Will the small pickup truck segment ever make a comeback Veeky Forums?

Will the small pickup truck segment ever make a comeback Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1601-new-nissan-np300-navara-caught-testing-in-u-s-next-frontier/
youtube.com/watch?v=fC8c43Ge-EQ
adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/more-than-2000-cars-crushed-or-sold-since-crackdown-on-hoon-drivers-began-in-sa-in-2010/news-story/38c509fe3ea5bc9ec99422e1232f3148
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably not, but I kinda like it that way. Makes compact pickups more unique and classic feeling. Also judging by the newer Rangers, they would look like shit with 2010s design. Always had a thing for late 90s/early 2000s rangers, tacomas, etc

Nah, make way for "sport utility" vehicles that are actually just expanded cars.

They're breddy sexy t.b.h senpai. I wish we could get new ones though, buy it new and drive it til the wheels fall off.

in the south america they are still a pretty big deal specially with the hues and argies that produce them, and export only to all they beaners neighbors

No.

Depends what part of the world you're in, but they never went away. Like everything else though, a modern "compact" midsize is about the same as a 15 year old 1/2 ton. Same way a modern 1/2 is about the same as a 15 year old 3/4 ton.
>pic related, the successor to OP

No way in hell those will make it to market with today's safety standards.

I just wish they made some rwd mini trucks like that :(

Something tells me you're wrong.
trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1601-new-nissan-np300-navara-caught-testing-in-u-s-next-frontier/

I've never seen that Peugeot one here in Chile.

sadly rwd feature is off the table but they got some version that seems fun to drive with 6 speed manual and turbocharged

That thing is huge compared to the old models. They are more like mid-sized trucks now. My point stands.

never again

>That thing is huge compared to the old models
It's four inches wider and five inches longer.
youtube.com/watch?v=fC8c43Ge-EQ

Than what Op posted, and every other tiny 80s pickup?

Hyundai is doing a Santa Fe pickup for 2019 that could help revive the segment. The design is boring 2010's but it will probably be cheap and rock solid.

Yes
>omg it's 165cm wide and not 155cm
>it's practically undrivable

I would love to have a compact truck that runs well. My MJ hates me and shuts off whenever it feels like it.

Oh god.
I'd rather take the new Ridgeline. At least it LOOKS like a truck.

American Ute when?

Ridgeline looks like a crv with a bed

Nope. They disappeared in the first place because they kept growing until they were nearly as big as the full-sized models. See 2005-2011 Dodge Dakota.

You mean like the current gen Canyon/Colorado? They have gotten so piggu fattu user, h-hold me ;_;

I know that feeling, I threw a bootleg weber on my b2000 to replace the fucked up stock computer controlled one that was just stuck running full rich 24/7.
>the bootleg weber's adjustment screw keeps changing itself with engine vibrations
Just fuck my shit up

>"sport utility" vehicles that are actually just expanded cars.

I believe the word you're looking for is minivan.

NOW

He means crossovers.

OP, they won't come back until the Chicken Tax is repealed.

i love Ford Rangers, I really wanted to buy one but the used market for them where I live is a complete joke, kinda like Honda Civics, everyone wants 1,000 more than they're worth because the vehicle is a meme

looks like they sawed off part of a crossover.

>toyota, mazda, nissan and ford all stopped making small utes and moved to fuckhuge pickups.

fuck you america.

its not small but it aint large either

>muh freedomland
>can't have tiny trucks
top kek

Because they need giant trucks to compensate for tiny dicks

I am halfway to doing exactly that. The wiring is shot to hell anyway. All these god damned sensors constantly going bad.

I doubt it.
I love my Ranger, and small pickups in general.

But even if I was rich I doubt I'd ever buy a new car, unless my income was essentially endless.

The new one, m8. Without the retarded overhangs.

Utes are going to be so expensive now they stopped making them.

Even VS commodore and EF utes are over $6k

not unless Washington changes how fuel regulations are applied.

The reason small trucks died is because in 2009, the way CAFE is applied was changed from a kind of "one size fits all" approach, (which benefitted small cars and nothing else- it's the reason small coupes and hatchbacks and shit were so big in the 80's) to a vehicle's footprint. Meaning a larger vehicle has a much larger footprint, therefore, it has different standards. So a large truck has looser standards than a small truck, because it has a larger size, and therefore by default will be impossible to adhere to the same fuel economy as a small hatchback.

So what happened was, it became unprofitable to make a small pickup truck, when with all the regulations and such as they currently are, the truck would end up being the same price as the larger pickup.

And you can't import small pickups because of the Chicken tax. (not to mention a foreign maker would have to on top of the chicken tax import tariff, also have to adhere to US fuel economy/emissions/safety standards, which adds extra cost)

tl;dr, how CAFE applies to vehicles was changed in 2009, and the way it changed killed small trucks

Oh yes when the 3rd-worlders cause economic collapse we'll all be riding around in one like they do in SE Asia.

I fucking love mini trucks.

The first thing I'd buy if I won the lottery would be a Mazda REPU.

Forgot pic related.

>father had old datsun ute in backyard for years
>sold it just before i was able to drive

What the hell man?

Considering the D22 is literally the same body as OP's D21 with different front panels, I'd say it's exactly the same.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the Chicken Tax thing, as most of the global compact/midsize pickups look set to return to the States anyway. Whether they're manufactured in Thailand and sold domestically like the global market examples, or manufactured in North America is the question. Apparently the Ranger is going to be manufactured here in its return.

Why bother with fiat shit when you can get these?

no

Doubt it.

Shame too, midsize pickups are now fat as fuck now. It wasn't meant to be this way.

The same way a Civic or a Versa can be sold. Also (((safety standards)))

It is also worse for the environment.

You would think greenies would prefer CarTrucks

You mean like this?

In the US no, the EPA killed any chance of it happening again

That is the most aftican american car ive ever seen. Is this really going to production or just a concept?

I thought redneck snowflakes elected Trump and he was going to make America the 1950s again. What happened?

Yes, even that with a big V8 would be better for the environment than a turbo diesel pulling 3-4 tonnes of pickup.

Well i don’t think he can go as far as disbanding the EPA.

It would be great if he did, i don’t think he can though

>EPA killed any chance of it happening again

yes because they don't rate big trucks lmao

well they sort of have to be made in the US to get around the chicken tax.

it's why almost all if not all pickups sold in the US are made here, even the japanese ones.

also the returning Ranger is not a small pickup. it hasn't been a small pickup since it became a rebadged Mazda overseas in 2006. It became a mid-sized pickup.

Probably never. Even back in the small pickup days silverado's out-sold s10's 10-1, F150's out-sold rangers 15-1, etc. Even if the small truck costs half as much as the big one people will still pick the bigger truck as they usually give you more bang for your buck.

Buy a Colo or a Tacoma and stop your bitching. They're not getting smaller anytime soon.

It was always a rebadged Mazda overseas. It was about 2011 when the PX was released is when they grew in size, the previous PJ and PK weren't much bigger than a 90s compact.
Truth is everything has grown, from City, micro, compact cars, midsize and large sedans, right up to half ton and the HDs beyond. The only thing that hasn't really increased in size are class 7 and 8 trucks.
The Ranger still offers a substantial reduction in external size over an F150 whilst offering a much more accommodating cab with all the utility and then some of the previous compact pickups.
I've driven plenty of PX and PX2 Rangers and they're fantastic. The smaller 2.2 Duratorq diesel leaves a little to be desired but the 5 cylinder 3.2 is a fantastic match.

What truck is this?

S10 or Sonoma

>Be Ausfag

>Small trucks

>Small trucks errywhere

dog bless

Australia is unironically the best country on the planet to be a car enthusiast.

Yeah I don't fucking think so. Enjoy your "canaries" and shit you faggots. Just watching that highway patrol show makes me cringe.

>my opinion is formed entirely by television

Typical burger education.

you mean when they pull over P plate drivers who are not allowed to have any modifications on their cars?
you can do pretty much anything you want to cars in aus, pic is a street legal 7 second car.

Speaking of burgers... You guys really shouldn't be calling each other fat.

They pull over and suspend normal people for burnt out bulbs or slightly bald tires... "anti hoon laws" is all I got to say.

Ignorant as fuck.

>fat in Australia vs fat in America
Yeah nah its totally justifiable, Fat in Australia is what Americans call normal, what Americans call fat is what Australians call a land whale and those walking land whales are far and few between and when they are spotted they are pretty much circus freaks.

>clapping intensifies

Do you even know what the anti hoon laws are lol?
because i don't think you do.

>lifted chevy sonic with a bed

I've seen it all now.

Keep telling yourself that.

adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/more-than-2000-cars-crushed-or-sold-since-crackdown-on-hoon-drivers-began-in-sa-in-2010/news-story/38c509fe3ea5bc9ec99422e1232f3148

You guys get somewhat of an excuse because it's 50 degrees out and everything wants to kill you. You're both still really fucking fat compared to a civilized country.

I'm not talking about the autistic as fuck burnout competitions you people have inside barriers. The fact that there's special pavement to prevent burnouts says a lot about your automotive freedom.

>adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/more-than-2000-cars-crushed-or-sold-since-crackdown-on-hoon-drivers-began-in-sa-in-2010/news-story/38c509fe3ea5bc9ec99422e1232f3148

Link doesn't work man.

>that car
>a burnout car
No.
Are you fucking crazy?

>cars crushed for hooning
>all of them are stock standard shit boxes driven by P platers who were caught hooning them recklessly on multiple occasions
tell me more about how this proves your point again?

The link alone says enough.

Then what the fuck is it. You aren't setting any laptimes with that and you aren't hitting up the drag strip with those tires.

Gmc sonoma Xtreme. V6 Automatic

>he thinks you can only own one set of rims
its a show car you dip stick and he probably does take it to the drag strip.

>Get caught hooning in north america with a new licence
>don't act like a nigger and get off with a stern talking to
>?????

>get caught hooning in Australia
>get a warning
>get caught again
>get another warning
>get caught a 3rd time
>get your car crushed

Good way to keep fuckwits off the road to be honest.
Next you will try and defend not having to get a roadworthy on your car like you want some piece of shit with no brakes coming toward your car.

Don't forget:
>Prove you can do a hill start and drive around a rotary
>Immediately allowed to drive a Dodge Demon and do sikk burnouts until you wrap yourself around a pole
None of this communistic graduated license bullshit

>The link alone says enough.

The link is sensationalist garbage.

Surely a burger would be familiar with such things?

Or is your education made up of equal parts television and sensationalist bullshit?

I bet your road accident death toll is more than double any Australian states per 100k people.

ive got a couple Subaru Sambar, handiest fucking little trucks. 4x4 goes anywhere and theyre perfect for picking up an engine or whatever in the back

Stupid people killing themselves is a fair price for freedom.

I know Australians and deal with them all the time. There's a reason why they come here and never go back. They'd rather operate a chairlift then live in that cuckhole. They always get a big pickup or SUV too which is funny.

>This is considered roadworthy in clappistan.

Literally a third world country.

City people aren't even Australians, you can keep them.

RIP
you will be missed

>There's a reason why they come here and never go back.

Yeah, they couldn't handle the bantz.

This, holden/ford utes will become the next version of the rice tax. Every hoon is gonna be going
>muh weight distribution
>hektik skids
>2 door best door
I'm gonna keep mine just as an investment.

>implying cops in rural areas give a shit
Of course cops in cities will fine you dumbass, just don't hoon in central Sydney.

lol come here to north Canada, years back i bought my 88 KingCab sitting in the bush on a farm for $650, drove it until the frame cracked and continued diving it until the frame completely snapped in half and i drove it home then sold it for scrap

glorious land of no inspections

We’re all stupid at that age.
Most of us just never had the money to get a Demon regardless

No. Too many regs make sure manufacturers have to design them to be pigfat for no reason. The new ranger looks like a ridgeline ffs