/EVG/ - Electric Vehicle General

Electric Vehicle General - Tesla Drama Never Ends edition
-------
News:
-New Mercedes Concept EQ looks... interesting youtube.com/watch?v=vYZGKHc2zdY
-Global Electric Car Sales Jump 63 Percent bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-21/global-electric-car-sales-jump-63-percent-as-china-demand-surges
-Daimler Is Going to Electrify Its Entire Mercedes-Benz Van Range fortune.com/2017/11/20/mercedes-benz-vans-electric-daimler/
-i3 recall due to... small females? insideevs.com/bmw-to-issue-stop-sale-and-voluntary-recall-for-all-us-i3s/
-Volkswagen accelerates push into electric cars with $40 billion spending plan reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-investment-electric/volkswagen-accelerates-push-into-electric-cars-with-40-billion-spending-plan-idUSKBN1DH1M8
-Tesla finally opens up Model 3 orders to regular reservation holders electrek.co/2017/11/21/tesla-model-3-order-regular-reservation-holders/

Other urls found in this thread:

insideevs.com/south-korea-plug-in-ev-sales-exceed-10000-ytd-for-first-time-ever/
youtu.be/t3F-8QnmNW0
youtube.com/watch?v=aaymV0nn4kQ
comma.ai/
emotorwerks.com/about/enewsso/blog/85-emotorwerks-products/79-bolt-on-conversion-kits
koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20171123000669
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tesla should get into Formula-E, that would be nice.

Tesla keeps pushing regular carmakers to come with EV cars. Especially the current Hyundai Ioniq will probably sell good in Europe because of the range, the options and good pricing.

It would be complete PR suicide to lose at "your own game". Especially with all the fanboys who actually think the model S is some sort of ferrari since they've never looked at a laptime in their life

>tfw no sedan Chevy Volt in Europe
>tfw only that minivan egg Bolt aka e-Ampera

the ioniq is doing great in SK insideevs.com/south-korea-plug-in-ev-sales-exceed-10000-ytd-for-first-time-ever/

The bolt would be selling amazingly in Europe, but the supply just isn't there

The e-Ampera costs 10K more than the Ioniq.

how about the Zoe?

10k for 110 extra miles of range is a steal. That's better than getting the LR package in a 3

Normans don't know what Formula E is, though.

I wonder if the Feds are going to let Tesla release the Semi with just cameras instead of mirrors. They've been trying to do cameras withe S and X, but the feds keep blocking.

a lot of other companies want to go mirrorless as well. Just look at any concept car of the last 8 years.

I think there is a good chance they collectively get the law changed. After that, it would be nice to shitcan the future requirement of fake noise in EVs...

Sample size of 1; but my rural truck driving friend follows it

Maybe if you eurofags didn't use 220v you could enjoy a Chevy Volt

>you could enjoy a Chevy Volt
>enjoy a Chevy Volt
>Chevy
>enjoy
what am I missing here?

literal actual EE god sasha anis finally finished the blue lightning tesla rear drive swapped evora

youtu.be/t3F-8QnmNW0

thing's a fucking bullet

i pray to god he sells the instrument cluster + ECU + code combo since it lets you use a tesla drive with Volt batteries and that allows for some easy conversions

>EE god
>connected a drive unit, motor controller, and batteries together
Woah man he's like Rainman and Thomas Edison combined

im not against evs, but what pisses me off is tesla fanboys. i even like electric cars, but mostly ones built in their garages by some madman, not some soyboy garbage

>soyboy
Stopped reading there

one day i will build some electric madmanmobile too, and it will sit next to my ice car in garage.
only ev i will own ever, will be self built.
a man can dream.

well in fact you did read whole post.
soyboy.

I hope you like working with 800V DC

i like my 4bangers and cheap turbos more, but if ev technology doesnt remain shit as it is now. well, why not..

>soyboy.
stopped reading right there

lots of improvement can comes from the software as well. The digital connections between the pedals-drivetrain-motors-battery is just as important as the size of the stators. Just look at Tesla; they've shaved a half second off of 0-60 times through software updates

start learning C++, lad

>10k for 110 extra miles of range is a steal

My prius drives 600 miles on 1 tank, it sure is a steal for 20k!

apples to oranges dude

Kek, put hybrids onto that chart

Vauxhall Ampera is the Volt. I believe they discontinued it in 2015.

getting tesla anything to play nice with anything else is a fucking hellish proposition

It's an AC induction motor, any motor controller can run it. There's no magic or secret sauce to "play nice" with.

not that simple, go read up on efforts to get tesla drivetrains to work with conversions. Generally people need to do super hacky implementations, more careful builds alter the control of the inverter and operate the motor entirely through that

>super hacky
Wow man totally didn't realize you need a black hat cryptohacker to unlock the mainframe backdoor
It's a simple electric motor. Just because it has a cool logo on it doesn't mean it's different than your washing machine motor. If you want to use Teslas controller the only "hack" is reverse engineering all the CAN signals needed to and from the motor, which has been done already so now equates to copy pasting. Or just use an off the shelf controller and not worry about that. Neither path requires more than rudimentary knowledge of AC motors.

again, go and read up on people trying it.
what makes things worse is that early model S motors and inverters seem to have gone through lots of iterations even within the same model year so one setup won't work for everyone. it's a pain

the new TM3 PM motors should be a bit easier to work with.

Will be a while before anyone will be able to get their hands on one though

I don't need to read and regurgitate forum posts to understand how an AC induction motor works

Quite the opposite, permanent magnet is much harder to deal with for a DIYer (as well as more dangerous)

really? I've always heard the opposite

youtube.com/watch?v=aaymV0nn4kQ

The motor itself is more simple, but with permanent magnet AC sensing the position of the rotor is much more critical and you can't just shut one down while moving because it's going to create voltage no matter what while slowing down. I wouldn't expect to see any high voltage PMAC motors on anyones garage jobs anytime soon.

alright, since it's easy peasy for you, go ahead and grab a tesla drivetrain off ebay for not too much and make a custom motor controller for it, or get a popular aftermarket ecu to use it
if you make a kit, set it for massive cash, it's easy right?

I really like the interior on the Ioniq, that steering wheel and the soft-touch is pretty comfy. I'm hoping the plug-in will have some decent power, haven't test drove the symbiotic hybrid. My Fit EV sets a pretty decent bar for electric performance for me and I'm hoping the Ioniq's will at least be somewhat redeemable, or at least fun-ish to drive.

Why does everyone act live EV's are "new" technology?

lolwhat new≠new. go be divisive somewhere else

The concept and the basic ideas aren't new, the technological advancements and the applications thereof however are.

The Gas industry has been trying to keep electric cars from mainstream penetration ever since the inception of mass-market cars. For most people electric cars are new and exciting to them.

After some attempts such as the Baker, Electric cars have never had mainstream penetration. I'd call the EV1 an exception but GM built those cars with the full-intention of ripping it's wings off after it's existence wasn't legally mandated after the Cali ZEV regulations were overturned.

Right up until the Model S started getting major press coverage as well as YouTube traffic basically no one outside of a few engineers, hobbyists, historians, and the wealthy gave a fuck about electric anything full stop.

The fact the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt even exist is a big deal in the grand scheme of automotive history.

Tell me about capacitors, super capacitors, ultracpacitors, and aerogel capacitors...

>i3 recall due to unbelted females

Is this really a serious test? I mean I knew US safety regs were getting stupid, but the passenger has to be safe while the car is in motion without a seatbelt?

This reminds of those Ford prototypes in Demolition Man.

>how about the Zoe?
Enjoy renting the batteries

Do you guys know any hub motor manufacturers other than QS Motor? I am planning to make an EV conversion using them.

Also, is there many conversions or production cars that use hub motors? Only that I know of is the Luka EV

when will autonomous driving become mainstream?

When the last goys die of unemployment.

But 220V is better for charging than 110V.

So did Model 3 LR make 75 obsolete or something, unless they are coming out with an updated model

Why are all eevees either
>boring city runabouts
>massively expensive "performance" cars
>unpractical beyond reason
why can't we just have nice things?

an affordable hothatch or even just a normal hatchback with great range and minimalistic design would be great

When there's an easy drop-in, and turn key solution for your existing vehicle, assuming government regulation doesn't get in the way.

comma.ai/

Alternatively we're moving closer to fully-autonomous cars operating on services like Lyft and Uber. In big metropolitan areas and cities where just owning and parking a vehicle is a major expense and hassle, automated ride share services could be very competitive. For small town America (the majority of the country), it will be a luxury feature on new expensive vehicles.

If you took my Fit EV and added some decent tech and quadrupled the range and bumped up the power output just a bit you'd have your hot and practical hatch.

The 2nd gen Leaf is looking neat, but I seriously doubt it will be redeemable from a performance standpoint, and that 150 mile range is tough for long trips even with DC fast charging.

My money's on either a 2nd gen Bolt, the Model 3 assuming production continues without major issue, or the Sport EV Concept assuming Honda ever makes this damn thing.

S is due for a refresh soon, yes

I would buy it but I don't have 1.9 million and I want to keep all the cars I have. :(

If Honda does make that thing, I hope it looks a little more..."carish". I mean, that picture is just a concept and all and 90% of the time the concept looks nothing like the actual road car and is usually highly exaggerated futurist garbage but even so I hope they make the car better looking.

what the fuck dude that car looks great as is desu
got that boxy look to it

There are a bunch of Fiat 500e's around me for under 10k, does anyone have experience with one?

$15,000 for a bolt on EV kit for e46 BMW's

emotorwerks.com/about/enewsso/blog/85-emotorwerks-products/79-bolt-on-conversion-kits

>15 grand
>100 mile and 6 seconds to 60
that seems like kind of low performance for the price, needs more range
does the kit have the ability to add more batteries to it

Test driving a LEAF 2.0 at home this sunday.

Eternally waiting for VAG to absolutely destroy Tesla. There is no way in a million years Tesla has or can maintain a technology advantage over Volkswagen, especially not after the '17 Le Mans and the LMP1 rule changes.

VW's big issue is that being so large, they have huge momentum and are probably bogged down by lots of regulations and internal processes
tesla can change directions much faster, and being tesla they're attracting all the good R&D talent away from everyone else

Yeah, Tesla has the market almost in it's entirety right now, but starting a car company is hard as shit. For instance, every single performance car company in the world could build the new Roadster, but they don't have the marketing department to back something like that up and actually sell them. The one advantage that Tesla does have in being a startup is that they get away with a LOT of bullshit in terms of QC and production.

>but they don't have the marketing department to back something like that up and actually sell them
tesla needs zero marketing, they got lucky enough to essentially be their own hype phenomenon. there will be waiting lists for the model 3 for a while
but yes, volume production is going to be hard

by contrast, volkswagen is just volkswagen, generally considered boring

Now I just want a Morgan EV with four wheels 2bh.

Varies Wildly is probably waiting for a handout from Fuhrer Merkel.

koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20171123000669

yay, another shit sub-350km range EV.
either cut the price of this crapboxes or do the right thing and stick 50+kwh packs in them, jeez

It looks like futurist garbage. It doesn't look like a car. Same thing with the urban EV (which I like the boxy look of, but still falls into the over futurist trap). I'm sure it'll look more..."realistic"...by the time it comes out.

*if it comes out