How do you feel about digital gauge clusters?

youtube.com/watch?v=FhQE9Jf5sQ0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CP7ijUkgc-4
youtube.com/watch?v=PMJkYaXhhGQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If it eliminates the need for a tablet in the middle of the dash, they are acceptable, if they support Apple Carplay/Android Auto, they are alright, otherwise a gimmick.

What happens when the battery dies

what do you need the gauge after the battery dies? Analog gauges are useless as well in that case.

To see the battery voltage so you know the battery died and not something else.

I'm used to it on motorbikes, but I only like it in cars when they go all out with the design, like in your video. I love the different modes and the way the gauges change.
The biggest problem is when they use shitty screens or low resolutions.
>If it eliminates the need for a tablet in the middle of the dash, they are acceptable
Fucking this.

Check the battery voltage with a multimeter?

We've had digital gauges for like two decades now.
The thing is now that instead of the cluster taking the PCM's signal and translating it to where the needles on the cluster are, you're kinda bypassing that and just displaying it all on an LCD screen.
Honestly, as long as it's a rotary-style tach I'm OK with it. I don't care if it's a digital display for my speed.

I really hope more automakers start doing this. I don't like Audi, but eliminating the center console is a fantastic idea. I hope Ford does it for the next Mustang to free up some center console space.

What year is it? 1984?

youtube.com/watch?v=CP7ijUkgc-4
>related

>tach shaped to highlight peak horsepower
nice.

I know right? Def the best feature, why don't all tachs have a torque curve?

>mod your engine
>curve is no longer relevant
Nice

its prettier and cooler than analog but could probably lead to eye fatigue and blinding the driver if the backlight settings are shitty

now, projected displays, those are the real cool shit

OLED with a dark theme solves that. Pixels showing black are literally turned off

They should let devs have some code access for custom skins but that's just me.

Real question: is there an app or some kind of device that plots torque vs. RPM in real time?

OLED will burn in if it's used as a car dash. Too many static elements

>just like every tacho with a redline ever

Yeah but if it's only really going to show the same stuff for most of its life it's fine

only poorfags hate it because they can't have it.

I feel like the speedo at least should always be analog. A digital tach can suffice because if you know your engine you can tell where you are by the sound of the revs. Everything else is tertiary.

>the best way of displaying a numeric value is an analog dial

Wrong way around dickhead. Have you ever driven a car?

Miss me with that gay shit.
Give me the composite gauge cluster.

Are you fucking retarded?

I prefer an analog tach because I actually use it as a powerband pointer and not to know the exact RPMs I'm at. Is it pointing at the bottom left corner? Shit man, that's lugging it. Is it pointing at the top left quarter? I could go faster and have room to downshift to accelerate. Is it in the top right? I'm going pretty fast and don't have room to downshift unless to decelerate. Is it nearing the right centerline? Do not downshift. Like I care if it's at exactly 13,000 or 14,000.

A digital speedo on the other hand is useful because cops pull you over for 6 over but not 5 over

Are you? Digital tachs are fucking shit

A tach isn't needed at all, kid.
Fucking bus riders.

It is if you actually have revs and everything between peak power and redline sounds the same

IT'S HAPPENING

I was pretty weary of them and it was definitely on my not so good list when I bought my civic but now that I got around to getting used to it it's actually kinda nice. however I'd still go with analog if the car my next car had an option

here's a gif

They lag and freeze in winter.

You gonna have to go get your car dyno'ed, they give you a printout with the graph showing that curve

I don't like them.
I like to keep the illusion that I'm driving a mechanical apparatus, powered only by fire, iron, oil, levers and gears and stuff like that. Even if gauge clusters have been powered electrically for many decades now, a needle feels more real, like a part of the engine sticking out.
To clarify: I don't like purposefully retro interiors, they usually look gaudy and shitty.

Because people who are worried about their torque curve know that the second you start modifying and tuning that those things completely change.

Your dyno tells you where it should be.

I think they're good, only if designed right. Meaning I wouldn't mind digital clusters if they have solid blacks, have very good brightness, lasts at least 10k years and if it breaks, changing the display would be easy (can DIY), and basically look good to the eye (font, color, etc. wise). Also, it would be nice to see it not be expensive as fuck, but judging the prices of these days already, they probably will be come a standard feature just to fucking make us spend more money on the car.

this looks kind of neato

it bothers me that all modern digidashes imitate analong ones.

for fucks sake, 80's cars were more original with them

I love it in my B9 A4... But I had no idea it could do google street view too, Or is that just a TT thing since it doesn't have a center dash screen (mine does still).

>No ultra customizable FOSS digital gauge made from non botnet parts.

why Veeky Forums?

They should go big and stop pretending to be analog clusters but on a screen, or go home and leave room for actual analog clusters.
The current ones are dangerously boring.

2008 Toyota Crown Hybrid
youtube.com/watch?v=PMJkYaXhhGQ