/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Really activated my world edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2MKGy2cg4Wk
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Calendar)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for kangz

the logs went into "No recent events" already
they didn't specifically mention the sapling, only 5 different bodyparts taking the full blow and cleaving asunder, head included. i've never had a 1 zlevel drop be anywhere near this fatal, so my conclusion is that the sapling must have done it

3rd for ROMANCE W H E N

I found my waifu in the game and I want to romance her.

Any recommended mods for adventure mode? Races, items, added abilities etc.?

Started playing recently and have been following a couple of guides such as the Getting started guide, and Dave's. I've had two fortresses now that have suffered repeated attacks by werebeasts, and an eventual miasma spread and mass infection amongst all my dwarves. I'm wondering what steps I should be taking to deal with these things? I've started locking doors, and setting up an alert to get my dwarves in a burrow.

>DF romance dialogue
>DF romance mechanics
>Toady trying to tactfully tackle the trifling issue of adventure mode reproduction

Adventurecraft
Direforged
Genesis
Fantastic Races
Morp's Assorted Creatures
Draconic Race
Hobbit Race
Minotaur Race
Spellcrafts
The Peasant and Forester's Mod

Werebeasts are super cooky this version. You need a defense system very early. Either prioritize getting 5 dorfs armed and with mail shirts ASAP, or make a drawbridge entrance with a backup bridge because werebeasts be werefasts.
Miasma is literally "you didn't make corpse and refuse stockpiles outside"

>finally finish ridiculous fortress defense project
>dying to try it out
>haven't had a single invasion in 3 years
Urist Wants To Be Hardcore But His Dev Won't Let Him

>Miasma is literally "you didn't make corpse and refuse stockpiles outside"
I had fairly large piles a little bit away, but something tells me the dwarves only stopped moving the bodies because of the 3 werepanthers in the fortress.

Oh yeah.
That happens.
If you don't control the infection as soon as it happens it's game over man, game over.
"Control" involves drawbridges by the way

I've noticed most of these guides don't prioritize things like traps, defenses, and a military early on at all. I'm probably going to hit those sections of the guide next, but it seems like I'm spending way too much time on food.

>dragonsis

The game legitimately used to be very safe in the first 2 years, werebeasts are kind of the odd one out

I hope eventually adventurer werebeasts can lose total control.
>transforming during your weekly midnight conspiracy meeting, taking credit for the killings and becoming a celebrated patriot
>transforming at home surrounded by family
>transforming inside prison
>transforming while trying to sneak

wat

In the next release people can probably try to game the system by coming equipped for combat and starting raids and then killing/looting any retaliation forces

The stealth system may be kinda simple right now but its youtube.com/watch?v=2MKGy2cg4Wk

how you can sneak around almost invisible in a blizzard, murking bandits one-by-one

Butcher skill only affects the time it takes you to butcher things, not the returns or anything right?
Having one dedicated butcher frustrates me so much, I'm thinking of just making like 5 butcher's shops and enabling butchery on all my haulers.

How can I scroll through events faster when I'm checking out a site in legends mode? I only know about just pressing the down arrow key.

I can imagine Toady sitting there wracking his brain over how to implement sex but its pretty simple. Just have a Sims like woohoo mechanic where two characters strip and flash hearts until they wear each other out. Such a thing would be necessary for roleplay reasons. Their should also be other romance actions like kissing and courtship but there would no reason have anything that would allow the sort of "perversion" Toady seems to be afraid of.

Butcher skill is basically useless.

How would that would? Would your character randomly path towards NPCs and attack them. To be honest that would make be irritating to be a werecreature. It is best to allow the player to roleplay things like that.

very poor advice.

first of all, werebeasts are NOT hard. as long as you bring one soldier when you embark, and have him train from the start, you'll be well prepared for any werebeast attack.

second, it's NOT advisable to have a corpse stockpile outside. not only does it become exposed to necromancers, but it also takes up needless space, and potentially scares merchants away.

instead, you should dump corpses in a pit that's deep enough to hide its contents from anyone standing on the top. if you want, you can add a drawbridge at the bottom, as a trash compactor.

build the stockpiles inside, use two sets of doors to contain the miasma, and priority is in not letting werebeasts into the fort in the first place, if people do get attacked by it then read the combat logs and quarantine them, if they don't transform into werebeasts at the next full moon they are safe (dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Calendar)

How can I block Forgotten Beasts from coming through the underground lake if they can destroy bars?

1v1ing a werebeast is just asking for trouble. They're legendary wrestlers. That's why you just get a bunch of people a weapon ASAP.
A garbage pit is better, sure, but it's not automatic like a stockpile.

Are underwater fortifications still buggy?
If so, you can do a toilet bend and install a floor grate in there. Buildings can't be destroyed from below.

Make a garbage airlock if you want to keep miasma in well.

>The slow but deadly werecrab
>There once was a werebeast, so slow that it never got noticed by the watch tower
>One wood cutter swears he saw it
>The other dwarves laugh, claiming his story is nothing but a fairy tale
>The werecrab invasion was so slow that for a long time it went unnoticed
>Fast forward 10 years, the werecrab population is about 60 now
>Envoy of crab people comes, name is Stabbo Crabbo
>He becomes a candidate for election, everyone thinks this is some kind of joke
>All the werecrabs vote for him, slaughter of dwarves is promoted
>tfw last dwarf left, build a little mini fort across a river
>Two winters later I notice that there are a load of crabs frozen in the water
>Start baiting every last crab into water before winter
>Tell other villages the secret of the crabs slowness, we work to rid the mountain homes of the crab infection

I'm on a flat glacier, should I just carve houses from the ice?

The name is nice.

>The Hope of Kings

Sounds like a bargain bin fantasy novel.

>bargain bin fantasy novel
That's the Dwarf Fortress world history in a nutshell though.

Hardly

>8 year old elf kills weretapir with bare hands

Do underground lakes replenish?

I got some badgers fucking my shit up, can I do anything to help my injured doggos or do I just accept their death?

Animal Caretakers aren't actually implemented.
Put it out of its misery.

All you can do for them is destroy the badgers, hope that the dogs recover on their own

daily reminder that removing tantrum spirals made the game too easy

Well, if your puppers are just injured, not mutilated, there's a good chance they will heal on their own.
I believe there was a dfhack plugin that attempted to provide some vet care functionality, but don't quote me on that.

Is there a way to make a creature caste only give birth to more creatures of that caste? I'm trying to make a race that's comprised of a small group of wizard types and a majority of short-lived, burly troglodytes. Could I make it so that the wizards only give birth to more wizards?

How to make a carpet?
Important people's room have armor stands, coffers, cabinets, beds, tables, chairs and statues as of now. Anything else?

>looking through my embark profiles
Heh

Butcher something like a yak then individually spread the hairs on the floor tiles you want to be carpets.

>no items

how does that even work

Do coins have a quality? My autism needs to know.

Put them back in yourself. Increase both stress vulnerability and anger propensity.

Speaking of names.

guys the kea stole all of my starting battle axes (3)
how do i chop tree nao??

Wait for the caravan.

Aren't you glad they didn't take the Tetrahedrite (4)

toaddy

HOW DO I STOP WERESKIN WEAVER IT KEEPS CORRUPT MUH DWARVES

dumb frog/wojak posters.

Found an underground waterfall, it looks amazing.

actually underground, or in a deep canyon?

Underground.

in 42.x-43.x?
pretty cool, the only time I've seen that was when worldgen fucked up and a cavern lake was emptying into a lava tube on embark in fort mode. looked neat for a few seconds but completely destroyed FPS

Asking once again in case anyone knows this tileset. Sorry for the annoyance.

did you check the tileset repository on the wiki?

I think it's this, and the color scheme is this
dwarffortresswiki . org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme#Dark_Sand

Not him, but linking to the wiki isn't even banned on Veeky Forums. There's no need for spaces

I've checked the repository and couldn't find it. Myne looks close but tiles like dorfs are different. Thanks anyway.

And here's the one i've been using.

Yeah, I know it looks different, but I play with the tileset and they looks like the picture you posted. Don't know how it works, or if it's just really similar.

I don't know what sites are banned and which aren't, so I played it safe. I know I've tried to post links before and been auto-banned for a day without warning.

>Not just disconnecting your modem for 10 minutes when you get banned
Did you seriously wait an entire day?

Yeah I waited. I don't get banned often, so I didn't know you could just unplug it and it'd change your IP.

Manager is my favorite noble.

No. nononono. What toady should do is add new bodyparts a la Obok MeatGod

the thread shudders and begins to move

>new embark, going good
>forgotten beast appears
>kills my high master potash maker, high master gelder, and legendary potter
abandoned the fortress right then and there

Does anyone think a 3 week tournament was too long?

At two weeks I think it would have been perfect, but 3 weeks of "hype" was unsustainable.

Why are dorfs so opulent?

I got my hands on a Hydra and wondered if there is any way to make it fully tame?

do i have to tweak some scripts

It's actually going to be 4 weeks long though.

wew

Need to add child tags to Hydra raws, found in creatures_standard.txt, and get a breeding pair, the offspring can be fully domesticated, breeding pair cannot.

Need to add both somewhere, don't know if location is important. In example, hydraling is singular and hydralings is plural, change it to whatever you like. I think that's it.
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:hydraling:hydralings]
[CHILD:1]

>At two weeks I think it would have been perfect, but 3 weeks of "hype" was unsustainable.
we don't need constant hype, though.

just because we have a fun tourney going on, it doesn't mean that life doesn't go on as usual in the general. having everyone being "hype" throughout the entire week would kill the normal posting off entirely, and we'd have a solid month where bay12ers post about ebin crabystaby.

>mead
>beer
>wine
>made in a still

Thanks

how to edit RAWS to add a penis so I can rape people to death in adventure mode?

Does Toady have a gf? Has Toady ever had a gf? I need the answer.

>go to body_default
>find entry for finger
>make a copy, rename it to penis
>increase size a bit, remove [DIGIT]
>add the new bodypart to your race of choice
>give the bodypart some lulzy attacks
Enjoy having every fight turn into a rapefest.

I've heard that he had one once, but I don't know if it's true.

I've also heard about a missing third brother, who you get banned if you mention on the forums.

I believed you until you talked about a missing 3rd brother.

Toady, his brother and cats are basically devoted full-time to dwarf fortress it seems. He dropped out of college and basically had a mental breakdown before working on this, I always feel like Toady may not be getting the most out of his life. Not trying to insult the guy I can just relate to the situation and it's kind of sad.

>eat too much food one
>nauseous for the rest of eternity
okay. Has anyone ever successfully demanded an item in adventure mode? Seems everyone will just scream "over my dead body" and will never give up anything, even if you break every bone in their body

thats just not true, i'm pretty sure he finished college and i've never heard abut a mental breakdown

I could have sworn Toady got depressed, stopped pursuing his masters and tried some hard drug.

Yeah. I think it depends on their "stubbornness" to some degree, and since soldiers tend to become more stubborn and emotionless it can be troublesome to get them to yield. Also, companions tend to not care that they've yielded and will still kill them.

He got a thesis published iirc.

I also heard about the drug thing though.

he's done meth before but i think all mathematicians do meth

I wonder if there's a way to prevent attacks from counting as hostile.

And if you could give it specific entries in the combat reports...

Consensual sex in the missionary position RP mod when?

All good mathematicians do meth.

that user got it all wrong.

in a sense, he did drop out of university. he "dropped out" of being a researcher, rather than dropping out of his studies. he has a ph.d in math.

he did get burned out working at the university, so he quit. he had a bit of money stuffed away, so he decided to work full time on his latest game (guess which) for a year before finding another job. then he got so much in donations that he decided to stick to DF instead.

IIRC His brother passed out when they both tried it and Toady thought he overdosed and freaked out until he woke up.

>Coded by a meth head

Explains a lot

As the empire of the Rock of Gripping slowly crumbles to a vicious war with the savage green folk, a team of seven are dispatched to utilise the power of a fiery spire trapped in ice as a desperate last stand against the green threat

Very very nice. I've never done an ice embark, what exactly does that entail? will you still get caravans/migrants/sieges?