/sthg/ -Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog General. Here we talk about all things Sonic! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #820 - Sonic and Pokémon X Edition

>Link CompilationSonic News<
Sonic Mania vids:
6 Minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/uB9RP2SV8HY
Green Hill Boss : youtu.be/X1GZbQgtGLY
Chemical Plant : youtu.be/4TX2I3iUORQ
youtube.com/watch?v=52UGIIIp9WE
Pre-order Trailer: youtu.be/wvD8NZN9Zsg

Sonic Forces vids:
Sonic Forces Main Theme Lyrics Rvealed - Fist Bump: youtu.be/XI97jY3FZ9Q
Sonic Forces E3 trailer: youtu.be/dprxYd_16Ck
7 minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/fyTzm8WgtlE
Full level Gameplay: youtu.be/6g6_rRqjlCI
Avatar Gameplay: youtu.be/TJZfptketUc

>Drawfag/Writefag Idea WallsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0NKlxfKsWuI
fanfiction.net/s/11518009/1/Sonic-The-Pokemon-Trainer
drive.google.com/uc?id=0BzzNv4U8hz0fa3U4d3JjSzQ1Yzg&export=download
sonicparadise.net/2017/07/de-project-apollo-sonic-boom-su.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
twitlonger.com/show/n_1sq16cr
youtu.be/rhos7FppAgU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

vocaroo.com/i/s0NKlxfKsWuI

Second for Sticks!

fanfiction.net/s/11518009/1/Sonic-The-Pokemon-Trainer

Why do so many fangames use the super peel out yet Sega never touched the thing again?

Have some Beta Perci on me.

whoa

Concept art for the weapons in the game.

Wait there were weapons in the final game?

What a cutie pie from the get-go.

I like B and D better because C and current reminds me of a more Echidna look and A reminds me of another character outside the Sonic series.

Where are you getting these, user?

In what order did the teams arrive at the Egg Fleet and defeat the Egg Emperor?

>big red button
that kind of stuff isn't cute when you're reputation is in the shitter

final outcome is the best. it is funny how perci ended up as generic background character in the tv show, they even established a twin so they could ctr v her model.

I've been trying to find the source but so far I've found these on twitter.

Also here's an Amy Art.

Rose, Sonic, Dark, then Chaotix.

>Eyelids

???????????

>tan legs
It's just a human with a big head

Now for some Sticks art with some Development Notes.

I always imagined Team Dark ended up everywhere last because there's probably a TRAIL of destruction following behind everything Omega did.

He'd probably destroy every part of rail canyon on their way through it.

Metal Sonic, I'm surprised to say had some very small but visible "redesigns" during development.

Sticks has a really fucking solid design, I must say.
It's time consuming to draw but pretty rewarding. I do hope she sticks around after boom's gone.

I guess because the animation for it looks cool. That's literally the only thing going for when compared to the spindash.

I'm glad someone else baked. All my OPs are cursed.
The last one hit the archive at 400.

>thought her name and look was a clever pun
>nope, she'd a bandicoot instead

Now the Knuckles design from last thread.

But I also found the source for these concepts.
A BRB style guide composed of artwork from RoL's development.

drive.google.com/uc?id=0BzzNv4U8hz0fa3U4d3JjSzQ1Yzg&export=download

Can also be found here:
sonicparadise.net/2017/07/de-project-apollo-sonic-boom-su.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Well, I prefer the randomized change, normally because I was always worn out over seeing the same victory poses on Unleashed and (especially) Generations, since I'm able to get S ranks most of the times. I think it will be atleast refreshing to see both Sonics reacting differently while not needing to restrict yourself to try getting a lower rank.

Don't worry about it. The thread you're talking about only got archived early because some kind of furry gay guy named Bui came in on Veeky Forums (and on /v/ and /vr/) and used its botnet to create various threads on the catalog in order to make the others legit generals get archived faster. I heard the reason of this was because on /vp/, he got mad when some drawfag recused to draw his lewd request.
Your threads are not "cursed". It's just we're struggling to find things to discuss thanks to the lack of news and lack of new comics. It's not your fault, so stay calm, buddy.

Each of the 4 characters also has a small section too.

Just posting this one because the example they used just made me crack up for some reason.

Time for a bump. Who's up for more Fleetway Sonic and Knuckles?

You know, I think it was always intuitie that the Master Emerald provided some kind of energy Rootnik used to launch the Death Egg, but this is never really elaborated on is it?
We have entirely expected obvious foreshadowing here and of course Kitching is roping Lava Reef to lie beneath the Launch Base Zone since the Death Egg hasn't launched from there and fallen into a volcano in this storyline.
No-one ever said writing franchises was easy.

>/vr/ too
God damn, that's dedicating.

This OP was in memory of yesterday's incident. Fuck Pokemon.

Just for the hell of it, Sonic's designs seen in the style guide.

3A is giving me DIC Sonic vibes for some reason tho

Why did they remove the clothing at the waist? It looks kind of cool.

No wonder, it reminded me of something familiar.

Sonic 2.0 is the best in my opinion.

I liked that too. I don't know why they did that though.

On an unrelated note, Cliff was at one point going to be more of an Inventor character.

I can't believe Sonic Boom makes Iizuka and Sonic Team look sane.

Oh, I remember when there was this theory in which he was supposed to be Tails' dad. As stupid as it sounds, it's still better than Random NPC #7.

I don't like the feedback Iizuka gave. Why not have a wildcard inventor to spice up the rivalry between Tails and Eggman?

Yea there were weapons in the final game, completely out of place though.

I'm glad that was shot down, could you imagine having both Sonic's tan arms & Amy's tan legs?

I find it hilarious that they were aware of how much Sticks doesn't mesh well with the rest of the cast design wise and redesigned accordingly but ultimately still sticks out like a sore thumb against the rest of the cast even with their boom alterations. All they had to do was simplify her clothing, lesson / flat out remove her secondary colours and remove whatever moronic thing she has going on with her ears and it would of been fine.

Any attempt to have thin upper limbs / thick lower limbs that flow into the hands / feet on a robot will always read as MegaMan, no exceptions. All that effort to basically have his mainline design with a few barely noticeable changes seems like a massive waste.

That was absolutely the wrong way to go about it and I'm glad they were stopped early on, this is exactly why those beta trailers look so wrong.

>Separate eyes on Sonic the Hedgehog
>AVGN_What_were_they_thinking.gif

A extremely rare time I actually agree with Izuka on something.

No clue. My guess is...."status quo"?

But now, just for you guys, artwork of one of the random female villagers that never showed up in the final game.

Oh come on, you KNOW somebody here is going to draw her at some point

Boom Sonic's design is such trash.

>spoiler
I can only hope. She's cute.

She looks like a hooker. A hedgehooker.

Come to think of it, each hub, (all 2 of them) was supposed to have their own set of NPCs aside from the ones seen in-game

>Iizuka-san feedback: The only inventors in this world should be Tails and Eggman.

what about the other world tho, iizuka

REMOVE ROGER CRAIG SMITH

Legacy Sonic is so good.

That purse is cute, just like Sticks. Stupid designers don't know about fashion

What is this "two worlds" stuff? It's some bullshit Izuka said, right?

Sonic Boom is only one world.

Modern Sonic's design is so perfect. There's absolutely no reason to change it the way they did.
Boom Sonic is down there with the Michael Bay TMNT designs.

Yup. There was an interview.

Oh god. What did he say exactly?

It's like they basicall ignored Sonic Team here.
The arm sickness became progressively worse.
This issue begins the five part Fleetway take on the S&K storyline. One clear difference here as a consequence of Fleetway's take on Super sonic is that the ending is obviously going to be fairly different here. Nevertheless, there will be awesome. And Chaotix for afters.

So, do you guys remember those big ass "sentinels" seen at the end of the game during Lyric's boss fight?

You were originally going to have to fight one (or possibly more) of them.

There are two worlds, more like planets: the human world of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Sonic Battle, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, and Sonic Unleashed; and Sonic's world, featured in every other game. I've heard it's like Stargate, but don't quote me on that. This was presumably done to explain why the 'weirder' settings of most Sonic games aren't featured in the "human" games. Perhaps because Sega doesn't feel that humans mix with futuristic cities and other stuff.

what happened that removed all these unique NPC's.

A Shadow of the Colossus-style boss would have been awesome.

that makes sense
and now get it in forces with the death egg robots

Sounds like he binge-watched Sonic X on crack and thought "hey, that's a good idea for the lore!".

Well, we don't know when the two worlds idea came about. It could have been during/before Sonic X was conceptualized.

Two worlds was a thing in the OVA too.

If it was shown properly in the games, I wouldn't be as irked as I am right now. But I expected far worse to be honest.

Fleetway's take on the Eggrobos succeeded far more in emphasising the egg shape than the original game sprites. What a pity the entire "egg" meme blew right past me at the time and I thought making them look like eggs was silly.
Knowing stuff was hard before the internet guys.

New RPG when?

twitlonger.com/show/n_1sq16cr

>"There are no good sonic games"

>Now you fucked up. Go play Sonic 3 right now and realize the error of your ways.

Based Dunkey

Not really. The Land of the Sky and the Land of Darkness are two layers of the planet, with the Land of the Sky being the surface layer. It was only mistranslated as "dimensions" in the dub.

same, if it was in the early games or even introduced in adventure I'll probably be fine. now it's 20 years in.

it's going to raise more questions.
Which game is set in which world? what events are carried over?

It sounds like we'll have to use sonic X as reference, which doesn't sit right with me.

The Land of the Sky isn't really the "surface", but what I meant is that it's the higher layer compared to the Land of the Darkness, which seems to be the actual surface of the planet.

The rest of the RoL style guide is dedicated to props, environments and level designs.

Though I figured I'd show off the Biplane Redesign just for the fucking faces Sonic and Tails are making in the art

Human world:

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Battle
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic Unleashed

Sonic's world:

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Rush
Sonic Riders
Sonic Rivals
Sonic Rivals 2
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic Colors
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Mania

What do you mean by carried over?

"Unlike Sonic I don't chuckle"
Knuckles was right after all.

Knuckles actually using his noggin was another character element/potentiality which got lost sometime around 13 or so years ago.
He's just a totally different kind of character, in early headcanon, here in Fleetway, and in the Sonic Adventures especially. God damn it I want my Knuckles back.

The human book it's actually the Storybook world.

If you're talking about the Storybook games, then I didn't include those, since Sonic's in a completely different dimension for most of those games. Same thing with Shuffle, Rush Adventure, and Generations.

for example I was thinking about eggmans backstory but sonic x does provide an explanation.

not to mention characters like shadow the heghehog, does that mean he crosses over the worlds in between games? does that mean that Big, Rouge and Cream do as well, they must.

GUN was in sonic rush and SA2, so each world as a GUN?

there are probably more examples I can't think of without going through a wiki.

Yeah, I'm actually on the phone right now because I'm a lazy fuck, so the corrector did his work without me noticing.

It's not like Sonic X where the two worlds don't know each other. It's common travel. G.U.N. has bases in both worlds, just as characters like Shadow and Eggman can go between them. Eggman wasn't shoved into Sonic's world inexplicably at a young age like in Sonic X; he's just a dick who wants to conquer shit.

All this concept art for Boom asides the main cast is pretty decent, it's a shame just how badly BRB fucked up in execution.

Wait, I'm Sonic X they actually told that Eggman came into Sonic's world as a child? Also, how do we explain the presence of the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald in both worlds?

>common travel
>bases in both worlds
>characters can go between them
This seems like a solution to a problem that only exisits because you didn't go with the solution from the get go. Why separate the worlds, and then try to connect them anyways? For what purpose does Iizuka not commit to what he's saying.

Yeah, Sonic X kind of asspulled why Eggman was in Sonic's world. You can even see his confusion in that one comic picture where he's confused about dollars. As for the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald, you got me. It's probably something to do with the Emeralds' energy. It's not a stellar explanation, but it'll do.

ok, angel island. is their two? does that travel too?

I'm just thinking this two worlds thing isn't a good idea.I was fine with most games taking place on the same planet. it was like a comic book world where there are realistic places like new york and more fantastical places like a prehistoric jungle in the arctic.

egg robos must have a low melting point

It travels between the two. I don't know how (probably energy from the Master Emerald), but it does.

There's literally no in-game evidence for this two-worlds bullshit, so until Iizuka doubles down on it, its easy to ignore his nonsense.

That is to say that there are two worlds, not two Angel Islands.

Voodoo shark at its finest. You can smell its purity.

what a silly edit

It's Coldsteel

>Silver is still wearing a dress

kek

I like Silver

This. It's not that hard of an idea to grasp. Plus it helps reconcile the idea of the crazier unrealistic places like Green Hill and Marble Garden with the realism of Station Square, as well as the Sonic's Worldians and people. It makes the most sense

What about the Chaos Emeralds?

What about them?

Are they one set in each world? Or just one set scattered in both worlds? And the same can be asked about the M.E.

youtu.be/rhos7FppAgU