RWD vs FWD in Winter

Hi I want to buy my first car and live in a snowy place.

What are your experiences with RWD and FWD in snow/wintertime?

desu not alot will happen if you drive responsibly and under the speed limit, no matter if fwd awd 4wd or rwd. Here in yurop people drive the same cars all year round and noone dies.

rwd as always is more fun
fwd is more fun thanks to scandi flick

FWD generally gives you more traction due to more weight on the driven wheels, unless you're trying to go up steeper sections, where weight is more shifted towards the rear

Still, with either, a set of good winter tires and maaaybe a little bit of weight in the boot of the RWD if needed then neither will give you more difficulty than the other

>FWD w/ summer performance tires: have fun walking
>FWD w/ meaty stud-less winter tires: ok traction in snow, no traction on ice

>RWD truck w/ all seasons: almost died
>RWD car w/ balding all seasons: hectic skids
>RWD car w/ winter tires: better than FWD, hills are sketchy

if you're worried about weight that much just get mr.

Thanks for the replies and input so far. I live in Svenland and some friends say I need to get an old Volvo, but my family says I need to get FWD or AWD. So I'm trying to make up my mind.

Folks have been driving aroun our frigid countries for decades and decades in much worse RWD cars on much worse tires and gotten around just fine

I live in the norwegian valleys bordering to Dalarnas län, and drove a RWD Mercedes for three years - no issue whatsoever as long as I kept my head with me and the snow wasn't stupidly deep

Why dont you just get AWD or 4x4? Why are you limiting yourself to the shittiest two options for snow?

>t. Never drove a fwd

If you're looking to get RWD, try to find something with a limited slip rear differential. Have good winter tires and if you settle for AWD or 4WD just remember the drive-train only helps to get you going, it won't help worth a damn slowing you down.

estonia
we get winter.
Only reason stopping me from hektik skidz all winter in my mr2 is that I don't want it to rust in half.
Just get whatever.
Only reason to get awd or fwd or rwd is that you really really like the fucking car.
If you get awd or fwd because you are afraid of a 'lil snow and black ice, you belong on /n/ormie
just git gud and learn to drive the car, take it to the ice track.

lmao fag, learn to drive
oh wait all you have is straight, dry roads in the fag ass desert
You don't even need 4x4 for dirt countryside roads or offroad for most of the time

>t. lived in an area famous for being lousy with small, steep hills

fix'd

This.

I used to drive RWD in Central Ontario, now with FWD and really not that much different unless you try to be reckless and slide about.

Good tires is where its at.

peekon

praemuna

saare saaremaa

eesti meet when you fags always talk lots of shit but always pussy out when its time to do drivin
i've met french russian and latvian Veeky Forumstists but est/o/nians are chickenshit

Thanks all, I think i'm going for an old Volvo and get some good winter tires, any brand/models you advise? I think studded might be safer?

Studded are "better", but you do have wear on the studs to factor in, plus that they are louder

Can't go wrong with Nokian, Continental, or Hankook

Studded; Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9, Continental IceContact 2, Hankook Winter I*Pike RS

Studless; Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2, Continental ContiVikingContact 6

For the studded I'd go with the Hakkapeliitta 9, while studless I'd go for the Contis as the R2 is starting to get old

I'm not an actual Estonian, I've just been to Saaremaa and saw peekon in their stores

>tfw no winter tires

what happened to that poor w203

There is not a worse combination of any two things in the world than RWD and snow. You slip and slide all over the place even with the highest-quality snow tires.
FWD is perfectly manageable for all but the most extreme snow.

DEJA VU

Weight balance favours FWD if you drive slowly but if you drive quickly, the balance shifts to the rear so you get better traction.
If you drive RWD and it's snowy, drive fast everywhere for better traction

the only time there is a difference is if you have to get going on an icy hill or the snow is so deep you will get stuck. there is no difference in cornering grip which is what makes slippery conditions dangerous.

Looks like the absolute worst surcace there is; completely polished ice with water ontop of it.

Fun fact; I just looked up that license plate and apparently that car was listed as having gone to the wrecker exactly two months ago (photo is a few years old)

F

Never even knew they had meets here. Will never go to, as socializing is cancer.

Bacons nice.

I am afraid the same thing will happen to my w203
>tfw have a set of rims+winter tiers from your dads totaled w202
>my lug nuts are too short to fit them on my w203

I said "for snow" and OP's thread is about "snow."

There is no debate that AWD and 4x4 are superior in snow to RWD or FWD. You have to be pretty autistic to be triggered by something this simple.

>If you drive RWD and it's snowy, drive fast everywhere for better traction

Never brake, never stop.

Do you want OP to kill himself or something?

Whatnow?

I had W203 wheels on my W202, I would've thought they were pretty much the same

How fucking THICC are your wheels if your bolts can't even thread properly?

>having short nuts
lmaoooooooooooooooo

>fellow snownigger is a namefag on Veeky Forums

t-thanks

I got it
I have w211 rims on mine and those are 14 X 26.5 X 1.5 mm
the other rims are from w210 but those are the same as the w203 which are 14 X 40X 1.5 mm
Should I buy OEM 2nd hand or new lug nuts?

how hard is it for a europoor to find job in norway?
i want to bask in your riches and promise not to mess with your gene pool

are you stupid?
they make more money from money wise yes, but everything fucking expensive over there so you basically use the same percentage of your wage to buy a bread as you would in poland

the only way to pofit from that is to work in norway but don't live there so you can buy where it is cheap

Live in Swe work in Nor and you're all good.

lone driver is boring and gay.
There's 100-300 car meets every week during season.
I'm in tallinn tho

it's still better than here friendo
super low wages and high taxes (income, car, vat, you name it), not many can afford decent cars (or any "luxuries" for that matter) and even the used market is fucked.

but yes, of course it would be even better to have a norway-tier wage and staying where i am

a folded 1000 times carbon ceramic quantum entangled nanovibrating blade is better at cutting cucumber but you can just as well do it with a knife you have laying around

tl;dr git gud
I bet you hate the idea of driving in a car with no safety equipment too

Bacon IS nice, man

>Holland
lmao nigga just sell drugs to germans like everyone else

Go ahead, have your little circlejerks.

I like bacon, very nice!

>All this talk about bacon

Are you Danes or something?

It's a bunch of Estonians and me, I think

>not wanting to make new friends, meeting girls, going out for night rides and races
I hate my fellow countrymen and country

Pekka Pekoni here, it's ok sister Estonia, don't cry.

Back at you, normie

I am currently driving RWD in central Ontario and have for several years, the only people who end up in ditches are people who are trying and cant change their driving in accordance to the weather.

RWD is more fun to do donuts and shit in parking lots but with winter tires neither the drivetrain doesnt really make a whole lot of difference unless you're trying to drive through a foot of snow.

>implying AWD cars are any more difficult to obtain than any other car

Just stop you pathetic retard

I have FWD and RWD cars and I barely feel any difference in normal driving. Just get good tires and don't mash the pedals. If there's heavy snowfall and you're afraid of being stuck, throw a snow shovel and a bag of gravel into the trunk (but if you really want to drive through non-plowed roads reliably, you need a 4WD truck with differential locks)

>never looked under the floor cover before
>remove interior
>floor is rusted through
>started snowing this morning
>no car for the winter
we're truly the most anti-s/o/cial country, hated by both weather and the cars we own.

As a winter fwd user, i'd take rwd any time. FWD is probably safer and will get you out of the icy parking spot easier, but on every empty outskirt roundabout you'll feel the emptiness in your heart, coming from inability to pull off a fun little skid (skid that won't harm your tyres because winter and ice and shit). Best i can do in my fwd shitbox is a bit of flicked lift-off oversteer that feels kinda pathetic after doing it couple times.

>ywn race a bus on the edge during the winter
sad

RWD FOR DRIFT DESU
FWD FOR GRIP DESU

Look at it this way. There's a reason why RWD *cars* have gone extinct.

>noone dies
Objectively false

what’s the cheapest set of winter tires I can get that still work?

I’ve got a set of 19 inch wheels that I plan on replacing anyway so should I just put them on those or buy some steelies?

one thing to remember is that on a modern FWD car, you need to do some weird ass shit to recover from an understeer situation. Basically, you need to steer *in* to the skid to "load up" the front tires so you regain traction. This is completely counter intuitive and might not be how you respond in a panic situation, where you might try to immediately countersteer and just make things worse.

Four wheel drive with RWD in two wheel drive for when you're not actively trying to get out of snow

Get a FWD and become a Rally Takumi on your local downhill.
Nobody can Scandinavian Flick like you can.
Left foot breaking all day; nobody changes front break pads and rotors like you do.
Master of Steering-Throttle coordination, as to prevent understeer.
Trail Breaking expertise.
Excellent corner breaking technique and ability.
You'll be able to skid so much, nobody would think that your car is FWD.

Tires are far more important than rwd vs fwd

AWD with all seasons is worse than RWD with good snow tires.

I would be more concerned with the model and condition of the car than the layout. Personally, I would get a RWD to instill cautious winter driving habits and then have more fun in the summer.

Smallest set of steelies that'll clear your brakes

Higher profile thinner tire sized to match your speedo to the stock size. Hankook makes extremely cheap good winter tires, I'm using iPike RSV right now in Canadaland without any issues, and those are $50/tire in 14in.

Smallest that'll clear my brakes is 16in, I'm using 205/60-r16 on those, while my summer set is 225/40-r19. Both line up with the stock speedo (215/50-r17) pretty close.

>store my mrs for winter in parents shed near rakvere
>daily other car
>every time I lift it to change wheels some new rusty part snaps and flies off
>seat brackets inside are rusted to shit even
my groups doing a group buy on sierras and omegas rn

no they're not point is they're overkill
might as well get rwd and have fun
regular traffic driving is boring and slow that the layout literally don't matter unless you live in insanely hilly area in where the local government doesn't plow the roads

It's essential to understand that FWD is inherently stable because the movement is pulling in front of the center of gravity. RWD is inherently unstable because the movement pushes from behind the center of gravity. This isn't to say that it's difficult to control in most situations, but it's a simple matter of physics and inertia. Make your decision based of all conditions, not just winter.

Driven both extensively over many years and in all conditions, both fine. Only choice I ever regretted making in snow was motorcycle because it took so long to get anywhere.

How did you do it on a bike? Did you just avoid every patch of snow and ice?

>70/30 weight distribution
>FWD
>winter tires
>rear tires more worn than front
>155 mm prius discs
>no electric nannies except for ABS

How fucked am I?

I spent a good hour pushing the bike out of my cul-de-sac then rode to work avoiding any jerky input whatsoever. The reason it took so long to get out of my road was because the snow would build up in front of the front tyre as I pushed and the bike would fall over. Once the tyres were warm it was ok. I stuck to main roads as much as possible and went dead slow and smooth on back roads. Bike was an '81 R65

>It's essential to understand that FWD is inherently stable because the movement is pulling in front of the center of gravity.

No it's not. Try pulling handbrake and enjoy your inherent stability

>>>How fucked am I?
Not fucked at all wtf are you talking about? Sorry if I missed sarcasm because that's a great winter beater setup user

RWD with winter tires is fine, RWD with no winter tires depends somewhat on the car but will be fine. FWD is by far easier and safer, anyone who tells you otherwise is full of shit.

AWD is obviously better still but not all AWD systems are very useful and none are needed for most people. I live in a place with "bad" winters and even here the roads are only really bad for a handful of days every year. FWD on any tires or rwd on winters is more than enough to get around safely.

FWD is a lot better for safely driving in the snow.
RWD is more fun for doing spins.

width of car and tire type matters more DESU senpai.

I prefer RWD just because of how it feels, but the biggest difference was using all-weather or winter tires.

Hills are the only problem with RWD even with studded tires.

And if you put some bags of gravel on the axle?

Hmmm, or maybe a propeller on the roof?

My school in first grade used to be on bottom of this huge valley with steep curved hill road with no room to gain speed before it and I remember that my dad's landbarge Mercedes had problems going up it even with gravelbags in the trunk during winter while it was icy. My mom's light jap FWD shitbox went uphill with no problems.
While we were waiting to be picked up by our parents we always tried to guess which car has problems going up the hill.

There was some sketchy workaround route which went through forest and sidewalks and connected into an empty highway rest area if you really didn't get up the hill.

The school is no more in use, it didn't even have an indoors toilet. After first grade I went to school with my friend with skis.

Done snow in this, it's RWD and no nannies but has super skinny tyres so v easy

bacon is the food of plebs

RWD is more fun, just buy some proper winter tires and don't be retarded

>W124 200E
>RWD
>easy mode drift
>have to drive hills up in reverse

proper winter tires don't have this problem
can confirm the rest though

I don't understand why people still buy 2wd cars or trucks.

You can literally buy an AWD ecobox for under 10k at VERY most, Practically new.

pic related
>AWD
>2.4L that gets 30-38mpg
>paid 7300 with 31k miles on it

Was exegerated. Thing with hills is.. my car is in a garage and you have to drive uphill, which is no big deal, but then it takes a roughly 140-150° turn, still uphill, and that's just not going to happen with a W124 E200.
Winter wheels are Continental Wintercontact whatever.

>You can literally buy an AWD ecobox for under 10k at VERY most, Practically new.
I'm not interested.

Because why bother when you dont drive in any manner where AWD is necessary or would make any difference?

Not everybody needs or wants it. Now, stop acting like you're the shit because you have an AWD Mitsushitsi

nice picture

The FWD car that rescues Jeeps.

>tripfag wants to be correct
>tripfag doesn't understand center of thrust and center of gravity
>tripfag trying to prove his point by being wrong

If you add more drag behind the center of gravity, like pulling the handbrake and slowing/locking the rear wheels, ice aside, you make the FWD even more stable. Please fuck off on my anonymous sheep shearing forum.

Yeah he's gonna be scandi flipping his DD on the way to the supermarket...

We do love our pigmeat.

I don't know about you, but I hoon on my way to get groceries or run errands.
Live it up a little, just make sure you have some money saved away for some tickets.

Low energy as fuck. Have a pity-(you) and improve your game.