/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog General. Here we talk about all things Sonic! Share art and music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #821 - Good Sonic RPG Never Ever Edition

>Link CompilationSonic News<
Sonic Mania vids:
6 Minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/uB9RP2SV8HY
Green Hill Boss : youtu.be/X1GZbQgtGLY
Chemical Plant : youtu.be/4TX2I3iUORQ
youtube.com/watch?v=52UGIIIp9WE
Pre-order Trailer: youtu.be/wvD8NZN9Zsg

Sonic Forces vids:
Sonic Forces Main Theme Lyrics Rvealed - Fist Bump: youtu.be/XI97jY3FZ9Q
Sonic Forces E3 trailer: youtu.be/dprxYd_16Ck
7 minutes of Gameplay: youtu.be/fyTzm8WgtlE
Full level Gameplay: youtu.be/6g6_rRqjlCI
Avatar Gameplay: youtu.be/TJZfptketUc

>Drawfag/Writefag Idea WallsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9wQojS0lxpXy1vZHpRcjJtekU/view
youtube.com/watch?v=RXYaecOvQ18
youtube.com/watch?v=Dnrd4MkY0Go
gilvasunner.bandcamp.com/track/door-into-a-hundred-summers
youtu.be/ILBAZfMGQdk?t=1m23s
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/885262563415437314
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I would kill for a good Sonic RPG. Which company do you guys think is most suited to make one? I was thinking Obsidian, maybe.

SONIC, DEAD OR ALIVE

>heroesfag is also rpgfag

kys

Limit?

Fucking based

Start by revisiting the comic origin story. Eggman and his new Egg Bosses conquer an island kingdom, Sonic makes friends with the island's princess, the two get a ragtag band of friends together and kick Eggman out of town. The main problem is the gameplay would have to be slowed down, make it like Boom except not shit so you can incorporate all the characters. Since the gameplay is slower, you can afford to make it longer than the average Sonic game, make it more of an adventure game. Doing so would allow for plenty of character dialogue to establish everyone's personalities and give them just enough character development to be interesting. After that, pay attention to fan feedback and see what the fans liked and disliked. Bring back characters if they make sense for future games, give them spinoffs if there's enough support.

If I knew compupers I'd add a Sonic boom effect when you break the sound barrier.

>Fumie Kumatani left SEGA in 2008, but still stuck around until Colours
Fuck.

Reminder to change the development kit link in OP which for some reason went back to the old version

drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9wQojS0lxpXy1vZHpRcjJtekU/view

This reminds me why couldn't the Custom Character just be thrown into some sort of RPG instead of a platforming game. I would think it would be better desu.

Is there any game that used Custom Creator for platforming type of games?

>tfw Otani is only composing the entire soundtrack for Sonic games because there's no one else to compose with him

Whoops. I had a text file saved for the OP, sorry about that.

Kenichi Tokoi is still at SEGA according to the credits for the Rio Olympics game. Jun is just existing in the background for now sadly.

Posting best Fumie composed track.
youtube.com/watch?v=RXYaecOvQ18

Does anyone else really like Soar? He's by far my favourite Boom OC and I think he could easily work in the main universe.

Didn't know he showed up enough to warrant an actual name.

That's an interesting idea. It shouldn't be too hard code-wise. Just add an additional script that reads Sonic's current rigidbody velocity and compares it to the threshold. Then it's a matter of making an effect that plays when it happens and goes away if Sonic drops below the number.

Beautiful

Didn't even catch that. Thanks, broski.

I just want Ohtani to get more help

>red Sonic
kek

Does anybody know any good sonic related mashups?
Dropping some
youtube.com/watch?v=Dnrd4MkY0Go
gilvasunner.bandcamp.com/track/door-into-a-hundred-summers

Thoughts on Lost World?

none

Iizuka's failed Mario game.

Takahito Eguchi, although he's probably the cutscene guy. And Naofumi Hataya composed some stuff I guess. Ohtani needs more than that for sure.

Alright, I've made some adjustments to the engine and the controls and I'm looking for some feedback:

1.Sonic has 2-gear-diarrhea meaning his sensitivity suddenly decreases when you reach high speed. I was hoping to gradually decrease the sensitivity as your speed increases but it works pretty fine right now.
2.The homing attack reticle is rendered on the gui layer and now it actually checks for a line of sight.
3.You can now homing attack by holding L1 and pressing R1 when reaching 75% of your top speed even on the ground.
4.The homing attack's speed maintains your momentum and is additive, meaning the more you chain your homing attacks, the more speed you gain.
5.The spin-dash is now charged by tapping the jump button.
6.The roll and spin-dash buttons are the same and the action changes depending on your speed.
7.You can no longer exit rolling by letting go of the roll button.
8.The max speed limit is practically removed.

Sorry if the points are all over the place

>ABT has a private twitter now

man, I really wish I cared more. I kinda feel bad but he already tweets so much random shit

AND THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND

Supersonic/hypersonic speed demonstration when?

youtu.be/ILBAZfMGQdk?t=1m23s
This quote sums up the whole franchise desu

It feels exactly like what it is - a third-rate Mario Galaxy ripoff.

I don't really follow him anyway.

Soundtrack is underrated but everything else is meh. Mediocre at its best and completely forgettable at its worst. I do, however, think that it does get more shit that it deserves.

An okay game on its own, but in the context of Sonic it's one of the worst. The fact that it spits in the face of everything that Sonic was founded on while simultaneously trying to shove "classic" aesthetic elements in your face is nothing short of disgusting. It shows that Izuka has no idea what it is that people like about Classic Sonic and just said
>Look! It's got green stripes and brown checkerboards! That means it's classic! You like this, right classic fans? RIGHT?!

Wow! That's some in-depth work! I'd love to see some webms, or a playable demo. Excellent job, man.

I CAN'T WAIT TO POUND HIS SORRY BLUE BUTT

>the homing attack's speed maintains your momentum and is additive, meaning the more you chain your homing attacks, the more speed you gain.
>the max speed limit is practically removed

Most people dislike it. So it's a prime target for contrarians to say it's the best game to show off their unique taste.

Classic Sonic is more than checkerboards & green stripes? How foolish.

It's the Sonic CD of the modern era.

You take that shit back Sonic CD was good.

>tfw no eagle dad bf

What I meant by that is that it's a love it or hate it game that's full of experimentation.

Oh alright that's understandable.

I'm about to blow all your fucking minds.

Team Boom
>Speed: Sticks
>Flight: Soar
>Power: Comedy Chip

So why didn't Sega nippon just let Sega US use the NiGHTs engine for Xtreme, again?

Hell, why the fuck wasn't putting Sonic Team on a system selling Sonic game for the Saturn not SoJ's immediate priority in the first place?

What the FUCK isn't there any Good Sonic toys Damn it.

I know there's a Nendo but shit's not enough.

Give me a Revoltech Sonic for fuck sakes.

Naka threw a fit over them using his engine. In recent news, he's also assblasted over Mania.

Buy the nendo sonic anyways I have it it's dope as fuck.

>So why didn't Sega nippon just let Sega US
Because fuck those filthy gaijin.

>2-gear-diarrhea

>Naka threw a fit over them using his engin

yeah but why

>So why didn't Sega nippon just let Sega US use the NiGHTs engine for Xtreme, again?
Myth. The truth is they were trying out several engines and the prototype using the NiGHTS engine was unoptimized trash. Simply put, STI and SoA fucked up massively and people want to blame everyone but their own incompetence for X-treme failing.

>Hell, why the fuck wasn't putting Sonic Team on a system selling Sonic game for the Saturn not SoJ's immediate priority in the first place?
They were tasked to make non-Sonic IPs to expand Sega's catalogue.

Also a myth.

Naka angry over mania? Link?

>So why didn't Sega nippon just let Sega US
Sega US were some of the most incompetent, inconsiderate gorilla-brains up until the company went third party. I wouldn't have trusted them with running a bath, let alone a video game company.

Was Sonic 1 the right way to do momentum all along? That game has a speed cap and Sonic can only go fast if he rolls downhill as opposed to running.

is he actually angry about mania

>The homing attack's speed maintains your momentum and is additive, meaning the more you chain your homing attacks, the more speed you gain.
This may sound good on paper, but one of my favorite things about the homing attack is it has a rhythm to it. If you make homing attacks get faster the farther you are in a chain, it takes that rhythm away and it's not as satisfying. It's also damn near impossible to design around as you have no idea how fast the player is going to be going when they hit the first target.

I had a similar thought, but I'll withhold judgement until I see it myself. This guy clearly has a focused vision and I'm anxious to see what comes of it.

>All these people doing wonderful things with the GHP Engine
>I've just had it sit on my desktop for weeks

Sometimes I wonder if it's time to pack it up with the little amount of programming knowledge I have. I'm never going to make good games by just having decent art and music.

My biggest fear with making a game in that engine is that /sthg/ and the Sonic community at large will hate it, because of "not-my-Batman" syndrome.

I hope one day you'll come to accept that will always, ALWAYS, happen. Not just with Sonic, but with any fangame based off of a pre-existing franchise.

Thankfullly, you don't need to know how to program to use it. You just drag, drop & rotate shit.

Any time you're worried that your lack of ability will hold you back, always remember Undertale.

>he's also assblasted over Mania
No he isn't.

No proof whatsoever.

>the extreme boost hate in this thread
>not because it plays itself most of the time
>but because "hurrrr you gotta earn your speed through momentum and shiet!"
Someone explain to me the difference between spindash and boost, please. Every time I bring that up, someone chimes in with "It's just different, ok?"

The whole point was so you didn't have to have programming skills in order to make a level. Clearly that other user is going above and beyond to change up the mechanics and gameplay with his programming knowledge, but that shouldn't discourage you one bit.

Real-talk: I put this version of the engine together not so people could more easily make the next Green Hill Paradise, or Utopia, (though that would be pretty rad,) but because I wanted more members of the community to be able to look at Sonic from a developmental standpoint rather than just a consumer one. I wanted /sthg/ to have the opportunity to feel like a member of Sonic Team, but to be able to take the level design and physics in the direction that they feel in their heart is right for the hedgehog.

He's right, you know. You want to know what I did to make ? I made a new Terrain object and I just started painting hills. It took maybe 10 minutes in total without a single line of code. I believe in you, user. Don't be scared. I'm here if you need help. In the words of Miss Frizzle: Take chances, make mistakes and get messy.

Because you need to be at a standstill to use it, you need to charge it, and it only gives an initial burst of speed. Boost can be used at any time, instantly, as long as you have meter, and doesn't end until the meter runs out or you hit an obstacles.

I don't hate boost, but comparing it to a spindash is retarded and indicates your lack of understanding regarding basic design principles.

The spindash doesn't self-perpetuate and outside of Generations it rarely gives you enough speed to overcome every obstacle. It's just a means to get up to a good speed and attack enemies without having to jump or find a stretch of ground to build up to a run on.

People who don't like boost can have fun eating shit while I'm enjoying GOAN FAST in the best 3D gameplay style Sonic has ever had.

>I wanted /sthg/ to have the opportunity to feel like a member of Sonic Team
But I have autism, so I already did.

We're up to Stc #50. This was honestly when the comic began to reach peak awsome imho.
Here's a cover to mark the occasion.

Devil's advocate: doesn't that make the new Drop Dash a more boost-esque mechanic since you don't have to stop to use it?

Have fun having the game play itself for you.

That depends. It is still affected by momentum like the regular spin dash?

WAKING UP, BREAKING OUT

Bethesda open world Sonic RPG roflmao

You don't have to stop, but you do have to make sure you have enough space ahead of you to jump without holding the opposite direction (reducing your forwards momentum) and land on solid ground if you expect to use it for a free speed boost. Plus, boosting raises your top speed, while I believe that the spin dash and drop dash max out a good ways below Sonic's top speed.

>being assblasted over five people

Ignore the samefags, the strawpolls don't lie.

i would date silver

is

mine

Not that user, but boosting doesn't necessarily give you your max speed because tricks like M-Speed and D-Speed exist.

You see that mountain? You can boost on it.

You know, every thread will have it's test
don't blame for what I have become

All this talk of game engines, I really should try out some of these. About the /sthg/ - Level Development Kit, it's 700+MB and Google won't preview. There's nothing in the Link compilation, so what is it?

I'm not up to fast on the various fan-games and engines and there isn't much info in the OP links. A guide of some kind is really needed for all these. (Screenshots/overviews would help a lot her)

Was Utopia a /sthg/ project as well.
How would they be the same? I don't understand the question.

>Every thread will have it is test
Unfortunately yours has a big F on it.

I am who you don't think I am
all wrapped up
in my evil plannnn

>Because you need to be at a standstill to use it, you need to charge it,
That's hardly relevant because the difference is only 3 seconds.
>and it only gives an initial burst of speed.
But that's wrong. If you use the spindash, you will carry on the same speed you did from the initial burst unless you jump. Which is exactly the same as it works in every 3D Sonic game ever that uses the spindash, including Lost World, AND it's the same way the boost works.

>The spindash doesn't self-perpetuate and outside of Generations it rarely gives you enough speed to overcome every obstacle. It's just a means to get up to a good speed and attack enemies without having to jump or find a stretch of ground to build up to a run on.
user, we're not talking about how boost blazes through every enemy. We're talking about why the boost is because it immediately puts you at top speed, which is the same fucking thing the spindash in SA1 did, as well as the Super peel-out from CD. The only difference is there's a windup, and oh wow, that's so different. That totally doesn't break the idea of using momentum to gain speed at all.

Wasted Potential, the game.

The lost Hex could be an interesting concept. Sort of a retread of little planet and Angel island as a lost island in the sky. So obviously let's not explain it or reference it ever.

The zeti are kinda interesting. Some indiginous monsters of the Lost Hex that hate everyone on the surface world, including both Sonic AND Eggman, making them an interesting tertiary Threat. So let's make them all one note and obnoxious.

Sonic and Tails banter is exhausting and Tails' whining is the worst it's ever been.

The color palette and returning enemies look SO good. Too bad the levels feel so odd and disjointed that it's hard to notice.

Sonic's animations are very springy and nice looking and they brought back the peelout AND spindash. Unfortunately he kinda controls obnoxious and needs a RUN BUTTON TO RUN.

I can't get over how they managed to make every wrong decision they could.

twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/885262563415437314
FINALLY. This hotdog meme wasn't that funny to begin with.

I like these adventure's shoes.

>Get ready! Here he comes!
>He's coming wither I'm ready or not, so why even ask?
Do think we'll ever any bantz in Forces?

I can tell you anything you need to know. Firstly, you should know that the current link in the OP is incorrect. The current version is .

With that said, this is a version of the HedgePhysics engine built for the Unity platform. I put together a version of the engine with a few improvements and a few in-engine tips made specifically for the /sthg/ community. It features new character models, animations, shaders and objects not present in the vanilla HedgePhysics engine, making it easier for non-devs to jump in and make their very own Sonic levels without having to know how to program anything. Of course, there is always the option to modify and write your own code if you have the know-how, but it's not a requirement.

If you'd like to see how it plays before even downloading Unity you can download the kit and there will be a built, standalone version of the test level so you can see if it's a platform that you'd like to develop for. Keep in mind that all aspects of Sonic's physics, run speed, camera, etc. can be altered and tweaked to your specific tastes, so you can make an experience that fits your personal vision of how Sonic should play in 3D.

Hasn't Sanic been a dead meme long before Webber decided it was the funniest thing in the world?

the what now

I'm glad I get shielded from these awful social media memes because I avoid social media like the plague.