Veeky Forums, why are americans obsessed with pickup trucks? Everywhere else...

Veeky Forums, why are americans obsessed with pickup trucks? Everywhere else, pickup truks are something you own because you have to, not because you like them, they're work vehicles, yet americans buy them for general use.
They're big ass, clumsy, inconvenient vehicles that don't fit anywhere, get terrible mileag for the amount of speed they can reach, the newer ones can't even be used for offroading, but if you wanted to go offroading you'd buy a 4x4 and they're ugly as hell!

If you want to understand why Americans do things you may want to learn more about America.

Out cities are new so even heavy duty trucks fit everywhere.
New ones can be used off road, I think you are confusing trucks with crossover suvs.
The are convenient, as you have tremendous storage.
Nobody cares about gas mileage, gas is 2.25 a gallon.
Almost all new cars are ugly.

I must be the only europoor that likes amerishit trucks. I want a f150 raptor so sosososo bad

this abhorrent piece of shit is worse than any truck yet it's a best seller in both europe and north america

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer one of these?

I'd love one of those too yes

Or perhaps this is more your style...

well I'm not an aussie so not born into a ferd v holden rivalry so either would do. utes and aussie muscle are ridiculously cool tho. euro cars are so boring desu

A lot of trucks can in fact serve well off road. They typically come loaded with a plethora of tow/haul features, and the fact that most all trucks on the road today are crew cab means people don't need their truck to serve as a single purpose work vehicle. An V6TT F150 can get 16mpg~ which while isn't great, is respectable for its power and towing capability.
They also fit everywhere. I have no idea what you're talking about here. Unless you have a house with a detached garage built in the 1930s its going to fit in any parking space.

Its a good looking car. I saw an X6M in a deep blue in Minneapolis about a week ago. The thing is fucking gorgeous.

it's oversized and cramped inside and can't go off road nor a very good city dweller. why not just get an x5?

>be American
>actually own a pickup truck because I have to
>loathe the impracticality of having to daily it and wish I could afford to have my shitbox back in the road

Feels bad man

The X6 has a cooler body.

>16mpg in the tt
I averaged 17 in the '15 5.0 with cruise set at 80 hauling 600lbs of weight in the bed. For the most part it was downhill.

>Be American
>Bought fun shit boxes
>Now desperately need a truck, constantly borrowing the old man's Ford

and it's infinitely shittier

I mean, I guess. It still looks awesome. Thats why it sells.

Here in Brazil I've been seeing a lot of pickup trucks become mom cars which like suvs they use to terrorize and cause chaos on the road.

We are too fat to fit into even the largest luxury cars so trucks are the next logical choice. Added benefits include being able to fit plenty of bud light and hot dogs in the back, frequent trips to the gas station means more coke, and poor people have to look up to you.

He's wrong about the TT. I get 19 in mine, 14 when towing

As an American living in Maine and the owner of a camp on the side of a Mountian and a 2017 Silverado, I can say that you CAN use new trucks offroad. I have a 6000lb boat I pull with it. I also use my truck to drive to NY a few times a year (800 mile round trip). This is not my only vehicle but if I could only own one it would be a full-size truck because it fits my life best. Not right for everyone but is for me.

These truck can be very versatile. I admit they are not cheap to buy or run but if you need to move 1000lbs up a trail there is no other way.

Oh, and as to millage my 99 M3 with a 3.2L weighs 3200lbs and gets 28 MPG on the highway. My 17 Silverado with a 5.3L weighs 5500lbs and gets 22 MPG on the highway.

I think that is pretty good for what it is.

I can scrape 20 mpg out of mine if I don't get impatient and pass every Fiat I see.

Just went outside and took this picture. Proof of my millage. The Average is low because it has been in the 20's F so I have been warming it up a lot. That kills the millage but keeps me warm so well worth it. The Best was on a 150
unloaded road trip.

Having that in Europe is super cool. Is it hard to find dealers / Parts?

I visit Warsaw from time to time. I wish I could take my Silverado with me once. Would be fun HAHA.

You sound poor and salty

They're convenient, practical and can be lots of fun.

>They're big ass, clumsy, inconvenient vehicles that don't fit anywhere,
Americans don't live in ancient cities with streets made for foot traffic and the occasional carriage, pickups fit fine everywhere here you ignorant twat.

>get terrible mileag for the amount of speed they can reach,
Gas mileage is only a concern for the super poor in the US, because gasoline is cheap. Speed? People don't buy them to be fast.

>the newer ones can't even be used for offroading,
What in the living fuck are you talking about? If you buy a 4x4 pickup, you can easily use it for offroading, whether it's a 1970 or a 2017.

>but if you wanted to go offroading you'd buy a 4x4
They're all available as 4x4 you dipshit.

>and they're ugly as hell!
Subjective. I find the truck in your picture nice to look at, far nicer than your shitty opel diesel hatchback.

Pretty much impossible. I have parts shipped in from a friend that works at a dealer in Texas.

No kidding. How did you get it? So you must have no warranty support at all.

There's some way to get warranty support, it's from a .mil dealer on the base here, I just never looked into it because it's only a few months before I ship it back to the US.

SUVs are better than trucks

Oh, I did not realize you were mil. Cool

I want a subaru Baja so bad

I know a lot of pickup shits who aren't into any form of construction, they tell me it's because one time out of every year, they have to haul something. Or you hear "what if I moved". I immediately say you can rent a truck for 4 hours, or rent a moving van. There is like this stigma that renting another car makes you gay or something. It's stupid because they always say they really want a fun sports car.

Another thing is trucks now a days are well accommodated just as well if not better than most american cars inside. But basically all of these. Also cultural thing of big truck and freedom and utility it brings (kind of goes under convenient) especially in rural areas where a truck is basically seen as the go to for basically most people.

Ohhhh no why Americans spend 80k on trucks !!! Why ??? Get fucked 3rd world shit hole

Lol a decked out suburban gets better mpg than that, with a v8

Truth

Do you really not know the answer to this?

In America, trucks are marketed as "rugged" and "manly." Therefore, retard consumers believe that if they buy a truck, it will convey an image of rugged manliness, which is seen as a desirable trait among many Americans.

This in addition to people who actually need trucks for their job, and you see the number of trucks we have on the road.

Who /4runner/ here?

>t.asshurt euro

>4 hours
I typically need one for 3 days minimum. They arent that cheap to rent and I have to haul shit several times throughout the year. Thankfully I just borrow one from family.

Call this ugly
I DARE you

What a cuckmobile.

You should have got an avalanche. They are super comfy and they carry alot of shit

Nice truck. What wheels?

Modern US trucks are suped up hotrods with a bed attached. if you call something a truck you can get away with a lot more in terms of engine size and emissions.

No need to call it ugly when in truth its actually hideous.

I get around 22mpg in my 2.7 driving normally.
12mpg if im in sport mode doing burnouts at every light I hit in town and just driving like a nigger.

Off-road capability of my 16' is great, never gotten stuck and have gone through some dicey shit.

Veeky Forums is just upset that modern trucks are comfy, get good gas mileage, drive well, are faster than their shitbox and can do real work.

I agree with OP. If you use the bed of your truck even a couple times a year, then sure you can justify having it. But 80% of people who buy pick ups literally don't need them at all. This one wanna-be country girl I know wanted a pick up just cuz. The worst are the brodozers who lift the shit out of their trucks and they don't even see an ounce of dirt.

there is no reason commuter-cucks need to be getting below 30mpg in this day and age
"gas is cheap"
your grandkids gas aint gonna be cheap
good bye recreational motorsports, come 100years from now

They're hard to park, require precision dri ing in the inner cities and the shit ton of older cities all around, take a shit ton of gas even if it's cheap, and you pay all of those prices for a load of unnecessary storage that you use 15 at most out of 369 days.
Not all of the cities have space, that's a shit eating bullshit faced mouth ass shitting fucking lie.

Go to almost any fucking city, and as long as you're not in the middle of nowhere, parking is shit.

>ugh why the fuck do other countries have different cultures? wtf dude

Mainebro

I miss it. Moving back the millisecond I get out of the service.

>thinking an X6 looks good
It's fucking horrendous. Looks like a retarded obese 5 series

But gas isnt cheap by any means where I live in Cuckada.
If you want something nice you have to be able to afford to both maintain and run it.

Sure I could buy a slow econoshit and get 30+mpg but its neither comfy or fun to drive.

I waste 135$ a week on gas and it means fuck all to me because the amount of times I actually need a truck just makes it worth it to own one and DD it.

I'm British and have a soft spot for utility pickups, less so the luxury seppo ones.
I drive an Isuzu D-Max on site and it's great, it's RWD in 2wd so when we've had a bit of rain it'll happily drift

Cool, what about the actual functional parts of the car?

I’ve got an F150 XL extended cab. It’s a fucking great vehicle for every day use and for when I take my dirtbike as well as family or friends bikes to the mountains. You just can’t get to certain staging areas in an SUV and trailer like you can with a truck

>post 95 4runner
absolutely disgusting

>you may want to learn more about America
Like how everyone categorizes everything around them into stereotypes, and how some people spend horrendous amounts of money just to live out an image or keep up with the joneses, and how people are generally bad with money and no other country is so much in debt for cars?

This. I know I am doing the same thing by categorising Americans as people who categorise.

But where do you think the terms millennial, gen X, baby boomer comes, ricer, jock, goth, redneck, nerd and every other form of category comes from?

Thanks, They are the Factory Midnight Wheels

Sweet Jeep, Be safe buddy.

The boat I pull with the truck. It is 6,000lbs on the trailer. The truck is rated to 12,000lbs Pulls no problem.

>Sure I could buy a slow econoshit and get 30+mpg but its neither comfy or fun to drive.
luxury vehicle

>5000lb sedan that can struggle to fit 2 sets of golf clubs

or

>A truck with lots of interior room and stupid room in the bed (even a shortcuck bed) that can also pull the boat or travel trailer.

You euro's talk shit then you move here and the first thing you buy is a big truck and SUV.

>>A truck with lots of interior room and stupid room in the bed (even a shortcuck bed) that can also pull the boat or travel trailer.
as your sit-in-traffic daily-driver, grocery-getter

>capable of going off road
>can tow a lot of weight
>cargo not limited by the dimensions of the vehicle (comes in very handy if you're transporting dirt bikes)
>look good
>can do pretty much everything a car can, with the exception of gas mileage and parking (only an issue in some parts of the world)
Why not? It's better than some shitty SUV

I'm not sure where this idea of a truck that isn't used for work comes from. As soon as you buy a truck, you become "the guy with a truck". This P.O.S. gets constant use on top of being a daily.

Where is your bumper user

Most people who drive a truck don't go downtown, there's usually nothing there but bars and hipster stuff.

In my garage. My dad ran into a lamp post and bent it.

>hard to park
Learn how to park
>require percision driving
Learn how to drive
>take a shit ton of gas
Stop being poor/get a real job
>cities dont have space
Make space and park on the curb

I've never met anyone who owns a truck that doesn't use it for truck purposes and I know thousands and thousands of people

i have tons of truck driving friends whose truckbeds are almost always empty

>almost
Yea, but when they're not, they have something in it.
Checkmate.

Yeah and there's millions of "sports cars" that will never see a track.

I think part of the problem here is that parking a pickup truck where you live is something you can do, whereas if i tried to park one in my city i'd actually have to park a good half an hour out of the CBD to find enough space.

yeah so as a fucking dailydriver commuter this is fucking stupid

Not really. Buying a car when you actually need a truck is stupid. Even if you only use it for truck purposes once a month. Trucks are also safer than cars and women find truck owners more attractive.

A truck is way more practical overall compared to a sports car even if you don't use it for "truck things". Even compared to a sedan in the same price bracket they're more practical.

I need my 4x4 so I can carry around my dirt bikes

Trucks are a cheap in to v8 torque, sound good, burnouts, etc. Great visibility, I can parallel park a truck better than I can an economy car. If 4x4 they're great in winter as long as you're not a raging idiot that thinks you're invincible on the road. If it's older then you don't have to worry about people rear ending you or dinging it.

The whole driving experience is fucking trash though. Constantly gotta saw the wheel to even keep it going straight. Corners are scary even at the speed limit. Obviously fuel economy sucks. But in that case just make some money and suck it up.

>constantly have to saw thr wheel to keep it straight.
Sounds like your driving an older truck or the steering columns fucked.

My 16' f150 holds straight and if I sawed the wheel like I have to on my 77' f250 id be smashing into everyone on the road.
Corners are also a breeze in the newer gen trucks, all the electronic gizmos make you have to pull the ABS fuse out to get them proper sideways. Otherwise tcs/stability kicks in even when you hit that little off button.

Yup called it. My daily used to be an older truck. Most old trucks I've driven are just like I described. I drove a new Tacoma recently and it was like driving a tight new car. Stable in the corners. Good traction control and ABS. Steering is tight. But having an old torquey v8 with no nannies definitely will wake you up in the morning on a rainy day when you give it a little too much gas.

t. should I get a wrx or a type-r Veeky Forums poster

really he should get both

As a pickup owner, i'm gonna have to agree with this... i prefer 2 doors over 4 doors though.

The only upside for a 4 door is the extra payload.

I recently bought my first truck and love it. 2017 Ram Rebel. Before this I’ve had all kinds of stuff, 4-banger shitboxes to V8 coupes. This is the nicest vehicle I’ve ever had though. It’s fully loaded so has all the bells and whistles, and the 5.7 hemi is a nice upgrade from the V6 I was in before.

if I was going to get a truck it would probably be a doge

Much Mopar. Very utility.

Not hating on your truck or anything... but god damn the Rebel is so underwhelming. Same can be said for the Powerwagon.

same here dude, congrats those new Dodges look great

Underwhelming how so?

I understand the power wagon. It has a 6.4L Hemi making 410 hp and the 5.7L Hemi makes 395 hp. And the power wagon is quite a bit bigger.

I just bought a black truck and am gonna plastidip/tint everything.

How douche am I?

Some of us have great trucks to have a great time!

The Tahoe is still a truck

>watching kneeball

And see our beautiful country

And camp in amazing places