Differential problems

How the hell did my brother accomplish this? Its a 1992 chevy c1500 truck and its never goes off road except for the small stretch of dirt road he lives down. It was poorly maintained but doesnt it require serious abuse to bust one of these? Does anyone have any input on this or stories of diff issues?

I mean, if you never ever change the diff oil and the diff is made of subpar materials to begin with, it's totally possible for friction material (dust, metal shavings) to jam up the gears. Let's say you're turning at a high speed, that momentary jam coupled with old fluid that no longer has adequate lubricity could cause the teeth of the gears to splinter apart.

Change your oil.

I don't see the problem here. It's a completely ordinary GM 7.5" 10-bolt diff doing what it does best.

Not my fault hes a normie

Your faggot brother was doing a gay burnout through water then suddenly hit a dry patch.

>gm 10 bolt
That's why. Ask me how I know. If he never changed the gear oil, then it was just a ticking time bomb

most likely this

>GM 10 bolt
Nothing out of the ordinary.

I had a spider gear shatter in an 8.8 before, ring and pinion chewed it up and it still worked for about a month till i got around to fixing it.

It happens.

Or hit a submerged pothole.

somebody please explain this ten bolt meme to me. starting with what is a ten bolt. do fords or toyotas use a ten bolt?

GM only, has 10 bolts in cover. Fucking dogshit.

>please spoonfeed me: The Post

You know over in /a/ they ban retards like you.

He could have done what I did... drop the clutch.

The problem seems to be some broken gears in the differential.

Oh well. These things are a dime a dozen home boy.

Are diff rings normally forged/machined or sintered?

Not him, but on places like Veeky Forums and /k/, we handle hobbies that require a little bit of context for things.

Like If I start spouting off about “lol, muh wound vectors”, it would take a bit of a leap for a newfag to understand that I was making fun of a specific tripfag and their obsession with 5.7x28.

On /a/, all that’s required is that you understand what thread you’re in and that you watch the appropriate anime for that thread. Bam. Context to somewhat understand the memes.

It’s a barrier that, while a vocal minority enjoy it, others don’t give a flying fuck, especially when it comes to technical shit.

We’re here to learn.
Not google.
Not some other automotive board.
Not bing.
But Veeky Forums.
It’s more quality discussion than your bitching about him not knowing has been or ever will be.

My issue wasn't in him not knowing what a 10 bolt is. My issue was that by simply reading some of the shitposts that followed up his original question he could easily infer:

1.) The responses could be related to the differential he posted about.
2.) Perhaps that truck has something called a "GM 10 bolt"
3.) It looks like there are memes about this so called 10-bolt
4.) Those memes are about said 10-bolt breaking.
5.) searching for GM+10bolt+problem would probably turn up something related to his query

It's the sheer laziness or refusal to do any amount of research on someones own that I take issue with, not ignorance.

And instead of pointing out those posts and calling him a fucktard, which is at least SLIGHTLY useful, you just whine about how they ban idiots like him on /a/.

You aren’t even trying to fix the problem of people not knowing to fully read a thread before posting; you’re just being a dumbass and trying to sound high and mighty.

Teach them to learn for themselves and maybe you’ll have done something for the world instead of being an idiot.

Pointing out another boards policies is not the same as whining or complaining. This board doesn't exist to solve your or anyone else's problems, and it sure as hell isn't a replacement for a search engine. Think about it for a second: Do you think by simply answering his questions like a Forum Master 9000 is going to help anything? Do you really think cleetus mcfucky is going to suddenly have a spiritual awakening from you attempting to "teach them to learn"?
No, it will just encourage more individuals who can't be bothered to perform 10 seconds of research before creating a thread on: "help brake disc failed how 2 fix?" Not every post needs to be helpful and i'll be damned if i'm going to contribute to the problem from my perspective.

That's cool and all but at the end of the day I'd much rather see people teaching others about automobiles and automobile parts than shitposting about corvette vs gtr or whatever

yes, i am familiar with how this works. and thank you.

>1-5
i can literally get through step 4. again, like said this is why some of us are here. you wrote so much, and added so little.

i'm not even going to highlight your other posts. the amount of bitching is just silly. i'm not going to google the root the ten bolt meme while i'm busy doing actual productive things on my pc. given that i'm not going to take two hours of my evening out to research differentials, a two minute google scan isn't much more valuable than a quick and dirty answer from an user. and the results would hardly be replacement for even a moderate amount of research. i would go so far as to wager than you talk about how easy access to information at our finger tips is actually bad for (((this generation))), all the while shilling for me to jfgi. christ, don't you fucking get it?

listen to

>He actually spent his money on a fucking GM product

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bitch please. Its an auto

He probably never changed the diff oil. The previous owner of my Jeep never changed it so I had to replace it.

Good thing too. I found one in the junkyard with 135k miles 3.7 gears and positraction

It has 207k miles and i doubt its ever been done

With all of those moving parts a lot of normies really take for granted how easy it is to maintain a fuckin differential.

You know, the amount of abuse most car parts get (from neglect) they stand up pretty well. My neighbours slushbox shit the bed a couple months back and I asked when he last had the fluid flushed
>Oh yeah I get the mechanic to do the oil with my yearly service
No no the transmission
>What do you mean? It's only the engine that has oil

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of all cars on the road today will never get their tranny flushed until something else shits the bed so hard they just get a new car.

Forgot to mention he'd had that car since 98 and it had never had the auto fluid changed - neither has my mum after owning her Subaru Legacy since 2009.

>10 bolts in cover

You mean ring gear, right?

NO

I got a used 2001 f150 with 170k miles and first thing i did was change everything. New spark plugs diff fluid, flushed the trans with new filter new engine oil etc...i dropped the trans pan and the factory trans plug was still in the pan. The guy probably never had the pan dropped. The factory gasket was still on the damn thing and the rear diff magnet was caked in extremely fine slimey metal shavings and the fluid smelt awful feont diff fluid wasnt much better. Im amazed he didint break the thing from poor mantainance

>We’re here to learn.
>Not google.
>Not some other automotive board.
>Not bing.
>But Veeky Forums.

You know when you are watching a movie and a moment comes up that is embarrassing and cringy to even watch, that you have to double check the room to make sure no one saw you watching that nonsense or else they think you will like it? This post is exactly that.

GM 10 bolt be like

Ripping skids and hit a curb.

Then you'd be wrong.

Congrats.

>It was poorly maintained

I went 9.80s on a stock small spline 10 bolt with just a mini spool

That’s how it should be around here more desu

Yep, I've been there. Blew the teeth off of 3 sets of ring and pinions in my Wranglers stock Dana 35 axle. Swapped a Ford 8.8 in and got about 55k miles on it before the carrier exploded. Rebuilt it myself, new bearings, gears and an ARB air locker.

jesus fucking christ I hope you fixed that retarded pattern

>retarded pattern
Have you looked at an installation manual and forums? The pictures they show as being 'good to go' are a lot worse than that.

Some gear sets just set up all fuckey like that. When its far on the heel on one end, and far on the toe on the other, there's no real way to improve one without compromising the opposite side. The Dodge 9 1/4 are particularly bad for it, but they still last forever as long as the mechanic and owner aren't retards.

This is why i didn't even try to set new gears