitely need to use gas. btw, that little wagon is actually a really fun car, it's super light for it's size so the mediocre 100 or so hp feels fast, it feels like it has a lot of torque and the steering is linear

This man comes to us for help and you post the dumbest shit your could think of. Fucking retard

OP here, it's ok, I expect those replies, this is Veeky Forums, at least he's not posting GTR vs corvette laptimes.

Not using the E-brake is basically chancing your luck on hill starts.
If you had a test for that you'd be walking home.
Handbrake. Clutch and throttle to bite, continue through with the clutch until sufficient forward momentum is achieved in order to fully release it and then apply throttle.

1980 something driving test.

Oh yeah, ditch the handbrake as soon as you're moving in the desired direction.
Durr.

>never downshift to 1st, shift to 2nd as soon as possible. Only use 1st to start, get in a garage or other tight spot, and to parallel park
>do not panic if you stall
>don't worry too much about rev matching. It's a street car, driven on regular public roads, you don't need to be very precise, pay more attention to what's arround you than your tacho. You're not in a race car, you're not in a truck, you're not on a track, you can shift pretty much any time when you're between 1000 revs and the redline
>start with handbreak for hillstarts, when you get used to dealing with the clutch, start to use your regular brakes and ease the car in with the throttle. Practice somewhere that isn't too steep
>stay in a lower gear when inserting yourself into faster traffic on the highway (3rd can usually work)
>stay on your lane at first, don't try to overtake until you've really got your gear/speed ratio down and know how much acceleration you get from each gear
>don't look at your gear lever, force yourself to remember what gear you're in or recognize it by the position of the lever if you forget (also if your car is new, chances are it might be displayed on your dash, as well as info on when to shift up or down)
>do NOT try to "draw" the trajectory from one position to the other, you will probably shoot too fast and fail. THink more in straight line. Instead of going up-right-up for instance, get a simple straight diagonal line. If you really are dealing with an older car, this might not work but modern cars will have very smooth levers most of the time so doing movements too angular will not work
>do not try to shift two gears at once, you might be tempted to downshift from fifth to third or fourth to second when leaving a high-speed road to (typically) a twisting exit. You can do that later but it's really not a good idea at first

That's fucked. Here, if you take the test in an automatic you're not allowed to drive cars with manual transmissions.

I live near a UK university.
Foreign students hire manual cars (UK little hatch back things) and really, really have no idea how to operate them.
It's funny until someone gets hurt.