In college so I only need two seats

>in college so I only need two seats
>clutch is pretty light
>even the tiptronic automatics are good
>costs less than a fucking s550 v6 mustang
>has the looks of a 911
>bulletproof engine
>get a glass engine cover, feel like you're driving a rear-engine supercar since you can see/hear the engine so much more

I see zero flaws in an older Porsche Cayman, should I get one?

Other urls found in this thread:

revolution-porsche.co.uk/news/ims-bearing-failure-symptoms-and-how-to-spot-them
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're gorgeous, sound great, and handle even better.
If you can afford one its a no brainer. They're beautiful machines.

The IMS bearing is a no go.

Only a thing to worry about on 2000+ 986s, pre-2000 986s and 987s use stronger bearings with near negligible failure rates.
Even on the risky cars it's an easy thing to prevent, just replace the weak bearing with a stronger unit when you're replacing the clutch.

That's my thought. I'll have to fly/drive out of state to get a good deal, but it looks worth it.
I've read about this, how bad/widespread is the problem and how can I work that into my dealer negotiation?

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you know what a Cayman is?

All 1st Gen Cayman up to 2009 w/o the IMS bearing changed are a total no go.

Yes, the first gen Cayman's chassis code is 987, along with the 2nd gen Boxster. The first gen Boxster's chassis code is 986.

The OP is talking about a Cayman and all 987 until 2009 are a risk. Please google it.

I was aware this is a problem but I didn't realize quite how widespread it was. How much is it to replace?

Yes, IMS bearing failure pretty much always results in unrecoverable engine damage.
But the failure rate on the bearings used in all 987s is absolutely tiny, the horror stories mostly apply to a few specific years of 986 where Porsche switched to weaker bearings. 987s use stronger bearings again.

On 987s, a you pretty much need a full engine teardown. On 986s it's a matter of a simple bearing puller and a $100 part.

Damn, that's pretty awful. How should I play that off a dealer?

My bad, the high failure rates were on 2000-2005 986s and 996s, and 987s/997s require engine removal for the IMS bearing replacement but not a full teardown. Anything outside the 2000-2005 range has significantly lower failure rates though, and there are usually symptoms.
Here's some very useful info: revolution-porsche.co.uk/news/ims-bearing-failure-symptoms-and-how-to-spot-them

IMS on 996 is a 1000-2000 dollar fix. Most cars have it fixed already if the owner has any brain.

Comparing it to an s550 v6 is sorta irrelevant. You can get a c5 z06 or terminator for cheaper than an s550 v6...

>But the failure rate on the bearings used in all 987s is absolutely tiny
That why i bough my 987c Cayman S
>yet a few months later this is the engine break
as long as I did not fall and open the engine I'm not sure but I think it's the IMS
despite that I still love this wonderful car ;)

The problem with cars like that is some dumbass, angry, 99% crying college student will fuck with your car if you live in a college town. I had retards leave stickers on my 30 year old E30.

That sucks, man. And yeah, tiny risk of failure doesn't mean no risk of failure. Just religiously check for metal shavings every oil change, and if it does grenade the engine you have a good excuse to put a 911 engine in there.

Fortunately I never had to deal with twats like that. Driving a beaterbox through school was best of best for me, but if OP has the swag to run a Cayman he might as well. Always better to find out early if you should be humbled or not.

I've test driven my fair share... nah.

As good as Caymans are, they are not really good DDs. They may be affordable and pretty straightforward, but they lack comfort, aren't the most practical (what happens if you have two friends who want a ride?), and aren't really the most fun in a traffic situation.

Don't get me wrong, I'd totally go get a Cayman as a second vehicle to fuck around in... just not as a first/only vehicle.

a few issues for a college car
>no cargo volume, so you cant use it to move stuff which you will do a lot
>it'll need maintenance, probably diy to save money, but parts costs aren't that cheap and you need a reliable dry space to work on it....which you probably don't have
>insurance costs

college will do everything it can to make you hate owning a car, which is a damn shame really

The tiptronic automatics are complete bullshit 90s technology. Porsche also failed with the thumb buttons. I suggest getting a 986 for $10k and tuning it to 250 and saving the money IMO.

You are too young to go into debt despite the Cayman being a true G/o/D machine. The 986 is almost the same car but the headlights mean it costs way less.

>college will do everything it can to make you hate owning a car
Exact opposite. I owned two cars and it was nothing but fun carting friends and stuff around, lending one out, teaching them how to drive.

One time I got them to fix the old busted one up so they could take it off for a vacation. Damn right I helped even though I couldn't go.

>clutch is pretty light

boohoo hoo waa mom the cwutch is heavyyyyy

your campus must have been great about campus parking and didn't have all kinds of weird rules and fees and shit, lots of people are not nearly as lucky

maintenance and insurance will ram your ass

Campus parking really went to hell when the whole LEED meme took off. Before that it was really just a matter of filing for a parking pass and then telling off the black woman and CCing her boss when she gave you grief.

As for the Google parking lot? Let's just say I don't take kindly to a building flying a Google flag without putting a US flag above it. So that didn't last long. The color-by-number parking garage is entirely secondary.

Parking on campus was hilariously prohibitive for us, and it got to the point that the campus then convinced the city to issue parking passes as well. Except that only a quarter of the houses in the whole city were eligible to even purchase one.

If you didn't get in the campus parking lottery you ended up having to walk 5 miles to get to your car.

LOADS OF FUN.

>He felt for the used porsche meme.

Theres a reason why they are so cheap, you don't buy them used, you lease/buy them with a big ass warranty that includes regular maintenance and you change for a newer porsche after a newer model comes out.