V6 vs I6

Yeah it's this thread again.
if your a car guy you've heard of i6s powering legendary cars like RBs, 2jz or s54 but are there any v6s with a reputation like that?
>in b 4 muh compact shape
Also might as well mention these engines while I'm here:
BMW s38, s50, s88
Ford barras
Toyota 1jz
Nissan sd33

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xhM_G20sqLc
businesswire.com/news/home/20151211005074/en/All-New-Nissan-Maxima-Engine-Named-“Wards-10
motorauthority.com/news/1025716_nissan-wins-14th-straight-wards-10-best-engines-award
youtube.com/watch?v=ryqmq1ansm0
youtube.com/watch?v=D2OlsCu1tfc
youtube.com/watch?v=9e0GoXL5ctY
youtube.com/watch?v=9D9YgMD85OM
youtube.com/watch?v=oOfG2994p6U
youtube.com/watch?v=cYLKzQzhneE
youtube.com/watch?v=yZkZgaZQ4WQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nwU-nievMY8
youtube.com/watch?v=WHjs-pcyg8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=HVGJus2BGA4
youtube.com/watch?v=SDQb9NskLH0
youtube.com/watch?v=vt5GM9CacuU
youtu.be/b8sOjtdrFRM
youtu.be/ivvEoW2CWN8
youtu.be/D6h5G_TIbN0
youtube.com/watch?v=WoaT-WcOTEg
youtube.com/watch?v=p48X_UJ4ujM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

VG30DETT could make some real power.
The 6G72 also had some real potential

The C30A and C32B in the NSX. And since RBs are mentioned, we might as well throw in the VR38 in the R35 GT-R.

>The 6G72 also had some real potential
The trouble is that everything surrounding the 6G72 breaks. The same applies to the twin turbo 6A13.

Is there a more autism-soothing engine layout than the I6?

No, it's therapeutic

>r35
But what if I don't have a youtube channel or a marginally successful rap album?

That's what I mean. It's therapeutic for me, so it's autism-soothing.

Yeah I mean no there is no engine-layout that is more autism-soothing. I can't imagine living without hearing and feeling my I6's harmonic vibrations every day.

yes French and Italian ones
but I forget all the names

The Busso V6 is the only good sounding V6 I've ever heard

>French cars in general
>Italian v6
Kek

>Nissan sd33

Reliable and good low end torque.
Not every car is made for your tiny French shitbox

I've worked on plenty of them fella, it's not hard to make an engine which makes no grunt reliable. If you were going to pick a Nissan I6 diesel you should have picked a 42, at least they're good project engines.

Put the 6G7x in a Montero. Sorted.

Ford 3.5l EcoBoost

i6 is less common than v6
i6 sounds nicer than v6
i6 wins for me
youtu.be/xhM_G20sqLc

The fomoco Vulcan. It’s slow, has low end torque for days, and lasts forever. Sounds like crap and doesn’t perform great, but I’ll be damned if they aren’t reliable.

Not to mention the various xboxhueg semi truck power plants. Would be impossible with a V6.

>not having owned an italian v6

there's been some famous V6s over the years.
Jag's XJ220 for example. (Although it was supposed to have come with a V12. So twin I6s...)
Still. The twin turbo V6 it got was awesome.
And off course godzillas V6 but that's obvious.
And let's not forget the Busso.
But i must admit that I6's have a magical attractiveness to me. Although i've never owned or driven one.

I think Scandinavia wants a word with you.

h6

Correct me if I am wrong, but I count 8.

That's a V8 you retard.
I think Germany wants a word with you

B I T U R B O
I
T
U
R
B
O

Seriously, this piping gets my dick rock fucking hard.

If you made two engines completely identical other than layout (and firing order obviously), let's say an I6 and a V6 in this case...
>both 3L displacement
>both have same bore x stroke
>same materials and valvetrain design
>etc
Would there even be a difference other than sound and smoothness?
Would one engine have a flatter torque curve?
Would one have a flatter or higher power curve close to redline?
My gut says the differences would be miniscule.

:')

Nissan's VQ engines ranging from the early 90s til now.

businesswire.com/news/home/20151211005074/en/All-New-Nissan-Maxima-Engine-Named-“Wards-10

motorauthority.com/news/1025716_nissan-wins-14th-straight-wards-10-best-engines-award

Mercedes made 12.6 liter v6's so I'm not seing the issue.

youtube.com/watch?v=ryqmq1ansm0

Dino V6, powered such cars as the ferrari dino, fiat dino and lancia stratos (rally champion), turboed to about 560 HP in the seventies, godly sound:

youtube.com/watch?v=D2OlsCu1tfc

Alfa V6 "busso", used in basicaly every big alfa, lancia and fiat in the 80's and 90's, so it tends to be chosen for kit car projects almost like an italian LS. Victories mainly in touring car racing.

youtube.com/watch?v=9e0GoXL5ctY

Maserati V6, first used on Merak and SM, later turboed up to 330 HP (form a 2 liter engine) by the factory in the ghibli 2/quattroporte IV.
youtube.com/watch?v=9D9YgMD85OM
youtube.com/watch?v=oOfG2994p6U

There's also Mazda's K-series V6, which are on the smaller side but like to rev and sound amazing:
youtube.com/watch?v=cYLKzQzhneE
youtube.com/watch?v=yZkZgaZQ4WQ

And then you have the PRV V6, which while it was most of the time choked in the production cars it was used it, sound excellent when allowed to breed and has an enourmous variety of racing wins, from winning the Paris-Dakar, safari rally, and even DTM as the engine of the Alfa 155 TI, cucking the busso. The WM Peugeot team that holds the maximum speed record registered in Le Mans (405 km/h) turboed it to 910 HP, from a 3 liter version. And that's meant for 24 racing, not a dyno queen.
youtube.com/watch?v=nwU-nievMY8
youtube.com/watch?v=WHjs-pcyg8Q

For more modern engines you have the Jaguar AJ126 V6 for sound.
youtube.com/watch?v=HVGJus2BGA4

Sound and smoothness are the same. Biggest difference is that the V6 costs slightly more, and has a slightly higher rev limit.

>replaces you

>Mercedes made 12.6 liter v6's so I'm not seing the issue.
And it was shit. I think Mercedes cancelled their heavy duty V6s and V8s after less than a decade.

why not both?

Yeah V engines in heavy haulage are almost dead.
>tfw a v8 truck moves down through the gears on a jakes brake

>1995-2011
>less than a decade
Nevermind that's just the OM501, and that their V6 diesel series actualy started in 1973 with the OM401. The only reason the V6 and V8 engines were dropped was also because mercedes is trying to downsize their engine range for euro 6.

oh lord pls no

>mfw v6 cucks

t h i c c

This.
Also 6a13tt has no fucking room to work around it even though the engine bay is huge.

>tfw can't buy a big Holset because it wont fit

All would be identical except engine weight and smoothness. Without a balance shaft the I6 would be a lot smoother. The V6 would weigh less and take up less space overall. It's likely the V6 would cost more, but that depends on many other factors than just the engine

Bosso V6

I have one of these. Sounds crazy sexy on a cold morning.

All of those engines you mentioned are piglong, and boat anchors compared to any similar V6.
>The S65 [V8] weighs 202 kg (445 lb), which is 15 kg (33 lb) less than its S54 straight-6 engine predecessor.
Nog imagine an S85 with not two but four cylinders lopped off, it'd be even better than most of those pathetic pigfat I6 engines.

>Is there a more autistic engine layout than the I6?
FTFY.

>The Busso V6 is the best sounding 6cyl I've ever heard
FTFY

A properly balanced V6 wouldn't be a smooth as an I6, but that doesn't matter in a world where NVH engineering is so good that we literally have to pipe induction sound into the cabin.
Power and torque curves would be indentical, but of course the V6 would be smaller and lighter.

>It's likely the V6 would cost more,
>Biggest difference is that the V6 costs slightly more,
No. The block on an I6 is bigger, and a bigger casting too, which means that quality control is harder. The same goes for the crankshaft. Two small castings are always easier and cheaper than a single big one. Also, a company can use a V6 both for transverse and longitudinal applications, which can reduce overall costs because you can use it in more cars.

flat 12 imo

>French cars in general
>PSA in general
PRV and its 5 speed manual gear box get bad rep
ESL and CH are better

>Italian v6
dino and busso are gud
what snoozefest do you like ?

>The Busso V6 is the best sounding 6cyl I've ever heard
Nope, I6's will always sound better.

>piglong
Since when do pigs represent excessive length? What a retarded metaphor. You should've said "eel-long" or "donkeydicklong". Anyway nobody really cares unless they're an engineer trying to design a car.

>AJ126
WHY DON'T JUST MAKE A 5.0 SUPERCHARGED XE PAJEET THE FUCKING BLOCK FITS YOU ENGINEERING HACKS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Because the head design on those things is retarded.
Actually, every single design on those things is retarded beyond measure. Almost as bad as the AJ126.

Because that is an awful engine design. I have yet to see one of these that doesn't just leak like mad on the inner two cylinders after about 80k miles.

>Nope, I6's will always sound better.
That's a nice opinion have there, too bad it's wrong.

>Since when do pigs represent excessive length?
It derives from pigfat, which also applies to I6 engines.

>Anyway nobody really cares unless they're an enthousiast who doesn't like terminal understeer in his FMR godmachine

I think inline 6's are cool, but are a packaging nightmare for standard passenger vehicles. Leave them to trucks and proper utility vehicles.

Packaging nightmare? For what, a Ford Fiesta?
Cars should have a long hood.

Cars should have a long hood with an engine set back behind the front axle line. An I6 has packaging that makes that nigh on impossible.

straight cylinder engines are always better, V engines you get opposing thrust forces from the 2 cylinder banks that makes you lose power at the crank. theyre inherently flawed like Subarus Boxer engines, straight engines you get equal force at the crank and make more torque and power. the only literal flaw of straight engines is straight 8 or more cylinder can get headgasket issues from length but straight 6 is the perfect engine

the only reason weve strayed alway from straight engines is most newer shitty SUV are transverse 4x4 or cars are FWD, theyre the best engine design room permitting

VQ were a mess of oil burning and timing chain issues, VG30E were about the best V6 Nissan made

Why should cars have a long hood?

Aesthetics, and crumple zone for safety.

V6 usually sounds pretty shit.
i6 almost always sounds good.
Just because alfa has always been using anemic v6s doesnt mean they are the best sounding engines, alfa cuck

Inline engines sound better at low RPM's, whereas V engines sound better at high RPM's. Prove me wrong.

V6 doesnt sound better neither at low or high rpm.

The point of was that straight setup delivers big power in trucks.
My point in was that a V setup can also do that.
But would've been a more appropriate example.

A work horse is a work horse.
and fuck off You work on engines

>Eco boost

>r35
>Godzilla
Pick one

They were good. Worked well in hwy and earthmoving applications like 40 tonne Bell/Hitachi dump trucks. The reason they superseded them with inline sixes is to do with the acquisition of Detroit Diesel and joint developing powerplants between the two companies.
Straight setups in highway trucks are just easier to balance. Since that's the standard and most trucks are designed to accommodate the configuration, it's just the norm.

does the VR30 count senpai

V6s are shit performance and great economy engines.

N/A V6s slow and super/turbo charged V6s are laughable at best.

>wrong

Yes, such amazing sound (it's sarcasm btw)

youtube.com/watch?v=SDQb9NskLH0

I only have mine to go by but I have 220,000km without the slightest sign of a leak. My old volvo redblocks (I had 3 volvos) on the other hand took a quart almost every other fill up

>1.6 V6 hybrid
>probably about 1000bhp

How can anything else compete?

You picked the shittiest i6 exhaust sound ever but it still sounds better than the new Alfas twin turbo V6.

>needs a full engine rebuild every 31k miles

>6.5l naturally aspirated V12
>combined 1,130hp with KERS

Lmao doesn't. The new BMWs sound fucking horrible. Here have what an I6 should sound like

youtube.com/watch?v=vt5GM9CacuU

>new bmws sound horrible
For an i6, yes.
But the new alfas sound even worse.
youtu.be/b8sOjtdrFRM

>Biggest difference is that the V6 costs slightly more, and has a slightly higher rev limit.

is it more like the shorter crank of the V6 handles revs better, and thus they're usually let to rev more?

>>laughable at best

You proved his point.

That sounds a lot better than the current M3.

That 240 needs a higher redline.
This is what a god tier 6 cyl sounds like
youtu.be/ivvEoW2CWN8

Yeah nah. M3 has a higher redline which helps for the sound.
The giulia sounds worse than my moms v6 crossover.
youtu.be/D6h5G_TIbN0

youtube.com/watch?v=WoaT-WcOTEg

something like this? and yes the E34 sounds godly

>opposing thrust forces from the 2 cylinder banks that makes you lose power at the crank.
WTF are you trying to say. That's totally wrong.

Not saying the Giulia sounds too good, but the M3 just sounds too muted by the turbos and so bland, and the burbles are too much. I would still say the Giulia sounds better. Both of course miles ahead the AMG, fuck crossplane V8s sound disgusting.

The i6 would be easier to work on.
only one valve cover, head, ect.
Although it would be larger, you would have more room on either side of it making it easier to access.

3 8 0 0

Diesel mech by trade and the SD33 has nothing to recommend it over other underpowered diesels, calling an engine a workhorse because its underpowered could be applied to just about any non turbo inline pumped engine. If you want an actual workhorse from that time period get yourself an Isuzu 4b.

Hi.

B O G A N | W O R K S

how do we fix the i6, bros?

>all V6 engines sound bad

youtube.com/watch?v=p48X_UJ4ujM

Thanks for proving the point.

v8 gets me way more than i6

ooh the big cum

VR38DETT
Nuff said.

Maybe a bit too much rasp but otherwise aight

Flat 6

PETTAN PETTAN TSURUPETTAN!

One of the worst engines overall outside of a plane. They sound horrible, are shit at making power and are bigger than a pushrod V8.

That picture is a legit comparison isn't it, a long motor next to a complete motor with exhausts, intake, aircon, air filter etcetc
> are shit at making power
I spose that's why they occupy about 3 out of the top 10 places for specific output atm.