/fag/ - French Auto General

tfw no comfy 4L edition

>Post (your) /fag/gy cars
>Discuss /fag/gy cars

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iTxKRP-U31I
books.google.pt/books?id=XCYvDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA137&lpg=PA137#v=onepage&q&f=false
forbes.com/2011/02/23/dumbest-warning-labels-entrepreneurs-sales-marketing-warning-labels_slide.html
youtube.com/watch?v=dPp1uFUvVJw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why is the 4L so cheap while the 2cv and especially the Méhari have jumped up in price?
It's not fair. I want that pile of ondulated plastic and tent cloth, it looks like so much fun but it's hard to find one for less than 12k€ and that's quite a lot for a completely useless car.

Not sure, they were both made until around 1990 weren't they?

(2cvs were build till the mid '80)
But they are fashionable now, regardless of the cost people like them because they have character, aswell as being made out of such poor materials that they rust incredibly easily, so any which haven't been stored correctly will be dying if not dead.
That said, old broken ones are easy enough to find, aslong as you know an amount about cars you could probably fix one up to a road legal standard relatively easily.

>old broken ones are easy enough to find
And replacement parts are still being made brand new by kit manufacturers too.

My friend and my own 106's

Why are 90% of all modern cars black, white or grey?

I miss comfy 90's era colors, and cloth seats with a cute pattern.

Pic related, my '94 ZX.

metallic grey was a mistake

because they made more twice as many 4L's than 2cv's, and they are newer so less damaged.

I'm more saddened by the loss in confort. On smooth roads newer cars are quieter, but if it gets rough they're much worse.

Why isn't the Peugeot a 604?

What is the best colour scheme for the deuche and why isn't it Charleston but the old postal services livery?

because until the cx got a turbo, it wouldn't be quite the same category. That's a renault 20 rather than a 30 too.

Guise, my Citroen is raping my bankhole and it's destroying my life. I thought the >muh French reliability
was just a meme.

Did I buy a lemon or are your guises cars just as unreliable?

I don't know the specifics for that particular model, so it could be a faulty one. But in my experience it's usually mechanics that in servicing the car, don't put things back correctly causing more problems.

Example, on a laguna 2 I caught that the engine mounts had been left loose, resulting in a destroyed exhaust flex tube, power steering pipes and thermostat wiring. They also forgot to put back the underbody panel underneath the engine, meaning the spray water got into the ABS so it needed to be replaced (and probably worse fuel consumption).

It's not that they are finicky, but they don't tolerate people that don't understand what they are doing.

Might be a lemon indeed.
I'm still driving the C3 that used to belong to my mom, it has quite a few kms on the counter and it only came into a serious problem a few monthes ago (gearbox decided to die) after 14 years without any significant issues caused by regular wear.

I figured, it sat for half a year on the dealers lot anyway so that probably didn't do it any good.
How much did you pay for a new gearbox?

dyanes are better and cheaper than 2cv's

i drifted and usuprisingly stalled my supercinq, ever since then it only clicks on ignition which i suppose is the sound of a relay turning on, this is a burnt out alternator, right?
also what's the parts compatibility with the first gen clio

You mean burnt out starter motor, but it could be simply that gear that engages the engine is blocked (and the noise you're hearing is the gear trying to rotate). Have you tried to put the engine in top gear and push it a little, and then tried to start it again?

If it's not that it could be a faulty relay that clicks but can't pass current. If it's neither then yeah it's probably the starter.

i got it to work by jump starting but the battery warning light was on, then i replaced the 45ah battery with a stronger 60ah one but it still couldn't start on its own, which i suppose only leaves the starter motor as the culprit.
since this is a pretty old car, could i get away with an r11/clio/twingo or megane starter, and does displacement matter?

my brother and i are /fag/'s

resale value
same with houses they all get painted Gray now

Bigger engine bigger starter motor obviously, so swapping for a starter motor meant for a bigger engine works fine, the problem is making sure the gears on the starter motor mesh correctly with the gears on the flywheel, which is why it's usually not recommended to change stater motors but can be done provided the measurements add up. Personal example, my father had an Alfa that started fine when cold but occasionally refused to when it was hot, and the reason was because the starter had been replaced by that of another car and not only it was less powerful, but the gears where not quite right.

But but if it starts with a jump cable and the battery light stays on it could be the relay not working properly, since the starter is disconnected outside of when it's needed. It could also be the alternator or the voltage regulator.

For this kind of troubleshooting you have to use a multimeter and a long wire to see if the voltage is getting where it needs to be as you turn on the ignition, try to start it and leave it running. It's also worth checking out the resistance between positive and negative with the battery disconected and ignition off and on. If the resistence is too low, then there could be a short circuit somewhere. Just try eliminate possible causes step by step.

Should have a TU in it, great engines so it's probably a lemon

Unless you got the flappy paddle gearbox, then you deserve it

Interesting in that picture how much less understeer the Pug has, the Renault and Citroen have heaps more mid corner lock on.

>Did I buy a lemon or are your guises cars just as unreliable?
My 406 has done a bit over 300k, the suspension bushes, particularly the shockie mount bushes are knackered but it's been reliable as.

>This car in red

the pug is actually oversteering, not understeering. .

youtube.com/watch?v=iTxKRP-U31I

Which was essentially my point...

If actual RS's then you did good.

Why do americans drive pick up trucks, when wagons with roof racks are better in every way?

Light blue is iconic though.

French cars from a certain era (late 90's to 2010) are mostly meh reliability wise. although not as bad as the meme says. They are now back to the old standards. Believe it or not but French cars use to be renowned for their built quality.

Yet they still got a reputation for unreliability because Citroën in particular built everything with their own parts and nothing else was really compatible meaning repairs could only be done once you get parts that were not produced quickly enough, so any fix you needed to d owas not easy and required a lot of waiting for things to arrive.
That's what killed the potential of french cars on the american market too.

also wtf
>all that load
>tires aren't even tucking

The laws of physics don't apply in Africa.

Nah, what killed french cars in america was because manufacturers weren't willing to cater to the american's needs and wants, and built cars the way they imagined they should be (it's even a case study).

books.google.pt/books?id=XCYvDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA137&lpg=PA137#v=onepage&q&f=false

Germans and especially Japanese on the other hand made a point of building cars to suceed on american soil, with their economies needing to be rebuilt after the war. No matter how idiot proof they needed to make their cars.

silly on peugeot's part but seriously, how dumb can a person be?

RRREEEEEEEEE

>the tabs

nice troll, spoken like a true redditor

Never weep for the stupid, you'll die of thirst

forbes.com/2011/02/23/dumbest-warning-labels-entrepreneurs-sales-marketing-warning-labels_slide.html

And it's not just peugeot, renault for example when it lauched the dauphine it failed to take into account, among other things, that most roads in america are flat straights rather than winding montain roads in france. As the aero drag was low, top ratio high and there weren't speed limits people drove the cars flat out everywhere, destroying the engines by overreving them. The beetle on the other hand in standard form could be kept flat to the floor all day.

It seriously won't let me read though, which is annoying because I reall ywanted to dig in a bit.

My dad told that when he still was a volleyball coach anywhere they went with their (not sure T1 or T2) Type 2 VW they would go flat out the 95kph or what ever it could do at most.

yeah same here

Screenshot. And yeah, the sad thing is that had they just changed the ratio on the top gear the car would not only be more reliable because the revs would be limited by drag, but it would go faster and consume less fuel.

I think renault realised they needed to change their attitudes in the 80's, but then their boss got murdered and the plans with amc fell out.

Well, they're all doing pretty fine on the chinese market now, for all it's worth...

my 2 french piles of shit (that i love)

old pic but whatever it's the only one i have with both cars in it

i also had a beater 307SW but i junked it because it was a PILE OF SHIT and everything but the engine was falling apart

Got one of these 2011 landboats
It's okay, hasn't given me any trouble [Y E T]

>getting a french barge that isn't a C6
y tho?
It devaluated so hard, you can get one for less that 9k€

just came back from a night ride in my '04 307

[spoiler]ignore the check engine light, it's been on ever since i removed the cat and the dpf filter[/spoiler]

nice fucking board the spoilers dont work

>C6
>9k
Don't think they sold/sell well around here. Just checked the used market and they're all upward of 14k and that's ~'08 models with 180k+ km (V6s)

Guess the twingo's seat arrangement is nothing new.

>Full comfy position

Menage a troix le car.

>106 gti
Hot

>FRENCH
>GOOD
KEK

Monica 560 v8 is without a doubt the rarest french grand tourer.

K U M

no bully

Vintage peugeot still today resists the trials of the African continent.

that interior is top class.

youtube.com/watch?v=dPp1uFUvVJw

the african stance scene looks fucking dope brah

Renault Rodéo never had the same success of Citroen Méhari.

Eat a bag of dicks, the Clio RS is godtier

ford corcel is honorable french (renault 12)

>Ford Corcel is Renault 12 in 'merica
>Renault Virage is Renault 12 in 'straya

Americans being Americans and French being French
I love it